Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: {The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} (/Thread-The-Ultimate-ANDY-DALTON-Mega-Thread)

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Anderson HOF - 11-10-2015

(11-09-2015, 08:42 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: By playing better than they actually are? 

Do you really think that 2012 RG3 is a great QB? 2012 playoff Flacco? 2013 Nick Foles or Colin Kaepernick?  How about the current Josh McCown?
The problem with this thinking is one year compared to a career... Except for Flacco and after this year Andy might be ahead of Flacco.. Dalton and his performances .. stats, wins, comebacks etc.. are better than those other QBs and has established himself as a above average QB.   The reality to me is Dalton has been a above average QB... but not a really good QB... now in his 5th year he might just be moving towards a really good QB as I look at his overall career.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - djs7685 - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 01:03 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I am the WEBMASTER of one of the top Bengals Message Boards on the planet.  What other "rep" do I need?  Ninja

Hey now, don't you mean THE top Bengals message board on the planet?

There are a few people here that make me want to post elsewhere, but honestly, this board is just far and above any of the other forms of talking Bengals football on the internet, it's hard to use the other boards by choice. Reddit's Bengals sub is awful, that go-bengals place has a loooot more idiots than this board, and Facebook/Twitter is miserable to attempt to have an actual conversation about the sport in general on.

Better watch your mouth calling it "one" of the top boards. I don't want to hear that from you again!

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - WhoDeyWho - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 01:10 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Hey now, don't you mean THE top Bengals message board on the planet?

There are a few people here that make me want to post elsewhere, but honestly, this board is just far and above any of the other forms of talking Bengals football on the internet, it's hard to use the other boards by choice. Reddit's Bengals sub is awful, that go-bengals place has a loooot more idiots than this board, and Facebook/Twitter is miserable to attempt to have an actual conversation about the sport in general on.

Better watch your mouth calling it "one" of the top boards. I don't want to hear that from you again!

Touche 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 01:10 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Hey now, don't you mean THE top Bengals message board on the planet?

(11-10-2015, 01:14 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Touche 

Get a room..... Smirk

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - XenoMorph - 11-10-2015

i feel like this thread has gotten off track...

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i feel like this thread has gotten off track...

Imagine that. Seems like a theme lately. 

(11-10-2015, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i feel like this thread has gotten off track...

This post is definitely getting things back on track.

Honestly though, sports related message board threads thrive on arguments, and there just isn't a lot to argue about right now when it comes to Andy. I like the idea of this thread staying around, but I wouldn't question the powers that be if they took it down in the near future.

Let's be honest, if Andy has a really bad game, there will be about 10 threads about it whether this exists or not, and if he doesn't have a really bad game, there likely won't be much arguing so not much traffic will go through this thread.

People already make new topics about Andy on a daily basis for the most part, but not enough where it's flooding the board like the mothership (and I don't think that would change if this didn't exist). I could definitely see this thread being deemed unnecessary in the board's current state. BUT, there is a surprisingly large percentage of on topic posts in this (a reason it should probably stick around), so I don't know why 2 or 3 posts unrelated to Andy sparked you to play thread police.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Imagine that. Seems like a theme lately. 

Wut.... Confused

(11-10-2015, 04:40 PM)djs7685 Wrote: This post is definitely getting things back on track.

Honestly though, sports related message board threads thrive on arguments, and there just isn't a lot to argue about right now when it comes to Andy. I like the idea of this thread staying around, but I wouldn't question the powers that be if they took it down in the near future.

Let's be honest, if Andy has a really bad game, there will be about 10 threads about it whether this exists or not, and if he doesn't have a really bad game, there likely won't be much arguing so not much traffic will go through this thread.

People already make new topics about Andy on a daily basis for the most part, but not enough where it's flooding the board like the mothership (and I don't think that would change if this didn't exist). I could definitely see this thread being deemed unnecessary in the board's current state. BUT, there is a surprisingly large percentage of on topic posts in this (a reason it should probably stick around), so I don't know why 2 or 3 posts unrelated to Andy sparked you to play thread police.

