Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: {The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} (/Thread-The-Ultimate-ANDY-DALTON-Mega-Thread)

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - muskiesfan - 12-25-2015

I didn't say the Bengals didn't have talent. I said Bengals fans overvalue that talent with the exception of Andy Dalton. I'm sorry, there's just no argument that can be made for all of the offensive players being better than Dalton. There's just not. After AJ Green, Andy Dalton is the best offensive weapon this team has and it's not even close.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 12-25-2015

(12-24-2015, 08:21 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: No, they're not just speaking of our depth. This team will continue to win with AJ, Dalton or just about any NFL QB, we're just that loaded.

.....and you neglected to address the rest of my post.  The talent is also wide spread....that's why they say "top to bottom".
Andy is part of said talent. There are several QBs in this league who would not do as well as he does because they don't have the cerebral part of Andy's game , or scrambling ability....and no one besides Brady gets the ball out as quickly.  

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 12-25-2015

(12-24-2015, 05:20 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: No disrespect to Andy, but have you completely lost your mind?? 
You allow QB stats to influence you tremendously, I get that. But everyone by now should realize Cam's a BEAST! The man is doing things that have NEVER been done before. He's a trailblazer for eyes only! This Sunday, put down the stats and turn on the TV. Stats, especially QB stats, DO NOT REVEAL ALL!

Not to say Andy's not having good year, we may yet win with him in the post season. But let's be honest, Cam 
makes players around him better, Andy requires better players to make himself better. That explains why Andy is only good when nearly everyone around him is much better than he is. Unfortunately, you won't learn this from reading stats alone.
Lastly, coaches coach and players play.

I am going to have to disagree with you on a couple points.. First Newton is having a MVP year.. Andy is having a great year... but to act like Cam has been so superior since they came in the league together is just not factually true.  I have witnessed great games and terrible games by both players , I have seen Cam make terrible throws and terrible decisions just has I have seen Andy do the same.. I have seen Cam lead his team to late victories with some great plays and I have seen the same from Andy.  You give to much credit to Cam for his abilities for a team success but too little credit to Andy for his abilities for a team success.

Finally one area that Cam has gotten a free pass on is playoff performance.. If he is so superior especially on the big stage why is he 1-2 in the playoffs ???  

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 12-25-2015

(12-24-2015, 08:21 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: No, they're not just speaking of our depth. This team will continue to win with AJ, Dalton or just about any NFL QB, we're just that loaded.

Put Andy  on Carolina, take Newton  away and Carolina would continue to win in the NFL

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 12-25-2015

We just disagree. There's been many games that the Bengals wouldn't have won without Andy. The Baltimore and Seattle games instantly spring to mind. Dalton made some big time throws to win those games.

(12-25-2015, 09:47 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I didn't say the Bengals didn't have talent. I said Bengals fans overvalue that talent with the exception of Andy Dalton. I'm sorry, there's just no argument that can be made for all of the offensive players being better than Dalton. There's just not. After AJ Green, Andy Dalton is the best offensive weapon this team has and it's not even close.

No doubt about it. I can't believe how undervalued Dalton is by some. His weapons are finally healthy and he plays like a top 3 QB. So now it's "his weapons make him better than he is". Brady's play has taken a major hit anytime he's been without Gronk or Edelman, etc. Do his weapons "make him"? Lets face it, people will say anything to avoid giving Dalton proper credit.
(12-25-2015, 02:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I am going to have to disagree with you on a couple points.. First Newton is having a MVP year.. Andy is having a great year... but to act like Cam has been so superior since they came in the league together is just not factually true.  I have witnessed great games and terrible games by both players , I have seen Cam make terrible throws and terrible decisions just has I have seen Andy do the same.. I have seen Cam lead his team to late victories with some great plays and I have seen the same from Andy.  You give to much credit to Cam for his abilities for a team success but too little credit to Andy for his abilities for a team success.

Finally one area that Cam has gotten a free pass on is playoff performance.. If he is so superior especially on the big stage why is he 1-2 in the playoffs ???  

Great post. Look at the stats or watch all their games. They've had similar careers and it's undeniable really.

(12-25-2015, 02:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Put Andy  on Carolina, take Newton  away and Carolina would continue to win in the NFL

No doubt. Rivera is a great coach, they have a great defense, and Dalton is a winner.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 12-25-2015

(12-25-2015, 09:47 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I didn't say the Bengals didn't have talent. I said Bengals fans overvalue that talent with the exception of Andy Dalton. I'm sorry, there's just no argument that can be made for all of the offensive players being better than Dalton. There's just not. After AJ Green, Andy Dalton is the best offensive weapon this team has and it's not even close.

