Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones (/Thread-Cameron-Wake-Reshad-Jones)

Pages: 1 2

Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - BURROWorBUST - 03-24-2020

Words for Ace Boogie is that the Bengals are in talks with both these guys.

WTF is going on with Lou Anarumo? How's he shaking all this money out of Mike Brown?

Reader
Waynes
Alexander
Bynes
EDIT: Sims
EDIT: Bell
Wake?

Maybe 6 new FA on our defense? This has NEVER happened, and I've been following this team since 68.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Bengalstripes9 - 03-25-2020

Wake is 38 years old? Jones 32. At the vet minimum it's smart to add some leaders and depth. Wake as an OLB, Jones as a safety. I'd prefer younger players, but I guess that's what the draft is for.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - McC - 03-25-2020

(03-24-2020, 11:21 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Words for Ace Boogie is that the Bengals are in talks with both these guys.

WTF is going on with Lou Anarumo? How's he shaking all this money out of Mike Brown?

Reader
Waynes
Alexander
Bynes
Wake?
Jones?

Maybe 6 new FA on our defense? This has NEVER happened, and I've been following this team since 68.

If these guys get signed, somebody will definitely have to get cut.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 12:11 AM)McC Wrote: If these guys get signed, somebody will definitely have to get cut.

Cutting players off a 2-14 team? No way.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - McC - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 02:27 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Cutting players off a 2-14 team? No way.

Several have already been cut.  Now it has to be Dalton and/or DreK.  But thanks for the snark. i guess this makes us even.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - BURROWorBUST - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 12:05 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Wake is 38 years old? Jones 32. At the vet minimum it's smart to add some leaders and depth. Wake as an OLB, Jones as a safety. I'd prefer younger players, but I guess that's what the draft is for.

With as much attention as the D is getting in FA, I expect to see 5 picks from the draft going to improve the offense. That could mean only 2 picks for the D, or more if we trade down.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Schmitbuck - 03-25-2020

Hot damn. The defense could really shoot up in rankings this year even before these two potential signings.

I find the the Wake rumor interesting. Does that seem like a lot of guys on the edge to anyone else? I wonder if we could see someone traded.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-25-2020

(03-24-2020, 11:21 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: WTF is going on with Lou Anarumo? How's he shaking all this money out of Mike Brown?

Lou Anarumo went to Mike Brown and said, "There's this coronavirus thing going around and you're in the high risk group because you're an octogenarian.  That means total self-isolation for you!  Just enjoy things for a month and we'll get you out of isolation after the Draft."  

Meanwhile, Zac Taylor swiped Mike Brown's checkbook while Lou was distracting him.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 06:29 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I find the the Wake rumor interesting. Does that seem like a lot of guys on the edge to anyone else? I wonder if we could see someone traded.

Not at all. As bad as the Bengals have been burned by outside the tackle runs and jet sweeps I think we need as many edge players as we can get.

(03-25-2020, 03:07 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: With as much attention as the D is getting in FA, I expect to see 5 picks from the draft going to improve the offense. That could mean only 2 picks for the D, or more if we trade down.

I still see us picking 2 linebackers, one edge player, and a safety. Could also see a dlineman and cb. On offense we definitely need a guard. I could see tight end, wr and tackle looked at too. That’s obviously more picks then we have so some positions will be left out based on how the draft falls. Im still thinking 4 defensive players to 3 offense.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - bwh - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 12:09 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I still see us picking 2 linebackers, one edge player, and a safety. Could also see a dlineman and cb. On offense we definitely need a guard. I could see tight end, wr and tackle looked at too. That’s obviously more picks then we have so some positions will be left out based on how the draft falls. Im still thinking 4 defensive players to 3 offense.

I like what the Bengals have done so far this offseason. However, I think that they have more needs than they can fill in one offseason. Its going to take a couple of years to rebuild.

Assuming they take Burrow at # 1, I would like the day 2 picks to go to LB and OT. Then go best player available through the rest of the draft.

The Bengals also need improvement and production from a lot of the players that they already have - Williams, Sample, Pratt , Price, Ross, Jordan, etc. 

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Sled21 - 03-25-2020

(03-24-2020, 11:21 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Words for Ace Boogie is that the Bengals are in talks with both these guys.

Reader
Waynes
Alexander
Bynes
Wake?
Jones?

