Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
AJ’s decline... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: AJ’s decline... (/Thread-AJ%E2%80%99s-decline)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

AJ’s decline... - Nicomo Cosca - 11-15-2020

Another absolutely horrendous game from our former great WR. 0 catches on 5 targets, no separation whatsoever, and some infuriating lack of effort on a couple plays.

AJ is one of my favorite Bengals of all time. I own the man’s jersey. He was a total joy to watch for many years, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a drastic decline in play like this from a former elite player. Maybe it’s because he was out so long, and with other players it’s usually more gradual?

I’ve certainly seen enough though. I’m not even interested in bringing him back on a team friendly deal at this point. We HAVE to move on after this season. He’s gone from being a non-factor, to actively becoming a negative out there.

We’ve got our big play guy now in Tee Higgins. Use that money on OL, DL, CB, TE...anything, idc. Just not a 33 year old WR who’s heart clearly isn’t it anymore.

RE: AJ’s decline... - Tony - 11-15-2020

He's been shot for 2 years.. Wow did this dude steal some money! Smart man!

RE: AJ’s decline... - RunKijanaRun - 11-15-2020

I barely even like him anymore. I lost all respect and admiration for him.

RE: AJ’s decline... - Murdock2420 - 11-15-2020

A.J. not only looks like he has lost a step, he really looks like he has lost interest and that is what is the saddest part to me.
I can handle the skills declining, he is older and has been hurt, but the body language is just really bad.

The throw late in the game where the ball landed several yards behind him, and he just turns to the sidelines and casually walked off while kind of waving his hand almost dismissively. That looked like a guy who has just had it with loss after loss and things just being the same as always.

I don't know if a change of scenery next season gets something out of him again but it is sadly time to part ways with him.

RE: AJ’s decline... - QueenCity - 11-15-2020

AJ to me is one of those "finesse" players. Made everything look easy from high school to the Pro's.

He isn't a dawg however when things get difficult he folds cause the game always came easy to him. Now at this point where is skills have clearly declined he's worthless and practically given up.

Time to cut bait.. I know a lot of you he is yall's favorite player growing up but at some point its time to turn the page.

RE: AJ’s decline... - Destro - 11-15-2020

I felt bad when things went sour with Chad, too. We just can't have nice things.

RE: AJ’s decline... - BengalChris - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Another absolutely horrendous game from our former great WR. 0 catches on 5 targets, no separation whatsoever, and some infuriating lack of effort on a couple plays.

AJ is one of my favorite Bengals of all time. I own the man’s jersey. He was a total joy to watch for many years, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a drastic decline in play like this from a former elite player. Maybe it’s because he was out so long, and with other players it’s usually more gradual?

I’ve certainly seen enough though. I’m not even interested in bringing him back on a team friendly deal at this point. We HAVE to move on after this season. He’s gone from being a non-factor, to actively becoming a negative out there.

We’ve got our big play guy now in Tee Higgins. Use that money on OL, DL, CB, TE...anything, idc. Just not a 33 year old WR who’s heart clearly isn’t it anymore.

I'm with you. I think he should consider retirement. And so should Taylor and his entire staff.

RE: AJ’s decline... - Nicomo Cosca - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 10:54 PM)Tony Wrote: He's been shot for 2 years.. Wow did this dude steal some money! Smart man!

He wasn’t shot in 2018. He had 46 rec 694 yds 6 TD in 9 games. That’s what makes this drop off so surprising. The last time he was he playing he was still really good.

(11-15-2020, 11:00 PM)QueenCity Wrote: AJ to me is one of those "finesse" players. Made everything look easy from high school to the Pro's.

He isn't a dawg however when things get difficult he folds cause the game always came easy to him. Now at this point where is skills have clearly declined he's worthless and practically given up.

Time to cut bait.. I know a lot of you he is yall's favorite player growing up but at some point its time to turn the page.

Growing up? How old you think most people here are? Lol

RE: AJ’s decline... - CJD - 11-15-2020

That's 18 million dollars we can spend on the Oline, Dline and secondary in 2021.

God knows we need it...

(11-15-2020, 11:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He wasn’t shot in 2018. He had 46 rec 694 yds 6 TD in 9 games. That’s what makes this drop off so surprising. The last time he was he playing he was still really good.

Is his drop-off mental or physical then?

Some guys coming back from major injuries do take a full season to get back to form. Not saying that is true for A.J. since he is up there in the years, but just a thought.

Another thought is, mentally he is trying to avoid getting hurt again or maybe he is just checked out since the team just keeps on losing?

I don't have the answer but as you said, to see him go from A.J. to this with no middle is weird.

(11-15-2020, 11:01 PM)Destro Wrote: I felt bad when things went sour with Chad, too. We just can't have nice things.

Seems like it’s headed for a bad breakup with Geno, too. And it obviously did with Dunlap.

Shame on Mike Brown and his family for wasting so many careers.

RE: AJ’s decline... - QueenCity - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 11:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Growing up? How old you think most people here are? Lol

Fair statement... most message board posters I recon are 40-65

Personally I'm 28 for the record but grew up with sports forum so had taken to them.

(11-15-2020, 11:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is his drop-off mental or physical then?

Some guys coming back from major injuries do take a full season to get back to form. Not saying that is true for A.J. since he is up there in the years, but just a thought.

Another thought is, mentally he is trying to avoid getting hurt again or maybe he is just checked out since the team just keeps on losing?

I don't have the answer but as you said, to see him go from A.J. to this with no middle is weird.

I think there’s absolutely some truth to that. He’s not going to get many offers with the tape he’s putting together this season though.

RE: AJ’s decline... - J24 - 11-15-2020

(11-15-2020, 11:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is his drop-off mental or physical then?

The way I see it is he is going from the #1 guy on the team to the #3 guy. That's a hard mental adjustment for anyone to make. Also not having a full training camp or off-season probably makes it harder for him and Burrow to get in rhythm as well.

(11-15-2020, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think there’s absolutely some truth to that. He’s not going to get many offers with the tape he’s putting together this season though.

No doubt, I think he's going to have to take a very low offer with a lot of incentives wherever he goes next. 

I just hate to see one of the greatest players to ever put on the Bengals jersey fade away like this.

RE: AJ’s decline... - bengaloo - 11-15-2020

I think its a combination of most of the things mentioned. He's getting older, he missed a lot of football, his heart is not in it and is losing interest in being a Bengal.

The pass that was a little behind him where we walked off the field looking pissed I dont think was as poorly thrown ball as it looked. I think Burrow put it there because AJ was covered, and he just landed a yard or two short to a WR who wouldnt trouble himself with adjusting to the ball. AJ could've tried to make a play on it but had no interest and I've seen that a few times this year. So there is definitely a lack of effort.

RE: AJ’s decline... - lone bengal - 11-15-2020

Yeah its sad but Green's done. Big picture older underperforming vets on big contracts don't make sense for this team long term. Green won't be here next year or shouldn't and we've already moved on from Dunlap. Geno should be on deck.

RE: AJ’s decline... - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 11-15-2020

I find it funny that people are now finding lack of effort in his play . AJ NEVER goes up and fights for the ball. Anquan Boldin and Julio Jones are the two most recent WRs that excelled at fighting for receptions. He'll adjust his body to reach a ball but if there is any defender near him, the ball needs to be thrown almost perfect, otherwise, it just gets deflected away. Time to move on.

AJ’s decline... - BenZoo2 - 11-15-2020

With Los gone and A.J. seemingly done here I hope we can make a run at Thuney in free agency. Draft an ot in round 1 finally get a decent line going again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk