Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks (/Thread-Mixon-Bengals-had-productive-talks)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - bengalfan74 - 05-19-2020

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-joe-mixon-bengals-had-productive-talks-about-new-deal/ar-BB14iUE7?ocid=spartandhp

Seems the Bengals are making resigning Mixon a priority.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Nicomo Cosca - 05-19-2020

Glad to hear it. Not only is he one of our best players, he’s one of our more outgoing, and vocal leaders. I hope they get this done soon.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - fredtoast - 05-19-2020

They can get this done if they want to. Mixon does not want to risk playing for only $1.2 million this year. Last year was the only season he has played all 16 games. He knows how easy he could get injured and have a bad year. He will accept any reasonable offer with a nice bonus up front.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - CJD - 05-19-2020

These updates on contract talks are so weird to me.

I guess some news is better than no news, but we've been hearing about the progressing talks for a few months now. It'd be nice if they could just close on the deal already.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - fredtoast - 05-19-2020

Don't panic if this does not happen right away. The Bengals almost always finalize these deals right before training camp.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - SunsetBengal - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 11:39 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-joe-mixon-bengals-had-productive-talks-about-new-deal/ar-BB14iUE7?ocid=spartandhp

Seems the Bengals are making resigning Mixon a priority.

They mention McCaffery at $15M and Gordon at $8M, then suggest that the Bengals and Mixon find a "happy medium" between the two?  Between the two would be around $12M/per avg.

As much as I like Mixon's play on the field, it's tough to imagine the Bengals paying North of $10M per on a RB.  

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - bengalfan74 - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 11:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They mention McCaffery at $15M and Gordon at $8M, then suggest that the Bengals and Mixon find a "happy medium" between the two?  Between the two would be around $12M/per avg.

As much as I like Mixon's play on the field, it's tough to imagine the Bengals paying North of $10M per on a RB.  

agree, to me the happy medium would be between like 7 and 9.5 million

(05-19-2020, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They can get this done if they want to. Mixon does not want to risk playing for only $1.2 million this year. Last year was the only season he has played all 16 games. He knows how easy he could get injured and have a bad year. He will accept any reasonable offer with a nice bonus up front.

I hope so

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Wes Mantooth - 05-19-2020

Yes, please!

This is absolute no brainer extension IMHO. And like Fred just stated, there's a ton of incentive for him to want to get this done now. There's leverage there in rewarding him with an extension. As long as Mixon and his agent aren't unrealistic with their demands then this should get done.

I really think a fair for both parties deal looks like 8-10 million per. You're paying him early, and you're paying him in line with his production and peers.

People like to point to some of these bigger deals like Macafferty as reference but that's not apples to apples. All you have to do is look to his overall numbers, and especially his usage in the pass game to realize he's an entirely different player.

The reality is the #5 paid back last season was Devonta Freeman @ 8.25 mil. (Note: He signed this deal after a Superbowl season, in which eclipsed 1,500 total yards, had 11 TD's, averaged a whopping 4.8 a carry, made the Pro Bowl, and ranked #48 in the Top 100)

Let's look at the other guys in the top 5: Elliot, Gurley, L Bell, D Johnson.

Gurley - A TERRIBLE signing, a disaster of a deal. Released just two years later.
L Bell - Another awful contract. There's plenty of rumors the Jets want out after only 1 year. And they can opt out after this season.
D Johnson - Bad move again. Traded just two years later.

Outside of Elliot, who IMHO, is also grossly overpaid, all of these deals were awful. And fwiw, I wouldn't pay Macaffery that much either.

As of right now there are only 5 backs making 10+ for 2020. Two of those are Johnson and Bell, who by this time next season will be looking at substantial decreases in pay. Another is Derrek Henry, who is at 10.2 mil on a franchise tag.

So I think if we can lock him at 9 or 10 mil, that's a great deal for both sides. But anything much beyond that would be stupid. Even those guys listed above, who ended being terrible deals, had much more production in the pass game and all had greater overall number than Mixon.

tldr; I want to resign Mixon. I think he's worth about 9 mil or so. I think paying 12 mil is stupid though. Sign him to a new deal at 9-10 mil and I'll be happy. ThumbsUp

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Sled21 - 05-19-2020

I wish these "sports writers" would keep up. There is no more holdout. Mixon has no leverage at this point thanks to the new CBA. He can't afford to hold out.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - sandwedge - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yes, please!

This is absolute no brainer extension IMHO. And like Fred just stated, there's a ton of incentive for him to want to get this done now.  There's leverage there in rewarding him with an extension.  As long as Mixon and his agent aren't unrealistic with their demands then this should get done.

I really think a fair for both parties deal looks like 8-10 million per.  You're paying him early, and you're paying him in line with his production and peers.

People like to point to some of these bigger deals like Macafferty as reference but that's not apples to apples.  All you have to do is look to his overall numbers, and especially his usage in the pass game to realize he's an entirely different player.

The reality is the #5 paid back last season was Devonta Freeman @ 8.25 mil. (Note: He signed this deal after a Superbowl season, in which eclipsed 1,500 total yards, had 11 TD's, averaged a whopping 4.8 a carry, made the Pro Bowl, and ranked #48 in the Top 100)

Let's look at the other guys in the top 5:  Elliot, Gurley, L Bell, D Johnson.

