Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? (/Thread-Sewell-or-trade-with-QB-needy-teams)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - RiverRat13 - 11-23-2020

You don't pass up generational players because your tackles haven't been awful. You go hard after Thuney or someone of that caliber, take Sewell, then figure out where to plug Jonah in (either RT or LG) based on what you have.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - KillerGoose - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 01:27 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: You don't pass up generational players because your tackles haven't been awful.  You go hard after Thuney or someone of that caliber, take Sewell, then figure out where to plug Jonah in (either RT or LG) based on what you have.

I really think this is the best strategy. You have two lineups here...

Sewell - Thuney - Hopkins - Spain/XSF - Williams

OR

Williams - Thuney - Hopkins - Spain/XSF - Sewell

Sewell has never played RT, so I think option one is better. Even if they don't get Thuney, you run with...

Sewell - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Williams

and I think that line is the best line Cincinnati is going to field. You have replaced Hart with Sewell, basically, and then replaced Jordan with Spain. This is all dependent on Sewell working out, but from the tape I have seen, I feel confident that he will. You will still have some long-term question marks at G as Spain and XSF could very well not be the answer, but I believe they would provide better play than we have seen for most of the year (I think Spain has played quite admirably). Still, best case scenario would be grabbing Thuney and Sewell.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Jpoore - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 01:27 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: You don't pass up generational players because your tackles haven't been awful. You go hard after Thuney or someone of that caliber, take Sewell, then figure out where to plug Jonah in (either RT or LG) based on what you have.

On no planet can we afford thuney

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - ochocincos - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 03:58 PM)Jpoore Wrote: On no planet can we afford thuney

The Bengals can, but it would cost WJ3 and/or Lawson. Not to mention the Bengals don't pay elite money for guards.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Hammerstripes - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals can, but it would cost WJ3 and/or Lawson. Not to mention the Bengals don't pay elite money for guards.

No, it wouldn't cost us either of those guys.

As of now we have $42 million in cap space for next year.  That doesn't include in cuts that may be coming.

If we moved on from Hart and Geno, that's an additional $15 million in cap space.  

We should be able to sign WJ3, Lawson and Thuney for $40 million bucks.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - ochocincos - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 05:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No, it wouldn't cost us either of those guys.

As of now we have $42 million in cap space for next year.  That doesn't include in cuts that may be coming.

If we moved on from Hart and Geno, that's an additional $15 million in cap space.  

We should be able to sign WJ3, Lawson and Thuney for $40 million bucks.

You're assuming cuts will be made.
The Bengals have about 20 veterans hitting FA, including the entire ST unit.
Signing just the ST unit alone will likely cost $7+ mill.

I wouldn't bet cuts happen until after the draft picks are made, like what happened with Dalton last year.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 03:58 PM)Jpoore Wrote: On no planet can we afford thuney

Do you ever get tired of being wrong so much?

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Jpoore - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 07:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sewell is going to be the BPA, and he plays an extremely important position. Plus on the OL an elite player can make the guy next to him better.

Nobody on our OL is good enough to not be upgraded. Jonah is obviously the best, but he can move to RT and we have our bookends for the next decade.
Of course he’ll be bpa...
But again that does nothing to solve the issue that is the bengals oline this year. The interior is where the problem is not to mention the other obvious holes we have. Getting Sewell would give us bookend tackles but then we still are allowing Tyne interior to give up sacks in under 2 seconds so what does that do? The smart move would be to get a haul for a team that wants Sewell.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - bfine32 - 11-23-2020

You take Sewell:

Which one of these outstanding young LT prospects do you tell:

We're moving you to RT (or worse yet, guard)?

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - KillerGoose - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 10:20 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Of course he’ll be bpa...
But again that does nothing to solve the issue that is the bengals oline this year. The interior is where the problem is not to mention the other obvious holes we have. Getting Sewell would give us bookend tackles but then we still are allowing Tyne interior to give up sacks in under 2 seconds so what does that do? The smart move would be to get a haul for a team that wants Sewell.

It gives us a legitimately great prospect at tackle who could man the spot for the next 10-15 years. Having both tackle spots and a young, talented QB locked up would allow the offense to thrive for years. The G position can be filled in FA (as said, a line of Sewell - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Williams is not a bad line, assuming Sewell pans out as we expect).

-Sign a FA G.
-Draft Sewell.

