Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** (/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - WhodeyRay - 03-17-2021

What kills me is they don't upgrade with FA. They just replace with equal to lesser talent that is cheaper. Also the old retain your own only applies as of lately to aging vets that we should be moving on from. Piss poor use of cap space in FA with these clowns.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TJ528 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Free agency isn't done yet and it's a deep offensive line draft. The offensive line will be addressed at some point.

As for Hopkins he is on schedule for opening day.

Would you put 2 rookies on the offensive line?  Hell i wouldnt even put Sewell next to Hart, XSF, or anyone they have currently on their roster.   Not sure if you know our history of drafting OL but it's honestly not very good.  

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - samhain - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:23 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Hopkins is a ? at best this year. Regardless, you could move Hopkins to Guard and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. See how easy this for anyone, but the Bengals front office.

IIRC Trey couldn't hold down a starting guard spot when given the chance, then came into his own at center.  Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if they upgraded the position, but I'm not breaking out the torches and pitchforks if they don't.  The major need is at both guard spots, then RT.  I think it's a virtual lock that a first or second is going toward a tackle, so not overly upset about them not pursuing tackles.  

If they stand pat at guard however, that's pretty pathetic.  The guys we have are slightly below average in XSF to awful with Redmond and MJ.  They need to upgrade, no question about it.  

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fulcher_33 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:07 PM)Trademark Wrote: Bengals really couldn't trade a 3rd round pick for Hudson?

I heard he wanted out of LV due to not winning and had to approve the trade. He wasn't coming here.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - RunKijanaRun - 03-17-2021

Today was bad.

I can’t see any way this FA season is graded above a D.

Complete bullshit. Every year.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Joelist - 03-17-2021

XSF is not below average. Redmond is bad and MJ does not belong in an NFL uniform. Spain is also okay but for some weird reason we have not resigned him. This isn't rocket science. Resign Spain, cut Redmond and MJ and sign 2 legit NFL quality Guards.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Rubekahn29 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Today was bad.

You do realize that FA just started right? You’re acting as if it’s already over.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - J24 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:30 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Would you put 2 rookies on the offensive line?  Hell i wouldnt even put Sewell next to Hart, XSF, or anyone they have currently on their roster.   Not sure if you know our history of drafting OL but it's honestly not very good.  

I have no problem starting two rookies on the offensive line. Especially if both are drafted in the first three rounds.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:11 PM)J24 Wrote: A third RD pick is a potential starter and they already have a Center in Hopkins.

A third RD pick is a potential number of things, not just a potential starter.  The last thing you want to do is count on a 3rd round pick to immediately be able to come in and start.  At the very least, they should have to earn it by beating out other capable starters.

Also, these 3rd round picks were all potential starters too:

-Sean Brewer
-Matt Schoebel
-Caleb Miller
-Chase Coffman
-Brandon Ghee
-Dontay Moch
-Brandon Thompson
-Will Clarke
-Tyler Kroft
-Paul Dawson
-Nick Vigil
-Jordan Willis
-Malik Jefferson

That's 13 guys in the last 20 years that never became full-time starters, much less immediately.

Also, there's a whole other list of names I'm not including in this that were/are far, far from great:  Germaine Pratt, Shawn Williams, Jordan Shipley, Pat Sims, Andre Caldwell, Frostee Rucker, Kelly Washington, Landon Johnson, and Ron Dugans.

There were some guys in this list that were ok, and serviceable but none all that good.  How many of these guys were ready to start from day 1?

If the Bengals go into the season with Hopkins still injured, a 3rd round center and Billy Price then they're asking for trouble.  And you can remove Hopkins and Price from this and change the position and my point still stands.

You don't count on 3rd rounders for shit, especially if you're the Bengals.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - psychdoctor - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals had better wise up to the fact that quality interior OL cost double digit millions per year..

I guess this question must be asked, what is it about Hudson that provoked his release?  It would seem that the Raiders would want to keep a Pro-bowl center on the team...If it is to reduce cap space, it would seem the Raiders could have looked elsewhere. Just some thoughts.  

(03-17-2021, 05:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: XSF is not below average. Redmond is bad and MJ does not belong in an NFL uniform. Spain is also okay but for some weird reason we have not resigned him. This isn't rocket science. Resign Spain, cut Redmond and MJ and sign 2 legit NFL quality Guards.

I'm going to guess that Spain doesn't line up to what Pollack teaches so that's why he hasn't been signed yet.  I'll guess that Redman and MJ are both on the roster come September because they were both here last time Pollack was here.   I truly believe they may sign 1 guard in free agency but Tobin and Taylor both have stated their satisfied with what they have on the OL currently.  Maybe they know more than we do.  

Unless the Bengals release Atkins and Gio I think they may be done with the exception of a wide receiver, which are lower priced than expected and a T5 guard to come in and compete

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - RunKijanaRun - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:36 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You do realize that FA just started right? You’re acting as if it’s already over.

You’re acting as though there are a lot of great options are out there, and you’re forgetting the Bungles won’t pursue them anyway.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:36 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You do realize that FA just started right? You’re acting as if it’s already over.

You do realize that much of the top 100 is picked over, right? (Especially decent OL)  You're acting like there's unlimited supply of quality OG's, OT's, and C's.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - fredtoast - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: There's pretty much nothing they can do now.

You are wrong. I guarantee the Bengals upgrade the talent on our O-line this offseason.

Of course we could sign an All-Pro and you would still find some reason to whine and cry about it.

(03-17-2021, 05:37 PM)J24 Wrote: I have no problem starting two rookies on the offensive line. Especially if both are drafted in the first three rounds.

Hmmm I've seen this movie before when we lined up Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi.  

Which if i remember right 1 was drafted in the 1st round and the other the 2nd round.  

They plugged one in at tackle and the other at guard and they both sucked. 

So yea just plan on plug and play with OL cause as we can see it's worked for them in the past. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Gamma Ray Tan - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Multiple first round picks and trading for the 8th highest paid OT in the league is the opposite of "ignoring" the problem.

It is amazing how ignorant some people here are of what this team had done in the last few years.

Technically, I guess replacing bad players with equally bad players is addressing it. But in my book, it’s not caring enough to bring a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade to the position which I consider ignoring it. So, if they are not ignoring it and this is what they consider “good enough” and you want to defend it ...... I don’t know what to tell ya.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fulcher_33 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You do realize that much of the top 100 is picked over, right? (Especially decent OL)  You're acting like there's unlimited supply of quality OG's, OT's, and C's.

Exactly. Although FA "technically" started today. The negotiations process started 2 days ago, when alot of guys had already "agreed" to contracts that were made official today. So the top 100 as you stated has been depleted. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Trademark - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he isn't. 

Just like the last two QBs we had here Burrow will go to multiple Pro Bowls and make multiple playoff appearances.

Burrow is a man not a drama queen.

Not with the o-line the team currently has

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - fredtoast - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Today was bad.

We signed a First Team All Pro DE.

And how wad last yesr complete bullshit?

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Rubekahn29 - 03-17-2021

(03-17-2021, 05:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You do realize that much of the top 100 is picked over, right? (Especially decent OL)  You're acting like there's unlimited supply of quality OG's, OT's, and C's.

Literally 3 quality linemen have CHANGED teams via free agency. Thuney and Linsley. Maybe another one I’m missing, but you’re acting as if like 20 linemen chose other teams.

There are more than 3 quality linemen out.