Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Would you trade Burrow for Watson (/Thread-Would-you-trade-Burrow-for-Watson)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Destro - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: LA was just trying to get rid of the contract; similar to what the Texans did with Oswielter a few years ago. They were at a point where they were starting a dude from the Alliance of American Football over him. Although the cap savings is only about $11 Mil, they have options with Stafford including releasing him. They can also restructure and give him another year. They had no such options with Goff

Also, the Rams are not a team that builds through the draft. The last time they had a first rd draft pick was 2016. Ironically enough, they drafted Goff.  

if anybody's getting (got) fired it was the dude that gave Goff his contract.

LA wanting to dump Goff or his contract isn't the issue. That can be done. Dumping all those draft picks along with it does not seem worth it. 32 years old and hasn't played healthy. ( Is he Green at a different position ?) If Stafford doesn't deliver, you've already dumped draft capital for the next few years, from your playoff team, to right the ship. Stafford HAS to win to make it worth it. All the eggs are in that basket.

If Detroit doesn't win, no one will notice because they tend to lose. Goff stinks it up, yet they still have all of their picks and LA's picks to continue to build the team. Goff isn't the only thing they have to bank on. They have several other options.

If giving Goff the contract was bad, so can this deal to get Stafford. Caught the lawn on fire and used a bucket of gas to put it out. 

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bfine32 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 01:05 PM)Destro Wrote: LA wanting to dump Goff or his contract isn't the issue. That can be done. Dumping all those draft picks along with it does not seem worth it. 32 years old and hasn't played a full season in a few years. ( Is he Green at a different position ?) If Stafford doesn't deliver, you've already dumped draft capital for the next few years, from your playoff team, to right the ship. Stafford HAS to win to make it worth it. All the eggs are in that basket.

If Detroit doesn't win, no one will notice because they tend to lose. Goff stinks it up, yet they still have all of their picks and LA's picks to continue to build the team. Goff isn't the only thing they have to bank on. They have several other options.

If giving Goff the contract was bad, so can this deal to get Stafford. Caught the lawn on fire and used a bucket of gas to put it out. 

They couldn't just "dump" Goff. He's a $42 MIL cap hit. They had to give compensation to someone to take him. Also a Rams first rd draft pick is quit late in the round. If Stafford performs as capable; there's a good chance that 2022 pick will be #32

As I mentioned: It is similar to what Texans did with Oswilier in 2017.....and now for the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...Guess who the Texans drafted to be their QB the year they got rid of Oswiler.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Destro - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They couldn't just "dump" Goff. He's a $42 MIL cap hit. They had to give compensation to someone to take him. Also a Rams first rd draft pick is quit late in the round. If Stafford performs as capable; there's a good chance that 2022 pick will be #32

I just said they wanted to. As in they did have options. As hard to swallow, it could be done without throwing away some future. high round picks. Not going to be #32, for sure. And it is multiple years. And while 1st round picks are no guarantee, having two versus having none is a no-brainer. Stafford is a big "IF." Where Goff is a maybe and if he isn't the one, the rebuild is in, and he will be a bridge until the picks happen. LA could lose on the deal in year one. Might not know about Detroit until all the draft picks come to fruition. Don't think anyone can make an argument Detroit has lost out on this.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Luvnit2 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They couldn't just "dump" Goff. He's a $42 MIL cap hit. They had to give compensation to someone to take him. Also a Rams first rd draft pick is quit late in the round. If Stafford performs as capable; there's a good chance that 2022 pick will be #32

As I mentioned: It is similar to what Texans did with Oswilier in 2017.....and now for the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...Guess who the Texans drafted to be their QB the year they got rid of Oswiler.

If I am Stafford, I am pissed. The guy they just traded away to upgrade makes a lot more money than Stafford.

I would demand the Rams upgrade his contract if I was his agent, or I would not show up until end of training camp (not look at play book or do anything until a better deal for my client was done).

Oh, I get they took on a lot of Goff's contract, but both teams have a ton of dead money in 2021, a year cap may go down. I also think the Rams gave away the farm, but I do applaud their all in approach which it appear Bengals fans will never see in the immediate future.

Some experts are saying Lions still in play to get a top 2 or 3 QB in the draft, so they have a lot of capital to move up to #2 - #5 if they see that guy available,

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - jason - 01-31-2021

I think Brock Osweiler is very underrated ... He's the only man who could shut down Deandre Hopkins.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Stewy - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 06:09 AM)PDub80 Wrote: That has to be the worst trade in 30 years.

Stafford is 32. Two 1sts, a 3rd, & Goff is absurd.

I have to agree.  

Firstly - Stafford is not all that good and has neve been clutch.
Secondly - he's 32.
Thirdly - the price is ridiculous

I'm not the biggest Deshaun Watson fan and never have been, but I'd take him all day over Stafford.  The ante for a DW deal just went up to 6-8 First round picks....

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Bengalitis - 01-31-2021

And yet... we couldn't even trade AJ for anything. So sad.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bfine32 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 02:58 PM)Stewy Wrote: I have to agree.  

