Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut (/Thread-Burrow-Less-than-Stellar-in-debut)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Luvnit2 - 09-14-2020

Well, Burrow had a poor start, but in his defense he is playing behind an OL almost as bad as the one Dalton played under hos last 3 years
here.

193 5.4 36 23 0.639 0 1 66.1 14 0.389 0 0 19 3 20

His QBR was 3rd worst in the NFL of the 32 QB's at 66.1

He missed a wide open Green (not under any pressure) which was a huge miss and loss of momentum and confidence builder for the offense. The good news is after he had a horrid interception costing us a likely tie at a minimum, he took us down and almost had a game winner albeit not for a questionable call against AJ. Not because AJ was guilty of PI, but because Mike Williams did it all day long and was never called for it.

Burrow gave himself a D and I agree, if he plays to a C we are 1-0 right now most likely, but on to play the Browns defense that was shredded by the Ravens and Jackson. Let's hope Burrow gets better each week and we get the 1st win of 2020 Thursday.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - The Clapp - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 11:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, Burrow had a poor start, but in his defense he is playing behind an OL almost as bad as the one Dalton played under hos last 3 years
here.

193 5.4 36 23 0.639 0 1 66.1 14 0.389 0 0 19 3 20

His QBR was 3rd worst in the NFL of the 32 QB's at 66.1

He missed a wide open Green (not under any pressure) which was a huge miss and loss of momentum and confidence builder for the offense. The good news is after he had a horrid interception costing us a likely tie at a minimum, he took us down and almost had a game winner albeit not for a questionable call against AJ. Not because AJ was guilty of PI, but because Mike Williams did it all day long and was never called for it.

Burrow gave himself a D and I agree, if he plays to a C we are 1-0 right now most likely, but on to play the Browns defense that was shredded by the Ravens and Jackson. Let's hope Burrow gets better each week and we get the 1st win of 2020 Thursday.

Are you talking about the throw to AJ in the endzone that he dropped? because if you are, AJ stepped out before he touched it....

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Nicomo Cosca - 09-14-2020

He scored our only TD on a play he audibled into himself, and drove us down the field at the end of the game with no timeouts. Putting a letter grade on QB play seems a bit odd to me, but I don’t think he gets a “D” if AJ doesn’t push off and we win the game.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 11:35 AM)The Clapp Wrote: Are you talking about the throw to AJ in the endzone that he dropped? because if you are, AJ stepped out before he touched it....

Nah, the one where AJ was wide open and Joe just overthrew it would be my guess.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - PhilHos - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 11:35 AM)The Clapp Wrote: Are you talking about the throw to AJ in the endzone that he dropped? because if you are, AJ stepped out before he touched it....

I think he was talking about the one that was down th emiddle that he overthrew. It was right after the one to Ross that was on Ross' fingertips.

(09-14-2020, 11:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He scored our only TD on a play he audibled into himself, and drove us down the field at the end of the game with no timeouts. Putting a letter grade on QB play seems a bit odd to me, but I don’t think he gets a “D” if AJ doesn’t push off and we win the game.

I read it as Joe gave himself that grade. If that's right, then that's good to hear from the QB, because he played better than a D all things considered.

(09-14-2020, 11:37 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nah, the one where AJ was wide open and Joe just overthrew it would be my guess.

That one, and the shovel pass that Ingram picked off are probably the plays that kept him up last night. He’ll get his timing with AJ down though, and I would hope Taylor chewed his ass out for the Int.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - GreenCornBengal - 09-14-2020

Joe said he overthrew Ross just so everyone is aware of how Joe feels about that play.

(09-14-2020, 11:38 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I read it as Joe gave himself that grade. If that's right, then that's good to hear from the QB, because he played better than a D all things considered.

He definitely put it on himself. He said a “high school QB” could have made the throw to AJ in the EZ. I think he’s being a little too harsh on himself though. Some rookies would have panicked under all that pressure in the first half and turned it over a bunch of times. He was far from perfect, but we led most of the game, and were one play away from winning (or at least OT).

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Nately120 - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 11:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Joe said he overthrew Ross just so everyone is aware of how Joe feels about that play.

Ida know...are we sure Burrow isn't just pulling a "niceguy Dalton" on Ross?  I guess we will see Thursday how the Burrow/Ross connection goes.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Schmitbuck - 09-14-2020

Less than stellar, yes, but there were certainly some positives to take away of his play. There's plenty of blame to go around. And fortunately, this is likely the best DE combo he'll see this year.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Brownshoe - 09-14-2020

I don't think that we should be giving too much grief to Burrow. I think he did a fine job out there yesterday considering how bad the OL and coaching was. Imagine having 1 or 2 more TO's in the final minutes of the game. We could have def scored. Being out of sync with Green isn't that big of a deal either, considering Green didn't practice since he was injured, and there was no pre-season.