And I simply disagree with you! Due to mental lapses in his game, Andy is not, and should not be rank that high on the pecking order this team. Does he have talent? Yes! I've never said he lacks talent. 

Ask yourself this question, why does so many sports personalities, including Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith, question Andy as the QB to lead this team into the post season? It's' the intangibles that Andy lacks. Untill he performs decently in the playoff, nothing he does in the regular season will mean much.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 12-25-2015

(12-25-2015, 02:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Put Andy  on Carolina, take Newton  away and Carolina would continue to win in the NFL

I don't think the Panthers would welcome that idea. Look, here's what's important, Andy is in situation where a pocket passer can flourish and he's taken full advantage of it. As a fan I'm thankful our team drafted the necessary talent to accomplish such an ideal situation. But to put Andy behind the Carolina OL, two things would happen almost immediately.
1. Their running attack would shrivel up. 2. Consequently, their passing attack would fall off. Remember, when Carolina WRs drop pass after pass, as they often do, Cam put's the team on his shoulders and keeps the chains moving. That's where Andy would fall short.  

(12-25-2015, 05:39 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: I don't think the Panthers would welcome that idea. Look, here's what's important, Andy is in situation where a pocket passer can flourish and he's taken full advantage of it. As a fan I'm thankful our team drafted the necessary talent to accomplish such an ideal situation. But to put Andy behind the Carolina OL, two things would happen almost immediately.
1. Their running attack would shrivel up. 2. Consequently, their passing attack would fall off. Remember, when Carolina WRs drop pass after pass, as they often do, Cam put's the team on his shoulders and keeps the chains moving. That's where Andy would fall short.  

I disagree,, Carolina has a good running game,, Andy would not hurt it with his quick passing would help it.. As for drops.. overall in their career Andy has a better release and more accurate with throws... Carolina would continue to be a competitive team.. by the way last year they were like 500 with Cam... 

Bottom line Andy Dalton and his skill set will make a decent NFL a good NFL team... Cam has moved ahead of Dalton this year.. but Dalton has also raised the bar and would be highly sought after

(12-25-2015, 05:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I disagree,, Carolina has a good running game,, Andy would not hurt it with his quick passing would help it.. As for drops.. overall in their career Andy has a better release and more accurate with throws... Carolina would continue to be a competitive team.. by the way last year they were like 500 with Cam... 

Bottom line Andy Dalton and his skill set will make a decent NFL a good NFL team... Cam has moved ahead of Dalton this year.. but Dalton has also raised the bar and would be highly sought after
I don't dispute the idea that other teams would be interested in Andy. I dispute comparing Andy to Cam, it's comical. Also, do you realize that by crediting Carolina with a good running game in of itself is a direct compliment to Cam? He's #2 in rushing yards (580yds) on the team, with 7 rushing TDs (tied for 6th in the nfl). 
By the way this year their OC went to Auburn and learned more specifically what they were doing to play to Cam's strength....this year they are like 1000 under Cam...perfect!

So you are saying that going into this year, Cam Newton had totally outplayed Dalton ???  Saying that is comical, you do know coming into this year, Cam had a career record of 30-31-1  with one of the best Defenses in the league during his tenure compared to Daltons 41-23-1 record.  Both came into the league with teams had already were bad teams, neither had any team advantage.   Just this past  summer there were those saying this was a make or break year for Cam just as they were saying that about Dalton.

Besides have a top Defense with probably the best LB in the NFL during his tenure Carolina they also have  had  Williams and /or Stewart in the backfield since Cam was a starter..  You do understand that he had Steve Smith a Hall of Fame WR his first three years, have had Olsen a top 5 TE since the beginning of his tenure  and the breakout sensation in Benjamin last year.  The shelves of talent have  not been empty for Cam.

Actually the more I look at Carolina and Cincinnati since Newton and Dalton came into the league there is not a great amount of difference between the talent of the teams.  There defense has been better than ours and their running backs and TE over the 5 years also.  I give us an edge at WR and offensive line.

This year though Cam has really put it all together.. he has always had the physical skills but accuracy and decision making has held him back from being the premier player that he is right now.  We can also say Andy has done the same just on a step below Cam this year but to think Cam had towered over Andy in overall QB performance coming into their 5th year well would be factually wrong.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 12-26-2015

(12-25-2015, 10:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:
(12-25-2015, 10:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying that going into this year, Cam Newton had totally outplayed Dalton ???  Saying that is comical, you do know coming into this year, Cam had a career record of 30-31-1  with one of the best Defenses in the league during his tenure compared to Daltons 41-23-1 record.  Both came into the league with teams had already were bad teams, neither had any team advantage.   Just this past  summer there were those saying this was a make or break year for Cam just as they were saying that about Dalton. 

