Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** (/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You're completely ignoring all of the names that have come off of the board.  I hate it when people use extremes (Thuney's and T. Williams contract) only to make their argument seem more sound. 

Go ahead and look at the top 100 free agents, and specifically OL, and then tell me there isn't more there than what you've just insinuated.

Multiple OG's have come off the books, many of whom people mentioned prior to free agency as more attainable (they're not crying in hindsight).  We appear to have completely ignored the TE position.  It sure looks like we may ignore the quality centers.  We've made zero cuts, and created zero additional cap space.

Thus far, we've yet to improve our team at all.  In comes a DE and two corners, out goes a DE and two corners.  By all accounts, these seems like similar levels of talent.

You can use insults like calling constructive criticism "crying" or welcome newer members by bemoaning their negativity all you like., but anyone with half of brain can understand negativity is to be expected.  This franchise stinks and has been a joke for 30 years.  This team has won 6 games over the last 2 years.  People are going to be somewhat negative.

So people went into the free agency wanting OL help?  Seems perfectly reasonable, no?  People thought with our cap space and with a number of potential cuts that we could really make some waves in improving this roster.  Unfortunately that has yet to happen.  Of course, they could be like you and give the team the benefit of the doubt.  Or they could use 30 years of history, look at the upper tier free agents left, read between the lines and "cry" about the approach.

But you do you.  I'm sure you're right.  They're going to nail this free agency and we're going to land some serious help on the OL here shortly.  No more XSF's, John Millers or Quentin Spains off the trash heap.  No sir.  They're going to finally plug in some serious help.  And we're going to nail the draft, and Zac Taylor going to lead us to the playoffs this year.  I believe that's all going to happen because I'm not just a negative hater.

Free agency hasnt offically opened yet they might have deals in place with some OL (i say might lol) and not announced yet.   There will be options in the draft especially if we look to trade #5.   and there will be post draft cuts even now more vets are becoming available.

Its not the end of the world yet.  but we arent going from Worst to First on the OL this free agency.

Perfectly fine for folks to get all worked up.. Just know no matter how mad you get or frustrated it wont change anything but your blood pressure. (ie dont freak out about things outside of your controll)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Whatever - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 01:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: The reason people feel that you need to strike early in Free Agency is pretty simple - the best players get signed first. If you wait then you are getting the leftovers and engaging in the usual Bengals dumpster diving.

Now in our scenario the reason everyone got upset over Thuney was simple - he fit a critical need perfectly, WANTED TO COME HERE and was the best player in market. When they lowballed him it insulted him and he went elsewhere. Why they STILL don't get that lowball offers kill them in negotiations is a mystery - in sports you are dealing with egos so lowball offers send the message that you do not really value the player which is insulting. If they don't know where the market sits then they need to do their homework first and make initial offers that are at minimum market par - and make it clear it is initial and will go up.

Dude, seriously.  I wanted Thuney, too, but he isn't turning down a record contract for his position to play for the SB favorites to come here.  We can sign 2 quality starters for what he got.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - jj22 - 03-17-2021

Of course people are getting worked up. It's not like we didn't see the exact same thing happen last free agency period, have the same people tell us not to worry, then watch our star QB get destroyed possibly never to be the same again.

Rinse wash and repeat even down to the "don't get worked up crowd".

Some people only need to be fooled once. Others...…. Clearly have no one to blame but themselves.

If seeing what happened to Burrow and watching Herbert take the reins of the top QB from the 2020 class; one nearly 100% now agree should have been the top pick, didn't bother people. Nothing will.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TJ528 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You're completely ignoring all of the names that have come off of the board.  I hate it when people use extremes (Thuney's and T. Williams contract) only to make their argument seem more sound. 

Go ahead and look at the top 100 free agents, and specifically OL, and then tell me there isn't more there than what you've just insinuated.

