Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season (/Thread-OUR-5-Bold-Predictions-for-the-2020-Season)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - SHRacerX - 08-10-2020

SI just shared theirs. These are mine. What are yours?

1.) The Bengals will have a top 5 offense- Yes, you read that correctly: Top 5. I look at position by position and I can see a "Greatest Show on Turf"-type roster. Sure, there are questions on the offensive line, but I like Jonah Williams over whatever garbage we were rolling out there early last season times 1000. There were huge improvements at LG by MJ through the year (even overcoming an injury). At RG we have XSF with Price breathing down his neck as a last chance to prove himself. And everyone's favorite whipping boy, Bobby Hart has considerable competition from Fred Johnson and, perhaps, Akeem Adeniji. Bottom line: ZT has shown he isn't afraid to throw the ball 50 times if that is what the defense dictates, and with weapons like AJ Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, Auden Tate, CJ Uzomah, Drew Sample, Joe Mixon, and Gio Bernard, I think Burrow will find the best matchup and his mobility adds a dimension not seen here since the Jeff Blake days.

2.) Zack Taylor will win Coach of the Year- He was maligned last year for his play calling, but literally everything that could go wrong last year, did go wrong. If that is what it took to pull a KC (move on from Alex Smith and get a dynamic QB), so be it. I think Taylor's route designs and concepts will be recognized for their creativity with a roster that can properly execute the plan. Furthermore, I think Taylor sees a team as a team and wants to focus on keeping guys fresh and productive by season's end. The leap from year one to year two will win him the award. He may not have as cool a house (yet) as Kliff Kingsbury, but he will be known around the league after this year.

3.) The Bengals will make the playoffs- Yes, they will make the playoffs as the one extra team, despite being in one of the toughest divisions of the NFL. I see such dramatic improvements in talent from FA across the defense, young studs on offense, and Burrow at QB. I believe this team has the talent AND character (a bunch of guys allergic to losing) that will make this happen.

4.) DJ Reader becomes an All-Pro. Yep, not even just Pro Bowl, where he has been snubbed before, but he takes the next step here and becomes a bigger loss to the Texans than even DeAndre Hopkins.

5.) Logan Wilson becomes our starting LB in nickel packages by week 5. I could have seen him even starting week 1 if there was a preseason. I feel that strongly about him. I see him and Pratt as the nickel package (which is really base here) for years to come.

Ok, so my last bold prediction wasn't that bold. The rest were. What do you think? What are yours?

Oh, one last prediction, the number of chins found under Piggy's beard ends up being six.

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - Nicomo Cosca - 08-10-2020

AJ will play all 16 games...

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - Mer - 08-10-2020

Bobby Hart will grade out at the end of the year as a top 15 starting RT. I know he's a lot of folks whipping boy around here but he has improved each year he's been here.

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - KillerGoose - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: SI just shared theirs.  These are mine.  What are yours?

1.) The Bengals will have a top 5 offense-  Yes, you read that correctly:  Top 5.  I look at position by position and I can see a "Greatest Show on Turf"-type roster.  Sure, there are questions on the offensive line, but I like Jonah Williams over whatever garbage we were rolling out there early last season times 1000.  There were huge improvements at LG by MJ through the year (even overcoming an injury).  At RG we have XSF with Price breathing down his neck as a last chance to prove himself.  And everyone's favorite whipping boy, Bobby Hart has considerable competition from Fred Johnson and, perhaps, Akeem Adeniji.  Bottom line:  ZT has shown he isn't afraid to throw the ball 50 times if that is what the defense dictates, and with weapons like AJ Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, Auden Tate, CJ Uzomah, Drew Sample, Joe Mixon, and Gio Bernard, I think Burrow will find the best matchup and his mobility adds a dimension not seen here since the Jeff Blake days.

2.) Zack Taylor will win Coach of the Year-  He was maligned last year for his play calling, but literally everything that could go wrong last year, did go wrong.  If that is what it took to pull a KC (move on from Alex Smith and get a dynamic QB), so be it.  I think Taylor's route designs and concepts will be recognized for their creativity with a roster that can properly execute the plan.  Furthermore, I think Taylor sees a team as a team and wants to focus on keeping guys fresh and productive by season's end.  The leap from year one to year two will win him the award.  He may not have as cool a house (yet) as Kliff Kingsbury, but he will be known around the league after this year.

3.) The Bengals will make the playoffs-  Yes, they will make the playoffs as the one extra team, despite being in one of the toughest divisions of the NFL.  I see such dramatic improvements in talent from FA across the defense, young studs on offense, and Burrow at QB.  I believe this team has the talent AND character (a bunch of guys allergic to losing) that will make this happen.

4.) DJ Reader becomes an All-Pro.  Yep, not even just Pro Bowl, where he has been snubbed before, but he takes the next step here and becomes a bigger loss to the Texans than even DeAndre Hopkins.  

5.) Logan Wilson becomes our starting LB in nickel packages by week 5.  I could have seen him even starting week 1 if there was a preseason.  I feel that strongly about him.  I see him and Pratt as the nickel package (which is really base here) for years to come.

