Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? (/Thread-Opinion-DeSantis-2024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Wes Mantooth - 02-24-2021

(02-24-2021, 06:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Florida population:

353.4 people per square mile

In terms of population densityFlorida has a surface area of 65,755 square miles (170,304 square kilometers). Based on estimates, that equates to 353.4 people per square mile, (136.4 per square kilometer) and that makes it the eighth most densely populated state in the US.

New York Population:

27,000 people per square mile

New York has the highest population density of any major city in the United States, with over 27,000 people per square mile. Over 3 million of New York City's residents are foreign-born; over one-quarter arrived in 2000 or later. Nearly 2 million New Yorkers are under the age of 18.

Did you just compare an entire state to a city?  (I'm honestly not sure, maybe I'm reading this wrong)

His point was that, while Florida has areas that aren't as densely populated, they do have heavily populated cities that make up the majorty of their population.  In order: Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersberg, Hialeah.  All in the top 100 in the US in terms of most populated cities.

And I've said this point before, but we keep returning to the same comparison. (Florida vs. New York)  I understand OP has mentioned this but this thread has gone for 5 pages, with many posters having different discussions.  So why are we so hung up on only using New York to show Florida's failures?

How about we tackle one of the other 2 dozen states that have fared worse?  Because you can't continue rolling out population density for each and every one of them.

I'll say it again, if Florida's approach was as bad as people have painted out to be, reckless and irresponsible, to the point of their death totals being solely placed on DeSantis' hands in this thread, then they should be way up on the leaderboard in pretty much every Covid related category there is. 

If he/they have done such a terrible job then the numbers should clearly demonstrat that.  But they really don't, do they?  I'm sorry, they just don't.

Fwiw, I'm not a big DeSantis guy, nor would I describe myself as a Republican.  I just think people are going to extreme lengths to paint this dude as a monster, not at all driven by actual data but by hyperpartisan bs.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-24-2021

(02-24-2021, 08:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Did you just compare an entire state to a city?  (I'm honestly not sure, maybe I'm reading this wrong)

Yeah, he did. You didn't read anything wrong.  

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 02-24-2021

(02-24-2021, 08:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Did you just compare an entire state to a city?  (I'm honestly not sure, maybe I'm reading this wrong)

His point was that, while Florida has areas that aren't as densely populated, they do have heavily populated cities that make up the majorty of their population.  In order: Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersberg, Hialeah.  All in the top 100 in the US in terms of most populated cities.

And I've said this point before, but we keep returning to the same comparison. (Florida vs. New York)  I understand OP has mentioned this but this thread has gone for 5 pages, with many posters having different discussions.  So why are we so hung up on only using New York to show Florida's failures?

How about we tackle one of the other 2 dozen states that have fared worse?  Because you can't continue rolling out population density for each and every one of them.

I'll say it again, if Florida's approach was as bad as people have painted out to be, reckless and irresponsible, to the point of their death totals being solely placed on DeSantis' hands in this thread, then they should be way up on the leaderboard in pretty much every Covid related category there is. 

If he/they have done such a terrible job then the numbers should clearly demonstrat that.  But they really don't, do they?  I'm sorry, they just don't.

Fwiw, I'm not a big DeSantis guy, nor would I describe myself as a Republican.  I just think people are going to extreme lengths to paint this dude as a monster, not at all driven by actual data but by hyperpartisan bs.

I did.  At first I was going to look up the state too but this made my point because NYC is the reason those numbers are so high and why closing things down made sense.

The entire state of New York is:

421 people per square mile

New York State has an overall population density of 421 people per square mile, with an area of 47,126 square miles. When most people think of New York, they immediately think of New York City, the largest city in the US. New York City is also the most densely populated major city in the country.

Citing towns on the coast of Florida doesn't come close...except Miami

31,550 persons per square mile
Liberty County has the state's least densely populated urban cores according to this measure (2,495 persons per square mile), whereas Miami-Dade County still has the highest (31,550 persons per square mile).

