Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: {The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread} (/Thread-The-Ultimate-ANDY-DALTON-Mega-Thread)

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 09:11 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Dalton ain't good enough to think about trading AJM. You sound foolish to even insinuate it. Guys like you would trade the whole team just so Dalton can??? This is What has me lost. This is the Bengals not the Daltons.

This isn't the McCarrons either.......

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 01-12-2016

(01-12-2016, 05:40 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: Without knowing the results of the 2016 season, that could be a bad move. Not only that, but it's bad precedent to rinse and wash good players.

Yep. Just look at the Patriots. They never trade their backups QBs or any other players for that matter.  Ninja

(01-12-2016, 09:17 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am relatively certain that he is under contract.

And?

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - fredtoast - 01-13-2016

(01-12-2016, 09:11 PM)Fresno B Wrote:  Guys like you would trade the whole team just so Dalton can??? This is What has me lost.

This has me lost also because it makes no sense.

So Dalton can what?

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Fresno B - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 02:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This has me lost also because it makes no sense.

So Dalton can what?

Idk. You tell me. What's the infatuation with Dalton to where we have to trade AJ and get new coaches or whatever excuse to try to coddle Dalton. I'll be the first to admit that he had a great season. But McCarron had a great 4th qtr playoff and that's a lasting impression as a Bengal fan at this point. 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - fredtoast - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 02:36 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Idk. You tell me. 

It was your post man.  How am I supposed to know what you mean?

Did the Patriots trade Mallett to coddle Brady?

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-13-2016

I don't get this "great 4th quarter". Hill was pissed off and ran like a mad man....AJ Green bailed him out on an under throw....and he did a couple other good things. But it wasn't great. Also....if Dalton had thrown that Ball to Bernard...it would have been his fault Gio got decked. Remember Indy?

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - TexasorBusted - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 06:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't get this "great 4th quarter". Hill was pissed off and ran like a mad man....AJ Green bailed him out on an under throw....and he did a couple other good things.  But it wasn't great.  Also....if Dalton had thrown that Ball to Bernard...it would have been his fault Gio got decked.  Remember Indy?

^^Exactly...For a 5th round draft pick on his 4th career start...McCarron did well, but let's not start making the bust for him in Canton...He was thrown into a tough situation, but he has plenty of pieces around him to mask his weaknesses due to inexperience...I was proud of McCarron's effort, but he wasn't good...He was meh...The team almost (should have) won even with McCarron vs the Steelers.

I like McCarron and think he could be a starting QB in this league, but he is not at Dalton's level yet...I think this might have been a career year for Dalton, so I expect a slight regression of play....but he is still a Top 10 QB....McCarron "might" be in the Ryan Tannehill tier....and that's not a place you want your QB to be if you are serious in trying to win a Super Bowl...

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 07:09 AM)TexasorBusted Wrote: ^^Exactly...For a 5th round draft pick on his 4th career start...McCarron did well, but let's not start making the bust for him in Canton...He was thrown into a tough situation, but he has plenty of pieces around him to mask his weaknesses due to inexperience...I was proud of McCarron's effort, but he wasn't good...He was meh...The team almost (should have) won even with McCarron vs the Steelers.

I like McCarron and think he could be a starting QB in this league, but he is not at Dalton's level yet...I think this might have been a career year for Dalton, so I expect a slight regression of play....but he is still a Top 10 QB....McCarron "might" be in the Ryan Tannehill tier....and that's not a place you want your QB to be if you are serious in trying to win a Super Bowl...

Agree on all points.  It was a valiant effort by AJ.....but it wasn't exactly Johnny Unitas.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 07:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agree on all points.  It was a valiant effort by AJ.....but it wasn't exactly Johnny Unitas.

And that is the big issue with this discussion/debate whatever you want to call in on the forum with Dalton and AJM.. 

Some are making AJM like he did something in his 4 starting games that warrants some to push him on a level close to Dalton which is just not true.  

PRETTY EASY WAY TO LAY THIS DISCUSSION OUT BELOW

5 STRAIGHT PLAYOFF APPEARANCES + 2 DIVISION TITLE + NEVER A LOSING SEASON + BEST QB SEASON  YET =  STARTER FOR A LONG TIME

4 GAMES EVER STARTED + 2-2 RECORD + POSITIVE MOMENTS = VIABLE BACKUP FOR A COUPLE YEARS

(01-13-2016, 12:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And that is the big issue with this discussion/debate whatever you want to call in on the forum with Dalton and AJM.. 

Some are making AJM like he did something in his 4 starting games that warrants some to push him on a level close to Dalton which is just not true.  