Burrow will get better as time goes on. I was worried about the Chargers game because they have one of the best pass rushers in the game, and we have one of the worst OLs in the game. I feel much better against the Browns this coming Thursday, honestly.

I would give Burrow a C for his performance. Having a slow start, almost lost a fumble, horrible INT, and some missed points brought it down to a C to me. He showed flashes of how good he can be, and that's good enough for me right now since he's a rookie. You can't demand a HoF performance from him right away.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - GreenCornBengal - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 11:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...are we sure Burrow isn't just pulling a "niceguy Dalton" on Ross?  I guess we will see Thursday how the Burrow/Ross connection goes.

I don’t believe he was asked about it, just brought it up when talking about his performance. Tells me that what Joe said was genuine.

Also, is it so hard to believe that taking the tinyest bit off that throw has Ross catching it?

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Bilbo Saggins - 09-14-2020

Minus the pick I think that he did at least OK considering the circumstances. Bosa was an absolute terror. There was pressure coming from every which way for most of the game. He took some calculated shots that didn't allow for any chance of an interception. During the last drive he came alive a bit and was fitting the ball into some tight windows. His TD run play showed some moxy.

I came away with the impression that he's still very much a work in progress, but believe that he can become a really good player so long as he doesn't get pounded every game. If he takes hits like that every game, he might end up with Jim McMahon type injury problems. 

(09-14-2020, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That one, and the shovel pass that Ingram picked off are probably the plays that kept him up last night. He’ll get his timing with AJ down though, and I would hope Taylor chewed his ass out for the Int.

No doubt....but those are just rookie mistakes.... especially the INT. He was just trying to make too much happen there. He didn't get rattled, and that's key. 

(09-14-2020, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He definitely put it on himself. He said a “high school QB” could have made the throw to AJ in the EZ. I think he’s being a little too harsh on himself though. Some rookies would have panicked under all that pressure in the first half and turned it over a bunch of times. He was far from perfect, but we led most of the game, and were one play away from winning (or at least OT).

Yes, but you gotta like hearing that from a guy coming off his first start. I don't think he's a guy that will let things get in his head. Hell, he bounced right back in the same game. He was harassed early and often. It's almost as if he wasn't used to having time to throw and let the adrenaline get the best of him on that missed TD.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Au165 - 09-14-2020

(09-14-2020, 11:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Joe said he overthrew Ross just so everyone is aware of how Joe feels about that play.

Joe said a lot of things to put it back on himself as a good leader does, but it touched Ross's finger tip which in the NFL means you need to make that play or make a better effort to make that play, especially when it was in front of you.

RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - ochocincos - 09-14-2020

Every rookie QB, even if drafted 1st overall, is going to take some time to acclimate. It's the most demanding position on the field.
In my eyes, this is a development year for not just Burrow but the team as a whole.
If they end up with more than 6 wins, that's above expectations in my eyes.

Someone needs to force Taylor to hire a legit OC instead of thinking he can call plays and be HC at the same time. Or let Callahan call plays. It's too much for him, at least so far.

(09-14-2020, 11:53 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: No doubt....but those are just rookie mistakes.... especially the INT. He was just trying to make too much happen there. He didn't get rattled, and that's key. 

Yes, but you gotta like hearing that from a guy coming off his first start. I don't think he's a guy that will let things get in his head. Hell, he bounced right back in the same game. He was harassed early and often. It's almost as if he wasn't used to having time to throw and let the adrenaline get the best of him on that missed TD.

It’s probably not a coincidence that the two guys he worked with the least in camp (AJ & Ross) were the ones he was a little out of sync with. He has to get their speed and timing down.

I’m a surprised we didn’t see Boyd involved more, since they probably have a little better chemistry at this point. On the positive side AJ could have had a 2 TD game. Which would have been pretty impressive after all that time off, and no real action in camp.

(09-14-2020, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Every rookie QB, even if drafted 1st overall, is going to take some time to acclimate. It's the most demanding position on the field.
In my eyes, this is a development year for not just Burrow but the team as a whole.
If they end up with more than 6 wins, that's above expectations in my eyes.

Someone needs to force Taylor to hire a legit OC instead of thinking he can call plays and be HC at the same time. Or let Callahan call plays. It's too much for him, at least so far.

I predicted 7 wins before the season, but I also thought yesterday would be one of them...

(09-14-2020, 12:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s probably not a coincidence that the two guys he worked with the least in camp (AJ & Ross) were the ones he was a little out of sync with. He has to get their speed and timing down.

I’m a surprised we didn’t see Boyd involved more, since they probably have a little better chemistry at this point. On the positive side AJ could have had a 2 TD game. Which would have been pretty impressive after all that time off, and no real action in camp.

That's true as well. AJ looked pretty good out there, got a little rust to shake off, but overall he was almost AJ again. I was surprised Boyd wasn't involved very much also. Hey, it was the kid's first ever live NFL action. All in all, it wasn't too bad. Just sucks to lose one like that.