Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
This Offense Offends Me! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: This Offense Offends Me! (/Thread-This-Offense-Offends-Me)

Pages: 1 2

This Offense Offends Me! - Fan_in_Kettering - 11-15-2020

Usually I'm more of a defensive person so I want to open the floor to all of you offensive experts because something I saw today bothered me immensely:  Other than Fred Johnson, why didn't Zac Taylor and Jim Turner roll out the same offensive line personnel which beat Tennessee?  You know, those five guys who kept Joe Burrow upright and opened holes for Giovani Bernard?   This is the NFL and if something works, keep using it!  I know it was two weeks ago but come on!

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - impactplaya - 11-16-2020

Let me add to.your post.
How come dumbfluck Zac didnt commit to.the run game knowing
The Cowboys exposed the Steelers last week?
Perrine and Bernard were getting 4 yds a pop.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - michaelsean - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 12:08 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let me add to.your post.

You’d think the wind would have tipped it that way, but nobody, not tape, not success and not Mother Nature is going to tell ZT how to call a game.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - Essex Johnson - 11-16-2020

(11-15-2020, 11:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I'm more of a defensive person so I want to open the floor to all of you offensive experts because something I saw today bothered me immensely:  Other than Fred Johnson, why didn't Zac Taylor and Jim Turner roll out the same offensive line personnel which beat Tennessee?  You know, those five guys who kept Joe Burrow upright and opened holes for Giovani Bernard?   This is the NFL and if something works, keep using it!  I know it was two weeks ago but come on!
It was more Burrow having a off day, while the game was still somewhat in reach the line was decent against a much better defense than Tenn. But Burrow could not be consistent enough or make plays on 3rd down. He was horrendous on 3rd down 

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - Murdock2420 - 11-16-2020

(11-15-2020, 11:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I'm more of a defensive person so I want to open the floor to all of you offensive experts because something I saw today bothered me immensely:  Other than Fred Johnson, why didn't Zac Taylor and Jim Turner roll out the same offensive line personnel which beat Tennessee?  You know, those five guys who kept Joe Burrow upright and opened holes for Giovani Bernard?   This is the NFL and if something works, keep using it!  I know it was two weeks ago but come on!

To you both, I simply say... I have no idea.

The weather was bad to start, that usually means it is a good time to run the ball. I get that Mixon wasn't in, but the guys that we did use had success, and we just gave up on it. 

It was almost like they wanted to do the exact opposite of what was expected to try and catch them off-guard. Which of course means playing to their strength as a pass rushing defense.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - GreenCornBengal - 11-16-2020

Offensive line played well enough today from what I saw. Missed passes and drops foiled the day. It was the tight coverage type of day that the Bengals find a way to lose.

AJ Green couldn’t catch a pass. Auden Tate couldn’t out muscle Joe Hayden. Boyd was blanketed and Higgins did all he could, but also got stripped. Bad showing from the receivers IMO. Burrow missed throws on top of all that. Inefficient day.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - impactplaya - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 12:20 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Offensive line played well enough today from what I saw. Missed passes and drops foiled the day. It was the tight coverage type of day that the Bengals find a way to lose.

AJ Green couldn’t catch a pass. Auden Tate couldn’t out muscle Joe Hayden. Boyd was blanketed and Higgins did all he could, but also got stripped. Bad showing from the receivers IMO. Burrow missed throws on top of all that. Inefficient day.

If you watched closely the Steelers were running wide open drag routes. Which on a windy day are better routes to run.
You dont have to.put.so.much zip on.the ball.
It's more anticipation.throws and trusting the WR to be at a spot

Then.you.have idiot Zac Taylor drawing up comeback routes
Vs savy vets like Joe Haden where you really have to.zip 
The ball in their.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - WhodeyRay - 11-16-2020

Not running the ball is just perplexing to me. It keeps the defense honest and also opens up the deep ball with play action. Especially against an overly aggressive defense.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - Whatever - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 12:30 AM)impactplaya Wrote: If you watched closely the Steelers were running wide open drag routes. Which on a windy day are better routes to run.
You dont have to.put.so.much zip on.the ball.
It's more anticipation.throws and trusting the WR to be at a spot

Then.you.have idiot Zac Taylor drawing up comeback routes
Vs savy vets like Joe Haden where you really have to.zip 
The ball in their.

The problem is you need WR's with speed to effectively run those drag routes.  The Steelers have them.  We don't.

The reality is that this team doesn't have the talent on offense to just run whatever they want.  

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - Sled21 - 11-17-2020

I was perplexed as to why we weren't giving Perine the ball more often, as he gashed them on a couple of plays.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - bfine32 - 11-17-2020

Because Trey Hopkins is a better NFL Center than Billy Price.

