Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Would you trade Burrow for Watson (/Thread-Would-you-trade-Burrow-for-Watson)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Nicomo Cosca - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 11:45 AM)Headless Horseman Wrote: LOL right, oh shit wait, Brady just won a Super Bowl. #7. Yeah, definitely taking a mediocre 4 win QB over Mr. Superbowl Sunday. 

Meanwhile Mayfield elevated his team to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years and won their first playoff game since 1994 but yeah, Cleveland would trade the **** out of him for a mediocre 4 win QB with a shit  attitude. 

Meanwhile, back in the real World......

You seem very stuck on the 4 win season, and I don’t know why I’m even feeding an obvious troll attempt, but you realize Watson has a winning record as a starter right?

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Wes Mantooth - 02-10-2021

I think it's very interesting to look at the timeline that lead to Watson wanting out.  I think it's clear that this guy really shouldn't have that much to compain about.

He signed his deal on Sept. 5th of this past year.  This was AFTER Deandre Hopkins was traded.  This was AFTER the Texans had traded off a number of draft picks.  The roster, as it currently stands, was completely in place.

So what exactly has changed since he signed his deal?  What can we actually point to that may be influencing his decision to demand a trade?

They replaced their GM, who was Bill O'Brien, with Nick Caserio, who came over from the Patriots where he served as Director of Player Personnel from 2008-2020.

They replaced their coach, who was Bill O'Brien, with David Culley, who came over from the Ravens where he served as Assistant Head Coach, Passing Game Coordinator, and Wide Receivers coach.

I don't think ANYONE can argue that the Texans GM and HC positions have now gotten worse.  In fact, I think you can argue they look to be vastly improved (Bill O'Brien was a terrible GM and a middling HC.  Caserio is a proven front office commodity, and Culley could be a really nice hire.  Both come from successful and winning organizations)

Of course, time will tell.  These are not guaranteed to be upgrades, nor are they guaranteed any specific level of success.  But the point is, there is no way you can look at the loss of Bill O'Brien, nor the quality of the replacements for his respective roles, as a reason to decide you now want out.

So what does this really all boil down to?  We all know the answer.  This man, who just accepted a 177 million dollar deal 5 months ago, wanted a say in picking his GM and Head Coach.  It has nothing to do with the loss of Bill O'Brien, nor the state of the roster.  Deshaun Watson felt like he should have input on building out the front office.

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely nuts?  Selfish?  Diva-ish?  Absurd?

This is an absolute joke.  Had he really be that concerned with playing somewhere else he never accepts that deal in the first place.  they already picked up his 5th year option and 2021 was due to be his last year.  He could have played the same cards he is playing now and demanded a trade going into an option year.

But no, that didn't happen.  This man took his signing bonus and now is crying because he doesn't get to pick his GM.  This is not a good precident for the league at all.

To not even give these new guys a chance, and to see what they do in the offseason is so unfair.  Had this been years into the extension I would understand.  But to take the money and run, months in, is total bullshit.  **** Deshaun Watson.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Nately120 - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 12:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Am I the only one that finds this absolutely nuts?  Selfish?  Diva-ish?  Absurd?

It's not nuts, but the main thing I take away from it is that people who are good at their jobs are able to get good jobs elsewhere if they think they have the sway to do so.  Maybe there is more to this than we know, or maybe Watson is just an unreasonable person...either way, the Texans can probably trade him for a haul of picks or they can sit on him like we did with Palmer.  And maybe unlike the Bengals and Palmer no one gives them enough to make them want to give in and Watson either crawls back to the Texans or he retires in his prime at 25.

I get it, the guy got paid and now he's mad and he should just play the contract out and we can accuse him of just being in it for a paycheck and not caring if the organization sucks.  At any rate, it'll be interesting to see how amenable Burrow is to signing here...but I don't think a QB who bails on the team who drafted him to cash in elsewhere at his first opportunity is seen too favorably, either.  

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bfine32 - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 12:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think it's very interesting to look at the timeline that lead to Watson wanting out.  I think it's clear that this guy really shouldn't have that much to compain about.

