Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: {The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} (/Thread-The-Ultimate-ANDY-DALTON-Mega-Thread)

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - WhoDeyWho - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 11:49 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I know that Luck has missed the last two weeks, which begs the question "was he hurt to start the season"?  I don't know the answer to that.

"New" applies to a skill set and mentality that he did not seem to have in the past.  It's not an insult.  If I go back to school and get my M.B.A. then a part of me is "new" and I will most likely display skills and confidence I did not have in the past.  Really, you're getting defensive when there is absolutely no reason to.

Perhaps.  I'm just saying I don't hear any other QB being described in those terms.  

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - OrlandoBengal - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 11:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: ....and that's part of the reason we're seeing such an improvement.  It's kinda crazy when you think about it....not too long ago, a fifth QB was indeed young, and had probably spent at least a year on the bench learning, if not more.  The league sure has changed.....and gotten impatient.  I'm guilty of it too.....

Agree, but it's the world we live in.  Players, especially higher round draft picks, are expected to come into the league and contribute immediately.  There was an interesting article by Gil Brandt last year that discussed this.  Ironically, he looked at quarterbacks who grow up in Texas.  He argued that with all the camps, the year round preparations, the coaching in college, that quarterbacks come into the league more NFL ready then he has ever seen.  He argued that is why they have a better idea what a guy's "ceiling" is then at any time in the past.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 11:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You mentioned Anderson and of all Bengals QB's he was always the guy AD reminded me of as well.

Smart
Audibles Well
Quick release
Good arm, but not a monster arm
I thing AD is a little more mobile

the funny thing is our fans also wanted run Kenny out of town early in his career using the same arguments used against AD.

Exactly.... ThumbsUp

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - BengalChris - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 11:28 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: The Colts have won twice since Luck has gone down.  It helps when almost half of your games every year comes against the Titans, Jaguars, and Texans.  

LOL, that is true about their division. Still, they beat us twice last year, so gotta give them some credit.

Not sure what that has to do with QBs progressing though.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - WhoDeyWho - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:10 PM)BengalChris Wrote: LOL, that is true about their division. Still, they beat us twice last year, so gotta give them some credit.

We weren't very good last year.  They didn't even see our best WR last year in either game.  I recall us beating them pretty soundly the year before.

And the competition a QB faces has a lot to do with how they perform and progress.

It probably has a lot to do with the relative success Dalton has had outside of the AFC North.  Luck has padded his stats against a not very good division.  No one seems to have noticed.   

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - GreenCornBengal - 10-13-2015

I was telling my girlfriend it was the year of the injured QB (Romo, Brees, Big Ben, Luck, now Bortles and Taylor) and bad QB play (Stafford getting benched and others).

She said in jest, "Andy Dalton hasn't gotten better, everyone else has just gotten worse!"

Bless her soul.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - CageTheBengal - 10-13-2015

Dalton is killing it so far. Not much else to say other then I hope it continues.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Devils Advocate - 10-13-2015

That 22(?) yard pass to AJ from outta the shadows of their own goal posts was maybe the prettiest pass of the year so far, possibly Andy's entire career. T'was a thing of beauty.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - West Union KennyG - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 11:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You mentioned Anderson and of all Bengals QB's he was always the guy AD reminded me of as well.

Smart
Audibles Well
Quick release
Good arm, but not a monster arm
I thing AD is a little more mobile

the funny thing is our fans also wanted run Kenny out of town early in his career using the same arguments used against AD.

I've made this same point multiple times myself (on these and the old boards).  
Needless to say, I think you're "Spot on!"

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - XenoMorph - 10-14-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:10 PM)BengalChris Wrote: LOL, that is true about their division. Still, they beat us twice last year, so gotta give them some credit.

when luck was playing they said it was cause he had a horrible OL

Hasslebeck seemed fine behind that line and hes 40

So is it a case of luck playing really bad.  Or the team stepping up for Hasslebeck

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - djs7685 - 10-14-2015

(10-14-2015, 11:46 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: when luck was playing they said it was cause he had a horrible OL

Hasslebeck seemed fine behind that line and hes 40

So is it a case of luck playing really bad.  Or the team stepping up for Hasslebeck

The line was awful and Luck wasn't playing very well at all.

I think it was just a combination of both rather than one or the other.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Utts - 10-14-2015

(10-08-2015, 01:07 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: Name ANY QB you would call "elite" - compare to AD in the cumulative work of this year so far and argue your point that he doesn't look elite.  

5 games does not make for an elite QB, not by a long shot. A guy needs to play at a very high level for an extended period of time before he can be called elite. A playoff win helps too. If Andy plays like Brady or Rodgers for a season or two, then maybe he will have taken the jump to elite status.

