Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? (/Thread-I-rather-be-Bengals-Defense-now-than)

Pages: 1 2

I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Essex Johnson - 12-25-2020

I really don;t think our defense since game 8 is being given enough credit especially not having Mixon all games and Burrow last 4 games.

In the last 8 games, they have given up 21 points or less in 5 of the 7 games ( any Dallas was gifted short field in first 3 positions) and given up average of 350 in those games which puts us in top 10 range in yards given up over those 8 games...

After watching some defenses the last few weeks ie Minnesota ( horrible), Raiders, Lions, Falcons, I feel much better about our Defense.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - bfine32 - 12-25-2020

Damn it!! If we keep playing good Defense we'll never fire Lou

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - TheLeonardLeap - 12-25-2020

(12-25-2020, 09:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I really don;t think our defense since game 8 is being given enough credit especially not having Mixon all games and Burrow last 4 games.

In the last 8 games, they have given up 21 points or less in 5 of the 7 games ( any Dallas was gifted short field in first 3 positions) and given up average of 350 in those games which puts us in top 10 range in yards given up over those 8 games...

After watching some defenses the last few weeks ie Minnesota ( horrible), Raiders, Lions, Falcons, I feel much better about our Defense.

Defense has gotten a little better, but I think mostly it has played pretty much right around the level of it's opponents. 

The 6 games they played since Week 8 have teams that average scoring 23.4 points per game. The Bengals allowed 23.5 points per game in that stretch, or +0.1 points per game allowed more than those teams averaged.

The 8 games they played before the Bye have teams that average scoring 25.7 points per game. The Bengals allowed 26.8 points per game in that stretch, or +1.1 points per game allowed more than those teams averaged.

So they have improved about 1 point per game defensively compared to before when looking at what the teams averaged. I think the biggest difference is just that over the last 6 games they got to play 3 NFCE teams (including 2 of the 6 worst non-Bengals offenses).

(12-25-2020, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Damn it!! If we keep playing good Defense we'll never fire Lou

I can't see this getting intolerable quickly as you spray it all over the board.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Essex Johnson - 12-25-2020

(12-25-2020, 11:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Defense has gotten a little better, but I think mostly it has played pretty much right around the level of it's opponents. 

The 6 games they played since Week 8 have teams that average scoring 23.4 points per game. The Bengals allowed 23.5 points per game in that stretch, or +0.1 points per game allowed more than those teams averaged.

The 8 games they played before the Bye have teams that average scoring 25.7 points per game. The Bengals allowed 26.8 points per game in that stretch, or +1.1 points per game allowed more than those teams averaged.

So they have improved about 1 point per game defensively compared to before when looking at what the teams averaged. I think the biggest difference is just that over the last 6 games they got to play 3 NFCE teams (including 2 of the 6 worst non-Bengals offenses).

I can't see this getting intolerable quickly as you spray it all over the board.

Still impressed that the improvement has came with a overall weak offense,  I agree not as strong competition but still a solid job relative to a good number of defenses hopeful for fine two games to move us into middle of pack range for the year.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - bfine32 - 12-26-2020

(12-25-2020, 11:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can't see this getting intolerable quickly as you spray it all over the board.

I hate when things get sprayed all over the board...don't you? 

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - THE PISTONS - 12-26-2020

I'd rather the defense and offense play well in the same game!

Seems like when the offense is bad, the defense is good. And when the offense is good, the defense is bad. Throw in some special teams mistakes sometimes too...and you have a 3.5 win team.

The defense still doesn't generate enough sacks. That's a huge issue.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Essex Johnson - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 01:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd rather the defense and offense play well in the same game!

Seems like when the offense is bad, the defense is good. And when the offense is good, the defense is bad. Throw in some special teams mistakes sometimes too...and you have a 3.5 win team.

The defense still doesn't generate enough sacks. That's a huge issue.

Yep could see us going Defense in 1st round if Sewell is not there, impact LB could really help or trade back a little for Dline 

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - THE PISTONS - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 02:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yep could see us going Defense in 1st round if Sewell is not there, impact LB could really help or trade back a little for Dline 

Parsons is in the 4/5 range. Although, I don't think we need a LB.