He signed his deal on Sept. 5th of this past year.  This was AFTER Deandre Hopkins was traded.  This was AFTER the Texans had traded off a number of draft picks.  The roster, as it currently stands, was completely in place.

So what exactly has changed since he signed his deal?  What can we actually point to that may be influencing his decision to demand a trade?

They replaced their GM, who was Bill O'Brien, with Nick Caserio, who came over from the Patriots where he served as Director of Player Personnel from 2008-2020.

They replaced their coach, who was Bill O'Brien, with David Culley, who came over from the Ravens where he served as Assistant Head Coach, Passing Game Coordinator, and Wide Receivers coach.

I don't think ANYONE can argue that the Texans GM and HC positions have now gotten worse.  In fact, I think you can argue they look to be vastly improved (Bill O'Brien was a terrible GM and a middling HC.  Caserio is a proven front office commodity, and Culley could be a really nice hire.  Both come from successful and winning organizations)

Of course, time will tell.  These are not guaranteed to be upgrades, nor are they guaranteed any specific level of success.  But the point is, there is no way you can look at the loss of Bill O'Brien, nor the quality of the replacements for his respective roles, as a reason to decide you now want out.

So what does this really all boil down to?  We all know the answer.  This man, who just accepted a 177 million dollar deal 5 months ago, wanted a say in picking his GM and Head Coach.  It has nothing to do with the loss of Bill O'Brien, nor the state of the roster.  Deshaun Watson felt like he should have input on building out the front office.

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely nuts?  Selfish?  Diva-ish?  Absurd?

This is an absolute joke.  Had he really be that concerned with playing somewhere else he never accepts that deal in the first place.  they already picked up his 5th year option and 2021 was due to be his last year.  He could have played the same cards he is playing now and demanded a trade going into an option year.

But no, that didn't happen.  This man took his signing bonus and now is crying because he doesn't get to pick his GM.  This is not a good precident for the league at all.

To not even give these new guys a chance, and to see what they do in the offseason is so unfair.  Had this been years into the extension I would understand.  But to take the money and run, months in, is total bullshit.  **** Deshaun Watson.
What has Deshaun Watson publicly said about the situation?

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - jason - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 10:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes he played out of his mind and won 4 games.  That's why he wants out of Houston.  Also, Burrow won 2 games.  You'd rather have Trubisky or Tua than Burrow?

Apparently.... Hey did you see Baker Mayfield elevate the Browns to the playoffs by handing the ball off to Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt?

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bfine32 - 02-10-2021

There are only 2 QBs I'd trade Burrow for and It's damn sure not Brady or Mayfield

(02-10-2021, 02:25 PM)jason Wrote: Apparently.... Hey did you see Baker Mayfield elevate the Browns to the playoffs by handing the ball off to Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt?

Ehh, Mayfield isn't bad.  I don't see them winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh with Kase Keenum under center.  At any rate, football is a team game but it sure helps if your QB can not blow it.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - XenoMorph - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 02:25 PM)jason Wrote: Apparently.... Hey did you see Baker Mayfield elevate the Browns to the playoffs by handing the ball off to Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt?

saw him complete a record number of passes in a row....

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Murdock2420 - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 12:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: To not even give these new guys a chance, and to see what they do in the offseason is so unfair.  Had this been years into the extension I would understand.  But to take the money and run, months in, is total bullshit.  **** Deshaun Watson.

So I didn't quote the whole thing just to avoid a giant wall of text in quote. 

But, the biggest thing I will state here is none of us have any idea what went on behind the scenes to lead to this decision.

Maybe Watson and Watt were promised things like Palmer was, and see that they were empty promises. If you signed a long term deal to stay at a place on the acceptance of certain promises from ownership and then they just did nothing, would you be happy and sit there? I mean maybe you would.. but what if you were 1 of 32 guys that does the job and one of the top 5 at the job. Far less likely to sit and tolerate any lies or bullshit. 