Besides have a top Defense with probably the best LB in the NFL during his tenure Carolina they also have  had  Williams and /or Stewart in the backfield since Cam was a starter..  You do understand that he had Steve Smith a Hall of Fame WR his first three years, have had Olsen a top 5 TE since the beginning of his tenure  and the breakout sensation in Benjamin last year.  The shelves of talent have  not been empty for Cam.

Actually the more I look at Carolina and Cincinnati since Newton and Dalton came into the league there is not a great amount of difference between the talent of the teams.  There defense has been better than ours and their running backs and TE over the 5 years also.  I give us an edge at WR and offensive line.

This year though Cam has really put it all together.. he has always had the physical skills but accuracy and decision making has held him back from being the premier player that he is right now.  We can also say Andy has done the same just on a step below Cam this year but to think Cam had towered over Andy in overall QB performance coming into their 5th year well would be factually wrong.
No, I'm not saying coming into this year Cam totally out played Andy. But he's better than Andy. I'll admit I'm impressed with Andy, I never thought the kid could play at his current level. 
[b]But you may be placing too much on QB stats and not enough of watching them actually play.
I'm not going to debate anyone on "who has the better offensive weapons between the two QBs?" It's plain to see. 
Fortuantly for Cam, he's proven he can rush for over a 100 yds and pass for over 300 without Stewart in at RB. 
Whats most important to me is "when in the game did QB perform brilliantly and when did he perform subpar?"
 The key words being "when"!
I'm saying in football, to know is to see, not to read!

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 12-26-2015

Well I know what I can see also and what I saw over the first 4 years was the FIRST PICK OF THE DRAFT of a QB not living up to his advertisement.. losing record and 2 out of 4 times missing the playoffs.. that is not only what I saw and what other people saw too that were questioning the huge investment.. it was not till this year that Cam has finally played up to his billing and ability. Now what is interesting is could Cam fall into the Andy boat if he goes one and done in playoffs which would make him 1-3 in playoffs.. We shall SEE  Hilarious  WHO DEY

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 12-26-2015

(12-26-2015, 05:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well I know what I can see also and what I saw over the first 4 years was the FIRST PICK OF THE DRAFT of a QB not living up to his advertisement.. losing record and 2 out of 4 times missing the playoffs.. that is not only what I saw and what other people saw too that were questioning the huge investment.. it was not till this year that Cam has finally played up to his billing and ability. Now what is interesting is could Cam fall into the Andy boat if he goes one and done in playoffs which would make him 1-3 in playoffs.. We shall SEE  Hilarious  WHO DEY

Lol....After Cam's first NFL season, "none haters, in the know" have not questioned Cam. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Andy. There are still those among us that question his mental toughness. We won't to see him do more, starting with winning a playoff game.

(12-25-2015, 11:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....and you neglected to address the rest of my post.  The talent is also wide spread....that's why they say "top to bottom".
Andy is part of said talent. There are several QBs in this league who would not do as well as he does because they don't have the cerebral part of Andy's game , or scrambling ability....and no one besides Brady gets the ball out as quickly.  

I agree with you 100% the talent on this team is wide spread and of course, Andy is part of it. As to the second part of your reply, once again I agree with you. There are some NFL QBs who would not do as well as Andy has on this team. But if you read my post, I never claimed every NFL QB could.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 12-26-2015

(12-26-2015, 05:27 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: Lol....After Can's first NFL season, "none haters, in the know" have not questioned Cam. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Andy. There are still those among us that question his mental toughness .we won't to see him do more.

Well here are a few  articles over the summer that again affirms what I have been saying with you.. As the 1st QB in the draft, Cam Newton to some has not performed up to expectations especially the losing record coming into this year at the helm of the Panthers... My argument with you has been nothing to do with this season but the past 4 years.  Obviously your strong bias towards Cam that is it hard to get you even come close to my opinion so i figured i would at least end this back and forth with what others that seem to have been saying the same thing as I have been coming into this season.  I will end with I believe that both Cam and Andy have proved their detractors  ( me being one of Cams) wrong with how they played this season .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2513021-is-2015-a-make-or-break-year-for-cam-newton  

Here is another from last summer where he is ranked just ahead of Stafford (middle of pack) of 1st pick of draft QBs...