People laughed when I said I was predicting Zac Taylor will turn out to be a great coach. And every time we pick up a free agent, they act like Taylor had nothing to do with it. But FACT, part of the head coaches job is to be able to work within the ownership to get the players he needs to win. Nobody has ever gotten MB to open his wallet like this in free agency.  This is the coaching staff we've needed. Taylor just needs to let the play calling go to the OC....

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Okeana - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 12:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People laughed when I said I was predicting Zac Taylor will turn out to be a great coach. And every time we pick up a free agent, they act like Taylor had nothing to do with it. But FACT, part of the head coaches job is to be able to work within the ownership to get the players he needs to win. Nobody has ever gotten MB to open his wallet like this in free agency.  This is the coaching staff we've needed. Taylor just needs to let the play calling go to the OC....

Last season is a big pass for me altogether, because he never got to put his system in, didn't have time to properly scout, and didn't have any time to set up free agency.  Last year's offseason was 1000% all duke Tobin because they got such a late start.  What you're seeing now is a guy who understands how to get this team younger and more productive.  If people stay healthy and he adds some good pieces in draft we could have a heck of a team next year.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Joelist - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 01:17 PM)Okeana Wrote: Last season is a big pass for me altogether, because he never got to put his system in, didn't have time to properly scout, and didn't have any time to set up free agency.  Last year's offseason was 1000% all duke Tobin because they got such a late start.  What you're seeing now is a guy who understands how to get this team younger and more productive.  If people stay healthy and he adds some good pieces in draft we could have a heck of a team next year.

We also got blown up by injuries before he could get anything going. 

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Whatever - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 12:09 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I still see us picking 2 linebackers, one edge player, and a safety. Could also see a dlineman and cb. On offense we definitely need a guard. I could see tight end, wr and tackle looked at too. That’s obviously more picks then we have so some positions will be left out based on how the draft falls. Im still thinking 4 defensive players to 3 offense.

I really can't see that.  The Bengals have signed 4 new starters on defense (Reader, Waynes, Alexander, and Bynes) and only one on offense (XSF).  That would indicate that they are going to focus on offense in the draft.  Can't see any of the offensive coaches being happy if they dumped all that money and most of their picks into the defense and left them with scraps to try and build around a rookie QB.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - JerseyDD09 - 03-25-2020

So, I may get a lot of blow back for this comment. But, it seems logical to me. The whole staff has FA/Draft meetings each day. Mike Brown is a part of those meetings.
I'm sure that Mike Brown did have some input into these Defensive player signings simply b/c the last time he had Dalton as a rookie QB, they had a really good defense. And, they made the playoffs that year at 9-7 I think?

A good defense is a Rookie QB's best friend (along with a Running game). And, this current regime wasn't here 9 years ago to know what happened with that rookie class and QB and defense; so, I wouldn't be surprised if Mikey's input actually was part of this whole process.
Of course, anyone could just watch the tape and realize their Defense was the worst in the league, and at tackling as well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this shit out. Lol

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - JerseyDD09 - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 01:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: I really can't see that.  The Bengals have signed 4 new starters on defense (Reader, Waynes, Alexander, and Bynes) and only one on offense (XSF).  That would indicate that they are going to focus on offense in the draft.  Can't see any of the offensive coaches being happy if they dumped all that money and most of their picks into the defense and left them with scraps to try and build around a rookie QB.

I think there's too many holes to fill in one off season. But, they are trying their best to patch up the defense.
If you think about it, they already get to add 3 pieces back to the offense they didn't have last year in Burrow, Jonah, and AJ. (3 major additions)
I think that offense will be just fine as is going into the season (at least for this year).
They can afford to not have a lot of draft picks going their way with the weapons they'll have in AJ, Boyd, Ross, Tate and Mixon.

But the defense, on the other hand, needed and still needs a lot of work for now and the future. There wasn't a lot of youth on it, and the veterans weren't playing well at all. It needed a major overhaul in order to compete in this league.

I still think the draft will go mostly Defenses way after Burrow is taken. So, we'll just have to see I guess.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Whatever - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 01:46 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I think there's too many holes to fill in one off season. But, they are trying their best to patch up the defense.
If you think about it, they already get to add 3 pieces back to the offense they didn't have last year in Burrow, Jonah, and AJ. (3 major additions)
I think that offense will be just fine as is going into the season (at least for this year).
They can afford to not have a lot of draft picks going their way with the weapons they'll have in AJ, Boyd, Ross, Tate and Mixon.