Is he playing like an elite QB now? Yes. Has he earned elite status yet? Nope.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 10-14-2015

(10-04-2015, 06:08 PM)West Union KennyG Wrote: I'd say about half of this entire thread is now a moot point.
Dalton is impressive looking lately.  4 games in a row w/ passer rating well over 100 and carried team on his back today.  Seriously looking "elite" to me, but what do I know, some of you'd rather have your pick of a dozen different guys over AD.

(10-07-2015, 06:30 PM)Utts Wrote: Elite ... um no.

(10-14-2015, 04:17 PM)Utts Wrote: 5 games does not make for an elite QB, not by a long shot. A guy needs to play at a very high level for an extended period of time before he can be called elite. A playoff win helps too. If Andy plays like Brady or Rodgers for a season or two, then maybe he will have taken the jump to elite status.

Is he playing like an elite QB now? Yes. Has he earned elite status yet? Nope.

WUKG said Dalton is LOOKING elite, not that he IS elite.

I don't think anyone is ready to call Dalton an elite QB yet, but he's certainly playing like one, and if he keeps it up, he'll earn that status.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Luvnit2 - 10-14-2015

(10-14-2015, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: WUKG said Dalton is LOOKING elite, not that he IS elite.

I don't think anyone is ready to call Dalton an elite QB yet, but he's certainly playing like one, and if he keeps it up, he'll earn that status.

^^^^^^^^^^This

I would add those who gave up on AD also said:

1. AD does not have the arm (ever) to be elite stating he can't make all the throws = proven false
2. AD does not have the leadership skills to be elite (ever( = proven false
3. AD does not show enough fire = proven false

My point is AD is showing he is an elite talent. He has proved it not only this year, but for a big stretch in 2013. Many of stated if AD fixes his decision making and quits forcing things thus reducing interceptions, he could be great.

2014 was a wasted year for us or anyone to evaluate AD due to major injuries. No QB overcomes the injuries the team went through to our specific skill group.

In 2015, we see a QB confident in his weapons and routinely is getting 3 to 5 guys each week involved heavily in the passing game. He is like a great scoring point guard who can both shoot and distribute. He has been impressive in 2015 on the field, the great thing is he had already been impressive off the field as Jordon and him are in the community more than Palmer ever did. I don't recall Palmer's wife ever going out and doing anything in Cincinnati.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - WrongVerb - 10-14-2015

It appears that AD has been able to harness "Good Andy" due to whatever changes (mental, physical, whatever) he's made to his game. Even when the team was losing bad to Seattle, it wasn't because of "Bad Andy."

Also, the Seattle game was the first game where it really seemed like AD put the team on his shoulders and led them to that victory. I've never seen that out of him before and it was very impressive.

Like others have said, I hope it continues.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Big Boss - 10-14-2015

He has looked elite thus far. I don't know what else you'd call it considering he's been performing up there with Rodgers and Brady.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - West Union KennyG - 10-15-2015

(10-14-2015, 09:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: He has looked elite thus far.  I don't know what else you'd call it considering he's been performing up there with Rodgers and Brady.

Wait... You can't call him elite!  
Even if he is elite, we can't acknowledge that until after the fact!  Shut up and continue to be miserable for a few more years - even if we win the Super Bowl, after all, that will only be one - we got to keep the merchandise rolling for awhile to catch up, don't you know!  Win 3 of the next 5 Superbowls... Well, we still have some work to do to be considered with some of the really great ones.  I think you can see how this goes now.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Utts - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 01:40 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: Wait... You can't call him elite!  

Agreed. You absolutely cannot until he's earned it, and he most certainly has not. 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Utts - 10-15-2015

(10-14-2015, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: WUKG said Dalton is LOOKING elite, not that he IS elite.

Yeah whatevs... See his latest post where he's being all sarcastic about calling Andy elite NOW. Absurd.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - West Union KennyG - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 03:42 AM)Utts Wrote: Agreed. You absolutely cannot until he's earned it, and he most certainly has not. 

You do realize this was sarcasm based entirely on the way you replied to my post earlier right?  Big Boss used my very words, 'He has looked elite thus far.' And I sarcastically used you're misunderstood reaction to that by saying 'You can't call him elite,' even though that's not what he said.  But you missed it again which, in my mind, is that much more funny!

(10-15-2015, 03:43 AM)Utts Wrote: Yeah whatevs... See his latest post where he's being all sarcastic about calling Andy elite NOW. Absurd.

ROFL!  You got the sarcasm... Sort of.  But not really.
But just for you, Utts, because this has been fun for me anyway... Right now, Andy Dalton has been playing elite.  Right now, that's the way he's been playing.