Multiple OG's have come off the books, many of whom people mentioned prior to free agency as more attainable (they're not crying in hindsight).  We appear to have completely ignored the TE position.  It sure looks like we may ignore the quality centers.  We've made zero cuts, and created zero additional cap space.

Thus far, we've yet to improve our team at all.  In comes a DE and two corners, out goes a DE and two corners.  By all accounts, these seems like similar levels of talent.

You can use insults like calling constructive criticism "crying" or welcome newer members by bemoaning their negativity all you like., but anyone with half of brain can understand negativity is to be expected.  This franchise stinks and has been a joke for 30 years.  This team has won 6 games over the last 2 years.  People are going to be somewhat negative.

So people went into the free agency wanting OL help?  Seems perfectly reasonable, no?  People thought with our cap space and with a number of potential cuts that we could really make some waves in improving this roster.  Unfortunately that has yet to happen.  Of course, they could be like you and give the team the benefit of the doubt.  Or they could use 30 years of history, look at the upper tier free agents left, read between the lines and "cry" about the approach.

But you do you.  I'm sure you're right.  They're going to nail this free agency and we're going to land some serious help on the OL here shortly.  No more XSF's, John Millers or Quentin Spains off the trash heap.  No sir.  They're going to finally plug in some serious help.  And we're going to nail the draft, and Zac Taylor going to lead us to the playoffs this year.  I believe that's all going to happen because I'm not just a negative hater.

Hey guys,

I didn't mean to bring negativity here.  Just a realistic outlook in my eyes which is different than evidently a lot of other people.  

Anyway, I appreciate the welcome however I think I'll go back to just reading the site.  

Best of luck on the season and hopefully Zac and the boys can turn his career around in Cincy. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - jj22 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 02:30 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Hey guys,

I didn't mean to bring negativity here.  Just a realistic outlook in my eyes which is different than evidently a lot of other people.  

Anyway, I appreciate the welcome however I think I'll go back to just reading the site.  

Best of luck on the season and hopefully Zac and the boys can turn his career around in Cincy. 

You didn't bring no negativity here. Week one of next season and those shaming us for being critical will be right along with us as if they spotted the signs from jump. Some are just a day late and dollar short when it comes to reality and the Bengals. And they have no one to blame but themselves as it's the same script we've all read the last 5 years at least.

No reason to leave.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Reinhardt23 - 03-17-2021

AJ Green to Cardinals 1 Year $8.5 Million

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 03-17-2021

You don’t need to leave, believe me there’s a lot of people here you’ll have fun posting with. It’s like 90% pessimists here lol. He’s right if free agency continues this way I’ll be in the boat with most of everyone else.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-17-2021

Nah, bro.  Don't do that.  You didn't bring any more negativity than the average poster.

There is absolutely nothing negative about trying to have a rational conversation about this football team.  That's why we're all here.  And truth be told, if people are trying to engage in legitimate conversation about this franchise then there's bound to be things that come up that aren't exactly positive.  It's inevitable with a team with this track record.

If you don't want to post then I don't blame you.  It can feel like you're beating your head against the wall or you're running in circles at time (what the point?).  But don't let a few bubblegum and rainbows posters bully you into thinking your take is somehow irrational or negative.  Eff that.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 02:39 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: It’s like 90% realists here lol.

Fixed this for you.

(03-17-2021, 02:39 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: You don’t need to leave, believe me there’s a lot of people here you’ll have fun posting with. It’s like 90% pessimists here lol. He’s right if free agency continues this way I’ll be in the boat with most of everyone else.

Well i may stay around a little longer then.  I'm going to just guess here but your in your 20's or early 30's and didn't really see the lost decade? lol  Thank god message boards weren't around in the 90's or at least I didn't use them.  

I think seeing 2 Super Bowls in the 80's and knowing what a winning NFL franchise can be like in Cincinnati is what upsets a lot of fans.  We want them to win but we just see incompetence.  It's the old saying if you keep doing something that fails over and over things will never change unless you change your ways.  

