Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Draft Central (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Draft-Central)
+--- Thread: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? (/Thread-Sewell-or-trade-with-QB-needy-teams)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 02:24 AM)J24 Wrote: Daviyon Nixon 

I was going to say I haven’t seen a single mock with him in the top 10, but I guess Mel Kiper just ranked him at 10.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - J24 - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 02:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was going to say I haven’t seen a single mock with him in the top 10, but I guess Mel Kiper just ranked him at 10.

13.5 TFLs,  5.5  Sacks, and 1 pick 6 in only 8 games in a top 5 conference. If the dude lights up the Combine (which many think he will) then he is a lock for a top 15 pick.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - bfine32 - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 02:54 AM)J24 Wrote: 13.5 TFLs,  5.5  Sacks, and 1 pick 6 in only 8 games in a top 5 conference. If the dude lights up the Combine (which many think he will) then he is a lock for a top 15 pick.

Which is a shame. I was hoping he'd be in play at 35. 

Not only is dude dominant on the field; if you ever get the chance, watch him on the sidelines with his teammates. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Whatever - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 02:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But players I would take over Chase:

Parsons
Rousseau
Pitts
Farley
Surtain
Slater (maybe)

Is that because you think these guys are better overall prospects or because you just don't a WR in the 1st?

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - bfine32 - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 03:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: Is that because you think these guys are better overall prospects or because you just don't a WR in the 1st?

Chase is a better overall prospect by most analyst and it's because of position. For instance I think Pitts is a better prospect than Chase but Chase is higher because of position. It just happens the position Chase plays is arguably the strongest on our team. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Essex Johnson - 12-23-2020

(12-20-2020, 01:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess we'll just disagree. On THIS team WR is a strength. And personally I'd consider drafting a 3rd WR with the #3 OA pick in the draft to be a luxury this team cannot afford. 

I do agree we have holes all over and I think we should look to fill them instead of strengthening a position that is among our best and youngest.  

I think what some on the are too focused on is BPA for Burrow and in reality if Burrow is as good as we thought when drafting him we can think defense more than offense. WR is the best position we have have talent at top I would look DE and Rousseau has moved to top of board and mocks I've seen have him going top 6 to 8.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 02:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think what some on the are too focused on is BPA for Burrow and in reality if Burrow is as good as we thought when drafting him we can think defense more than offense. WR is the best position we have have talent at top I would look DE and Rousseau has moved to top of board and mocks I've seen have him going top 6 to 8.

This “Burrow can make average WR’s great” is not based in reality. He had an absolutely stacked offense at LSU, including 2 1st round WR’s. Can he be really good without elite weapons? Sure. But if we want LSU Joe we need to give him the best OL, best WR’s, etc. That’s why I’m way more interested in focusing on offense. Burrow is the key to our success. Let’s give him everything he needs.

Also, I’d argue safety is our best position group, not WR.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Whatever - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 02:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think what some on the are too focused on is BPA for Burrow and in reality  if Burrow is  as good as we thought when drafting him we can think defense more than offense. WR is the best position we have have talent at top I would look DE and Rousseau has moved to top of board and mocks I've seen have him going top 6 to 8.

We have the league's 30th ranked offense and 22nd ranked defense.  Which unit needs more help?

Here's the reality.  If Joe Burrow fails, it sets the franchise back years.  That's why the focus needs to be surrounding him with talent. If Lou Anarumo fails, so what?  You can always replace a coordinator.  You are rarely in a position to get a franchise QB.  

(12-23-2020, 02:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This “Burrow can make average WR’s great” is not based in reality. He had an absolutely stacked offense at LSU, including 2 1st round WR’s. Can he be really good without elite weapons? Sure. But if we want LSU Joe we need to give him the best OL, best WR’s, etc. That’s why I’m way more interested in focusing on offense. Burrow is the key to our success. Let’s give him everything he needs.

Also, I’d argue safety is our best position group, not WR.

My opinion it sounds more like the "Dalton theory" give him more weapons to raise his game.... as i stated elite QB do not need all the weapons, at times they need better defenses actually.. so if we truly believe Burrow is in that class it is not essential to load up at WR for sure.. I understand building up the line totally.. just don;t think outside of Sewell another lineman warrants the #3 pick but i totally see LB and DE that can warrant the 3rd pick.. I prefer to go FA with a veteran WR or TE to help Burrow over Chase ....

(12-23-2020, 02:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: We have the league's 30th ranked offense and 22nd ranked defense.  Which unit needs more help?

Here's the reality.  If Joe Burrow fails, it sets the franchise back years.  That's why the focus needs to be surrounding him with talent. If Lou Anarumo fails, so what?  You can always replace a coordinator.  You are rarely in a position to get a franchise QB.  

The reality is very good QBS have not won at the level they wanted not because of Offense but because of lack of defense... so you don;t think JJ Watts helped Watson ?? both units need more help.. this is not a one way street.. also we keep saying FA at Oline, why not FA at WR so if Sewell is gone pass on Chase pick top LB or DE as the #3. In rounds 2/3 go Oline.....You good with that?

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - rfaulk34 - 12-23-2020

(12-19-2020, 09:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So who we taking if JAX grabs Sewell and no one wants to trade up with us for any of the QB’s?