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - XenoMorph - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021, 12:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think it's very interesting to look at the timeline that lead to Watson wanting out.  I think it's clear that this guy really shouldn't have that much to compain about.

well when you put it that way.. .lol.  I agree 100%

players do things like this cause they see it work for other players.  he could threaten to sit but i imagine that would have some legal and monetary problems that come with it.
Fun thing with that contract he signed he takes away from his Help he wants....

(02-10-2021, 03:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: saw him complete a record number of passes in a row....

Against us? Cause he seems to compile a lot of numbers against the Bengals. Like we suck on the defensive side or something.

(02-10-2021, 02:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, Mayfield isn't bad.  I don't see them winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh with Kase Keenum under center.  At any rate, football is a team game but it sure helps if your QB can not blow it.

Checks his notes....

Yep. Says here that a team quarterbacked by Ryan Finley beat that same Steelers team only weeks before. I think Case could've held his own. But I agree... Baker's not a bad game manager.

(02-10-2021, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What has Deshaun Watson publicly said about the situation?

I don't think I've heard him speak publicly on it. It's like the Texans put it out there. The guy must be a complete jerk to want outta that situation.

(02-10-2021, 06:48 PM)jason Wrote: Checks his notes....

Yep. Says here that a team quarterbacked by Ryan Finley beat that same Steelers team only weeks before. I think Case could've held his own. But I agree... Baker's not a bad game manager.

I'm not worshipping at the altar of Baker, but winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh on his first try?  Hell, unless he threw 6 INTs what Bengals fan could sneeze at that?

(02-10-2021, 06:51 PM)jason Wrote: I don't think I've heard him speak publicly on it. It's like the Texans put it out there. The guy must be a complete jerk to want outta that situation.

Is it so wild to think franchise QBs should/could have a say in how a franchise is run?  We are 30 years into the Mike Brown era and have 0 playoff wins but we are pretty damn sure we're winning it all for the first time in over 50 years of trying for one reason...Joe Burrow.  Franchise QBs change everything, so maybe they should have more sway and say in things.  Just a notion.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - bengalfan74 - 02-11-2021

(02-10-2021, 07:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not worshipping at the altar of Baker, but winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh on his first try?  Hell, unless he threw 6 INTs what Bengals fan could sneeze at that?

Is it so wild to think franchise QBs should/could have a say in how a franchise is run?  We are 30 years into the Mike Brown era and have 0 playoff wins but we are pretty damn sure we're winning it all for the first time in over 50 years of trying for one reason...Joe Burrow.  Franchise QBs change everything, so maybe they should have more sway and say in things.  Just a notion.

Yep I believe one of the "issues" back when this thing started was they told Watson he was gonna have a voice in some team decisions, then he didn't. 

Now whether Watson has ever said that in public ? I'm not sure ?

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - rfaulk34 - 02-11-2021

(02-09-2021, 10:48 PM)Headless Horseman Wrote: Now keep in mind Toasty used to run around saying Palmer was better than Tom Brady, so....

Anyways, neither DeShaun Romos floor or ceiling are very high. He is a media creation..

[Image: d9d.gif]

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 02-11-2021

(02-10-2021, 02:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, Mayfield isn't bad.  I don't see them winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh with Kase Keenum under center.  At any rate, football is a team game but it sure helps if your QB can not blow it.

Mayfield is okay, he's just in a fantastic situation. I think he should be better than he was considering his pedigree. He's also a major diva QB, but if they keep on winning we probably won't see much of that.

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Nately120 - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 01:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep I believe one of the "issues" back when this thing started was they told Watson he was gonna have a voice in some team decisions, then he didn't. 

Now whether Watson has ever said that in public ? I'm not sure ?

Seeing Easterby's stand up comedy preaching has me convinced Watson is in the right to want out. 

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - Nicomo Cosca - 03-18-2021

Any of the 11 want to change their votes now?

RE: Would you trade Burrow for Watson - PDub80 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 08:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Any of the 11 want to change their votes now?

Ol' Bobby Kraft will trade Cam Newton for him. That way, he & Desaun can share on flight costs of their sex trade slaves. Win win.