Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias (/Thread-LE-Leaks-show-treatment-of-pro-BLM-protestors-vs-conservative-militias)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Belsnickel - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 09:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Rosenbaum was unarmed, so I find it a tough sell to say the gun shot helps to justify shooting him, but I do think 1st degree is an overcharge. 

I get that point of view, but Rittenhouse was running, hears a shot fired from behind him, turns and sees Rosenbaum, and opens fire. While Rosenbaum was unarmed, I can see it as completely reasonable for someone to be in fear for their life in that situation.

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - BmorePat87 - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 09:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get that point of view, but Rittenhouse was running, hears a shot fired from behind him, turns and sees Rosenbaum, and opens fire. While Rosenbaum was unarmed, I can see it as completely reasonable for someone to be in fear for their life in that situation.

If I recall correctly, Rittenhouse had stopped and turned to face Rosenbaum, standing there as Rosenbaum approached, unarmed. It wasn't a quick turn and shoot. 

I understand that hearing gun fire could cause a reasonable fear, but he shot an unarmed man at point blank range. It's not like Rosenbaum had something that even looked like a gun. 

What will impact this is what occurred prior to what's on video. If Rittenhouse goads anyone, Wisconsin law shoots self defense down. 

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Nately120 - 08-28-2020

(08-27-2020, 06:22 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah because he was reaching for that spec of dirt on his floorboard carpet. Dude was just tasered by the cops and resisting. He went to the location of a deadly weapon after that. Use your brain for a second. I know it's hard to actually think for yourself, but you can do it. Anyone with 2 brain cells knows what he was doing.

If they knew he was going for a knife why not just wait until he was facing them with the knife and THEN shoot him?  That seems like the way to do it, since they knew he was basically committing suicide by cop.  Why unload into his back before he puts himself into a position where shooting him is 100% justified?  Just seems like the cops really could have avoided the bad press by waiting a few seconds.  I get that it is riskier, but they knew what they were getting into when they decided to join the force.

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 07:32 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am officially in the self-defense camp for Rittenhouse. Had the situation just been Rosenbaum chasing him, then I would still be undecided. However, one of the idiots in the crowd fired a shot from his handgun into the air before Rittenhouse stops and fires any shots. After that person fired the shot into the air, Rittenhouse turns around, sees Rosenbaum, and very reasonably in my opinion sees his life in danger and fires at Rosenbaum as that is who is pursuing him. The other two shots as self-defense depended on the status of the first one in my view.

I am still of the opinion he should have been taken into custody by police and that he should be charged with illegal possession of a firearm. However, the homicide charges against him should not hold.

Also, the "Rosenbaum was a pedophile" thing appears to be a fake.

You right wing extremist you. Cool

(08-28-2020, 08:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I won't be surprised if another right wing extremist is allowed to kill one or two people and be justified while another minority is handcuffed to his hospital bed while paralyzed after being shot in the back seven times just for having a knife (maybe).

After all the law is the law.

Mellow

All seriousness aside we still have a gun problem in this country and the Rittenhouse situation is just another example.

What about this kid makes him a "right wing extremist?  That he supports law enforcement?  You've labeled this kid from the beginning as some kind of wayward, misguided soul.  Why is that?  Yeah, the law is the law, and it doesn't look like he broke it when defending himself from a mob.  He did carry his rifle illegally though.

(08-28-2020, 09:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Rosenbaum was unarmed, so I find it a tough sell to say the gun shot helps to justify shooting him, but I do think 1st degree is an overcharge. 

You're fixating on a legal irrelevancy.  First Rosenbaum was attacking him.  Secondly, Rittenhouse heard someone fire a gun behind him.  Third, Rosenbaum was not alone, he was part of a large mob pursuing this kid.  An "unarmed man can still beat the shit out of you and take your weapon, especially when he's got numerous people to back him up.  Rittenhouse had a very legitimate reason to fear for his life.

(08-28-2020, 09:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get that point of view, but Rittenhouse was running, hears a shot fired from behind him, turns and sees Rosenbaum, and opens fire. While Rosenbaum was unarmed, I can see it as completely reasonable for someone to be in fear for their life in that situation.

Absolutely.

(08-28-2020, 10:10 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If I recall correctly, Rittenhouse had stopped and turned to face Rosenbaum, standing there as Rosenbaum approached, unarmed. It wasn't a quick turn and shoot. 

I understand that hearing gun fire could cause a reasonable fear, but he shot an unarmed man at point blank range. It's not like Rosenbaum had something that even looked like a gun. 

What will impact this is what occurred prior to what's on video. If Rittenhouse goads anyone, Wisconsin law shoots self defense down. 

What does "goad" mean?  What are your parameters here?

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Nately120 - 08-28-2020

So I guess this kid probably wasn't too terribly against killing protesters and those damn protesters gave him a reason to kill them and now he's a sort of folk-hero for the right. It sort of stinks that we've replaced heroically defending ourselves from terrorists with heroically defending ourselves from Americans, but here we are.