So IF Sewell is gone, I'd LOVE to get a Chase or another really fast WR. We need speed at WR. My 1st priority, would be to trade down maybe 2-4 spots and take a WR. Pick up an extra 2nd or future 1st. I guess it depends on how much teams want Fields as to what we get.

Kinda like Florida's TE Pitts too. Although, he's kinda more of a WR/TE hybrid. He could work well in tandem with Sample.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals let Jackson walk and drafted Surtain at CB. I like this move least of all. I'd probably try to keep Jackson and Lawson. I'd love to retain Alexander too, but I don't know. We probably lose 1-2 of those guys.

LB...I'd like Pratt and Wilson out there. They can both cover TE's. I think that's a nice skillset in the modern NFL.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - J24 - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 02:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Parsons is in the 4/5 range. Although, I don't think we need a LB.

So IF Sewell is gone, I'd LOVE to get a Chase or another really fast WR. We need speed at WR. My 1st priority, would be to trade down maybe 2-4 spots and take a WR. Pick up an extra 2nd or future 1st. I guess it depends on how much teams want Fields as to what we get.

Kinda like Florida's TE Pitts too. Although, he's kinda more of a WR/TE hybrid. He could work well in tandem with Sample.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals let Jackson walk and drafted Surtain at CB. I like this move least of all. I'd probably try to keep Jackson and Lawson. I'd love to retain Alexander too, but I don't know. We probably lose 1-2 of those guys.

LB...I'd like Pratt and Wilson out there. They can both cover TE's. I think that's a nice skillset in the modern NFL.
There going to lose all three of Lawson, Jackson, and  Alexander. 

To me Alexander is a non issue because Phillips is a natural Nickle and I would say is a better playmaker than Alexander ( I think Alexander is a good player but replaceable.

Jackson is gone some team is going to offer him big $ in the off-season.

Lawson should be tagged but this front office doesn't do that a whole lot. To me though you trade him for a 2nd RD pick or multiple thirds(if tagged).  I don't think a long term contract is in his future here.

If they sign both Lawson & Jackson that opens up the draft but if not Edge and CB jump to #1 and #2 on the list.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 03:05 AM)J24 Wrote: There going to lose all three of Lawson, Jackson, and  Alexander. 

To me Alexander is a non issue because Phillips is a natural Nickle and I would say is a better playmaker than Alexander ( I think Alexander is a good player but replaceable.

Lawson should be tagged but this front office doesn't do that a whole lot. To me though you trade him for a 2nd RD pick or multiple thirds(if tagged).  I don't think a long term contract is in his future here.

If they sign both Lawson & Jackson that opens up the draft but if not Edge and CB jump to #1 and #2 on the list.

We typically keep our good players. At least for a 2nd contract. I’d be very surprised to see WJ3 and Lawson leave. I’m hoping we at least sign the latter.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Sled21 - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 03:05 AM)J24 Wrote: There going to lose all three of Lawson, Jackson, and  Alexander. 

I'd venture to say there is more chance they sign Alexander than there is Jackson. Jackson will generate more interest from other teams.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Yojimbo - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 05:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We typically keep our good players. At least for a 2nd contract. I’d be very surprised to see WJ3 and Lawson leave. I’m hoping we at least sign the latter.

It’s not just the team’s choice if they stay or go, unless they tag. I haven’t seen any rumors or rumblings on what Lawson is planning, but I have seen a rumor on Jackson that he has no intention of returning to the Bengals.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Nicomo Cosca - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 12:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It’s not just the team’s choice if they stay or go, unless they tag. I haven’t seen any rumors or rumblings on what Lawson is planning, but I have seen a rumor on Jackson that he has no intention of returning to the Bengals.

Fine with me. Lawson should be the priority anyway.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - samhain - 12-26-2020

Alexander is a much more physical player than Phillips and a better tackler.  That's why the signed him.  I agree about Phillips as a player, but I could easily see them using him on the boundary, or at least giving him a shot at it if Jackson leaves and they don't find a high-level replacement in FA or the draft. 

