Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Drew Sample - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Drew Sample (/Thread-Drew-Sample--24913)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Drew Sample - McC - 09-19-2020

Anybody willing to say the kid just might have game, that maybe he wasn't the worst pick in the history of the world after all?

RE: Drew Sample - Whatever - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Anybody willing to say the kid just might have game, that maybe he wasn't the worst pick in the history of the world after all?

TE's rarely set the world on fire as rookies.  Most of your inline TE's also need a year in the weight room to be truly effective blockers.  The people that wrote him off after one year are just too impatient.

RE: Drew Sample - TheLeonardLeap - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Anybody willing to say the kid just might have game, that maybe he wasn't the worst pick in the history of the world after all?

Nope.

Gonna need him to show it during a game that actually matters, not while catching 6 yard passes in the middle of the field while down by multiple scores with minutes to go in the 4th quarter and zero timeouts. Defenses will give that to you all day long.

This thread smells an awful lot like the "who wants to eat crow about Ross" threads last year after Week 1. Lol

Drew Sample - The D.O.Z. - 09-19-2020

I had him as my "forgotten guy" in a thread posted awhile back. That slick one-handed grab on Thursday night had me pumped!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RE: Drew Sample - McC - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 05:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope.

Gonna need him to show it during a game that actually matters, not while catching 6 yard passes in the middle of the field while down by multiple scores with minutes to go in the 4th quarter and zero timeouts. Defenses will give that to you all day long.

Okay.  Fair enough.  I'll get back to you later in the season.  Don't forget, there was a guy in front of him that Burrow seemed to favor until he went down.  We'll see what he does from now on.

RE: Drew Sample - TheLeonardLeap - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 05:10 PM)McC Wrote: Okay.  Fair enough.  I'll get back to you later in the season.  Don't forget, there was a guy in front of him that Burrow seemed to favor until he went down.  We'll see what he does from now on.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I would love for Sample to turn out to be a great TE. I would also love for Ross, Hart, etc to all become great players for the Bengals. I just don't have faith that it'll actually happen. Sample has a bit more unknown possibility than the other two, though, so we'll see.

RE: Drew Sample - SHRacerX - 09-19-2020

He sure made a hell of a one-handed catch, hauled in just about everything thrown at him (7 of 8 targets) and blocked well.  We are going to see a lot more of him now that Uzo is out.  I love that the kid worked his ass off in the offseason after a disappointing start to his career.

RE: Drew Sample - Nicomo Cosca - 09-19-2020

He’s never going to be a big play guy, but at least he has good hands to go along with his blocking. I liked what I saw in game 2.

Still took him much too early, but that’s water under the bridge. Hope he can stay healthy because we have a bunch of scrubs behind him.

RE: Drew Sample - Big_Ern - 09-19-2020

He's looking much better and Joe loves tight ends. Could turn into a great player.

RE: Drew Sample - impactplaya - 09-19-2020

Sample is a work in progress. He really caught some basic routes that 8th graders can master.
The Browns were giving him space to catch and get tackled. Eat up the clock.
Uzomah was the same raw prospect his 1st 2 years.
But since Sample is starting sooner than later he needs to learn out leverage defenders
Find soft openings and get upfield. Him running 5 yd flats is hardly stressing the defense

RE: Drew Sample - Whatever - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 06:21 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Sample is a work in progress. He really caught some basic routes that 8th graders can master.
The Browns were giving him space to catch and get tackled. Eat up the clock.
Uzomah was the same raw prospect his 1st 2 years.  
But since Sample is starting sooner than later he needs to learn out leverage defenders
Find soft openings and get upfield. Him running 5 yd flats is hardly stressing the defense

We'll have to see how he's used going forward.  A lot of the routes he ran were the typical check down/security blanket type stuff you normally see coaches give young QB's.  

RE: Drew Sample - Wes Mantooth - 09-19-2020

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Can some of you guys here pump the brakes a bit?

The dude had 45 yards in a game where we threw the ball 61 times.

I'm glad he finally got involved. I really am. I'm honest to God not trying to be negative or to not give this kid had a chance. But let's be realistic here, guys.

Can this dude end up being a decent pick? Sure. Have we seen enough where we can start to reevaluate where many have stood on him up until this point? Absolutely not.

The guy now has 73 total yards receiving in a full year + 2 games.

On 8 targets, and 7 catches, he still didn't break 50 yards. A 6.4 YPR is not a sign of being a great weapon down the field. It's dink and dunk, and check downs.

The one handed grab was nice. It's good to see he has some hands. The bigger question is can he get open down the field and can he be a true weapon in the pass game. We're going to have to wait and see.

I would love nothing more than this dude to end up with 600+ yards and a number of TD's on the year. That wouuld be awesome. But I'm sorry I just can't now buy into the idea that he was a good pick because of 45 yards and a pretty catch.

He's going to need to do a lot more to live up to his draft position.

RE: Drew Sample - Essex Johnson - 09-19-2020

Looking good after two games.. had some solid blocks and catches... much better than 4 year Ross is looking

RE: Drew Sample - Murdock2420 - 09-19-2020

Was the pick a waste? No

Was the pick a reach? Still yes.

RE: Drew Sample - TheBengalsMind - 09-19-2020

To me it wasn't that he was a bad pick, but it's when we picked him. When you pick a player that high, you expect some form of immediate impact.

If you could've picked him in the 4th or 5th, without anyone taking him, why not do that?

I think everybody would of loved him at that point.

I'm all for him proving everybody wrong though and hope he does do good.

The better he is, the better we are.

RE: Drew Sample - bengalfan74 - 09-19-2020

I'll say it. I was never a member of the he sucks bad crowd.

RE: Drew Sample - Joelist - 09-19-2020

Drew has done good both games. Game one while not used a lot when he was in he won his blocks including two of Bosa. Against the Stains again he blocked very well and also got into the passing game effectively.

RE: Drew Sample - McC - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 08:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll say it. I was never a member of the he sucks bad crowd.

And that was a pretty big crowd.  They are also in the Rome was built in a day crowd.

RE: Drew Sample - Synric - 09-19-2020

Through two games in his sophomore year Drew Sample has shown me excellent blocking, great hands, and a little bit of body control/athleticism. He is a player people should keep their eyes on.

RE: Drew Sample - jason - 09-19-2020

(09-19-2020, 06:35 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Whoa, whoa, whoa... Can some of you guys here pump the brakes a bit?

The dude had 45 yards in a game where we threw the ball 61 times.

I'm glad he finally got involved. I really am. I'm honest to God not trying to be negative or to not give this kid had a chance. But let's be realistic here, guys.

Can this dude end up being a decent pick? Sure. Have we seen enough where we can start to reevaluate where many have stood on him up until this point? Absolutely not.

The guy now has 73 total yards receiving in a full year + 2 games.

On 8 targets, and 7 catches, he still didn't break 50 yards. A 6.4 YPR is not a sign of being a great weapon down the field. It's dink and dunk, and check downs.

The one handed grab was nice. It's good to see he has some hands. The bigger question is can he get open down the field and can he be a true weapon in the pass game. We're going to have to wait and see.

I would love nothing more than this dude to end up with 600+ yards and a number of TD's on the year. That wouuld be awesome. But I'm sorry I just can't now buy into the idea that he was a good pick because of 45 yards and a pretty catch.

He's going to need to do a lot more to live up to his draft position.

Well those are pretty much the numbers that TEs not named Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, and Ertz put up. I don't think he'll be great either, and I sure as hell would've rather taken DK Metcalf with that pick, but he's our guy, and that was his best performance so far. At this point we need every positive we can get.