Ok, so my last bold prediction wasn't that bold.  The rest were.  What do you think?  What are yours?

Oh, one last prediction, the number of chins found under Piggy's beard ends up being six.

Fun predictions. Your top four predictions had me feeling uncomfortable, so they are definitely good, BOLD predictions. 

1. Burrow becomes first rookie to pass for 4,500 yards, shattering the rookie passing yardage record.
2. Defense returns to top form, finishes as a top 10 unit.
3. John Ross stays healthy all season and finishes right around the 1000 yard mark.
4. WJIII returns to rookie form and is graded as a top 10 corner by season end. 
5. Bengals make the playoffs and win a game. 

I would be absolutely ecstatic if any of these happen, so keep your fingers crossed!

(08-10-2020, 10:28 AM)Mer Wrote: Bobby Hart will grade out at the end of the year as a top 15 starting RT. I know he's a lot of folks whipping boy around here but he has improved each year here.

He’s only been here 2 years, and the first he was absolutely awful. Slightly improving from that is really not that impressive.

And he’s been the “whipping boy” for good reason. Not only does he suck, he’s a terrible human being on top of it. I can’t wait until he’s off this team.

(08-10-2020, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s only been here 2 years, and the first he was absolutely awful. Slightly improving from that is really not that impressive.

And he’s been the “whipping boy” for good reason. Not only does he suck, he’s a terrible human being on top of it. I can’t wait until he’s off this team.

That's why I said top 15, not 5. It was supposed to be a BOLD prediction, right?

(08-10-2020, 11:12 AM)Mer Wrote: That's why I said top 15, not 5. It was supposed to be a BOLD prediction, right?

I’m not arguing with the prediction as much as your perceived unfairness of him being a “whipping boy.”

(08-10-2020, 11:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not arguing with the prediction as much as your perceived unfairness of him being a “whipping boy.”

That wasn't my intention. I believe the criticism of his play is well deserved. 

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - bfine32 - 08-10-2020

Trayvon Williams will have the 2nd most rushing yards on the season

Sam Hubbard will be top 5 NFL in sacks

Fred Johnson will be starting by week 3

John Ross #2 in receiving yards

Drew Sample has over 10x as many receiving yards as last year

(08-10-2020, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Trayvon Williams will have the 2nd most rushing yards on the season

If your 3rd prediction happens that probably means the end of my Hart prediction. That is unless Jonah doesn't turn out how we all hope he does. I feel Jonah is the elephant in the room. We have no real idea how he's going to play against NFL talent. At least with Hart we know what we have and can game plan around his (lack of) abilities.

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - fredtoast - 08-10-2020

1. Mixon breaks Bengals single season rushing record.  Rudi Johnson averaged 91.1 yards per game to set the record (1458) in 2005.  Mixon averaged 102.1 over the second half of last season and I believe the O-line will be better this year.

2. Pratt finished top 10 in the league in tackles.  Pratt's playing time increased steadily over the 2019 season until over the last 4 games he was playing 70% of the snaps.  Pratt had 34 tackles over those final 4 games.  I know it is a small sample size, but projected over a full season his 136 tackles would have ranked 9th in the league.  And, to be honest, with Vigil gone I look for Pratt to play well over 70% of the snaps this year.  I really like the guys we drafted, but I don't expect middle round picks to step in play at a top level immediately as rookies.

3.  Drew Sample will have more receiving yards than any Bengal TE in 5 years.  Not as incredible as it first sounds when you realize he only has to get to 440 yards.  Eifert is gone and I see pictures of Sample working out with Burrow.  I think they are building a chemistry.  And a rookie QB playing behind a sketchy O-line will be looking for his TE a lot.

4.  Our defensive backs will have 5+ sacks.  Over the last two season our DBs have combined for just 3 sacks (2 by Shawn Williams, 1 by DreKirk), but both Vonn Bell and MacKensie Alexander have seasons with 4+ sacks.  I see us using lot of sets with 3 Safeties on the filed at the same time and also using "run blitzes" that can lead to sacks on first and second down.

5.  Bengals win Super Bowl.  Why the **** not?

(08-10-2020, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s only been here 2 years, and the first he was absolutely awful.Slightly improving from that is really not that impressive.

No he does not suck.  You are a perfect example of the people who love to make Hart a whipping boy.  You judge him by 2018 and ignore how much he improved in 2019

In 2019 Bobby Hart played 92 more snaps than he did in 2018 (1086 to 994), but even more important the Bengals had 85 more passing plays (attempts + sacks) than 2018 (664 to 579).  Yet Hart only allowed about a third as many sacks in 2019 as 2018 (4 to 11.5) and he cut his penalties in half (12 to 6).  Only 2 of Harts 6 penalties were holding.

