Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? (/Thread-Sewell-or-trade-with-QB-needy-teams)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - rfaulk34 - 12-23-2020

(11-25-2020, 04:59 PM)Jpoore Wrote: We do that our oline is still the worst oline in the nfl.

One guy, like Sewell, instantly upgrades the line. Full.Stop.

(12-23-2020, 09:46 PM)J24 Wrote: It's also a pretty deep WR class as well. Anyways we need defense more so than offense especially if we lose Lawson and Jackson.

I don't know that the need on D is more important...as much as some health is needed over there. I don't think both of them leave. I'd prefer to keep Lawson. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 06:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: My opinion it sounds more like the "Dalton theory" give him more weapons to raise his game.... as i stated elite QB do not need all the weapons, at times they need better defenses actually.. so if we truly believe Burrow is in that class it is not essential to load up at WR for sure.. I understand building up the line totally.. just don;t think outside of Sewell another lineman warrants the #3 pick but i totally see LB and DE that can warrant the 3rd pick.. I prefer to go FA with a veteran WR or TE to help Burrow over Chase ....

Nonsense. Does Mahomes win the Super Bowl last year without Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce? Did Peyton not have a HoF WR in Marvin Harrison? Montana had Rice. Brady had to get out of NE because they refused to give him the weapons he needed, but when he had Gronk and Moss before that he was on another level. Would Aaron Rodgers have more than one ring if they gave him better weapons all those years? I know Watson is having a good season statistically, but the team sucks, would they not be better if they still had Nuk Hopkins?

If the strength of your team is your QB you should build around him.

(12-23-2020, 09:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Its has potential but it isn't even close compared to last years class. I believe 6 or 7 Offensive Tackles went in the first round of the 2020 draft.

Penei Sewell of course is the favorite but after him its iffy. 

Rashawn Slater has zero length so he fits some teams but not others. You see reports saying he does better straight forward instead of trying to reach block that's a length issue so teams that use heavy zone and run alot of zone stretch like the Rams 49ers Browns Vikings etc. will likely go a different direction.

Christian Darrisaw is probably the best after Sewell because he took a step forward in pass protection in 2020 and was always a solid run blocker.

Sam Cosmi is your typical finesse athletic tackle that you see every year. He is solid in pass pro but gives up ground to bull rushes and isnt a great run blocker.

Liam's Eichenberg is your veteran type. He is technically sound plays and seems to have the base line athleticism to play in the NFL. Reminds me alot of Jonah Williams as a prospect.

Dillon Radunz is the North Dakota State FCS tackle that hasn't played against great competition. His Senior Bowl practices will be very telling. 

Alex Leatherwood is your yearly Alabama tackle. He will get a shot on the edge in the pros but ultimately stiff ankles and hips could force him inside.

Jackson Carman is built and has the athleticism of an NFL caliber tackle and will play great most of the time but then just gets beat out of the blue never fails.

Jalen Mayfield was up and down in 2019 and was injured for most of 2020.

Yep. That's why i want Sewell, if he's there, and not someone included in a trade down scenario, from that group. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - J24 - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 10:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know that the need on D is more important...as much as some health is needed over there. I don't think both of them leave. I'd prefer to keep Lawson. 

While I agree with Lawson over Jackson. With that being  said Jackson is a number 1 CB and will be very hard to replace. Also will need a replacement for Geno, a replacement for Carlos, and another interior rusher. 
Top 7 needs to me are
1.)CB
2.) G
3.) 3T 
4.) Edge
5.) Deep threat WR
6.) TE
7.) T
You can legitimately argue that all these positions could be drafted in the first. Where in a tough place right now so hopefully we can A.) Be a factor in free agency or B.) We can get a major trade.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Jpoore - 12-24-2020

(12-23-2020, 09:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Its has potential but it isn't even close compared to last years class. I believe 6 or 7 Offensive Tackles went in the first round of the 2020 draft.

Penei Sewell of course is the favorite but after him its iffy. 

Rashawn Slater has zero length so he fits some teams but not others. You see reports saying he does better straight forward instead of trying to reach block that's a length issue so teams that use heavy zone and run alot of zone stretch like the Rams 49ers Browns Vikings etc. will likely go a different direction.

Christian Darrisaw is probably the best after Sewell because he took a step forward in pass protection in 2020 and was always a solid run blocker.

Sam Cosmi is your typical finesse athletic tackle that you see every year. He is solid in pass pro but gives up ground to bull rushes and isnt a great run blocker.

Liam's Eichenberg is your veteran type. He is technically sound plays and seems to have the base line athleticism to play in the NFL. Reminds me alot of Jonah Williams as a prospect.

Dillon Radunz is the North Dakota State FCS tackle that hasn't played against great competition. His Senior Bowl practices will be very telling. 