I couldn't find results just for Miami though I did find that rates are finally starting to drop in Florida.

https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/states-death-increase-subsides-to-121-from-218-day-before-cases-7-280-vs-6-683

Add in the bad math used and the argument that "staying open" in Florida was better than closing in NYC is moot.

And, again, I'll add that Florida being even close in deaths is awful since they had lead time to prepare and opted to not do that.

Edit to add since it was probably lost in the thread:  Just because DeSantis was an idiot doesn't mean the citizens were.  An older, more vulnerable population probably followed better stay at home and social distancing rules than the governor would have liked to see.  We had a lot of the opposite of that in PA where the "patriots" went out and restaurants stayed open despite everything.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - NATI BENGALS - 02-24-2021

(02-24-2021, 01:40 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I mean making people think they are going to die or kill someone by not wearing a mask (outside for some people) when the chance of actually dying from covid is zero is BS.

I believe Covid is not going anywhere.  I believe we need to let it run it's course and hope we can build immunity as a species.  I do not believe wearing a mask constantly and locking everything down makes sense or is the solution.

I’d rather not let a species jumping rapidly mutating virus that we still don’t fully understand spread unabated.

Do we think Cuomo is the only politician who fudged the numbers when it came to the virus? I don’t. I do know Florida’s economy is extremely dependent on tourism.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Nately120 - 02-25-2021

(02-24-2021, 06:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, it is in line with "my body, my choice"..  

Im all for freedom, but the government needs to step in and save us from cafeteria gravy. 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Au165 - 02-25-2021

The Sheriff's office yesterday announced they were investigating the "pop up" vaccine site for the very affluent county in Florida as well as the "VIP" list for people to fast track their way to getting a vaccine. The investigation is starting with the county commissioner, but she has stated the location was per DeSantis orders, orders that came after meeting with the CEO of a real estate developer in the county.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - GMDino - 02-25-2021

(02-24-2021, 10:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’d rather not let a species jumping rapidly mutating virus that we still don’t fully understand spread unabated.

Do we think Cuomo is the only politician who fudged the numbers when it came to the virus? I don’t. I do know Florida’s economy is extremely dependent on tourism.

Exactly.  DeSantis has his own thing with fudging numbers.  Wolfe in Pa has an issue with how nursing homes were handled.

No one was immune from mistake and/or cover ups as they navigated through this.

Since this thread is about DeSantis his mistakes are being looked at including how he ignored the information that could have helped his state even more.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - Mickeypoo - 02-25-2021

(02-24-2021, 10:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’d rather not let a species jumping rapidly mutating virus that we still don’t fully understand spread unabated.

Cuomo is a corrupt, lying asshole trying to cover his ass because he is so incredibly stupid and incompetent he forced covid positive patients back into nursing homes.  So ya, I do  think he is the only one that has or needs to fudge numbers.

Ya, ok.  500k deaths in 15 months.  Almost all of those deaths elderly or with underlying conditions.  People are not just dropping dead.

I'm sorry you cannot see that this was overblown for political purposes.

Let me put this in perspective.  NYC has a population of 19M.   Out of the ENTIRE USA and over a 15 month period, covid has killed 1/38th of NYC!!!!!!!!!!

I suck at math, so I won't attempt this again, and GMDino won't answer the question cause it will look really bad, but what is the % of people who have died over 15 months from covid out of the entire 350M population?  Also, what is the % of healthy people who have died from covid over the last 15 months out of the 350M pop?

But ya, run around all terrified like death is just around the corner with your little covid masks that probably save almost no one and social distance pretending it actually helps much.

Just for the record, my opinions are not politically based.  It's what I see around me and the numbers after 15 months of this overblown BS.

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Cuomo is a corrupt, lying asshole trying to cover his ass because he is so incredibly stupid and incompetent he forced covid positive patients back into nursing homes.  So ya, I do  think he is the only one that has or needs to fudge numbers.
Mellow
(02-24-2021, 02:47 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: That's emotional.  