Score one for the right wing on this one. Your move, liberals.

The real lesson here is if you have a firearm you shoot to kill, not to warn because that warning shot just means you have to kill me now. I'm no gun nut but I'm pretty sure rule 1 or so is to not draw it or fire it if you don't intend to actually shoot someone.

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - BmorePat87 - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 11:51 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What does "goad" mean?  What are your parameters here?

I'm referring to the Wisconsin law on self defense:

"A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense"

What happened before the pursuit will matter a great deal. 

(08-28-2020, 01:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What happened before the pursuit will matter a great deal. 

Not if it's a jury trial.  Plus Trump is going to weigh in on it which is going to complicate things even further.  This thing is going to be a huge mess, isn't it?

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 01:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm referring to the Wisconsin law on self defense:

"A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense"

What happened before the pursuit will matter a great deal. 

The key part of that law is "with intent to use such an attack as an excuse", which will be extremely difficult to prove.  By his actions in the video it is rather apparent that this kid didn't want this confrontation.  He was immediately on his phone calling 911 saying he had just killed a man.

(08-28-2020, 01:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The key part of that law is "with intent to use such an attack as an excuse", which will be extremely difficult to prove.  By his actions in the video it is rather apparent that this kid didn't want this confrontation.  He was immediately on his phone calling 911 saying he had just killed a man.

True, I find the action of taking a gun to an area swarming with people you hate and wouldn't mind using your gun on to be rather bad form, but that's not illegal.  If this thing even goes to trial it's just going to be a wank fest for the people who dream about legally killing people.  Any further attempt to delve into this is just going to give the right wing another George Zimmerman-style anti-hero.

It's like an old timey duel...two people discharge firearms and if you are the guy who intentionally missed in order to send a message and you get drilled it's your own damn fault.

Welp, on to the next shooting.

(08-28-2020, 01:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The key part of that law is "with intent to use such an attack as an excuse", which will be extremely difficult to prove.  By his actions in the video it is rather apparent that this kid didn't want this confrontation.  He was immediately on his phone calling 911 saying he had just killed a man.

We'll see if we get more information. He crossed state lines with a gun he possessed illegally, openly carried it illegally, and was a few blocks away from the site he claimed to be protecting. I'm not sure if his intent wasn't to start some shit. 

I'm trying to make sure I do not refer to either killings as "murder" (I don't think I have), but I have been stating my opinion on acceptable use of force. 

(08-28-2020, 01:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, I find the action of taking a gun to an area swarming with people you hate and wouldn't mind using your gun on to be rather bad form, but that's not illegal.  If this thing even goes to trial it's just going to be a wank fest for the people who dream about legally killing people.  Any further attempt to delve into this is just going to give the right wing another George Zimmerman-style anti-hero.

It's like an old timey duel...two people discharge firearms and if you are the guy who intentionally missed in order to send a message and you get drilled it's your own damn fault.

Technically it was illegal for him to both posses the gun and openly carry it. He was also doing this while violating curfew.

I also don't think enough attention is being put on whichever cop saw a kid walking around with a gun and thanked him and gave him water.

(08-28-2020, 02:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Technically it was illegal for him to both posses the gun and openly carry it. 

Ok, then if it does go to trial that's going to get tossed out as "time served."  Either that or people are just going to admit that even illegal firearms are still key to protecting our lives so that's a small price to pay.

(08-28-2020, 01:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, I find the action of taking a gun to an area swarming with people you hate and wouldn't mind using your gun on to be rather bad form, but that's not illegal.

Wouldn't be my first choice either.  That being said, they appeared to have good intentions, preventing the looting and burning of businesses.  As I've been saying for some time now, when the local government surrenders the streets to a mob someone is probably going to try and fill that gap.  In Seattle and Portland the gap was filled by the mob.  In Wisconsin it was citizens who actual cared about law and order.

Quote:  If this thing even goes to trial it's just going to be a wank fest for the people who dream about legally killing people.  Any further attempt to delve into this is just going to give the right wing another George Zimmerman-style anti-hero.

It will certainly be high theater for both sides.  I honestly really feel bad for this kid.  You watch the videos of him cleaning graffiti and explaining that he's there to help protect people and it makes me sad that his life is potentially over at 17.  I know some will view this as my not caring about the two dead people.  If Rittenhouse did not act in self defense than I absolutely do.  If he was, as it appears on the video, then you're right, I don't feel bad for them at all.

Quote:It's like an old timey duel...two people discharge firearms and if you are the guy who intentionally missed in order to send a message and you get drilled it's your own damn fault.

Or, more accurately, the next one the media cares about because it fits their narrative de jour.  They happen on a daily basis, multiple times, in Chicago.

(08-28-2020, 02:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We'll see if we get more information. He crossed state lines with a gun he possessed illegally, openly carried it illegally, and was a few blocks away from the site he claimed to be protecting. I'm not sure if his intent wasn't to start some shit. 

