Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. (/Thread-If-I-m-Bengals-Maybe-No-Free-Agents-NOW)

Pages: 1 2

If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - kevin - 03-17-2020

The Paul Brown way was to build through the draft. Get them young and into your system ways. That was how he built The Cleveland Browns Championship Years. That was pretty much how Bengals went to 2 Super Bowls as he was the owner.

Now you have Wall Street and Main Street taking a huge Depression like hit during the start of this World virus thing that everybody from The President to Medical says will indeed get worse before it gets better.

I could see The Bengals not spending a dime in Free Agency Now, At This Time. Holding on to their money for any losses they may have coming. We assume there will be a season, but who knows. The Bengals do have the Top Picks in every round coming in April.

I'll add the LB and OT we got around free agency time from Buffalo Bills sure was a waste of money a couple years ago.

All things considered, maybe it's best to go back to Paul Brown ways and just try to keep your own players that you can keep at a fair price, and draft in top college talent. With the near future uncertain in all business including the NFL, maybe Cool Hand Luke is right and nothing is a real cool hand. Maybe not a good time for Bengals to do much in Free Agency and the Franchise and Future will be Financially more sound going into new decade for the money they don't throw around March of 2020. In business it is known as sandbagging. Hold on to their money now for any losses they may be hit with in this World Crises, and when things recover The Bengals are one of few teams ready to get back to business as normal, because they didn't chase mega buck players March of 2020.

I'll add that if there is a season, many may not have the money to buy tickets. Small businesses are in great peril. In hard economic times, the first thing you do is sell the boat and cancel your NFL tickets. Fans in the Stands may be a real problem. Raising ticket prices would be very unwise. Maybe cut spending, and that starts with mega buck free agents who may not fit your teams system anyway. Again, the Bengals broke the bank on the LB and OT from Buffalo and the result was the 2 worst seasons in Bengals History.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Gdale_Bengal - 03-17-2020

Let's not take risks because of past mistakes. That isnt a good thing.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Fullrock - 03-17-2020

The Bengals hardly "broke the bank" when they signed Preston Brown in free agency to a 1 year 4 million dollar contract, and they traded for Glenn who made 11 million in 2018 and 9 million in 2019...a bargain for a starting left tackle.

This way of backward thinking will get you nowhere fast, especially on a team with glaring holes at multiple positions.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Gamma Ray Tan - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 08:14 AM)kevin Wrote: The Paul Brown way was to build through the draft. Get them young and into your system ways. That was how he built The Cleveland Browns Championship Years. That was pretty much how Bengals went to 2 Super Bowls as he was the owner.

Now you have Wall Street and Main Street taking a huge Depression like hit during the start of this World virus thing that everybody from The President to Medical says will indeed get worse before it gets better.

I could see The Bengals not spending a dime in Free Agency Now, At This Time. Holding on to their money for any losses they may have coming. We assume there will be a season, but who knows. The Bengals do have the Top Picks in every round coming in April.

I'll add the LB and OT we got around free agency time from Buffalo Bills sure was a waste of money a couple years ago.

All things considered, maybe it's best to go back to Paul Brown ways and just try to keep your own players that you can keep at a fair price, and draft in top college talent. With the near future uncertain in all business including the NFL, maybe Cool Hand Luke is right and nothing is a real cool hand. Maybe not a good time for Bengals to do much in Free Agency and the Franchise and Future will be Financially more sound going into new decade for the money they don't throw around March of 2020. In business it is known as sandbagging. Hold on to their money now for any losses they may be hit with in this World Crises, and when things recover The Bengals are one of few teams ready to get back to business as normal, because they didn't chase mega buck players March of 2020.

I'll add that if there is a season, many may not have the money to buy tickets. Small businesses are in great peril. In hard economic times, the first thing you do is sell the boat and cancel your NFL tickets. Fans in the Stands may be a real problem. Raising ticket prices would be very unwise. Maybe cut spending, and that starts with mega buck free agents who may not fit your teams system anyway. Again, the Bengals broke the bank on the LB and OT from Buffalo and the result was the 2 worst seasons in Bengals History.

In these most uncertain economic times, let us turn out thoughts and prayers to the BILLIONAIRES. Maybe we can start a fund drive or telethon to help them. Are you serious?

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - RunKijanaRun - 03-17-2020

This post gave me COVID-19.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Nately120 - 03-17-2020

Instead of looking at what teams are doing to win now, we need to look at what teams did to win 60 years ago.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 03-17-2020

It's all well and good saying building through the draft but this only works if you retain players you draft. The Bengals have already lost Clayton Fejedelem and may additionally lose Billings, Dennard and Eifert, cut Kirkpatrick etc. This is on a roster which already has lots of gaps.

I'm on board with building primarily through the draft (gaps need to then be plugged in Free Agency) but the Bengals need to do a better job of retaining their own - someone like Fejedelem was affordable and very much had a role to play.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - ochocincos - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 08:14 AM)kevin Wrote: The Paul Brown way was to build through the draft.  Get them young and into your system ways. That was how he built The Cleveland Browns Championship Years. That was pretty much how Bengals went to 2 Super Bowls as he was the owner.

I could see The Bengals not spending a dime in Free Agency Now, At This Time.  Holding on to their money for any losses they may have coming.  We assume there will be a season, but who knows.  The Bengals do have the Top Picks in every round coming in April.