Alex Leatherwood is your yearly Alabama tackle. He will get a shot on the edge in the pros but ultimately stiff ankles and hips could force him inside.

Jackson Carman is built and has the athleticism of an NFL caliber tackle and will play great most of the time but then just gets beat out of the blue never fails.

Jalen Mayfield was up and down in 2019 and was injured for most of 2020.
Complete disagree. It’s better at the top and deeper than last years. U had 2 question marks at the top as ppl thought becton and Thomas was a question mark and we’re iffy. Austin jackson was looked at as a bigger reach than clielin ferrell. I got 7 tackles with 1st round grades which is what most will have and another 5 with 2nd rounds.
(12-23-2020, 09:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: One guy, like Sewell, instantly upgrades the line. Full.Stop.

Really? He dosent improve trash rg and average center play. Even if he gets the best pff grade of tackles in the last 5 draft classes(something Jonah williams currently holds) he’s pretty much Bobby hart this year. We will still be picking top 10 next year if that’s the case. But Wyatt Davis and Christian darrisaw? All of a sudden there is 0 weakness on oline and u grabbed at minimum an extra 2nd and extra 3rd to improve dline and secondary

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - RiverRat13 - 12-24-2020

(12-24-2020, 06:41 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Complete disagree. It’s better at the top and deeper than last years. U had 2 question marks at the top as ppl thought becton and Thomas  was a question mark and we’re iffy. Austin jackson was looked at as a bigger reach than clielin ferrell. I got 7 tackles with 1st round grades which is what most will have and another 5 with 2nd rounds.

Really? He dosent improve trash rg and average center play. Even if he gets the best pff grade of tackles in the last 5 draft classes(something Jonah williams currently holds) he’s pretty much Bobby hart this year. We will still be picking top 10 next year if that’s the case. But Wyatt Davis and Christian darrisaw? All of a sudden there is 0 weakness on oline and u grabbed at minimum an extra 2nd and extra 3rd to improve dline and secondary

I will be irate if the Bengals try to solve the offensive line by starting two rookies.  I don't care so much if they trade back, but counting on two rookies to be ready Day 1 with Joe coming off of knee surgery is a disaster waiting to happen.  

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - ochocincos - 12-24-2020

(12-23-2020, 09:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: One guy, like Sewell, instantly upgrades the line. Full.Stop.

Per PFF_College twitter:

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Jpoore - 12-24-2020

(12-24-2020, 07:29 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I will be irate if the Bengals try to solve the offensive line by starting two rookies.  I don't care so much if they trade back, but counting on two rookies to be ready Day 1 with Joe coming off of knee surgery is a disaster waiting to happen.  

I think Wyatt is a day one starter. Leatherwood or whatever tackle we take top of rd2 if we trade back could be brought along lore slowly especially if hart has another career year like he’s having this year.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - SunsetBengal - 12-24-2020

(11-25-2020, 09:42 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LOL.  Come on, he wasn't considered a generational talent.  The last ones that I can think of that were talked about in the same regard as Sewell:

Walter Jones
Orlando Pace
Jonathan Ogden
Joe Thomas
Chris Samuels

Those were guys that had zero doubts that they were franchise type guys.

Ever heard of Tony Mandrich?  He was also a consensus top, without a doubt Tackle prospect..

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - rfaulk34 - 12-25-2020

(12-24-2020, 06:41 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Really? He dosent improve trash rg and average center play. Even if he gets the best pff grade of tackles in the last 5 draft classes(something Jonah williams currently holds) he’s pretty much Bobby hart this year. We will still be picking top 10 next year if that’s the case. But Wyatt Davis and Christian darrisaw? All of a sudden there is 0 weakness on oline and u grabbed at minimum an extra 2nd and extra 3rd to improve dline and secondary

Hopkins is, at worst, an average Center and with the needs this team has, he's one of the last guys you need to worry about replacing this next year. You take care of fixing the "trash RG" play by signing one of the 3 guys who should be available in FA. Move Spain back to LG where he's an above average pass blocker (while not being very good in the run). Then you have Sewell--Spain--Hopkins--FA--Williams. That's a good Oline, capable of protecting your franchise quarterback. 

I wouldn't touch another OSU Olineman with a 10 foot pole for the next decade or two and i don't trust the Bengals as far as i can throw them picking anywhere from 10-32 in rd1 or any round after that, save the 2nd where they've somehow been magical. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - rfaulk34 - 12-25-2020

(12-24-2020, 08:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Per PFF_College twitter:

People love to overthink stuff. So he's uber-hyped, so what? His athleticism is off the charts and he's only 20.

And he beastmodes all over fools.  Shocked

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-25-2020

(12-25-2020, 12:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: People love to overthink stuff. So he's uber-hyped, so what? His athleticism is off the charts and he's only 20.