Gurley - A TERRIBLE signing, a disaster of a deal. Released just two years later.
L Bell - Another awful contract. There's plenty of rumors the Jets want out after only 1 year. And they can opt out after this season.
D Johnson - Bad move again. Traded just two years later.

Outside of Elliot, who IMHO, is also grossly overpaid, all of these deals were awful. And fwiw, I wouldn't pay Macaffery that much either.

As of right now there are only 5 backs making 10+ for 2020.  Two of those are Johnson and Bell, who by this time next season will be looking at substantial decreases in pay.  Another is Derrek Henry, who is at 10.2 mil on a franchise tag.

So I think if we can lock him at 9 or 10 mil, that's a great deal for both sides.  But anything much beyond that would be stupid.  Even those guys listed above, who ended being terrible deals, had much more production in the pass game and all had greater overall number than Mixon.

tldr; I want to resign Mixon. I think he's worth about 9 mil or so.  I think paying 12 mil is stupid though.  Sign him to a new deal at 9-10 mil and I'll be happy.  ThumbsUp
I actually agree with you Wes. It would be better to extend him now than later. If he goes off this year, he's gonna cost a lot to keep. If he gets injured, then he heals up and you still have one of the best backs in the NFL. Also agree with you and Sunset, 12 mil is too much.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Bilbo Saggins - 05-19-2020

8 mil/year with a high percentage guaranteed seems fair.

Melvin Gordon did a favor to teams negotiating with RB's, while he really hurt his peers leveraging a holdout. And Leveon Bell's production isn't helping matters for RB's either.

You want to threaten a hold-out, and miss the season or miss games? Fine, lose out on income right now. What's the reward in playing a game of chicken? Well, in Melvin Gordon's case it's 2 years, 16 mil. And this after forfeiting 5 paychecks, which further lowers these numbers.

Leveon Bell, whose numbers prior to his deal make Mixon's look like Gio Bernards, did successfully use a holdout to his advantage. The problem is he's nowhere close to living up to his obscene contract.

Bell, Gurley, and David Johnson are all cautionary tales, and all hurt the market. The position continues to decline in salary, and players continue to have less leverage in negotiations. I have to believe Mixon and his agent are well aware of all this.

They can take a huge increase is pay this year, which would pay him near top money. Or they can holdout, and hope somehow they'll convince someone down the line they deserve more. The problem is, without the numbers, and with a potential franchise tag looming, they don't hold any cards.

It would be very stupid for them to seriously consider a holdout if a fair and decent contract is on the table. Melvin Gordon is proof of this. Don't let your ego convince you your worth or negotiating power is greater than it really is.

(05-19-2020, 12:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wish these "sports writers" would keep up. There is no more holdout. Mixon has no leverage at this point thanks to the new CBA. He can't afford to hold out.

It's my understanding that the new fines levied against holdouts only apply to those who are on the 2nd contract or greater.  I'm pretty sure if you read it closely it will say "verteran players" which is specified as the above.

I could be wrong, but I think players on a rookie deal can holdout just as before, with no additional fines.

Really doesn't matter though in this case.  Melvin Gordon really killed the chances of Mixon actually holding out into the season.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - Geno_Can_Dunk - 05-19-2020

If you look at the story, it's based mostly on a tweet from Jeremy Flower, which itself is probably just a recycling of what Tobin said a few weeks ago.

I do agree a deal will probably get done, but I doubt this "report" is based on any new developments in negotiations.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - SunsetBengal - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 12:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: agree, to me the happy medium would be between like 7 and 9.5 million

That seems more in line with what I was thinking.  On another note we've now moved past sports writers simply "telling the news" to now they're now shade tree sports agents "suggesting" what the market price on RBs should be?  Are these bozos at Bengals wire getting kickbacks from the agents??  LOL

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - GreenCornBengal - 05-19-2020

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. In Mixon’s case there has to be a sense of loyalty to the franchise that drafted him despite his history. I never want to say a player ‘owes’ the organization, but there has to be some level of appreciation towards the Brown family and I hope that helps this relationship continue for another contract.

He is one of the funnest guys to watch in Sunday’s, I don’t want to see him in another uniform.

RE: Mixon- Bengals had productive talks - CloeHokie - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They can get this done if they want to. Mixon does not want to risk playing for only $1.2 million this year. Last year was the only season he has played all 16 games. He knows how easy he could get injured and have a bad year. He will accept any reasonable offer with a nice bonus up front.

Agreed. Running back market is a bit all over the place but he would be better suited to get a deal done now than risk the chance of getting nothing. That has not worked out for other Running backs recently.

(05-19-2020, 01:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. In Mixon’s case there has to be a sense of loyalty to the franchise that drafted him despite his history. I never want to say a player ‘owes’ the organization, but there has to be some level of appreciation towards the Brown family and I hope that helps this relationship continue for another contract.

He is one of the funnest guys to watch in Sunday’s, I don’t want to see him in another uniform.

Yep

It's hard saying how far he would have fell if the Bengals hadn't taken him at 48 ? But I don't think it's going out to much on a limb to speculate it would have been a good bit. And I agree he should keep that in mind.

(05-19-2020, 01:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That seems more in line with what I was thinking.  On another note we've now moved past sports writers simply "telling the news" to now they're now shade tree sports agents "suggesting" what the market price on RBs should be?  Are these bozos at Bengals wire getting kickbacks from the agents??  LOL

You have to wonder ?