Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: {The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} (/Thread-The-Ultimate-ANDY-DALTON-Mega-Thread)

RE: DALTON ON THE RISE IN QB STATS - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-24-2017

(11-24-2017, 10:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not so sure I'd take Cam over Andy, tbh. Just compare the stats:

By my count, Andy wins 2 of those years (2013, 2016), Cam wins 2 (2011, 2015) and the rest are too close to call.

+1! These stats are amazing. I didn’t realize how close Cam and Andy are.

RE: DALTON ON THE RISE IN QB STATS - bfine32 - 11-24-2017

(11-24-2017, 09:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I look at the 2011 quarterback draft class.  Who, besides maybe Cam Newton, would have been a better selection for the Bengals than Andy Dalton?

Tyrod Taylor in the 6th RD

RE: DALTON ON THE RISE IN QB STATS - Brownshoe - 11-24-2017

(11-24-2017, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tyrod Taylor in the 6th RD

Did you forget the Ninja ? Not being sarcastic.

RE: DALTON ON THE RISE IN QB STATS - bengalfan74 - 11-24-2017

(11-24-2017, 06:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's what happens when you average 68.0 yards rushing on 3.0 per carry. I've been a stats nerd for 25 years and I can't recall many teams having a run game that bad.

Our complete lack of anything slightly resembling a running game is killing EVERYTHING ELSE about this team !

Opposing teams know they can basically double AJ every play, stay in a soft zone underneath and they have nothing to fear from our rush attack.

It's like baseball players facing a pitcher with nothing but a fastball ! Doesn't matter if he throws it 96 MPH they're gonna knock the cover off the ball on a regular basis, they can get the timing with ease !

RE: DALTON ON THE RISE IN QB STATS - Nicomo Cosca - 11-25-2017

(11-24-2017, 10:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: +1! These stats are amazing. I didn’t realize how close Cam and Andy are.

Since they’re that close I’ll go with the QB than took his team to the SB...

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 11-25-2017

(11-25-2017, 01:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Since they’re that close I’ll go with the QB than took his team to the SB...

I'll keep the QB we got and take Riverboat Ron.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - TheLeonardLeap - 11-27-2017

Updated Dalton Stats (Post-Zampese):
9 games
64% completion
1,978 yards (7.7 YPA)
18 TD/4 INT
104.1 QB Rating

Averaged Out For 16 Games:
16 games
64% completion
3,516 yards (7.7 YPA)
32 TD/7 INT
104.1 QB Rating

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -

I can only imagine the type of numbers he'd put up with a good OL to boot. I think 2015 Dalton is still clearly there, and getting better no less. Those two Zampese games are pure garbage and they're having to gimp the offense due to the OL, but he's still doing really quite well under Lazor.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - PhilHos - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 03:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Updated Dalton Stats (Post-Zampese):
9 games
64% completion
1,978 yards (7.7 YPA)
18 TD/4 INT
104.1 QB Rating
Heck, even if you add the 2 Zampese games, he STILL has a 92.5 QB rating on the season. But, yeah, I can TOTALLY see how he'sa problem on this team. Rolleyes

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - TheLeonardLeap - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 04:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Heck, even if you add the 2 Zampese games, he STILL has a 92.5 QB rating on the season. But, yeah, I can TOTALLY see how he'sa problem on this team. Rolleyes

That 92.5 is good for 15th in the NFL (out of 35).

If you look at the post-Zampese 104.1, that'd put him at tied for 3rd in the NFL. and 0.4 behind 2nd.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-27-2017

(11-27-2017, 04:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That 92.5 is good for 15th in the NFL (out of 35).

If you look at the post-Zampese 104.1, that'd put him at tied for 3rd in the NFL. and 0.4 behind 2nd.

He sucks. Mellow

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - TheLeonardLeap - 11-28-2017

Even including the two Zampese games, Dalton is now 9th in the NFL in QB Rating when under pressure, and 6th in QB Rating while blitzed. 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even including the two Zampese games, Dalton is now 9th in the NFL in QB Rating when under pressure, and 6th in QB Rating while blitzed. 

Hell, he doesn't have a choice but to have good numbers against pressure.....it's almost every damn snap! LOL 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 11-29-2017

(11-28-2017, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even including the two Zampese games, Dalton is now 9th in the NFL in QB Rating when under pressure, and 6th in QB Rating while blitzed. 

This is something Dalton made a big improvement on a few seasons ago. Good to see he's still doing well in this department.

After the first couple games, I was wondering if the line had ruined him, but it looks like Zampese was just an awful OC.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - The Caped Crusader - 11-29-2017

I don't see many haters in here...driving me nuts. I'm guessing all the logic and sense drove everyone away.

Great posts by everyone. I absolutely love the statistical breakdowns and what we are seeing. I've been saying this, day in and out, that Dalton isn't the problem. He just needs a solid to decent team and a coach WILLING to win behind him.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - TheLeonardLeap - 11-29-2017

(11-29-2017, 01:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is something Dalton made a big improvement on a few seasons ago. Good to see he's still doing well in this department.

After the first couple games, I was wondering if the line had ruined him, but it looks like Zampese was just an awful OC.

Yeah, it makes me wonder how much of the huge downturn in OL play in 2016 was due to Zampese.

Obviously RT and C were still a big issue on that line regardless of OC, but no line with Whit/Boling/Zeitler should have been quite that glaringly bad.