If it's such a deep T class, as i keep reading...i'd go Chase then Oline @33. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Fan_in_Kettering - 12-23-2020

The draft is ridiculously easy this spring. Just go BPA at OL, DL, OL, DL, OL, DL, OL.

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Jpoore - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 08:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it's such a deep T class, as i keep reading...i'd go Chase then Oline @33. 

It is. Big reason why I wanna trade back,

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - bfine32 - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 08:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it's such a deep T class, as i keep reading...i'd go Chase then Oline @33. 

Why you want the Jags to go Oline in the 2nd round?

j/k...As I've said: I'll be unhappy if the Bengals go WR at #3OA

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Whatever - 12-23-2020

(12-23-2020, 06:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The reality is very good QBS have not won at the level they wanted not because of Offense but because of lack of defense... so you don;t think JJ Watts helped Watson ?? both units need more help.. this is not a one way street.. also we keep saying FA at Oline, why not FA at WR  so if Sewell is gone pass on Chase pick top LB or DE as the #3.    In rounds 2/3 go Oline.....You good with that?

That's kind of completely backwards and suboptimal.  The college game has shifted significantly.  What we are seeing now is top end WR's performing better as rookies than top end OL.  What we are also seeing is WR's hitting the proverbial wall before OL do.  It's fairly common to see top end OL play at a high level into their early-mid 30's.  On the other hand, the only WR in the top 25 in receiving yards over the age of 28 is Cole Beasley.  It's smarter to spend your early draft picks on WR's because they will typically outperform an equivalent OL taken in the same spot.  It's smarter to spend your FA dollars on OL because they are a safer investment to give their second contract due to the trend of them being able to play at a high level longer.  Plus, it's a lot harder to find quality plug and p!ay starters in the draft.

I think most of us agree that if Sewell is there, he's the pick if you don't trade down.  If he isn't there, Chase is far and away the safest pick on the board.  He outproduced Justin Jefferson last year at LSU, and Jefferson is currently sitting 8th in the NFL in receiving yards as a rookie.  We drafted his college QB.  Because of that, we've introduced plays and concepts from the guy's college playbook into ours.  It doesn't get to look any better than that.  

(12-23-2020, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why you want the Jags to go Oline in the 2nd round?

j/k...As I've said: I'll be unhappy if the Bengals go WR at #3OA

The reason i'd be ok with it is it would instantly give them the deep threat they've been missing and there's a familiarity with Chase and Burrow. 

Honestly, picking this high again, it's kind of hard to be disappointed in whoever they take. People have their favorites, sure, but they're going to get some good players regardless. 

As an aside, i'd love to see a pass rusher like Dunlap, who can actually get the QB on the ground at a higher rate. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - Synric - 12-23-2020

Its has potential but it isn't even close compared to last years class. I believe 6 or 7 Offensive Tackles went in the first round of the 2020 draft.

Penei Sewell of course is the favorite but after him its iffy. 

Rashawn Slater has zero length so he fits some teams but not others. You see reports saying he does better straight forward instead of trying to reach block that's a length issue so teams that use heavy zone and run alot of zone stretch like the Rams 49ers Browns Vikings etc. will likely go a different direction.

Christian Darrisaw is probably the best after Sewell because he took a step forward in pass protection in 2020 and was always a solid run blocker.

Sam Cosmi is your typical finesse athletic tackle that you see every year. He is solid in pass pro but gives up ground to bull rushes and isnt a great run blocker.

Liam's Eichenberg is your veteran type. He is technically sound plays and seems to have the base line athleticism to play in the NFL. Reminds me alot of Jonah Williams as a prospect.

Dillon Radunz is the North Dakota State FCS tackle that hasn't played against great competition. His Senior Bowl practices will be very telling. 

Alex Leatherwood is your yearly Alabama tackle. He will get a shot on the edge in the pros but ultimately stiff ankles and hips could force him inside.

Jackson Carman is built and has the athleticism of an NFL caliber tackle and will play great most of the time but then just gets beat out of the blue never fails.

Jalen Mayfield was up and down in 2019 and was injured for most of 2020.

(11-23-2020, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m moving Jonah to RT and not giving it a second thought. Sewell is a generational type talent at LT, and is supposed to be the best OT in like a decade. And yes I’ve seen what PFF said about Jonah. I’m sure he’ll get over being moved to RT for a guy taken 3rd overall.

And RT isn't a demotion. Plenty of teams have their best pass rusher line up at LDE these days. 

RE: Sewell or trade with QB needy teams? - J24 - 12-23-2020

It's also a pretty deep WR class as well. Anyways we need defense more so than offense especially if we lose Lawson and Jackson.

(11-25-2020, 09:42 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: LOL.  Come on, he wasn't considered a generational talent.  The last ones that I can think of that were talked about in the same regard as Sewell:

Walter Jones
Orlando Pace
Jonathan Ogden
Joe Thomas
Chris Samuels

Those were guys that had zero doubts that they were franchise type guys.

Pull up some Greg Robinson college tape and if you don't laugh at the comparisons to Sewell, you're (generally speaking) blind. I'm not saying Robinson wasn't hyped, but he was nowhere near as athletic+strong as Sewell is. Robinson was just big and able to handle college defenders. And he was slowwwwwww. He looked like he was running in quicksand.