I know Joe Burrow is special.  He's a once in a lifetime talent who you protect at all cost.  He is your golden egg.  You've already let someone mess him up once and it should never happen again.  

I'll bring some positivity to my post going forward as well.  Somehow...someway....I'll make sure to throw in something positive...like today it's not 20 degrees in Ohio lol 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 02:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fixed this for you.

I can’t argue that, although last years free agency was a bit special so that flicker of hope remains

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-17-2021

Nah, keep posting....it isn't really negative, it's just reality....which happens to be, well, negative.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 02:46 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Well i may stay around a little longer then.  I'm going to just guess here but your in your 20's or early 30's and didn't really see the lost decade? lol  Thank god message boards weren't around in the 90's or at least I didn't use them.  

I think seeing 2 Super Bowls in the 80's and knowing what a winning NFL franchise can be like in Cincinnati is what upsets a lot of fans.  We want them to win but we just see incompetence.  It's the old saying if you keep doing something that fails over and over things will never change unless you change your ways.  

I know Joe Burrow is special.  He's a once in a lifetime talent who you protect at all cost.  He is your golden egg.  You've already let someone mess him up once and it should never happen again.  

I'll bring some positivity to my post going forward as well.  Somehow...someway....I'll make sure to throw in something positive...like today it's not 20 degrees in Ohio lol 

So true dude. I experienced the awful '90s and have mused about how bad it would be to post on forums during that time. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Joelist - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 02:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Dude, seriously.  I wanted Thuney, too, but he isn't turning down a record contract for his position to play for the SB favorites to come here.  We can sign 2 quality starters for what he got.

Now go and reread what I posted. We may have ultimately lost out but lowballing him out of the gate insulted him and killed any chance. You make realistic market level offers at the outset and if the player is needed then you overpay - this notion of always trying to get a bargain is self defeating. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fulcher_33 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 02:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So true dude. I experienced the awful '90s and have mused about how bad it would be to post on forums during that time. 

Extremely true. The 90s were a lost decade for us. I remember thinking wow this may never change back then, and wondering can this really last this long. Eventually we had a nice short run (regular season wise) but ultimately seems like we have slipped back into the 90s abyss. 

I think we can get it turned around, just not sure if we have the right FO/Coaches in place to do that right now..

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 03:00 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Extremely true. The 90s were a lost decade for us. I remember thinking wow this may never change back then, and wondering can this really last this long. Eventually we had a nice short run (regular season wise) but ultimately seems like we have slipped back into the 90s abyss. 

I think we can get it turned around, just not sure if we have the right FO/Coaches in place to do that right now..

Can you imagine hopping on The Bengals Board in 1993 with the intention of discussing Jeff Query as the leading Bengals receiver? So brutal.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - rfaulk34 - 03-17-2021

[Image: 93b32fb4c2c4f199d645b764a68d641b.gif]

(03-17-2021, 03:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Can you imagine hopping on The Bengals Board in 1993 with the intention of discussing Jeff Query as the leading Bengals receiver? So brutal.

Can you imagine you'd be on those message boards saying next year will be better casue we're gonna fire Dave Shula?  Then we have Coslet and he's an offensive genius and then we suck and hire LeBeau lol  I dont think any of us would've imagined we'd be waiting 12 years before we sniffed 8-8

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fulcher_33 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 03:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Can you imagine hopping on The Bengals Board in 1993 with the intention of discussing Jeff Query as the leading Bengals receiver? So brutal.

Yeah I can't even imagine what Message boards would have looked like then. Query LOL didn't he have like a 50% catch rate then or something absurd? lol wow

(03-17-2021, 03:09 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Yeah I can't even imagine what Message boards would have looked like then. Query LOL didn't he have like a 50% catch rate then or something absurd? lol wow

Isnt Erickson basically todays Query? lol I like him but dang