It doesn't help that Ogbuehi/Boding/Fisher/whoever they put at RG this year are all pretty terrible, but at least Lazor seems to be trying to work around the deficiencies, trying to make at least some weakass lemonade with his lemons. Zampese seemed content to just take those lemons and suck on them.... and it's not like Lazor is an all-world OC or anything either, so it just makes Zampese look all that much worse.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-29-2017

(11-29-2017, 01:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is something Dalton made a big improvement on a few seasons ago. Good to see he's still doing well in this department.

Brother......we knew this all along.  Hell, I didn't like him as a QB coach, but one position coach homer told me he was the bestest.....lol.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 11-29-2017

(11-29-2017, 10:58 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, it makes me wonder how much of the huge downturn in OL play in 2016 was due to Zampese.

Obviously RT and C were still a big issue on that line regardless of OC, but no line with Whit/Boling/Zeitler should have been quite that glaringly bad.

It doesn't help that Ogbuehi/Boding/Fisher/whoever they put at RG this year are all pretty terrible, but at least Lazor seems to be trying to work around the deficiencies, trying to make at least some weakass lemonade with his lemons. Zampese seemed content to just take those lemons and suck on them.... and it's not like Lazor is an all-world OC or anything either, so it just makes Zampese look all that much worse.

Agreed on that. Now if we replace Ogbuehi and Bodine, I have a feeling this line will be fine next year. Maybe not great, but certainly much better than what we've seen lately.

(11-29-2017, 10:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brother......we knew this all along.  Hell, I didn't like him as a QB coach, but one position coach homer told me he was the bestest.....lol.

Yeah I remember the posts we made in the Zampese hiring thread, we all pretty much hated the move.

Funny how often dumb fans are right.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - The Caped Crusader - 12-06-2017

Write up on Dalton from BleacherReport (notably not a big fan of their posts). Has him cracking the Top 10 for the first time this season with the following post:

Quote:[Image: 09676499257a27928504f39ea2554d0e_crop_ex...crop_y=top]
Frank Victores/Associated Press
Last Week: 14
Through most of the 2017 season, the Bengals have played it safe with Andy Dalton. He came into Monday night with just one 300-plus-yard game and just two where he's thrown for three or more touchdowns. It's worked to a point, as Dalton hadn't thrown an interception in his previous five games and managed a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 7-0 in Cincinnati's three prior games, two of which were wins. In Cincinnati's 23-20 loss to the Steelers, Dalton did about what he's done all season, completing 21 of 36 passes for 234 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.
Dalton hit receiver A.J. Green on a 15-yard touchdown pass with 35 seconds left in the first quarter to put the Bengals up 17-0 with the extra point. And then the Bengals offense shut down for all intents and purposes, while the Steelers picked up the pace. In the end, Chris Boswell's 38-yard field goal as time expired gave Pittsburgh a 23-20 win, while the Bengals fell to 5-7 on the season.
Dalton looked quite good in the first half, connecting with Green on two touchdown passes, and the duo would've had a third score with 7:50 left in the third quarter on a deep throw were it not for a highly questionable holding call on running back Giovani Bernard. That penalty took the ball from the Cincinnati 39 to the 29. Though Dalton was able to connect with Brandon LaFell for 27 yards a few plays later on a well-placed sideline throw, that drive ended in a field goal. It was the last scoring the Bengals would do on the day, while the Steelers ran up 13 points and got the win in the fourth quarter.
This was a heartbreaking loss for the Bengals and a very rough game for both teams, as several players suffered serious injuries in what was a brutal contest. Dalton played well enough for the Bengals to win, but the Steelers solved his defense in the second half, and that was the difference.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 12-06-2017

This team was doomed for 2 reasons, both bad decisions by the front office.

1. Not replacing Ken Zampese after he was clearly in over his head last year.

This led to a sluggish (to put it mildly) start, and then we had to hit the panic button and give the job to Lazor, who had to slowly implement his offense midseason. Had we just given the job to Lazor in the offseason, he could've had his offense fully installed, and probably changed the run blocking scheme much sooner than week 13.

2. Neglecting the line after last year's failures.

This led to 24 sacks in the first 8 weeks, and a constant feeling that the offense was searching for ways to mask a bad line. We've passed a lot less than we ever have (Dalton averaging a career low 30.0 attempts) and a lot less than Zampese's offense did in Miami. We've been running more quick passes than ever. Partly to offset the pass rush, partly to make up for a terrible run game. Even after 2 straight good games, we're still 30th in both rush yards and YPC. That should tell you how bad the run game was over the first 10 games.

The line has been a major issue for 2 years, and a late season mini-surge isn't going to change my mind about change next year.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dalton for his part has done extremely well. Throwing 20 TD's to only 4 INT's with a 103.1 rating since Lazor's promotion.

He's now gone 6 straight games without an INT, and has multiple TD passes in 8 of 10 games.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - PhilHos - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 02:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. Neglecting the line after last year's failures.
I don't know if I'll ever understand how they could do this. The line was HORRIBLE last year. Everyone and their mother knew. My dead grandmother who never watched a football game in her life told me during one of her hauntings that the Bengals' o-line last year was horrible.
How do they do NOTHING? No, just not nothing, how do you let the 2 best players on the oline LEAVE?!
In a word: unforgivable.