All things considered, maybe it's best to go back to Paul Brown ways and just try to keep your own players that you can keep at a fair price, and draft in top college talent.  With the near future uncertain in all business including the NFL, maybe Cool Hand Luke is right and nothing is a real cool hand.  Maybe not a good time for Bengals to do much in Free Agency and the Franchise and Future will be Financially more sound going into new decade for the money they don't throw around March of 2020.  In business it is known as sandbagging.  Hold on to their money now for any losses they may be hit with in this World Crises, and when things recover The Bengals are one of few teams ready to get back to business as normal, because they didn't chase mega buck players March of 2020.

I'll add that if there is a season, many may not have the money to buy tickets.  Small businesses are in great peril.  In hard economic times, the first thing you do is sell the boat and cancel your NFL tickets.  Fans in the Stands may be a real problem.  Raising ticket prices would be very unwise.  Maybe cut spending, and that starts with mega buck free agents who may not fit your teams system anyway. Again, the Bengals broke the bank on the LB and OT from Buffalo and the result was the 2 worst seasons in Bengals History.

Build through the draft worked for Paul Brown for a couple reasons:
1) He actually knew what he was doing and could identify and coach up talent
2) Free Agency wasn't a thing while he was alive. There was no worry of drafting a good player and seeing them leave for another team. If that happened, it's because your franchise chose to part ways with that player.\

Today's NFL teams cannot function like the old days. You have to pay some top players if you want to compete for a championship.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - TheLeonardLeap - 03-17-2020

"The Paul Brown way was to build through the draft" ...because the NFL didn't have full blown FA until 1992, a year after his death.

/bad thread premise

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - TheLeonardLeap - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 09:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Instead of looking at what teams are doing to win now, we need to look at what teams did to win 60 years ago.

Time to run an offense without forward passes?

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Nately120 - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 09:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Time to run an offense without forward passes?

And a pass rush made entirely of Irish guys with at least one Italian halfback. 

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - RunKijanaRun - 03-17-2020

Leather helmets. The veer. No African American players.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - Sled21 - 03-17-2020

You realize they HAVE to spend a minimum amount of money, right? They can't just hold onto it.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - XenoMorph - 03-17-2020

well no Free agents now cause bengals don't announce things until they have Signed... And no one can sign yet unless they were previously cut from their team...

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - XenoMorph - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 10:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize they HAVE to spend a minimum amount of money, right? They can't just hold onto it.

And they do... they generally spend most of it each year.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - WeezyBengal - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 08:14 AM)kevin Wrote: The Paul Brown way was to build through the draft.  Get them young and into your system ways. That was how he built The Cleveland Browns Championship Years. That was pretty much how Bengals went to 2 Super Bowls as he was the owner.

I could see The Bengals not spending a dime in Free Agency Now, At This Time.  Holding on to their money for any losses they may have coming.  We assume there will be a season, but who knows.  The Bengals do have the Top Picks in every round coming in April.

All things considered, maybe it's best to go back to Paul Brown ways and just try to keep your own players that you can keep at a fair price, and draft in top college talent.  With the near future uncertain in all business including the NFL, maybe Cool Hand Luke is right and nothing is a real cool hand.  Maybe not a good time for Bengals to do much in Free Agency and the Franchise and Future will be Financially more sound going into new decade for the money they don't throw around March of 2020.  In business it is known as sandbagging.  Hold on to their money now for any losses they may be hit with in this World Crises, and when things recover The Bengals are one of few teams ready to get back to business as normal, because they didn't chase mega buck players March of 2020.

I'll add that if there is a season, many may not have the money to buy tickets.  Small businesses are in great peril.  In hard economic times, the first thing you do is sell the boat and cancel your NFL tickets.  Fans in the Stands may be a real problem.  Raising ticket prices would be very unwise.  Maybe cut spending, and that starts with mega buck free agents who may not fit your teams system anyway. Again, the Bengals broke the bank on the LB and OT from Buffalo and the result was the 2 worst seasons in Bengals History.

What the **** are you talking about? 

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - michaelsean - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 09:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Instead of looking at what teams are doing to win now, we need to look at what teams did to win 60 years ago.

Yeah we just got Mikey to embrace Plan B free agency.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - BURROWorBUST - 03-17-2020

This virus crisis will be over soon, and the economy will bounce back. With the fed down to 0-0.25%, I'm on my way down to the bank to refinance EVERYTHING, and I'm calling my broker. Time to BUY!!

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - bengalfan74 - 03-17-2020

Sounds good  :andy:

(03-17-2020, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Build through the draft worked for Paul Brown for a couple reasons:
1) He actually knew what he was doing and could identify and coach up talent
2) Free Agency wasn't a thing while he was alive. There was no worry of drafting a good player and seeing them leave for another team. If that happened, it's because your franchise chose to part ways with that player.\

Today's NFL teams cannot function like the old days. You have to pay some top players if you want to compete for a championship.

Right PB built thru the draft because, well um, that's the only way there was.

RE: If I'm Bengals, Maybe No Free Agents NOW. - bengalfan74 - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 10:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: And they do... they generally spend most of it each year.

If only it was spent correctly on the right players huh ?