I believe Lawson will be here next year, either on the tag or re-signed long term.  He was one of the few defenders of Anarumo when things started melting down, and I think the staff and ownership will value him quite a bit.  

People (not saying you) keep behaving like the Bengals just can't afford to keep expensive FAs or sign outside ones.  This is as far from true as it gets.  This team has a metric shit ton of freed up cash after the season, and likely more when guys like Geno and Hart are let go.  What seems more likely: Bengals let WJ3, Lawson, and Mac all walk and spend a fat stack of cash on outside FAs, or Bengals pay big money to an in-house guy and spend moderately on outside help?  I know which one I think is more likely.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Fan_in_Kettering - 12-26-2020

Allowing over 25 points per game is not a good defense on any scale yet that is where we are. If you look at the postgame statistics you’ll see why: Most weeks the leaders in tackles are from the secondary; on good teams most tackles are made by linemen or linebackers. This means the defensive line is getting owned, period.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Sled21 - 12-26-2020

(12-26-2020, 12:29 PM)samhain Wrote: Alexander is a much more physical player than Phillips and a better tackler.  That's why the signed him.  I agree about Phillips as a player, but I could easily see them using him on the boundary, or at least giving him a shot at it if Jackson leaves and they don't find a high-level replacement in FA or the draft. 

I believe Lawson will be here next year, either on the tag or re-signed long term.  He was one of the few defenders of Anarumo when things started melting down, and I think the staff and ownership will value him quite a bit.  

People (not saying you) keep behaving like the Bengals just can't afford to keep expensive FAs or sign outside ones.  This is as far from true as it gets.  This team has a metric shit ton of freed up cash after the season, and likely more when guys like Geno and Hart are let go.  What seems more likely: Bengals let WJ3, Lawson, and Mac all walk and spend a fat stack of cash on outside FAs, or Bengals pay big money to an in-house guy and spend moderately on outside help?  I know which one I think is more likely.

I think they resign or tag Lawson, and offer Alexander a new deal. They brought him in as a package to play with Waynes, who has not seen the field yet. Waynes should be healthy and good to go next season, making giving Jackson a huge deal not as likely.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Synric - 12-26-2020

Darius Phillips has been much better as a field/boundary corner than a nickle. Also he has to prove he can stay healthy because he has missed alot of time over his first 3 years. I like Phillips as a player and I believe he could be a really good corner but right now you cannot depend on him.

(12-26-2020, 12:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think they resign or tag Lawson, and offer Alexander a new deal. They brought him in as a package to play with Waynes, who has not seen the field yet. Waynes should be healthy and good to go next season, making giving Jackson a huge deal not as likely.

Yeah, this is the most likely outcome.  I think Alexander has been a big part of the defensive resurgence.  He's a fierce player and as I said before, loves to tackle unlike a lot of corners.  I feel like a secondary with Bates and Bell plus Alexander in the nickel has a chance to be good.  If Waynes is healthy and solid, you might be able to get away with not having a first rounder or high dollar signing at the other boundary spot.

RE: I rather be Bengals Defense now than? - Okeana - 12-26-2020

(12-25-2020, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Damn it!! If we keep playing good Defense we'll never fire Lou

if their playing good defense maybe they shouldn't fire lou ?

(12-26-2020, 12:36 PM)Synric Wrote: Darius Phillips has been much better as a field/boundary corner than a nickle. Also he has to prove he can stay healthy because he has missed alot of time over his first 3 years. I like Phillips as a player and I believe he could be a really good corner but right now you cannot depend on him.

I'm more impressed with Darius than not when he actually plays.  He seems to be more sound in coverage than at the end of last year when he was a big-play-or-nothing  kind of corner.  If he can stay on the field, I think he deserves a shot.  

It's going to be a rough year to need a starting corner in FA or the draft.  That means WJ3 will get paid and replacing him will be expensive.  I'm not a massive fan of any of the early round projected corners, either.  It's a perfect time for Phillips to step up and claim his spot.  It would be found money.