But the defense, on the other hand, needed and still needs a lot of work for now and the future. There wasn't a lot of youth on it, and the veterans weren't playing well at all. It needed a major overhaul in order to compete in this league.

I still think the draft will go mostly Defenses way after Burrow is taken. So, we'll just have to see I guess.

After FA, they have way more needs on the offensive side of the ball.  Hinging the success of your offense on AJ Green and John Ross staying healthy is a fool's errand and both are in contract years.  Joe Mixon may potentially hold out and is also in a contract year, so unless you're ponying up big money for an extension, you need a RB.  Eifert is gone, so you need TE depth.  Of course, the OL also needs work.  

From a business sense, they can't just punt on offense to focus on the defense because they need Burrow to look like a stud to move tickets.

At this point, the D could use a starter at LB and depth at S and Edge, which they're currently looking at adding in FA. 

(03-25-2020, 12:22 PM)bwh Wrote: I like what the Bengals have done so far this offseason. However, I think that they have more needs than they can fill in one offseason. Its going to take a couple of years to rebuild.

Assuming they take Burrow at # 1, I would like the day 2 picks to go to LB and OT. Then go best player available through the rest of the draft.

The Bengals also need improvement and production from a lot of the players that they already have - Williams, Sample, Pratt , Price, Ross, Jordan, etc. 

I agree somewhat that this is a process to rebuild the team. The team is off to a great start in rebuilding the defense and offensive line. We did a good job in the draft last year on the oline, and added a good linebacker as well. The amount of veterans we have indicates to me that we can turn around rather quickly and turn into a playoff team as soon as this year. If we would have traded all of our veterans away I would have said this is a multiple year rebuild. But we didn't. We are letting go of the weak ones, and adding solid pieces through FA, and hopefully the draft. 

Fixing linebacker is a multiple year venture as whoever we draft will need to develop. I like the idea of having Bynes and a lot of promising young backers being groomed and mentored. We have a veteran secondary. We have a veteran defensive line. We can certainly jump to a middle of the road defense next year at worst IMO. We would obviously get better as our linebackers develop more.

On offense we have a ton of veterans in the skill positions. Our offensive line is rather young, and will take some time to gel as a unit. We will have a rookie QB as well. So I'm definitely expecting growing pains this year, but it is possible we can make the playoffs. After a year under it's belt, next year I think the Bengals could develop into a legit threat.

(03-25-2020, 01:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: I really can't see that [drafting 4 defense, 3 offense].  The Bengals have signed 4 new starters on defense (Reader, Waynes, Alexander, and Bynes) and only one on offense (XSF).  That would indicate that they are going to focus on offense in the draft.  Can't see any of the offensive coaches being happy if they dumped all that money and most of their picks into the defense and left them with scraps to try and build around a rookie QB.

That may be true, but we are transitioning into at 3-4 base defense. We need more depth at linebacker. At a bare minimum that means drafting an OLB/Edge, a MLB, and another late MLB because we have nobody there outside our two starters. I would also add in safety and defensive line as a potential need as we need more depth, and have aging veterans that will need to be replaced in a few years. All in all that is an absolute minimum of 3-4 defensive players.

On offense we obviously need another guard to develop. We have a lot of skilled WRs so whoever we draft will be battling to make the team. But Ross and AJ are on one year deals so getting another WR to develop and potentially replace Ross makes sense. I see us locking up Green for 3 years if we can. I can't see us picking more than one WR, and he likely doesn't get much playing time. Tight end I could see us drafting a guy like Moss in round 5 to compete. But we only keep 3 tight ends so we could be mostly set. One more body makes sense though. Another offensive tackle wouldn't hurt, either. I could see as many as 4 offensive players drafted, but not more. 

All in all I think the way this offseason is going, we draft pretty even offense to defense.

RE: Cameron Wake & Reshad Jones - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-25-2020

Reader
Waynes
Alexander
Bynes
Wake?
Jones?

This is a different Free Agency no question. Zac and Lou are setting up the team the way they weren't allowed to last season.

They had no time last year to do this and then their early round LT went down, their starting WR went down, the back up to the
LT went down, Ross went down, Price sucked probably cause of injury. They finally got the scheme corrected late in the season 
and we saw some production but by that time they didn't want to lose that first overall pick I think.

Obviously this FA sets us up for an Offensive Draft. Get Burrow, get weapons, improve the O-line and add a LB or two I think is
the plan.