Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The difference with this Free agent haul - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The difference with this Free agent haul (/Thread-The-difference-with-this-Free-agent-haul)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Mike M (the other one) - 04-03-2020

(04-02-2020, 06:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: List your qualifications to judge NFL players.

People who act like they have enough credibility to say things like "The only thing that matters is my opinion" crack me up when they have NOTHING to back up their opinion.

I dunno. Maybe these guys are wrong.... 

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2020/3/7/21168655/the-ravens-should-re-sign-josh-bynes 

Bynes quietly had one of the strongest seasons among linebackers. His PFF grade of 79.4 ranked sixth among linebackers this season. This is not an isolated occurrence, either; he had a PFF rating of 75.3 with the Cardinals in 2018. That included a run defense grade of 80.2. 

While Bynes is a good run defender, he really stood out in pass coverage. Opponets had a passer rating of only 47.4, when targeting him. Let's compare that to his fellow inside linebackers. 

Opponent passer rating when targeted 
Josh Bynes: 47.4
L.J. Fort: 84.1 
Patrick Onwuasor: 118.6 
Chris Board: 118.7 

Looks solid to me. Sure he's a bit older, but still producing and it takes two Fred. We did try to get the other younger ones but we got beat out contract wise or the wanted to play for a specific team. When you compare our other signings, this one is a good bargain for the production and a NEED. 

What do you have backing your claims besides what you say?

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - TecmoBengals - 04-03-2020

I think Bynes was brought in to mentor young LBs we potentially draft. Bynes comes from a winning franchise. He might have intangibles we can't measure with stats that Vigil didn't.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - fredtoast - 04-03-2020

(04-02-2020, 08:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: See any irony here ?

57.7 ?

I don't understand what you mean.

Hart only allowed 4 sacks and only had 2 holding penalties in 2019.  Those were some of the best numbers in the league for full time starting OTs.  His pass protection improved dramatically from 2018.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Nicomo Cosca - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 09:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't understand what you mean.

Hart only allowed 4 sacks and only had 2 holding penalties in 2019.  Those were some of the best numbers in the league for full time starting OTs.  His pass protection improved dramatically from 2018.

It’s already been pointed out to you there’s conflicting numbers with your stats. Pff had him giving up more than 4 sacks.

(04-03-2020, 04:17 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What do you have backing your claims besides what you say?

I have the opinion of all NFL teams.

All this post does is show how useless PFF player rankins are.  You know what happened after the 2018 season when Bynes posted those high PFF rankings?  The Cards cut him from a contract paying him less than $2 million per year.  And if Bynes is the sixth best run defending LB in the league why is he just getting a league minimun contract this year?

The passer rating allowed is generally an objective stat, but his 47.4 ranking last year seems to be a bit of an anomaly based on the fact that he was only targeted 16 times.  In 2018 when he was targeted 46 times he allowed a 122.4 passer rating.

(04-03-2020, 10:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s already been pointed out to you there’s conflicting numbers with your stats. Pff had him giving up more than 4 sacks.

Even PFF just has him at 6 I believe.  Still a huge improvement.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Mike M (the other one) - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have the opinion of all NFL teams.

All this post does is show how useless PFF player rankins are.  You know what happened after the 2018 season when Bynes posted those high PFF rankings?  The Cards cut him from a contract paying him less than $2 million per year.  And if Bynes is the sixth best run defending LB in the league why is he just getting a league minimun contract this year?

The passer rating allowed is generally an objective stat, but his 47.4 ranking last year seems to be a bit of an anomaly based on the fact that he was only targeted 16 times.  In 2018 when he was targeted 46 times he allowed a 122.4 passer rating.

You really like to run with some crazy crap and ignore all other variables. 

First. Arizona had a HC change and DC Vance Joseph switched them from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Maybe the new coaches didnt see him as a good fit in their new scheme? He also saved them 2 mil by being cut for them to ramp up for FA's that do fit their new scheme.

And no one is saying he's gonna be an All-Pro or is the answer to all of our problems. He is a decent quality band aid in a position of need, which should allow us some time to draft his replacement later. 

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Fan_in_Kettering - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 09:47 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think Bynes was brought in to mentor young LBs we potentially draft.  Bynes comes from a winning franchise.  He might have intangibles we can't measure with stats that Vigil didn't.

Comparing Josh Bynes with Nick Vigil is pointless in my opinion.  Why?  Josh Bynes is an average linebacker on a top-tier defense.  Put him on a crap defense like we currently have in Cincinnati and the defense will get better.  

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - McC - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 12:16 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Comparing Josh Bynes with Nick Vigil is pointless in my opinion.  Why?  Josh Bynes is an average linebacker on a top-tier defense.  Put him on a crap defense like we currently have in Cincinnati and the defense will get better.  

Fred's not gonna stop until everyone agrees with him and says Bynes sucks.  In other words, NEVER.  Eight, ten years from now, he'll be bringing it up, a la Nasty Nate Livings.

The difference with this Free agent haul - BenZoo2 - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 12:41 PM)McC Wrote: Fred's not gonna stop until everyone agrees with him and says Bynes sucks.  In other words, NEVER.  Eight, ten years from now, he'll be bringing it up, a la Nasty Nate Livings.

Let’s all chip in and and send a Bynes bengals jersey to mrs toast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-03-2020, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have the opinion of all NFL teams.

Ok and what was Vigils? 

(04-03-2020, 03:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Ok and what was Vigils? 

2019 league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Synric - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2019 league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

If only he could play the run...which he couldn't.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Kingslayer - 04-03-2020

Should change his name to FredTroll

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - SladeX - 04-03-2020

The team wanted better tacklers, and bynes & co fit that plan.
The team actually had a coherent plan for FA, and stuck to it. It's so unusual, not surprised some of us can wrap our heads around this, lol.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 05:40 PM)Synric Wrote: If only he could play the run...which he couldn't.

Yeah that would be nice.

(04-03-2020, 08:13 PM)SladeX Wrote: The team wanted better tacklers, and bynes & co fit that plan.
The team actually had a coherent plan for FA, and stuck to it. It's so unusual, not surprised some of us can wrap our heads around this, lol.

True this is a clear plan to get one side of the ball under control and good at tackling.

Thanks to this well thought out plan we can work on the other side of the ball in the Draft and build around Burrow.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - BengalChris - 04-03-2020

(04-03-2020, 09:47 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think Bynes was brought in to mentor young LBs we potentially draft.  Bynes comes from a winning franchise.  He might have intangibles we can't measure with stats that Vigil didn't.

Yep, analytics without an understanding of how the game is played to win gives the league GM's like Sashi Brown (lawyer by education), not to mention boneheaded mock drafts concocted by a Biologist and published by NFL.com.

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - Kingslayer - 04-03-2020

I have to sit here and watch a grown ass man defend Nick Vigil and Bobby Hart....

Really?

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - WhoDey - 04-04-2020

(04-03-2020, 11:59 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Hilarious I have to sit here and watch a grown ass man defend Nick Vigil and Bobby Hart....

Really?

RE: The difference with this Free agent haul - fredtoast - 04-04-2020

(04-03-2020, 08:01 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Should change his name to FredTroll

(04-03-2020, 11:59 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I have to sit here and watch a grown ass man defend Nick Vigil and Bobby Hart....

Really?

Well you hgave a choise.  You can either posts some facts or stats to defend your position, or you can continue posting childish person comments that don't add any information to the discussion.