In all actuality, there shouldn't be anymore arguing unless he has a complete meltdown.  I just don't see that happening.  Anything beyond that, after the start he and the team have ran out to, is just trolling......or stupidity.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - West Union KennyG - 11-10-2015

My understanding is this whole thread exists based on an assumption that Dalton was off-track, and since right now he's playing 'lights out,' it's understandable to go off track a little.  The next time our Bengals team lose a game, or Dalton has a bad game, this thread will find its calling once again as the outlet people have to voice some crazy stuff - I hope we ride this undefeated thing for quite awhile - because this thread is the go-to thread the moment the team loses a game.  

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 04:40 PM)djs7685 Wrote: This post is definitely getting things back on track.

I think that's why this thread will stick around for awhile. There will always be new Andy threads, but now we don't need a new Andy thread every single time someone feels the urge to talk about Andy. This is a good spot for general Andy discussions. 

Congrats on your comeback win in fantasy BTW. I thought I had the win locked up.

(11-10-2015, 05:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think that's why this thread will stick around for awhile. There will always be new Andy threads, but now we don't need a new Andy thread every single time someone feels the urge to talk about Andy. This is a good spot for general Andy discussions. 

Congrats on your comeback win in fantasy BTW. I thought I had the win locked up.

Yeah I think it's a good idea to keep it, but I don't think I'd be surprised if you guys take it down at some point, assuming Andy continues to be a great QB and there becomes less and less to argue about regarding him.

Thanks, I still think you easily have the #1 team in the league, you're the guy to beat. I just luckily started Langford and Bennett this week and they both racked up the stats on MNF while Antonio Gates didn't do as much for you. Really good game this week though, was fun to watch outside of Dion Lewis getting IR'd.

(11-10-2015, 05:18 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah I think it's a good idea to keep it, but I don't think I'd be surprised if you guys take it down at some point, assuming Andy continues to be a great QB and there becomes less and less to argue about regarding him.

Thanks, I still think you easily have the #1 team in the league, you're the guy to beat. I just luckily started Langford and Bennett this week and they both racked up the stats on MNF while Antonio Gates didn't do as much for you. Really good game this week though, was fun to watch outside of Dion Lewis getting IR'd.

Good point, but I think Andy will remain a hot topic for the near future. Even if it's only to discuss how awesome he is now. 

I feel your pain on Dion Lewis. I just lost Leveon Bell in our league.  Bang Head

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - PhilHos - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 05:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, but I think Andy will remain a hot topic for the near future. Even if it's only to discuss how awesome he is now. 

There are going to be A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of "I told you so" posts coming this offseason Wink , but after that, yeah, I think the Andy threads will die down for the most part.

(11-10-2015, 05:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, but I think Andy will remain a hot topic for the near future. Even if it's only to discuss how awesome he is now. 

I feel your pain on Dion Lewis. I just lost Leveon Bell in our league.  Bang Head

Yeah but at least DeAngelo is still likely going to be a fantasy monster in their system. You were smart to grab him too.

I don't know if I want to risk my high spot on waivers to take Bolden or White because with Belichick who knows who is actually going to get the touches Lewis had.

My best bet right now is that Charcandrick West is for real. Langford seems solid but Forte will be back and will be the obvious starter again soon. I guess we'll see.

On the Andy front, as much fun as it is to argue about the guy, it would be nice if he played at the level that pretty much forces the thread to turn into a circle jerk. I mean, he obviously is right now, but some more sustained success will make it almost impossible for anyone to complain about him.

Even when Aaron Rodgers throws for 97 yards in a loss, you don't really question his ability. If Andy hits that point, I'll gladly eat some crow on that. I've never been one to say that it's impossible for Andy to improve and be a very good QB, but I honestly didn't think he had an elite skill set. I've said it before, he seems like a great human being, so he's the kind of guy you root for to become great on the field too.

(11-10-2015, 05:53 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah but at least DeAngelo is still likely going to be a fantasy monster in their system. You were smart to grab him too.

I don't know if I want to risk my high spot on waivers to take Bolden or White because with Belichick who knows who is actually going to get the touches Lewis had.

My best bet right now is that Charcandrick West is for real.
Langford seems solid but Forte will be back and will be the obvious starter again soon. I guess we'll see.

On the Andy front, as much fun as it is to argue about the guy, it would be nice if he played at the level that pretty much forces the thread to turn into a circle jerk. I mean, he obviously is right now, but some more sustained success will make it almost impossible for anyone to complain about him.

Even when Aaron Rodgers throws for 97 yards in a loss, you don't really question his ability. If Andy hits that point, I'll gladly eat some crow on that. I've never been one to say that it's impossible for Andy to improve and be a very good QB, but I honestly didn't think he had an elite skill set. I've said it before, he seems like a great human being, so he's the kind of guy you root for to become great on the field too.

That's how I'd roll. I don't think Bolden or White are going to really step in and take on that Dion Lewis role. I think they'll alter the offense in other ways to make up for the loss of Lewis. If I had to choose between Bolden and White though, I'd go with White. Bolden has been on the 53 thanks to his ST ability, but White was a pretty high draft pick with some upside.

As for Dalton, I've never worried about his skill set. When most people talk about "skill set", what they really mean is "arm strength". What else could they be talking about? Dalton is fairly athletic. He's probably (slightly) above average in that category. He's very intelligent, which has been proven in multiple ways, including how quickly he picked up an NFL offense after the lockout and coaches raving about his pre-snap reads.

So the only skill that's been heavily questioned is his arm. Montana, Brees, Peyton, Brady and many more have been elite without an elite arm. That's why I've never really worried about Dalton's arm. For me it was a question of consistency (as far as his mechanics), whether or not he could stop panicking in the pocket, and whether or not he could avoid the disaster type games we've seen occasionally in the past.

Those were the things that were keeping Dalton from being a top 10 QB before, IMO. 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - West Union KennyG - 11-11-2015

(11-10-2015, 05:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: There are going to be A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of "I told you so" posts coming this offseason Wink , but after that, yeah, I think the Andy threads will die down for the most part.

I told you so!  
There, got that off my chest, and I'm done now.  Let's just be excited together - 8-0 Who-Deys!

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - djs7685 - 11-11-2015

(11-10-2015, 06:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So the only skill that's been heavily questioned is his arm. Montana, Brees, Peyton, Brady and many more have been elite without an elite arm. That's why I've never really worried about Dalton's arm. For me it was a question of consistency (as far as his mechanics), whether or not he could stop panicking in the pocket, and whether or not he could avoid the disaster type games we've seen occasionally in the past.

Those were the things that were keeping Dalton from being a top 10 QB before, IMO. 

I wasn't worried that he didn't have a total cannon arm, but the "zip" on some routes didn't seem to be there before and also the touch pass that we've seen more of in 2015 and deep accuracy have just been fantastic compared to what they were before. You don't HAVE to have all of those things to be an elite QB, but they certainly help, and if Andy keeps it up they'll help him get into that category.

I consider his past issues in the pocket to be part of his skill set, and that was one of, if not THE biggest thing keeping me from believing that he would have a good shot at being a top QB in the league.

Like you said, he's definitely a smart guy, so I didn't question him much there, but I'm glad to see that he fixed some of the glaring issues that I always had an issue with throughout his professional career. I can't say that I've been one of his huge supporters and fanboys, but I can definitely say that I'm happy that he's doing what he is right now. I've always hoped he would improve and I've always been rooting for him (no matter who the Bengals QB is, I'll root for the guy), I just didn't think he was going to turn it on like this. He's playing some excellent football.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - XenoMorph - 11-11-2015

(11-10-2015, 05:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, but I think Andy will remain a hot topic for the near future. Even if it's only to discuss how awesome he is now. 

we might have to start talking about his next contract $$$$ sooner than later lol

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - rfaulk34 - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 10:08 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I wasn't worried that he didn't have a total cannon arm, but the "zip" on some routes didn't seem to be there before and also the touch pass that we've seen more of in 2015 and deep accuracy have just been fantastic compared to what they were before. You don't HAVE to have all of those things to be an elite QB, but they certainly help, and if Andy keeps it up they'll help him get into that category.

I consider his past issues in the pocket to be part of his skill set, and that was one of, if not THE biggest thing keeping me from believing that he would have a good shot at being a top QB in the league.

Like you said, he's definitely a smart guy, so I didn't question him much there, but I'm glad to see that he fixed some of the glaring issues that I always had an issue with throughout his professional career. I can't say that I've been one of his huge supporters and fanboys, but I can definitely say that I'm happy that he's doing what he is right now. I've always hoped he would improve and I've always been rooting for him (no matter who the Bengals QB is, I'll root for the guy), I just didn't think he was going to turn it on like this. He's playing some excellent football.

Not totally relevant to the discussion, but i've never seen Dalton throw the ball 60 yards in the air until this year.

Just something i noticed.