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Ya, ok.  500k deaths in 15 months.  Almost all of those deaths elderly or with underlying conditions.  People are not just dropping dead.

I'm sorry you cannot see that this was overblown for political purposes.
Mellow

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Let me put this in perspective.  NYC has a population of 19M.   Out of the ENTIRE USA and over a 15 month period, covid has killed 1/38th of NYC!!!!!!!!!!
Mellow

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I suck at math, so I won't attempt this again, and GMDino won't answer the question cause it will look really bad, but what is the % of people who have died over 15 months from covid out of the entire 350M population?  Also, what is the % of healthy people who have died from covid over the last 15 months out of the 350M pop?

Had we done proper testing, especially early on when the POTUS and his administration were saying it would be gone soon, we might have a better answer for that.

But I'll give you one more, simple math example:

Person A and Person B both get Covid.  Person A dies.  The death rate is 50% (1 divided by 2) NOT 1 divided by 350,000,000 people who *might* get covid.

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: But ya, run around all terrified like death is just around the corner with your little covid masks that probably save almost no one and social distance pretending it actually helps much.
Mellow

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Just for the record, my opinions are not politically based.  It's what I see around me and the numbers after 15 months of this overblown BS.

Really?  Because in the same post you said:

(02-25-2021, 10:23 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I'm sorry you cannot see that this was overblown for political purposes.

So....

(02-25-2021, 10:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Mellow

Mellow

Had we done proper testing, especially early on when the POTUS and his administration were saying it would be gone soon, we might have a better answer for that.

But I'll give you one more, simple math example:

Person A and Person B both get Covid.  Person A dies.  The death rate is 50% (1 divided by 2) NOT 1 divided by 350,000,000 people who *might* get covid.

Mellow

Really?  Because in the same post you said:

So....

You are not doing very good today.  Nothing I said was emotional.  It was either fact, or what I believe to be fact.  I wasn't crying about the kids Obama put in cages.

So you won't answer my math questions.  Got it.  You make up hypotheticals instead.

Here's one for ya.  High crime area scumbag kills cop cause "police brutality" promoted by many Dems.  Death rate 100%

(02-25-2021, 10:52 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: You are not doing very good today.  Nothing I said was emotional.  It was either fact, or what I believe to be fact.  I wasn't crying about the kids Obama put in cages.

Every post was opinion...emotional.

(02-25-2021, 10:52 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: So you won't answer my math questions.  Got it.  You make up hypotheticals instead.

I answered the question.  You ignoring it doesn't make your statement true.

(02-25-2021, 10:52 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Here's one for ya.  High crime area scumbag kills cop cause "police brutality" promoted by many Dems.  Death rate 100%
Mellow

(02-25-2021, 10:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: Every post was opinion...emotional.

I answered the question.  You ignoring it doesn't make your statement true.

Mellow

You answered my original math question and ignored all the others I asked.

No, every post was fact or what I believe to be fact.

(02-25-2021, 11:20 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: what I believe to be fact.

...That's an opinion. 

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - BmorePat87 - 02-25-2021

I think your comment about using NY is a bit backwards. DeSantis supporters are attempting to use NY to show that FL is a success while others are explaining that if you apply any basic context, NY does not show any degree of success for FL. 

Dino is wrong to compare the city density to the state density, but their largest city of Jacksonville has a population density of 1160 people per square mile, so I'm not sure there's a reason to bring up large Florida cities when none of them are close to comparing to NYC. Majority of those cities are 5 to 10 times less densely populated and Miami is half as densely populated. None come close to the sheer size of NYC or its share of the population. Point being, seeking to compare FL as a success relative to NY, as the OP tried to in the thread, without any context is illogical.

(02-25-2021, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: ...That's an opinion. 

Yes, I get that, but he was saying I was being emotional.  I was not.  I was simply stating facts or what I believe to be facts (opinion).

(02-25-2021, 11:36 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Yes, I get that, but he was saying I was being emotional.  I was not.  I was simply stating facts or what I believe to be facts (opinion).

