Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Releasing Andy may be the only option - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Releasing Andy may be the only option (/Thread-Releasing-Andy-may-be-the-only-option)

Pages: 1 2 3

Releasing Andy may be the only option - Bengalholic - 03-24-2020

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - McC - 03-24-2020

Yep. It's what we've been saying. Welcome to your new reality, AD.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Bengalholic - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 01:33 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  It's what we've been saying.  Welcome to your new reality, AD.

I just can't see the Bengals paying Andy almost 18m to hold a clipboard and it doesn't seem anyone is interested in giving a draft pick for him at this point. I think it's in the Bengals best interest to just release him and use that money to keep improving the team. 

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - McC - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 01:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I just can't see the Bengals paying Andy almost 18m to hold a clipboard and it doesn't seem anyone is interested in giving a draft pick for him at this point. I think it's in the Bengals best interest to just release him and use that money to keep improving the team. 

People who seem to favor him to stay in the big brother to Joe role point to Andy's personality and character to say he won't be a distraction or problem in the locker room.

While that is true, or at least was last year, you can't expect him to be Job forever.

I agree with the sentiment that the only way he stays is with a redone contract.  It's my belief that he might accept that somewhere else on the off chance that maybe he gets a shot at starting but he won't want to be that guy here.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Okeana - 03-24-2020

im getting flush that turd shirts made later today

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - TecmoBengals - 03-24-2020

Time to release Dalton and move on. We can lament all we want about a missed draft pick, but that pick wasn't going to make or break this franchise. The #1 pick and Burrow will determine that. Yes, an extra pick would have been nice, but that is now behind the Bengals. Time to proceed with the rebuild.

(03-24-2020, 02:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Time to release Dalton and move on.  We can lament all we want about a missed draft pick, but that pick wasn't going to make or break this franchise.  The #1 pick and Burrow will determine that.  Yes, an extra pick would have been nice, but that is now behind the Bengals.  Time to proceed with the rebuild.

If there's still a player or 2 sitting out there that they are interested in, and freeing up Andy's money can make that happen, then releasing him becomes far more beneficial than holding out for a 3rd day draft pick. To me, that's the most important thing at this point, to keep improving this roster. 

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - TecmoBengals - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 02:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If there's still a player or 2 sitting out there that they are interested in, and freeing up Andy's money can make that happen, then releasing him becomes more beneficial than a 3rd day draft pick. To me, that's the most important thing at this point, to keep improving this roster. 

Great point, releasing Dalton changes how the budget is managed.  Maybe it could lead to signing another player or two. 

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - sandwedge - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 02:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If there's still a player or 2 sitting out there that they are interested in, and freeing up Andy's money can make that happen, then releasing him becomes far more beneficial than holding out for a 3rd day draft pick. To me, that's the most important thing at this point, to keep improving this roster. 

Kind of where I am at on this. There simply isn't anywhere to go. Seems Newton and Winston are in the same boat.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - CJD - 03-24-2020

Probably.

Alternatively, if Dalton can't find a market for him to start, he could come back to be a back up here on a reduced salary.

Not likely, but possible.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - JWW1971 - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 02:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If there's still a player or 2 sitting out there that they are interested in, and freeing up Andy's money can make that happen, then releasing him becomes far more beneficial than holding out for a 3rd day draft pick. To me, that's the most important thing at this point, to keep improving this roster. 

Totally agree with this.
I think the Dalton backers will be starting to see what most of us already knew, he isn't going to get a starting gig anywhere and we won't get any kind of trade.
We need to cut him now and not waste anymore time so we can bring in 1 or 2 other players who we need to fix the team.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 01:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Do it, it isn't the way I would of liked for us to handle it but it is best for all to just cut Andy now.

Then use the money to sign Peters and Onwausor or Ogletree.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - masonbengals fan - 03-24-2020

Bummer not getting any value for Andy. But I can't see paying him that to be the back-up.

(03-24-2020, 04:18 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Bummer not getting any value for Andy. But I can't see paying him that to be the back-up.

Release Andy.

Sign Vonn Bell, Peanut Onwuasor or Jason Peters.  Mellow

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Nately120 - 03-24-2020

Man, was it really only a year ago when we were going into the NFL draft and QB was FAR from the biggest need we had? The times, they are a becoming quite un-same.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 04:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Release Andy.

Even better. Cool

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-24-2020

The issue here is salary, not ability. Andy Dalton will be signed by another NFL team within 72 hours of his release.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - J24 - 03-24-2020

Why?
17 million for a backup QB is expensive but it's not like Burrow salary is going to be that bad that it makes Dalton contract that awful. Plus if injury comes up to Burrow then you have a guy you know can play right away for us.
Thirdly if another teams QB gets injured then Andy's value Skye rockets.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - Bengalfan4life27c - 03-24-2020

Maybe offer him a 2 year 20 million fully guaranteed deal. He gets more guaranteed money that way.

RE: Releasing Andy may be the only option - bengals1969 - 03-24-2020

(03-24-2020, 04:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Release Andy.

No team has signed those guys 7 days into FA. If Dalton cut, how long he last on the bench?  I bet a lot less than 7 days.

Tells me the Bengals ought not to be in haste cutting Dalton especially since there are no top tier FA's hanging around.