5 STRAIGHT PLAYOFF APPEARANCES + 2 DIVISION TITLE + NEVER A LOSING SEASON + BEST QB SEASON  YET =  STARTER FOR A LONG TIME

4 GAMES EVER STARTED + 2-2 RECORD + POSITIVE MOMENTS = VIABLE BACKUP FOR A COUPLE YEARS

Pretty much.....and I am truly grateful for the way AJM came in and gave us a shot to win each and every time.  He played as well as to be expected, and then a little bit more.  I was proud of the way he toughed it out and hung in there Saturday night, and helped us take a late lead that we should have kept.  I am pleased as punch with what he was able to do, we could have imploded down the stretch.....I just don't think he's the starter.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - BengalChris - 01-13-2016

(01-12-2016, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I want to keep AJM as our back up.

Every NFL team needs a good back up QB.  Andy was lucky to make it this long without being injured, and in past years I don't think we would have won a game with the back ups we had.

Completely agree. Guys like Josh Johnson and Jason Campbell were good enough to take a few snaps at the end of a game or kneel down, but start? Chances are we'd have been out of the playoffs ending the season with an 0-4 skid.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Essex Johnson - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 12:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty much.....and I am truly grateful for the way AJM came in and gave us a shot to win each and every time.  He played as well as to be expected, and then a little bit more.  I was proud of the way he toughed it out and hung in there Saturday night, and helped us take a late lead that we should have kept.  I am pleased as punch with what he was able to do, we could have imploded down the stretch.....I just don't think he's the starter.

I agree and I could see some concern with Dalton if he would have regressed in 2015 especially with the offense being relatively healthy.. 

I did not expect him to regress if we were able to keep most of our starters healthy this year.. many people wanted to point to his regression in 2014 (which i thought was more injury related than Dalton ability related) and now with his great season this year.. they don;t have much of a debate over Dalton's ability so they are just trying to take away from Dalton and create a perception that AJM is just as close to Dalton and his ability.

(01-13-2016, 12:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Completely agree. Guys like Josh Johnson and Jason Campbell were good enough to take a few snaps at the end of a game or kneel down, but start? Chances are we'd have been out of the playoffs ending the season with an 0-4 skid.

Absolutely.  We might have won a game with one of those guys and made the playoffs, but that would have probably been the best case scenario.  I 100% want to keep AJ here.

(01-13-2016, 12:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree and I could see some concern with Dalton if he would have regressed in 2015 especially with the offense being relatively healthy.. 

I did not expect him to regress if we were able to keep most of our starters healthy this year.. many people wanted to point to his regression in 2014 (which i thought was more injury related than Dalton ability related) and now with his great season this year.. they don;t have much of a debate over Dalton's ability so they are just trying to take away from Dalton and create a perception that AJM is just as close to Dalton and his ability.

Yup.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - BengalChris - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 12:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And that is the big issue with this discussion/debate whatever you want to call in on the forum with Dalton and AJM.. 

Agreed, except that no one is pushing for McCarron to start over Dalton, even though the Dalton homers seem to fear this for some reason. Not sure why though.

There are things about McCarron that I wish Dalton had and vice versa, but Dalton is clearly the more complete QB.

(01-13-2016, 12:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Agreed, except that no one is pushing for McCarron to start over Dalton, even though the Dalton homers seem to fear this for some reason. Not sure why though.

There are things about McCarron that I wish Dalton had and vice versa, but Dalton is clearly the more complete QB.

There are a couple my friend.....

(01-13-2016, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: There are a couple my friend.....

Well that's stupid of them.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 01-13-2016

(01-12-2016, 11:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. Just look at the Patriots. They never trade their backups QBs or any other players for that matter.  Ninja
Shocked Oh boy....you are overlooking the obvious. Without having a proven starting QB, the Patriots (in recent memory) have not traded away a good back-up QB. I think it goes without saying, with the likes of Tom-freaking-Brady as your starter, you can afford to trade AJM. 

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Vas Deferens - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: There are a couple my friend.....

I'm not one of them, BUT....

I keep having this lingering irrational thought where I blame Dalton for this playoff loss.  That his stupid interception and childlike attempt at tackling is what doomed us.

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Hammerthis - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 12:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree and I could see some concern with Dalton if he would have regressed in 2015 especially with the offense being relatively healthy.. 

Good points, however, none of them change the reality of the situation that Andy finds himself in. Regardless of what he does in the regular season, until he improves his individual performance in the post season, like it or not, he'll remain a QB not be trusted.
Keep AJM!

RE: {The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS ANDY DALTON' Mega Thread} - Shake n Blake - 01-13-2016

(01-13-2016, 02:16 PM)Hammerthis Wrote: Shocked Oh boy....you are overlooking the obvious. Without having a proven starting QB, the Patriots (in recent memory) have not traded away a good back-up QB. I think it goes without saying, with the likes of Tom-freaking-Brady as your starter, you can afford to trade AJM. 

The Patriots traded Matt Cassel after he led them to an 11-5 record in 2008. He was so well regarded at that point, that the Pats got a 2nd rounder for him. 

As for Tom Brady being good enough to not need a backup, that's silly. The Pats traded Cassel after Brady missed an entire season. Any starter can get injured.

Dalton may not be Brady (who is?), but he's still a top 8 QB.