Firstly - Stafford is not all that good and has neve been clutch.
Secondly - he's 32.
Thirdly - the price is ridiculous

I'm not the biggest Deshaun Watson fan and never have been, but I'd take him all day over Stafford.  The ante for a DW deal just went up to 6-8 First round picks....

...or DW and a couple 1st rounders for Joe

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Stewy - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 04:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...or DW and a couple 1st rounders for Joe

haha - I don't think the rest of the league sees Joe the same way we do......regardless, Houston doesn't have any 1st or 2nd round picks until  2022, due to Bill O'Brians GM antics of the past couple years.  They also haven't had a 1st round pick since 2019.  They've not only traded their best players away but also have no draft capitol because of poor deals for (mostly) bad players.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - TSwigZ - 02-01-2021

Joey B TO THE MOON

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Nicomo Cosca - 02-01-2021

Have 150 people ever agreed on anything on this board? This has to be some sort of record.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Nately120 - 02-01-2021

(01-31-2021, 10:40 PM)Stewy Wrote: haha - I don't think the rest of the league sees Joe the same way we do......r

Well, if we aren't over the moon about the kid who would be?  And while I always point out that Joe Burrow is awesome and the best and he could/should be the best Bengals QB ever before I make any sort of critique on him, it is interesting to see how quickly teams are moving on from QBs and/or regretting giving them big contracts.

Daniel Jones and Drew Lock could be on their last chance years already, and Haskins has already busted his way into being a reclamation project

Josh Rosen is an obvious mess of a pick now that he's already on his 3rd team and hasn't played meaningful football in the NFL
Sam Darnold is a prime candidate to get a change of scenery
Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson have all done stuff...but they could still pull a Goff and get paid way too much and then cripple the team

Trubisky is a bust, at least in Chicago
Watson wants out of Houston

The Rams traded a bunch to move up to get Goff at #1 and then traded a bunch to get rid of him and his bloated contract
Wentz has already caused people to get fired due to his decline and supposed inability to get along with a SB winning HC
Paxton Lynch was in the NFL for about 10 minutes before people realized he wasn't any good
Hackenberg was taken in the 2nd round and also declared to be "not good at football" rather quickly
Cardale Jones went from being the 1st overall "Fail for Cardale" to god knows what...was he in the XFL or AAF?  

Winston and Mariotta went #1 and #2 and neither made it to year 5 with the teams that took 'em

Ok, that's enough.  My point is that in the past 5 years it looks like a lot of QBs taken high were either flat out busts, or good enough to get a contract that turned into a major headache.  I reckon this is why multiple 1st rounders for Watson, a player who was 1st in multiple passing categories and top 10 in others in 2020 is worth the chance to take multiple QBs who will make you ill.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Tony - 02-01-2021

(01-31-2021, 10:40 PM)Stewy Wrote: haha - I don't think the rest of the league sees Joe the same way we do......regardless, Houston doesn't have any 1st or 2nd round picks until  2022, due to Bill O'Brians GM antics of the past couple years.  They also haven't had a 1st round pick since 2019.  They've not only traded their best players away but also have no draft capitol because of poor deals for (mostly) bad players.
I dont think the experts could have put Joe over anymore. Comparing him to Brady... I'd say they do see him like we do.. Alot of people are just that high o  Joe. We finally have a top guy here...

(02-01-2021, 10:29 PM)Tony Wrote: I dont think the experts could have put Joe over anymore. Comparing him to Brady... I'd say they do see him like we do.. Alot of people are just that high o  Joe. We finally have a top guy here...

Yeah, no doubt. The talking heads fawn all over Burrow. And rightly so.

(02-01-2021, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, no doubt. The talking heads fawn all over Burrow. And rightly so.

I even see them picking him the best out of Burrow, Tua and Herbert still. Even after the injury...

Joe has that killer mentality. If there is a guy that can help turn this franchise around on his drive and determination alone, It's Joe... I love that he hates to lose. He just has that it factor, that so few have. It's different in all the ones that have it too.

(02-01-2021, 10:40 PM)Tony Wrote: I even see them picking him the best out of Burrow, Tua and Herbert still. Even after the injury...

I mean, Herbert is obviously a stud, but I think Burrow’s game is more sustainable. And if Joe does add the deep ball to his repertoire look out.

Tua is meh.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - grampahol - 02-02-2021

When i first saw title of this thread I thought, Here's my chance to be the winner of the one legged man ass kicking contest, but I soon realized I'd have to drop out because I'm just not willing to put in all the hard work of a leg amputation to get all the glory.. 

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Luvnit2 - 02-02-2021

(02-01-2021, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, no doubt. The talking heads fawn all over Burrow. And rightly so.

They do and his accuracy over 35 yards was bad. I fully expect him to start making accurate deep throws in 2021 just as he did in college. This alone makes him equal to better than Watson long term without the huge contract for at least 3 more years if we choose.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Cicero - 02-02-2021

No. Burrow is our guy for the next decade. He will be better than Watson and just about any other QB over that time. He is above average as a passer but the intangibles he brings are off the charts good.