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000501596

Here is a third article from past summer

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/04/17/carolina-panthers-cam-newton-worthy-first-overall-pick/ 

(12-26-2015, 06:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well here are a few  articles over the summer that again affirms what I have been saying with you.. As the 1st QB in the draft, Cam Newton to some has not performed up to expectations especially the losing record coming into this year at the helm of the Panthers... My argument with you has been nothing to do with this season but the past 4 years.  Obviously your strong bias towards Cam that is it hard to get you even come close to my opinion so i figured i would at least end this back and forth with what others that seem to have been saying the same thing as I have been coming into this season.  I will end with I believe that both Cam and Andy have proved their detractors  ( me being one of Cams) wrong with how they played this season .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2513021-is-2015-a-make-or-break-year-for-cam-newton  

Here is another from last summer where he is ranked just ahead of Stafford (middle of pack) of 1st pick of draft QBs...

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000501596

Here is a third article from past summer

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/04/17/carolina-panthers-cam-newton-worthy-first-overall-pick/ 
Hilarious Sports writer Jim Reineking is your source of proof of a "none-hater in the know"? Jim knows nothing about evaluating QBs, his job is to attract the attention of those seeking popular- like- minded opinions. The mans a rebel rouser. He's probably writing a script right now about how great Cam is.

(12-26-2015, 06:27 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: Hilarious Sports writer Jim Reineking is your source of proof of a "none-hater in the know"? Jim knows nothing about evaluating QBs, his job is to attract the attention of those seeking popular- like- minded opinions. The mans a rebel rouser. He's probably writing a script right now about how great Cam is.

but you are an expert ?? who by chance do you write for ??  and the other articles, are you going to hammer them as non-writers.. when are you ever going to take off your blinders ??  Since i have continued to shine light on this topic and you keep your blinders on im just going to say adios and on to the next topic.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 12-27-2015

(12-26-2015, 09:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but you are an expert ?? who by chance do you write for ??  and the other articles, are you going to hammer them as non-writers.. when are you ever going to take off your blinders ??  Since i have continued to shine light on this topic and you keep your blinders on im just going to say adios and on to the next topic.
You seem to have a bad attitude anyway so good riddance!!

Not that it means much, but half the people on this board are better sports evaluators than Jim Reineking that's for darn sure. To dispute what we see in Andy and Cam, you shined a light on QB stats. Good job Essex! You keep the stats and I'll keep live footage of games.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - TexasorBusted - 12-27-2015

The major question is, "Are both Cam Newton and Andy Dalton franchise quarterbacks?" I think both have proven to be franchise QBs. Cam Newton was the #1 pick while Andy Dalton was an early second round pick (With the #4 pick in AJ Green) in 2011. Cam should be a franchise QB and the best of the 2011 class. Dalton was the fifth QB taken in the 2011 draft after Cam, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder. The fact that Dalton was a hit when it comes to being a franchise QB is awesome for the Bengals. If you measure by who had the better draft, it was the Bengals clearly with the Green/Dalton combo.

I think the debate between Cam vs Dalton is sort of pointless. Both are franchise QBs. Both are winners. Both make their teams better.

I think maybe Cam has the higher ceiling, but that's not a surprise. Cam has lots of skill. But Dalton has skill too. Both are having breakout years. I think that some years Cam will be better and others Dalton will be better. But both will still be playing at a franchise QB level, and that's what really matters. This helps greatly with future drafts. You don't have to keep adding names to that Brown's jersey.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 12-27-2015

(12-27-2015, 01:30 AM)TexasorBusted Wrote: The major question is, "Are both Cam Newton and Andy Dalton franchise quarterbacks?" I think both have proven to be franchise QBs. Cam Newton was the #1 pick while Andy Dalton was an early second round pick (With the #4 pick in AJ Green) in 2011. Cam should be a franchise QB and the best of the 2011 class. Dalton was the fifth QB taken in the 2011 draft after Cam, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder. The fact that Dalton was a hit when it comes to being a franchise QB is awesome for the Bengals. If you measure by who had the better draft, it was the Bengals clearly with the Green/Dalton combo.

I think the debate between Cam vs Dalton is sort of pointless. Both are franchise QBs. Both are winners. Both make their teams better.

I think maybe Cam has the higher ceiling, but that's not a surprise. Cam has lots of skill. But Dalton has skill too. Both are having breakout years. I think that some years Cam will be better and others Dalton will be better. But both will still be playing at a franchise QB level, and that's what really matters. This helps greatly with future drafts. You don't have to keep adding names to that Brown's jersey.

Now that is an intelligent post... unlike some others I have been reading.. you should write for Bleacher Report... Wink