Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Margus Hunt - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Margus Hunt (/Thread-Margus-Hunt--25296)

Pages: 1 2

Margus Hunt - pally - 10-16-2020

Former Bengal Margus Hunt, cut by the Saints on Monday, paid a visit to Cincinnati for a tryout. What is old is old again. He is at least in football shape which is more than Peko would be

RE: Marcus Hunt - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 10-16-2020

Now we have a half decent defense that might be able to force the opposition into attempting field goals once in a while it's worth trying to re-sign the Eastern Block.

RE: Margus Hunt - Sled21 - 10-16-2020

(10-16-2020, 01:28 AM)pally Wrote: Former Bengal Margus Hunt, cut by the Saints on Monday, paid a visit to Cincinnati for a tryout.  What is old is old again.  He is at least in football shape which is more than Peko would be

Peko is reportedly in great shape, and reportedly several teams have already tried to sign him, but evidently didn't offer enough to entice him out of retirement (Doesn't say if the Bengals offered) . Not sure where you got that tidbit. As for Hunt, he has more experience now, which is what he lacked. Might be worth giving him a shot.

RE: Margus Hunt - Rubekahn29 - 10-16-2020

We could use both. Peko for his leadership and Hunt for his possible ability to tip passes.

RE: Margus Hunt - pally - 10-16-2020

(10-16-2020, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Peko is reportedly in great shape. Not sure where you got that tidbit. As for Hunt, he has more experience now, which is what he lacked. Might be worth giving him a shot.

Being in great physical shape and being in football shape are not always synonymous.

(10-16-2020, 08:31 AM)pally Wrote: Being in great physical shape and being in football shape are not always synonymous.

I'd venture to guess he could come in off the street and play 50% of snaps with zero problems. It's a moot point though, evidently he has a number in mind to draw him out of retirement, and no one has met it.

RE: Margus Hunt - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-16-2020

Geno Atkins has always been one of my favorite players so it pains me to write this. He does not look like himself out there. He might be fast when the ball is snapped but he can’t chase anybody down like he used to. Working out Margus Hunt and possibly working out Domata Peko might be good ideas because with Geno not playing at full bore and with DJ Reader out, the interior of the defensive line needs help.

RE: Margus Hunt - TheLeonardLeap - 10-16-2020

33-year-old in his 8th year in the NFL with 7.5 career sacks (2 of them in 1 game against the Bengals Hart/Redmond) and 0 sacks in his last 23 games.

That's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's breaking through the bottom of the barrel and digging in the dirt beneath it.

(10-16-2020, 09:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 33-year-old in his 8th year in the NFL with 7.5 career sacks (2 of them in 1 game against the Bengals Hart/Redmond) and 0 sacks in his last 23 games.

That's not scraping the bottom of the barrel, that's breaking through the bottom of the barrel and digging in the dirt beneath it.

We lined Hunt up at DE, and he only really had one move, the bull rush. If he can just do that one thing from the DT position and push the pocket back then Dunlap and Lawson may be able to get home.

RE: Margus Hunt - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-16-2020

Normally I would be against bringing in another retread like Margus Hunt but don’t forget Sam Hubbard is on IR. Hunt is a credible defensive end who probably improved his technique away from Cincinnati. He’s not quick like Hubbard but he can make the occasional big play.

RE: Margus Hunt - ezekiel23 - 10-16-2020

Peko yes.Hunt no.Although there is a good chance Hunt gets signed,rather than Peko,as the Bengals have already brought him in for a workout according to NFL network.

RE: Margus Hunt - NATI BENGALS - 10-16-2020

Saints D has been underperforming... So they cut some dead weight...

RE: Margus Hunt - fredtoast - 10-16-2020

Hunt is a 3-4 DE that fit better with the Colts than he did here.

But even then he only had one decent season (2018, 5 sacks, 13 TFL).

If he had never played here I doubt any of us would even recognize his name.

RE: Margus Hunt - fredtoast - 10-16-2020

(10-16-2020, 09:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 33-year-old in his 8th year in the NFL with 7.5 career sacks (2 of them in 1 game against the Bengals Hart/Redmond) and 0 sacks in his last 23 games.

He has had some limited success in the NFL.

Not saying he is a good player, but you have to look at this with some perspective.  There are NO good D-linemen out of jobs right now.

(10-16-2020, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He has had some limited success in the NFL.

Not saying he is a good player, but you have to look at this with some perspective.  There are NO good D-linemen out of jobs right now.

Right, in a normal year I doubt anyone would entertain the thought of bringing him back. But with the devastation to our D-line, and the lack of potential replacements, he may well be the best to be had. Put him in at DT and let him bull rush and push the pocket.

RE: Margus Hunt - TheLeonardLeap - 10-16-2020

(10-16-2020, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He has had some limited success in the NFL.

Fair enough. I suppose there were a lot of DL who opted out, and then add no training camps or preseason to let injuries happen and it is probably slim pickings. 

I just can't help but think that a young PS/UDFA guy is worth more of a shot than Margus Hunt. You know that Hunt will be disappointing. There at least is an ever-so-small chance that the PS/UDFA guy surprises you.

RE: Margus Hunt - Geno_Can_Dunk - 10-16-2020

Peko "reportedly" being in great shape means his agent says he's in great shape. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

With Hubbard on IR and a bunch of good running teams on our schedule, we need another body to stop the run. If you think Hunt would be coming in here to get sacks, of course you'd see it as a bad move. But he can still knock some heads and play the run - I think it would be an ok signing, given the slim pickings out there.

RE: Margus Hunt - J24 - 10-16-2020

Dude was a waste of a roster spot for 4 years year.

(10-16-2020, 12:52 PM)J24 Wrote: Dude was a waste of a roster spot for 4 years year.

He's good enough that he's still in the league. Most players don't last 3-4 years. Like I said, he's probably the best choice out there given the times.

RE: Margus Hunt - Shake n Blake - 10-16-2020

Give me 35 year old Peko over 33 year old Hunt. (Crazy that they're even close in age)

Plus it'd be nice to see Peko retire as a Bengal.