Or they could roll with Spain and XSF as the starters next year. I think Spain has played well in his limited time here and I would like to see XSF before commenting further on him.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Synric - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 11:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It gives us a legitimately great prospect at tackle who could man the spot for the next 10-15 years. Having both tackle spots and a young, talented QB locked up would allow the offense to thrive for years. The G position can be filled in FA (as said, a line of Sewell - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Williams is not a bad line, assuming Sewell pans out as we expect).

-Sign a FA G.
-Draft Sewell.

Or they could roll with Spain and XSF as the starters next year. I think Spain has played well in his limited time here and I would like to see XSF before commenting further on him. 

Draft Sewell have bookend tackles. Resign Spain to lock down a guard spot....

Then bring in a guy like Kelechi Osemele to compete with Adeniji, XSF, and possible a 3rd or 4th round IOL prospect. Zion Jordan, Deonte Brown, and Ben Cleveland are a few good names.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 11-23-2020

(11-23-2020, 10:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You take Sewell:

Which one of these outstanding young LT prospects do you tell:

We're moving you to RT (or worse yet, guard)?

I’m moving Jonah to RT and not giving it a second thought. Sewell is a generational type talent at LT, and is supposed to be the best OT in like a decade. And yes I’ve seen what PFF said about Jonah. I’m sure he’ll get over being moved to RT for a guy taken 3rd overall.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - ElkValleyBengal - 11-24-2020

I hate to think this way but I am compelled to. What if Sewell is a Bengal and he is the second coming of Anthony Munoz (yeah, it's kinda silly to think that). How much is he going to cost 4 years from now. Didn't the Packers LT just sign for something like $27 million a year or something close? How do you pay Burrow and Sewell and still field a team?

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - bfine32 - 11-24-2020

(11-23-2020, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m moving Jonah to RT and not giving it a second thought. Sewell is a generational type talent at LT, and is supposed to be the best OT in like a decade. And yes I’ve seen what PFF said about Jonah. I’m sure he’ll get over being moved to RT for a guy taken 3rd overall.

The last OT folks told me was generational was Greg Robinson.

If we hadn't gone RD 1 for a LT 2 years ago that appears to be working out just fine; I'd have 0 questions about taking Sewell at #3 and if we draft there he seems like the best move; although playing one year in the PAC 10 should cause concern. Anyone who "opted out" loses a little bit to me. 

I'm not sure of any young LT that was performing well in that position would enjoy going to RT. 

If we can get some draft capital for #3; I'd gladly move it and roll with Jonah. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 11-24-2020

(11-24-2020, 01:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The last OT folks told me was generational was Greg Robinson.

If we hadn't gone RD 1 for a LT 2 years ago that appears to be working out just fine; I'd have 0 questions about taking Sewell at #3 and if we draft there he seems like the best move; although playing one year in the PAC 10 should cause concern. Anyone who "opted out" loses a little bit to me. 

I'm not sure of any young LT that was performing well in that position would enjoy going to RT. 

If we can get some draft capital for #3; I'd gladly move it and roll with Jonah. 

Sewell played 2 years. He played 7 games as a freshman.

First Oregon true freshman offensive lineman to start the first game of the season since 1997 …

Looking through all this kid’s accomplishments is just insane.

https://goducks.com/sports/football/roster/penei-sewell/8509

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Bengal Dude - 11-24-2020

It's destiny to draft Sewell.

[Image: 72bsvfqbf0161.jpg]

(11-24-2020, 02:32 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's destiny to draft Sewell.

[Image: 72bsvfqbf0161.jpg]

Jesus, how old was he here? Looks like a grown man lol

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 11-24-2020

(11-23-2020, 07:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Not at all... say we get Sewell. What does that change? Absolutely nothing as far as oline. Saw a stat today that 90 percent of pressures has come from the interior of the oline. So I ask again what does getting Sewell change?nothing. Another year of getting hit more than any qb in the league.

In Jpoore's world, Sewell = Hart

<_<

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - KillerGoose - 11-24-2020

(11-24-2020, 11:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: In Jpoore's world, Sewell = Hart

<_<

Dude has no idea what he is talking about. He said that Burrow was "way down the list of QB prospects over the last five years" and that "Tua was the surefire pick, best QB prospect since Luck". He also guaranteed that Kyler Murray would NOT be taken first overall, or in the first round at all. He said that Murray wasn't better than Haskins, plus a whole bunch more. He actually said that he could wait for Burrow to bust so we would all shut up about him. 

I don't go after posters much, but he is the most clueless poster on this board and it isn't particularly close.