Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Entertainment (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Entertainment)
+--- Thread: Your Favorite Medieval Movie (/Thread-Your-Favorite-Medieval-Movie)

Pages: 1 2

Your Favorite Medieval Movie - bfine32 - 08-23-2020

I love the genre and cannot get enough. I what all the series and most of the Movies so I ask what are some of your favorites in the Genre.

If I had to pick personal favorite it would be The 13th Warrior.

Also big fan of:

A Knight's Tale

Excalibur

King Arthur. The Clive Owen one. As a huge SOA fan I could wait for the one with Charlie, but found it lacking

Robin Hood- The Kevin Costner one.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Nicomo Cosca - 08-23-2020

Braveheart is not very historically accurate, but damn do I love it. The battles, William Wallace and his crew...Longshanks was such an effective villain, too.

Kingdom of Heaven is another one of my favorites, but you have to watch the director’s cut. The theatrical version is a mess. One of the worst butcher jobs I’ve ever seen by a studio. The DC otoh is one of Ridley Scott’s best movies, imo. And you’re talking about a guy that made Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, etc.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Nicomo Cosca - 08-23-2020

13th Warrior actually has one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever. Gives me the chills every time.

https://youtu.be/qQekqWha7fg

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Tiger Teeth - 08-24-2020

King Arthur - The one bfine mentions.
13th Warrior - Banderas was awesome.
Braveheart - One of my top 3 movies.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - fredtoast - 08-26-2020

The Name of the Rose.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - michaelsean - 08-28-2020

I read a ton of books from the time, but I can never find a decent movie. Braveheart was great if historically wrong. I watched "Hal" on Netflix, and that was just awful all around.

There is a movie coming out based on the first book of The Bernicia Chronicles called The Serpent Sword. You are looking at very early Darkd Ages. 7th century. The trailer doesn't give me a lot of hope.

For TV shows, I thought Vikings was good for a while and then I lost interest. The Last Kingdom on Netflix is good, although I think the lead was horribly cast. It's based on The Saxon Tales. The time of Alfred and right after him.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - KillerGoose - 08-28-2020

I would have to say Braveheart, personally. The scene where he Is riding up to the camp where they have taken his wife is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. These other two movies aren’t medieval movies, but you get a similar feel from them. I loved Gladiator and Troy.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Nicomo Cosca - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 09:54 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I read a ton of books from the time, but I can never find a decent movie. Braveheart was great if historically wrong. I watched "Hal" on Netflix, and that was just awful all around.

There is a movie coming out based on the first book of The Bernicia Chronicles called The Serpent Sword. You are looking at very early Darkd Ages. 7th century. The trailer doesn't give me a lot of hope.

For TV shows, I thought Vikings was good for a while and then I lost interest. The Last Kingdom on Netflix is good, although I think the lead was horribly cast. It's based on The Saxon Tales. The time of Alfred and right after him.

Vikings was really good for the first couple seasons, but then it pretty much fell off a cliff. Once Travis Fimmel wasn’t around to carry the show anymore I bailed.

I love The Last Kingdom, and don’t really mind Alexander Dreymon. My brother who reads the books has told me Uthred is supposed to be much different physically (I guess he’s supposed to be huge?), but oh well. David Dawson was great as Alfred. I highly recommend this one.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - michaelsean - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Vikings was really good for the first couple seasons, but then it pretty much fell off a cliff. Once Travis Fimmel wasn’t around to carry the show anymore I bailed.

I love The Last Kingdom, and don’t really mind Alexander Dreymon. My brother who reads the books has told me Uthred is supposed to be much different physically (I guess he’s supposed to be huge?), but oh well. David Dawson was great as Alfred. I highly recommend this one.

Yeah it was kind of like casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.  Uhtred is much larger, and that voice.  He's a good actor I suppose, and I've gotten used to him, so I enjoy the show.  

Agree on Vikings.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Bengalzona - 08-28-2020

(08-26-2020, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Name of the Rose.

Awesome movie! Sean Connery and Ron Perlman were great.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Bengalzona - 08-28-2020

"Norsemen" on Netflix

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Goalpost - 08-28-2020

The Last Samurai

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - michaelsean - 08-31-2020

(08-28-2020, 12:14 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: "Norsemen" on Netflix

I read they film it twice.  Once in their language (Norwegian maybe?) and once in English.  

Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Storer50 - 08-31-2020

I like all of the movies mentioned.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Synric - 08-31-2020

The Physician is a great medieval movie but isn't the typical hack and slash type.

Knightfall is alright too.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - BengalHawk62 - 08-31-2020

Young Frankenstein

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-31-2020

Kingdom of Heaven with Orlando Bloom and Liam Neeson is great.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - bengalfan74 - 08-31-2020

(08-23-2020, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I love the genre and cannot get enough. I what all the series and most of the Movies so I ask what are some of your favorites in the Genre.

If I had to pick personal favorite it would be The 13th Warrior.

Also big fan of:

A Knight's Tale

Excalibur

King Arthur. The Clive Owen one. As a huge SOA fan I could wait for the one with Charlie, but found it lacking

Robin Hood- The Kevin Costner one.

The 13th warrior is a very good one,

(08-28-2020, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Vikings was really good for the first couple seasons, but then it pretty much fell off a cliff. Once Travis Fimmel wasn’t around to carry the show anymore I bailed.

Yup, last couple seasons of Viking sucked.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-02-2020

(08-28-2020, 01:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The Last Samurai

Another great one, probably Cruise's best acting of his career.

(08-31-2020, 10:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The 13th warrior is a very good one,

Yup, last couple seasons of Viking sucked.

Yes I have The 13th Warrior, very good movie and also underrated like Kingdom of Heaven. Antonio is very good in 13th....

Agreed on the last couple of seasons of Vikings, just have to throw that weird shit in there, don't they...

But Fimmel was amazing in Vikings. Especially the early seasons.

RE: Your Favorite Medieval Movie - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-02-2020

(08-24-2020, 09:43 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: King Arthur - The one bfine mentions.
13th Warrior - Banderas was awesome.
Braveheart - One of my top 3 movies.

You have great taste Tiger Teeth. Cool