Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coaching props and rants! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Coaching props and rants! (/Thread-Coaching-props-and-rants)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: A little coaching props... - lone bengal - 09-27-2021

Lou has been doing a great job. Great win happy we beat Pittsburgh still not sold on Taylor tho I’m looking at the big picture. The defense is light years ahead of where I’d thought they’d be we have Burrow on a rookie contract the time to strike is the next few years we desperately need Taylor to be the guy. I thought his play calling was better but I still don’t think it was great or super creativity. Mixon has his longest run of the day like 18 yards to midfield. 1st and 10 they run Mixon for 1 yard then Perine on 2nd and 9 up the middle for no gain ! That play calling is a drive killer , the 2nd and long Perine up the middle play needs to be banded from the playbook. 1st down would have been a great time to play action pass nothing crazy something over the top for 7-8 yards then you got a 2nd and short with 2 plays to gain a few yards that’s when you can run it.

RE: A little coaching props... - grampahol - 09-27-2021

At least Zac isn't the guy who will want to punt from the other teams 20 yard line on 4th and inches. It always felt like Marv wanted to or kick a FG down by 4 with seconds left in the game  ..

RE: A little coaching props... - XenoMorph - 09-27-2021

probly the best game in the last 3 years yesterday...

Lets see them string 2 together now.

RE: A little coaching props... - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-27-2021

(09-27-2021, 09:09 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Lou has been doing a great job. Great win happy we beat Pittsburgh still not sold on Taylor tho I’m looking at the big picture. The defense is light years ahead of where I’d thought they’d be we have Burrow on a rookie contract the time to strike is the next few years we desperately need Taylor to be the guy. I thought his play calling was better but I still don’t think it was great or super creativity. Mixon has his longest run of the day like 18 yards to midfield. 1st and 10 they run Mixon for 1 yard then Perine on 2nd and 9 up the middle for no gain ! That play calling is a drive killer , the 2nd and long Perine up the middle play needs to be banded from the playbook. 1st down would have been a great time to play action pass nothing crazy something over the top for 7-8 yards then you got a 2nd and short with 2 plays to gain a few yards that’s when you can run it.

Agreed. The one thing I DO like about that is it seems he will no longer abandon the run. Even the announcers talked about that. 

RE: A little coaching props... - lone bengal - 09-27-2021

(09-27-2021, 11:17 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Agreed. The one thing I DO like about that is it seems he will no longer abandon the run. Even the announcers talked about that. 

Agreed I’m good with not giving up on the run I just feel like Zac is so robotic and simple with his play calling. We get a good run and Zac’s like ok let’s call all run plays till they stop it versus mixing it up and using play action to are advantage by keeping the defense on its toes. Plus just because the defense gives you a light box dosen’t mean you have to run it every time and play into what the defense wants you to do which is take the ball out of Burrows hands. Taylor’s gotta use common sense it’s 2nd and 9 give your best player Burrow 2 plays to get 9 yards versus putting the ball in Perine‘s hands. Mcvay is a fun to watch as a play caller I just don’t see what Zac learned from him or what he does well.

RE: A little coaching props... - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-27-2021

(09-27-2021, 12:22 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agreed I’m good with not giving up on the run I just feel like Zac is so robotic and simple with his play calling. We get a good run and Zac’s like ok let’s call all run plays till they stop it versus mixing it up and using play action to are  advantage by keeping the defense on its toes. Plus just because the defense gives you a light box dosen’t mean you have to run it every time and play into what the defense wants you to do which is take the ball out of Burrows hands. Taylor’s gotta use common sense it’s 2nd and 9 give your best player Burrow 2 plays to get 9 yards versus putting the ball in Perine‘s hands. Mcvay is a fun to watch as a play caller I just don’t see what Zac learned from him or what he does well.

It's like he learns in increments....lol. Personally, I'd like to see him give up playcalling and stick with more traditional HC duties. It seems the players like him for the most part, and play hard for him. They've done a pretty good job of flipping the roster so far, even though there's still some work to be done. I like the type of people they have targeted to fill the roster. There are definitely some head scratching calls at times though. 

RE: A little coaching props... - SuperBowlBound! - 09-27-2021

Zac/Lou and Tobin have done a terrific job of rebuilding this roster.
It bet it is not complete yet, but they have really changed the culture to something I have not seen for in a long time here.

They won by 14.
I am sure there is a lot that goes into play calling than what is the next play.
There are probably plays he may not want to use unless he absolutely needs to.
The less that is on tape the less the next team can prepare for.

RE: A little coaching props... - PhilHos - 09-28-2021

(09-27-2021, 05:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's like he learns in increments....lol. Personally, I'd like to see him give up playcalling and stick with more traditional HC duties. It seems the players like him for the most part, and play hard for him. They've done a pretty good job of flipping the roster so far, even though there's still some work to be done. I like the type of people they have targeted to fill the roster. There are definitely some head scratching calls at times though. 