I'm trying to make sure I do not refer to either killings as "murder" (I don't think I have), but I have been stating my opinion on acceptable use of force. 

All valid points.

(08-28-2020, 02:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wouldn't be my first choice either.  That being said, they appeared to have good intentions, preventing the looting and burning of businesses.  As I've been saying for some time now, when the local government surrenders the streets to a mob someone is probably going to try and fill that gap.  In Seattle and Portland the gap was filled by the mob.  In Wisconsin it was citizens who actual cared about law and order.

It will certainly be high theater for both sides.  I honestly really feel bad for this kid.  You watch the videos of him cleaning graffiti and explaining that he's there to help protect people and it makes me sad that his life is potentially over at 17.  I know some will view this as my not caring about the two dead people.  If Rittenhouse did not act in self defense than I absolutely do.  If he was, as it appears on the video, then you're right, I don't feel bad for them at all.

Or, more accurately, the next one the media cares about because it fits their narrative de jour.  They happen on a daily basis, multiple times, in Chicago.

Ehh this kid's life is probably just beginning.  The left is going to botch this and turn him into a hero, I tells ya. You have to wonder how many people are now going to go out and make a name for themselves doing the same thing, but I don't even know if a legitimate civil war would phase us at this point.

Again, I'm going overboard I'm sure, but American on American violence is downright scintillating at the moment.  The kid has pelts on the wall, and I'm thinking the fact that anyone else had a gun or fired it is practically irrelevant.  The enemy is us. And our enemies don't even count as people. We are very good at driving that point home.

EDIT - It's just fascinating seeing blood-thirty American jingoism applied to Americans.

(08-28-2020, 02:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh this kid's life is probably just beginning.  The left is going to botch this and turn him into a hero, I tells ya. You have to wonder how many people are now going to go out and make a name for themselves doing the same thing, but I don't even know if a legitimate civil war would phase us at this point.

I think they already botched it with the clear overcharge of Murder 1.  If he did act in self defense I certainly hope his life isn't ruined because of this.

Quote:Again, I'm going overboard I'm sure, but American on American violence is downright scintillating at the moment.  The kid has pelts on the wall, and I'm thinking the fact that anyone else had a gun or fired it is practically irrelevant.  The enemy is us.  And our enemies don't even count as people.  We are very good at driving that point home.

EDIT - It's just fascinating seeing blood-thirty American jingoism applied to Americans.

Yeah, you might be going a bit overboard here.  Cool

(08-28-2020, 02:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, you might be going a bit overboard here.  Cool

Good because the most cynical part of me is already picturing people saying that what that kid did was "a good start" more so than self defense.

(08-28-2020, 02:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good because the most cynical part of me is already picturing people saying that what that kid did was "a good start" more so than self defense.

I'm sure there are some people saying that.  I don't think they're a sizable group though.

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - samhain - 08-28-2020

I was actually ready to enter this thread to defend or at least acknowledge that Rittenhouse may not have acted in a way that justifies his charges. However, upon realizing that the alt-right apologists and racists will likely elevate him to the level of national hero, I opted not to. This kid was a loser. He dropped out of school because he was socially inept and couldn't deal with kids making fun of him.

His solution was to join a group that would accept him and grant him real power, ie police/some backwoods militia. He was probably a guy with a lot of pent up anger due to sexual repression and years of being the butt of jokes from his peers. He got to get some of that anger out, and now he will be an alt-right demigod.

Rittenhouse is no hero, regardless of case's optics. He's a maladjusted man-baby who dealt with his lack of social development with violence. He wanted to lash out at the society that rightfully pegged him a loser. The gun, as it does for many that I see on the right, validated him. It meant that no matter how much people made fun of him throughout his life, he still had the power to end someone else's.

He's not a good kid. He may not necessarily be a terrible kid, but he wasn't on a path to being socially viable. His parents are morons at best and negligent at worst for letting a kid like that be involved with a group like that at his age.

This is the enduring issue with gun-lovers. They talk and talk about rights and sport and how their passion takes constitutional precedence over the lives of random victims. Unfortunately, deep down, many of them are just little Kyles. They were dorks. They got beat up, made fun of, and crammed in lockers when they were kids. Guns gave them what they never had in life: confidence and a backbone. This is why guns are such an object of idolatry for the right. These are people that never had power that can go to Walmart and buy the ultimate power for 400 bux, lol.

Get mad, argue all you want. Just look at pictures of this kid and tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that this kid isn't a first class, ripe target for any bully.

RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - PhilHos - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 03:43 PM)samhain Wrote: I was actually ready to enter this thread to defend or at least acknowledge that Rittenhouse may not have acted in a way that justifies his charges.  However, upon realizing that the alt-right apologists and racists will likely elevate him to the level of national hero, I opted not to.

It's a good thing you allow the alt-right and racists to dictate your thoughts and opinions.  Whatever