Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: {The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} (/Thread-The-Ultimate-ANDY-DALTON-Mega-Thread)

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - The Caped Crusader - 09-27-2015

He seems a bit more confident in these two games, than he has before. I also think his throwing motion is a bit tighter. I have seen him make, consistently, zippy passes that he would rarely make seasons before (insert that Eifert ball he threw literally in his gut). Some of this might be from a better pocket, who knows? I just know he looks a lot more confident.

However, I don't think we have seen the chips down yet. Everything, for the most part (if you don't include Hill's fumbles) has went our way. The true test is what happens when things DON'T go our way. Baltimore, away, will be a huge challenge

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Stormborn - 09-27-2015

(09-26-2015, 03:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You can sum this up by saying that Dalton has had struggles in the division. Most of his "common opponents" would be AFCN teams. I know Dalton has played the Jags and Broncos 3 times each and he's been solid against them. He's played the Dolphins 2-3 times and he's been terrible.

Btw, this is obviously an old chart, as Dalton has played 66 games and this only accounts for 52 of them. Dalton has been much improved vs the Steelers and Ravens recently.

If my calculations are correct this is from 2012 to the Oakland game, including the 3 playoff games, he had a chart from 2013 to 2014 but I guess he updated it and put it in more depth. For the common/uncommon, common is the teams he's played agaisnt that he's played that same year or a year before, so yes, mostly division. Uncommon would be a team he hasn't played against for at least 2 years. (So we're going back to 2013 and before opponents)

Using this metric, he should have good games agaisnt:

Oakland (check)
San Diego (check)
Kansas City
Seattle
Bills
Cardinals
Rams
49ers

Because these are teams he hasn't played agaisnt the year before, you can expect Dalton to perform better than average, really well as a matter of fact.

For the division, Steelers, yes he's shown progress. Ravens, to an exent some improvement. Don't leave the Browns out because Dalton sure as Hell knows they're a common opponent.

It maybe even be a better method to use for the whole team because sometimes Dalton plays ok in a common loss (2014 Patriots) or plays terrible in an uncommon win (2014 Bucs), but his level of play more times than not correlates to the team's level, so it works very well.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Shake n Blake - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 03:38 AM)Stormborn Wrote: If my calculations are correct this is from 2012 to the Oakland game, including the 3 playoff games, he had a chart from 2013 to 2014 but I guess he updated it and put it in more depth. For the common/uncommon, common is the teams he's played agaisnt that he's played that same year or a year before, so yes, mostly division. Uncommon would be a team he hasn't played against for at least 2 years. (So we're going back to 2013 and before opponents)

Using this metric, he should have good games agaisnt:

Oakland (check)
San Diego (check)
Kansas City
Seattle
Bills
Cardinals
Rams
49ers

Because these are teams he hasn't played agaisnt the year before, you can expect Dalton to perform better than average, really well as a matter of fact.

For the division, Steelers, yes he's shown progress. Ravens, to an exent some improvement. Don't leave the Browns out because Dalton sure as Hell knows they're a common opponent.

It maybe even be a better method to use for the whole team because sometimes Dalton plays ok in a common loss (2014 Patriots) or plays terrible in an uncommon win (2014 Bucs), but his level of play more times than not correlates to the team's level, so it works very well.

First off, thanks for explaining. 

He posted a 94.7 rating against the Ravens last year and was arguably the biggest reason we swept them. Compare that to the 62.4 rating he had against them prior to last year, and I'd say he improved more than "to an extent". He's been good against the Steelers for 4 straight games.

I rarely worry about Dalton in non-division (just the Browns really) games, regardless of how many times he's played against an opponent. Unless of course, we're talking about the playoffs. Then everyone struggles. I don't think playoff games should be used to prove this "common games" theory, as that's another problem entirely.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Brownshoe - 09-27-2015

Is Dalton still not too 10?

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Joelist - 09-27-2015

So far this year:

Andy: 61-92 866 yards 8 TD 1 INT 121.0 Passer Rating

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - McC - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 06:41 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Is Dalton still not too 10?