That's what I've said about Zac since the end of his first year. I think he has the makings of being a good HC (not saying he's one right now, mind you) for the reasons you've said but unless he has a Lou-like turnaround in offense the rest of this season, then it's clear he's just not a good OC. 

RE: A little coaching props... - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-28-2021

(09-28-2021, 09:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's what I've said about Zac since the end of his first year. I think he has the makings of being a good HC (not saying he's one right now, mind you) for the reasons you've said but unless he has a Lou-like turnaround in offense the rest of this season, then it's clear he's just not a good OC. 

Absolutely agree.

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - THE Bigzoman - 10-03-2021

Lions figuring out Lamar but not being able to stop Chicago is also Zac's fault.

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - grampahol - 10-11-2021

Zacs fault I f**ked up my hand with a slide hammer yesterday..then missed the game whilst in the ER..

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - Awful Llama - 10-11-2021

It's actually Zac's fault that you're turning into your parents.

[Image: progressive-parents-cell-phone-coach-2020-600x315.jpg]

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - Tony - 10-11-2021

The Media is shitting all over Zac for that 3rd and 5 run at the end of the 4th quarter... That should get him fired alone. I don't understand what the **** he was thinking. Apparently no one in sports media understood it either...

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - XenoMorph - 10-11-2021

(10-11-2021, 01:54 PM)Tony Wrote: The Media is shitting all over Zac for that 3rd and 5 run at the end of the 4th quarter... That should get him fired alone. I don't understand what the **** he was thinking. Apparently no one in sports media understood it either...

In this day and age thinking is overrated

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - grampahol - 10-11-2021

(10-11-2021, 11:17 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: It's actually Zac's fault that you're turning into your parents.

[Image: progressive-parents-cell-phone-coach-2020-600x315.jpg]
I'm not turning into my parents.. First off I can't be two people at once, my mother was born a female 32 years before I was born and my dad 30 years before and both are dead..

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - PhilHos - 10-12-2021

(10-11-2021, 01:54 PM)Tony Wrote: The Media is shitting all over Zac for that 3rd and 5 run at the end of the 4th quarter... That should get him fired alone. I don't understand what the **** he was thinking. Apparently no one in sports media understood it either...

Then, no offense, you and the media are idiots. Clearly, Zac felt comfortable enough to kick a long FG, so he decided a run would be best, because even if it didn't pick up the first down, it takes time off the clock and forces GB to use a timeout (their last timeout, too, I believe) and less chance of a turnover; an incomplete pass stops the clock and a pass in general in that situation has a greater chance of getting intercepted.

Now, disagree with Zac's decision all you want, but it's not a decision that requires a great deal of thought to understand unless thinking is something you find difficult.

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - impactplaya - 10-12-2021

(10-12-2021, 08:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Then, no offense, you and the media are idiots. Clearly, Zac felt comfortable enough to kick a long FG, so he decided a run would be best, because even if it didn't pick up the first down, it takes time off the clock and forces GB to use a timeout (their last timeout, too, I believe) and less chance of a turnover; an incomplete pass stops the clock and a pass in general in that situation has a greater chance of getting intercepted.

Now, disagree with Zac's decision all you want, but it's not a decision that requires a great deal of thought to understand unless thinking is something you find difficult.

Thats called coaching scared. And Zac is good at it.
The Packers sold out for the run.
The better play call would be putting JB under center
Double TE set
Put it in the stomach of the rb to look like a run to the left.
Then have JB roll to the backside. 
Drag C J on a shallow cross and have Chase run 
A deep out or a go route to clear out the CB  on that side.if CJ isnt open, then Joe can keep it.
By that time the LBers have made a false step
On the fake and JB can slide for the 1st if C.J isnt open.

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - Awful Llama - 10-12-2021

(10-11-2021, 10:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm not turning into my parents.. First off I can't be two people at once, my mother was born a female 32 years before I was born and my dad 30 years before and both are dead..

[Image: GIF-Conceding-Lumbergh-Office-Office-Spa...en-GIF.gif]

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - THE Bigzoman - 10-15-2021

I'm more confused why he trotted McMoney out for a long field goal instead of going for it. Even if McMoney makes that, you give AAron Rodgers enough time to make some plays and come out in a game-winning drive. If  you're going to change field position anyway regardless of wheter you miss a FG or not make the 4th down, you pick the opition that allows you to take away more time from Rodgers if you're successful (go for it on 4th down).

Other than that, Zac put them in a spot to win. People just didn't execute. Tee Higgins dropping that EZ clap catch comes to mind.

RE: Things that are Zac's fault - Awful Llama - 10-15-2021

It's Zac's fault we have those annoying shingles commercials.

[Image: 0.jpg]