There were 64 players that started at least 8 games as an OT last year and played at least 500 snaps.  If you look at snaps per (sacks allowed + holding penalties) Hart ranked 13th among those 64.  He also ranked 25th in sacks per snap. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/2/18/21142328/2019-offensive-line-pass-blocking-review 

(08-10-2020, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No he does not suck.  You are a perfect example of the people who love to make Hart a whipping boy.  You judge him by 2018 and ignore how much he improved in 2019

In 2019 Bobby Hart played 92 more snaps than he did in 2018 (1086 to 994), but even more important the Bengals had 85 more passing plays (attempts + sacks) than 2018 (664 to 579).  Yet Hart only allowed about a third as many sacks in 2019 as 2018 (4 to 11.5) and he cut his penalties in half (12 to 6).  Only 2 of Harts 6 penalties were holding.

There were 64 players that started at least 8 games as an OT last year and played at least 500 snaps.  If you look at snaps per (sacks allowed + holding penalties) Hart ranked 13th among those 64.  He also ranked 25th in sacks per snap. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/2/18/21142328/2019-offensive-line-pass-blocking-review 

He absolutely does suck. And if you can find 10 people on this planet that disagree I’ll eat my hat. Improving from horrendous to just pretty bad doesn’t = good. He’s not a starting caliber OT on an even halfway decent team.

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - bfine32 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 11:23 AM)Mer Wrote: If your 3rd prediction happens that probably means the end of my Hart prediction. That is unless Jonah doesn't turn out how we all hope he does. I feel Jonah is the elephant in the room. We have no real idea how he's going to play against NFL talent. At least with Hart we know what we have and can game plan around his (lack of) abilities.

Another thing Jonah has going against him is 0 game condition snaps. I fear he's going to get beat often, early. He had to overcome the short arms in college; he'll have to do it again in the pros. We could give him the Whitworth treatment if he struggles too much on the exterior.  

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - 3wt - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 1. Mixon breaks Bengals single season rushing record.  Rudi Johnson averaged 91.1 yards per game to set the record (1458) in 2005.  Mixon averaged 102.1 over the second half of last season and I believe the O-line will be better this year.

2. Pratt finished top 10 in the league in tackles.  Pratt's playing time increased steadily over the 2019 season until over the last 4 games he was playing 70% of the snaps.  Pratt had 34 tackles over those final 4 games.  I know it is a small sample size, but projected over a full season his 136 tackles would have ranked 9th in the league.  And, to be honest, with Vigil gone I look for Pratt to play well over 70% of the snaps this year.  I really like the guys we drafted, but I don't expect middle round picks to step in play at a top level immediately as rookies.

3.  Drew Sample will have more receiving yards than any Bengal TE in 5 years.  Not as incredible as it first sounds when you realize he only has to get to 440 yards.  Eifert is gone and I see pictures of Sample working out with Burrow.  I think they are building a chemistry.  And a rookie QB playing behind a sketchy O-line will be looking for his TE a lot.

4.  Our defensive backs will have 5+ sacks.  Over the last two season our DBs have combined for just 3 sacks (2 by Shawn Williams, 1 by DreKirk), but both Vonn Bell and MacKensie Alexander have seasons with 4+ sacks.  I see us using lot of sets with 3 Safeties on the filed at the same time and also using "run blitzes" that can lead to sacks on first and second down.

5.  Bengals win Super Bowl.  Why the **** not?

I'm loving this thread.  And a lot of these are bold but not unrealistic.   I am SO hoping the virus doesn't run rampant or take any players significantly down.

As for 5...   REP.    Go big or go home!

(08-10-2020, 11:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He absolutely does suck. And if you can find 10 people on this planet that disagree I’ll eat my hat. Improving from horrendous to just pretty bad doesn’t = good. He’s not a starting caliber OT on an even halfway decent team.

Yawn

Not really impressed by the "It is true because it is my opinion" argument.  That is the same logic that was used around here to prove "Peko sucks!", "Whitworth needs to move back to OG because he can't handle speed rushers.", "Leon Hall is too slow to play CB.", "Andre Smith is a complete bust.", "Justin Smith would not even start on most other NFL teams." etc., etc.

(08-10-2020, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yawn

Not really impressed by the "It is true because it is my opinion" argument.  That is the same logic that was used around here to prove "Peko sucks!", "Whitworth needs to move back to OG because he can't handle speed rushers.", "Leon Hall is too slow to play CB.", "Andre Smith is a complete bust.", "Justin Smith would not even start on most other NFL teams." etc., etc.

People that judge players for a living agree that he sucks. His PFF grades are terrible (shit on them all you want they’re watching the OL closer than the average fan), and there wouldn’t be an open competition at RT if he was as good as you’re claiming.

And for the record, I never agreed with any of those hot takes you listed.

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - J24 - 08-10-2020

1.) Defense will lead the league in sacks
2.) Burrow will throw for over 30 TDs
3.) Bengals will have 8 pro bowlers- Atkins, Lawson, Dunlap,Bates, Mixon, Green, Burrow, Boyd
4.) Bengals make it to the AFC Championship
5.) AJ Green will have 1200 yards and 12 TDs

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - SHRacerX - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 09:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ will play all 16 games...

Ok, but if he does, I will say it isn't that bold to say that the Bengals will be in the postseason.  I'm counting on him and Ross staying healthy.  

RE: OUR 5 Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season - SHRacerX - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 11:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Trayvon Williams will have the 2nd most rushing yards on the season

#2 in the NFL?