Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? (/Thread-Do-Your-Religious-Beliefs-Impact-Your-Decision-Making)

Pages: 1 2

Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - NATI BENGALS - 10-27-2020

For some reason I keep having this question pop into my head. Just wondering from those who are actually religious how they felt.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - GMDino - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 08:40 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: For some reason I keep having this question pop into my head. Just wondering from those who are actually religious how they felt.

Having a hard time answering just yes or no.

The answer is probably just yes because sometimes it does...but it is not always a conscious decision.  Sometimes it just that good old fashioned Catholic guilt rearing its ugly head more than the desire to follow the teachings I had when I was growing up.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Belsnickel - 10-27-2020

I voted yes. Your personal morals will always guide your decision making, and religion is one thing that can shape your morality. It's not the only thing, but if you grew up in a religion and/or are currently in one, it shaped your morals whether you know it or not. I know for certain that my experiences within one of the historical peace churches shaped many of my morals, but at the same time there are many things they believe in that I do not adhere to. The same is true of my current (albeit loose) affiliation with the ELCA and even some of my Druidic practicing during my teens and twenties.

This isn't the same, though, as saying that I base decisions on my religious beliefs, but those religious beliefs have shaped my morals and values over the years.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Big Boss - 10-27-2020

Nope. Firm believer in separation of church and state, and this country's freedom of religion. It has no place in policy-making.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - bfine32 - 10-27-2020

My religious beliefs play a role in everything I do. Every time I make a tough decision I pray i made the wise one.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - NATI BENGALS - 10-27-2020

I'm agnostic. I don't know and neither does anyone else. But the possibility of being stuck in hell like homer simpson being stuffed with donuts makes me do the right thing more often than not

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - PhilHos - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 09:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I voted yes. Your personal morals will always guide your decision making, and religion is one thing that can shape your morality. It's not the only thing, but if you grew up in a religion and/or are currently in one, it shaped your morals whether you know it or not. I know for certain that my experiences within one of the historical peace churches shaped many of my morals, but at the same time there are many things they believe in that I do not adhere to. The same is true of my current (albeit loose) affiliation with the ELCA and even some of my Druidic practicing during my teens and twenties.

This isn't the same, though, as saying that I base decisions on my religious beliefs, but those religious beliefs have shaped my morals and values over the years.

Pretty much what Matt said. 

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - BmorePat87 - 10-27-2020

I'm guided by personal morality unassociated with a religion. If I were religious and felt my moral code was influenced by it, I would have said yes, even if I was not guided by specific doctrine.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Nately120 - 10-27-2020

(10-27-2020, 10:28 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I'm agnostic. I don't know and neither does anyone else. But the possibility of being stuck in hell like homer simpson being stuffed with donuts makes me do the right thing more often than not

Much like homer I'm agnostic in the sense that if I picked the wrong God to believe in then im just making the real god madder at me.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - fredtoast - 10-27-2020

If anyone has religious beliefs those will probably influence their decision making.  But people have to realize that we can't have a free country with laws based on religious beliefs.  They have to be able to understand the difference between "freedom to worship" and "control the laws".

The single reason there is no peace in the Middle East is that they have so many Theocracies where the politics of the countries are controlled by religious beliefs.  Religious beliefs leave no room for compromise or recognition of the rights/authority of people with different religious beliefs.  No amount of bombs, sanctions, diplomacy, boycotts, etc will ever lead to peace in the middle east until they start separating their religious beliefs from their political decisions.

Even here in the United States a lot of Christians see treating all different religious and non-religious belief systems equally as discrimination against them.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - NATI BENGALS - 10-28-2020

Stunned there is a 50/50 split here. I mean shit I am an agnostic but I was raised by Christians and went to church with friends. The morals and values I learned from that definitely play a role in my thought process.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Arturo Bandini - 10-28-2020

I don't have religious beliefs.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - michaelsean - 10-28-2020

(10-27-2020, 11:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Much like homer I'm agnostic in the sense that if I picked the wrong God to believe in then im just making the real god madder at me.

They’re all more or less wrong except maybe some of the eastern religions. Random monks up in the Himalayas are probably as close to correct as there is.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Nately120 - 10-28-2020

(10-28-2020, 01:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They’re all more or less wrong except maybe some of the eastern religions. Random monks up in the Himalayas are probably as close to correct as there is.

I'm more of the Jewish and/or Bangles belief wherein I believe that we make our own heaven or hell here on earth. 

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - michaelsean - 10-28-2020

(10-28-2020, 02:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm more of the Jewish and/or Bangles belief wherein I believe that we make our own heaven or hell here on earth. 

Damn you sure effed that up.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Nately120 - 10-28-2020

(10-28-2020, 02:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Damn you sure effed that up.

Why, was that Bananarama or something?

(10-28-2020, 02:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why, was that Bananarama or something?

No making your life heaven or hell.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Belsnickel - 10-28-2020

(10-28-2020, 01:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They’re all more or less wrong except maybe some of the eastern religions. Random monks up in the Himalayas are probably as close to correct as there is.

I agree. I honestly am a member of a church more for the community than anything. I feel like there is some truth in all of them, and they are all wrong, as well.

(10-28-2020, 07:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree. I honestly am a member of a church more for the community than anything. I feel like there is some truth in all of them, and they are all wrong, as well.

Sure lots of benefits to a church community and with some exceptions churches promote a truly moral life.

RE: Do Your Religious Beliefs Impact Your Decision Making? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 11-02-2020

(10-28-2020, 02:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why, was that Bananarama or something?

LOL LOL LOL

I find it hilarious that I had the EXACT SAME reaction to his post that you did! LOL LOL LOL

BTW, I believe you are looking for Belinda Carlisle...