I get that, but once you have crossed from facts over to opinions then they are usually shaped in some way by emotion. There is a negative connotation around using "emotional" but there is some emotion tied to it hence why you feel strong in your opinions about things. 

Not trying to get in the middle here just trying to translate a bit between the two of you rather than you guys arguing over a semantics issue for the next three pages.

(02-25-2021, 11:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: I get that, but once you have crossed from facts over to opinions then they are usually shaped in some way by emotion. There is a negative connotation around using "emotional" but there is some emotion tied to it hence why you feel strong in your opinions about things. 

Not trying to get in the middle here just trying to translate a bit between the two of you rather than you guys arguing over a semantics issue for the next three pages.

Good points.   When I say emotional, I think "oh the poor kids in cages, let's open it all up cause the poor kids" type thing.

I can say I am not really feeling emotional when I make my points, other than in a "does this make sense" kinda way.  Maybe it comes across that way from the typed word perspective.  

Fred pisses me off sometimes, so that is emotional.  lol.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - fredtoast - 02-25-2021

(02-24-2021, 08:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: His point was that, while Florida has areas that aren't as densely populated, they do have heavily populated cities that make up the majorty of their population.  In order: Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersberg, Hialeah.  All in the top 100 in the US in terms of most populated cities.

All five of Florida's largest cities combined only account for about 12% of the state's population.

NYC accounts for 43% of the population of New York.

MILLIONS of people ride the New York subway EACH DAY while there is not a single subway system in the entire state of Florida.

There is no logical comparison.

RE: Opinion: DeSantis 2024? - fredtoast - 02-25-2021

(02-24-2021, 04:59 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote:  I watched my mom wither away until she stopped breathing from cancer and it happened in 7 weeks.  Suck it up buttercup!  Life sucks sometimes.

And you would have no problem if you found that her cancer was caused by someone dumping toxic waste in her drinking water?  You would not be in favor of a regulation controlling how people dispose of carcinogenic chemicals?

And obviously you don't think there should be any measures taken against the lab in China or the Chinese government that some people claim for originally spreading this virus.  Can't be in favor of taking away any of their freedoms can we.

(02-24-2021, 04:59 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: 655k die from heart disease each year.  Let's ban "bad" food, ciggys, alcohol and have gov't mandated exercise cause safety.  I am actually surprised that the number isn't much higher than that with the enormous amount of out of shape, fat slobs we have running around this country.

People do not absorb bad food, alcohol, or large amounts of cigarette smoke just by going to the store.  Instead they make a choice to ingest that stuff.  That is entirely different from people being exposed to covid just because some assholes are so selfish that they think their "freedom" allows them to hurt other people.

Goes back to my claim that some people feel they should be "free" to drink and drive because this is a "free country".

(02-25-2021, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you would have no problem if you found that her cancer was caused by someone dumping toxic waste in her drinking water?  You would not be in favor of a regulation controlling how people dispose of carcinogenic chemicals?

And obviously you don't think there should be any measures taken against the lab in China or the Chinese government that some people claim for originally spreading this virus.  Can't be in favor of taking away any of their freedoms can we.

People do not absorb bad food, alcohol, or large amounts of cigarette smoke just by going to the store.  Instead they make a choice to ingest that stuff.  That is entirely different from people being exposed to covid just because some assholes are so selfish that they think their "freedom" allows them to hurt other people.

Goes back to my claim that some people feel they should be "free" to drink and drive because this is a "free country"
Politicians on both sides don't seem and never seemed interested in holding China accountable for anything.  Remember China Virus is RAAAAAAACIIIIIIIST!!!!!!!!!

In 15 months the total of 1/38th of NYC has died from covid.  Almost entirely very elderly and immune compromised.  You act like if people are walking around without masks or social distancing that everyone is going to start dying.  

I would suggest wearing a mask in a nursing home, but that probably isn't a bad idea pre covid either.  They are the most at risk.

I do not support drunk driving.  lol.