Who were we going to play at RT if we left Spain at LG

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - thillan - 11-17-2020

The more I think about the game on Sunday, I feel more and more convinced now that Zac's goal was to let Burrow try to whoop the Steelers in his first game against them. I think it was an ego play, and he wanted Burrow to go off against them. No other reasoning I can think of given the weather, and that our guys weren't running bad.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - bengaloo - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 11:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was perplexed as to why we weren't giving Perine the ball more often, as he gashed them on a couple of plays.

Agreed. We averaged 5 ypc rushing as a team, minus the fake punt run. But, ZT was quick to blame his play calling after the game. I think he realized that we were running well and should've kept doing it. Perine looked good.

And I am defending ZT when I say that at least he holds himself accountable. Marvin never did. Maybe he didnt expect to be able to run as well as we did based on the fact the our run blocking has been terrible and Mixon is out, but the bottom line, our OL with Spain, Redmond and Adeniji has some better run blocking ability than we did the first part of the year. They were opening holes against the Stealers D. ZT messed up by not taking advantage of it. Glad he see's it.

That being said, Burrow had a bad game and so did our WR's. It wasnt all play calling.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-17-2020

(11-16-2020, 12:20 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Offensive line played well enough today from what I saw. Missed passes and drops foiled the day. It was the tight coverage type of day that the Bengals find a way to lose.

This. I thought the line played pretty well all things considered.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - Wes Mantooth - 11-17-2020

Occasionally I'll check the box score while I'm watching the game, just to see how the numbers are shaking out. 

I was wondering why weren't running the ball more because it seemed like we actually doing ok at it.  When I looked we had 10 rushes for 51 yards and it was late in the 3rd the quarter.

It's absolutely insane how he runs his offense at times.  There's no identity, and no ryhthm whatsoever.  Why wouldn't you lean on the run game a bit when you're struggling so much in the pass game?  Does he not know that sometimes commiting to the run game leads to opening up the passing game, or that you'll occassionally hit on a big run?

Dude stinks.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - ezekiel23 - 11-17-2020

The Bengals were coming off a bye week so it’s not like they didn’t have time to prepare.But they looked unprepared.Coaching???

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - impactplaya - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 01:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Occasionally I'll check the box score while I'm watching the game, just to see how the numbers are shaking out. 

I was wondering why weren't running the ball more because it seemed like we actually doing ok at it.  When I looked we had 10 rushes for 51 yards and it was late in the 3rd the quarter.

It's absolutely insane how he runs his offense at times.  There's no identity, and no ryhthm whatsoever.  Why wouldn't you lean on the run game a bit when you're struggling so much in the pass game?  Does he not know that sometimes commiting to the run game leads to opening up the passing game, or that you'll occassionally hit on a big run?

Dude stinks.
Maube Zac doesnt realize but when you run the ball at 5 yds a pop

1. You own the clock
2. Keeps the Steelers offense off the field
3. Gives your defense a rest 
OH BY THE WAY YOU DUMB FLUCK COACH THROWING THE
BALL AND NOT COMITTING TO THE RUN MEANS YOUR DEFENSE IS ON.THE FIELD WAY TOO MUCH AND YOUR PLAYING 2 CBs IN DAVIS AND BROWN THAT ARENT USED TO 
THOSE MANY SNAP COUNTS!!

4.Your play action opens up. 
5.3rd down is managable. Now the edge rushers Dupree and Watt are now guessing and not simply reacting and doing what 
They do best which get the qb out of his comfort level

6. Beating the Steelers at the point of attack now gives you 
A proper mindet to overcome them

(11-17-2020, 01:28 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The Bengals were coming off a bye week so it’s not like they didn’t have time to prepare.But they looked unprepared.Coaching???

Do teams even practice during the bye week? The Bye helps your team heal and come back healthier, but it's not an anomaly for a team to come out flat afterward.
On edit: just looked it up, teams do not practice, game plan, or do anything but rest or heal on the bye week. If not for Covid, most would be out of town.

Since 2002, teams coming off a bye and playing at home win 52.7% if the time. Teams coming off bye and playing away win 58.3% of time.

RE: This Offense Offends Me! - ochocincos - 11-17-2020

Big difference between TEN and PIT is that PIT is #1 rushing the passer whereas TEN is near the bottom.
The OL looks a lot better when going against worse front 7.

As others had indicated, the Bengals didn't really have a good option to put at OT, so they moved Spain there. Spain actually performed better than I expected given he's never played OT, at least in the NFL.

This is what happens when you have 3 OTs and a starting OG recovering from injuries.

(11-17-2020, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Big difference between TEN and PIT is that PIT is #1 rushing the passer whereas TEN is near the bottom.
The OL looks a lot better when going against worse front 7.

As others had indicated, the Bengals didn't really have a good option to put at OT, so they moved Spain there. Spain actually performed better than I expected given he's never played OT, at least in the NFL.

This is what happens when you have 3 OTs and a starting OG recovering from injuries.

If people would put their emotions on the shelf for a minute and look at the game without them, it is a miracle Burrow was on his feet at all. It really should have been more like the first Baltimore game with Pissburghs D-line and our mix and match o line.