Don't know.  Do know he is miles ahead of where he ended last year, making some great throws, very few bad ones, keeping great composure. playing with great physical and mental toughness and doing all the things he needs to do.    Don't know where that ranks him among his peers but he's number one in our hearts right now.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - BengalChris - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 06:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: So far this year:

Andy:  61-92  866 yards 8 TD 1 INT 121.0 Passer Rating

Andy has improved quite a bit this year. Numbers aside, it's his presence in the pocket which has improved the most from what I can see. It's not something you can really measure with a stat like yards or qbr.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-27-2015

(09-26-2015, 12:58 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Most objective observers had Dalton ranked between 17-24. I'd say that with his performance so far you could make the case he's moved up slightly, but it's only been 2 games.

Those that say top 10 are idiotic.

Are they as idiotic as Jaworski and some other folks who tout Kaepernick? Cause he SUCKS.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 07:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Andy has improved quite a bit this year. Numbers aside, it's his presence in the pocket which has improved the most from what I can see. It's not something you can really measure with a stat like yards or qbr.

I agree.....his pocket awareness is five times better. He is stepping up in the pocket, scrambling, tucking and running, and just avoiding pressure and ditching the ball. This has sure been nice to see. It was his achilles heel in my opinion.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Rhinocero23 - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 07:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Andy has improved quite a bit this year. Numbers aside, it's his presence in the pocket which has improved the most from what I can see. It's not something you can really measure with a stat like yards or qbr.

The young man looked good today...and thus far through the season. Keep it up #14. Great team win again today.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Shake n Blake - 09-27-2015

So I missed the game entirely but followed along on my phone. Was it as nerve wracking as it looked?

I saw that Dalton fumbled for a TD but then followed with an 80 yard TD to AJ. Then he answered with another TD to give us the lead late.

Can't wait to see the highlights.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - RoyleRedlegs - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 08:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So I missed the game entirely but followed along on my phone. Was it as nerve wracking as it looked?

I saw that Dalton fumbled for a TD but then followed with an 80 yard TD to AJ. Then he answered with another TD to give us the lead late.

It was only nerve-wracking because the refs were the most important part of the game for 3 quarters.

Just insane. Nerves every play on defense was a penalty. 

Given how we played when not hampered by refs, I wasn't nervous. 

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - Brownshoe - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 08:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So I missed the game entirely but followed along on my phone. Was it as nerve wracking as it looked?

You have to watch the 4th quarter, and you should see if you could watch the whole game. We beat them a lot worse than what the score looked. Dalton and Green made the Ravens look stupid. There were a lot of great plays by Dalton, and only 2 bad ones. It was the best game this season IMO.

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - WhoDeyWho - 09-27-2015

Dalton looks good with a healthy offense. Who knew?

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - rfaulk34 - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 06:41 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Is Dalton still not too 10?

He will be a top 10 QB when he finishes a year in the top 10.

There's no denying he's playing like a top 10 QB. The longer he keeps it up, the better.

(09-27-2015, 09:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He will be a top 10 QB when he finishes a year in the top 10.

There's no denying he's playing like a top 10 QB. The longer he keeps it up, the better.

He's playing at an elite level right now, but I agree. I have to see him finish top 10 to consider him top 10.

That said, I've seen Carson Palmer ranked in the top 10 in some recent rankings.

When was the last time CP finished top 10 in passer rating?

RE: { The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread } - rfaulk34 - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 09:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's playing at an elite level right now, but I agree. I have to see him finish top 10 to consider him top 10.

That said, I've seen Carson Palmer ranked in the top 10 in some recent rankings.

2006.  Shocked

(09-27-2015, 09:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's playing at an elite level right now, but I agree. I have to see him finish top 10 to consider him top 10.

I watched most of the SF/ARZ tilt. Palmer absolutely shredded them. I watched the 2nd half of our game, and have the first half on DVR. What I saw of Dalton was poise, threw some strikes, and did very well handling pressure .....can't wait to see the 1st half.

(09-27-2015, 09:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I watched most of the SF/ARZ tilt. Palmer absolutely shredded them.  I watched the 2nd half of our game, and have the first half on DVR.  What I saw of Dalton was poise, threw some strikes, and did very well handling pressure .....can't wait to see the 1st half.

Oh I agree. Palmer and Dalton are both playing at an elite level right now.

All I'm saying is that if one can't be ranked a top 10 QB right now, it's only fair that both not be ranked top 10.

(09-27-2015, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Oh I agree. Palmer and Dalton are both playing at an elite level right now.

All I'm saying is that if one can't be ranked a top 10 QB right now, it's only fair that both not be ranked top 10.

But Palmer is taller and he doesn't have red hair!!