“bUt iTS tHe pAC 12!!!”

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Essex Johnson - 12-25-2020

(12-24-2020, 07:29 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I will be irate if the Bengals try to solve the offensive line by starting two rookies.  I don't care so much if they trade back, but counting on two rookies to be ready Day 1 with Joe coming off of knee surgery is a disaster waiting to happen.  

why??  Brady in his 40s has a rookie tackle doing just fine protecting him.. if Burrow is that injury prone at QB that we have to worry about him getting hurt and need to put a perfect line behind him.. we might as well get a veteran QB behind our line instead

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - bfine32 - 12-25-2020

I think the Dolphins are starting 3 Rookies. on the oline protecting a QB coming off a hip injury. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-25-2020

Nothing wrong with starting 2 rookies if they’re 1st rounders like Jonah and Sewell. And then you have Hopkins who’s decent in the middle. You just can’t put absolute scrubs (Jordan, Redmond, etc) next to the the young guys and expect it to not effect them. Preferably no backup caliber starters either like XSF.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - ochocincos - 12-26-2020

(12-25-2020, 12:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: People love to overthink stuff. So he's uber-hyped, so what? His athleticism is off the charts and he's only 20.

I can understand why people don't put a ton of value in a guy in college overpowering other college guys.
Andrew Billings overpowered guys in college but he wasn't able to consistently do it in the NFL, which is why he only got a 1 year, $3.5 mill deal with CLE.
But Sewell is more than just power. He will almost assuredly have some stumbles given he is going to only be 20 when he starts his first NFL game and didn't play at all this past season in college, but there's a ton to like about him.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Jpoore - 12-26-2020

(12-25-2020, 12:10 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hopkins is, at worst, an average Center and with the needs this team has, he's one of the last guys you need to worry about replacing this next year. You take care of fixing the "trash RG" play by signing one of the 3 guys who should be available in FA. Move Spain back to LG where he's an above average pass blocker (while not being very good in the run). Then you have Sewell--Spain--Hopkins--FA--Williams. That's a good Oline, capable of protecting your franchise quarterback. 

I wouldn't touch another OSU Olineman with a 10 foot pole for the next decade or two and i don't trust the Bengals as far as i can throw them picking anywhere from 10-32 in rd1 or any round after that, save the 2nd where they've somehow been magical. 

We don’t have money for free agency. I still expect us to try and keep aj green. Even if we did I’d prefer money be spent elsewhere. Hopkins is at best an average center. Spain is another guy we have to resign. If we can, move him to lg, u get the best guard in the draft and best since nelson at rg, get a 2nd round pick tackle to be ur rt, weather that be leatherwood,, slater, or someone else. Giving u a line of Jonah-Spain-Hopkins- Davis-leatherwood. Both are great lines. But only one gives u a lot of extra high picks to improve the dline and secondary. Also ur “I wouldn’t touch a osu olineman with a 10 foot pole” is idiotic. We had 1 high pick bust. But ur type of mindset we would never draft anyone. From any schools. That’s how u miss out on the micheal Thomas of the world

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 07:53 PM)Jpoore Wrote: We don’t have money for free agency.

You can keep saying this as much as you want, it doesn’t make it anymore true.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - rfaulk34 - 12-27-2020

(12-26-2020, 07:53 PM)Jpoore Wrote: We don’t have money for free agency. I still expect us to try and keep aj green. Even if we did I’d prefer money be spent elsewhere. Hopkins is at best an average center.  Spain is another guy we have to resign. If we can, move him to lg, u get the best guard in the draft and best since nelson at rg, get a 2nd round pick tackle to be ur rt, weather that be leatherwood,, slater, or someone else.  Giving u a line of Jonah-Spain-Hopkins- Davis-leatherwood. Both are great lines. But only one gives u a lot of extra high picks to improve the dline and secondary.  Also ur “I wouldn’t touch a osu olineman with a 10 foot pole” is idiotic. We had 1 high pick bust. But ur type of mindset we would never draft anyone. From any schools. That’s how u miss out on the micheal Thomas of the world

You must have missed the part about OSU linemen...

I'm an OSU fan. Wyatt Davis is strong in a phone booth but he doesn't move well and i don't think i've ever seen him pull. He gets bulled a lot in passpro as well. I'll be completely shocked if he's even an above average OG in the NFL. 

In the last 10 drafts there have been 4 OSU linemen selected in the first 2 rds. Adams, Decker, Mewhort and Price. Adams and Price flopped (moreso Price). Mewhort was average to a little above and Decker has been good for Detroit. Throw in MJ (4th rounder) and Jonah Jackson (3rd rounder this year) and they've been terribad.

That's one good pick out of 6 in the last 10 years. I'm gonna call it now and say one good pick out of 7 in the last 11 drafts after this next year.