Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** (/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Synric - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:28 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Vikings Release Riley Reiff

Just going off what this said. He played LT last season for certain which is what is relevant.

Yes he has mostly played Left Tackle through his career but has experience at Right Tackle. Jonah Williams is the Bengals Left Tackle nothing is going to change that not even drafting a tackle at 5.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Au165 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:04 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Reiff

The 32-year-old played 58 regular-season games in Purple over four seasons, starting all of them at left tackle.

I was mistaken he played some right tackle in Detroit. I think I was thinking Wagner, either way, Jonah isn't moving out of LT as much as people want to try. Tobin made it pretty clear that is their LT.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 11:58 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just wonder how terrible that guitar playing must sound with those hotdog fingers. 

We don't sausage finger shame in the guitar community.  You might come across some fat fingered SOB like this bad mofo that will melt your face off...

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TJ528 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Giants only have about $4 mil in cap space left. While they may be his first choice, the money has to be there.  Supposedly, Golladay has cited Burrow and Callahan as reasons he's interested in coming here.

The Bengals need to make a splash in FA.  If they pull their offer to Golladay and he can't work out a deal with the Giants, they look awfully foolish.

Or maybe Golloway looks foolish for walking away form a sure thing and the Bengals look smart for calling his bluff.  Just sayin.  One thing i've learned about this league and cap space, cap space is what you want it to be.  If the Giants want this guy enough they can create enough cap space to sign him. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Giants only have about $4 mil in cap space left. While they may be his first choice, the money has to be there.

From what I read from in article they said the Giants would most likely clear 13 million in cap space by cutting Evan Engram and another player whose name I forget, thus giving them 17 mil to play with.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, this may not be the worst thing.  If we do lose out out on Golladay to them that might mean Evan Engram hits a weakened TE market.  I couldn't kick Uzomah's ass to the curb any faster to sign Engram.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - SErebel11 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Yes he has mostly played Left Tackle through his career but has experience at Right Tackle. Jonah Williams is the Bengals Left Tackle nothing is going to change that not even drafting a tackle at 5.

Then I suspect Reiff won't be a Bengal unless they are willing to pay him like a LT. His valuation last season was 13+M and he was scheduled to make near that and refused a pay cut, which I don't blame him. Also, this is probably his last chance at a big payday (3/35-40?). There are teams that need LT still. 

(03-18-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: From what I read from in article they said the Giants would most likely clear 13 million in cap space by cutting Evan Engram and another player whose name I forget, thus giving them 17 mil to play with.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, this may not be the worst thing.  If we do lose out out on Golladay to them that might mean Evan Engram hits a weakened TE market.  I couldn't kick Uzomah's ass to the curb any faster to sign Engram.

Wes, problem is though the front office like Uzomah and like the leadership he brings to this team.  

Uzomah has been rehabbing with JB and I'm sure forming an even better relationship.  

This front office thinks they  have the 2 TE they need in Sample and Uzomah.  

Sample was a failed pick and is still a failed pick.  At least Uzomah can catch the ball and run routes. 

(03-18-2021, 12:48 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Then I suspect Reiff won't be a Bengal unless they are willing to pay him like a LT. His valuation last season was 13+M and he was scheduled to make near that and refused a pay cut, which I don't blame him. Also, this is probably his last chance at a big payday (3/35-40?). There are teams that need LT still. 

My only problem with that is has Jonah really been that fantasic at LT?  Has he been so good that you absolutely say "we can not move him to RT because it'll hurt the OL".  I mean sticking with what they've done the past 2 years hasnt work.  

Its time to try something new and bring in some creativity.  If you can sign Reiff for 13M then bring him in start him at LT.  Put Jonah at RT and that allows you to draft anyone at 5 or even move back.  

I've seen Jonah for 10 games out of 26.  Is that truly enough games to say he's your long term starting left tackle?  Just sayin. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:56 PM)TJ528 Wrote: My only problem with that is has Jonah really been that fantasic at LT?  Has he been so good that you absolutely say "we can not move him to RT because it'll hurt the OL".  I mean sticking with what they've done the past 2 years hasnt work.  

Its time to try something new and bring in some creativity.  If you can sign Reiff for 13M then bring him in start him at LT.  Put Jonah at RT and that allows you to draft anyone at 5 or even move back.  

I've seen Jonah for 10 games out of 26.  Is that truly enough games to say he's your long term starting left tackle?  Just sayin. 

slide williams to LG if we sign a LT

(03-18-2021, 12:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: slide williams to LG if we sign a LT

Exactly.  All you do is strengthen your left side.   

Me personally, i'd move Williams to RT and then find you 2 starting guards.  

As i said I'm not personally sold on Williams long term at LT. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TecmoBengals - 03-18-2021

The Jets are talking to WR JuJu Smith-Schuster. Is the domino effect they plan on keeping Darnold, are looking to get him weapons, and then draft Sewell? That leaves the Bengals with Chase, Smith, or Pitts (hopefully) at the fifth pick. Perhaps it's more imperative the Bengals sign a quality free agent OL and soon.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - ochocincos - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: slide williams to LG if we sign a LT

Kind of an a-hole move if you publicly say Jonah is going to stay at OT and then just move him inside because you got someone new.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - winthedey0 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:06 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The Jets are talking to WR JuJu Smith-Schuster. Is the domino effect they plan on keeping Darnold, are looking to get him weapons, and then draft Sewell? That leaves the Bengals with Chase, Smith, or Pitts (hopefully) at the fifth pick. Perhaps it's more imperative the Bengals sign a quality free agent OL and soon.
[quote pid='1002130' dateline='1616083587']
What if they end up signing Kenny G? Do we go Slater or just draft Pitts and go the Chiefs route trying to outscore everyone?
[/quote]

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Rubekahn29 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Kind of an a-hole move if you publicly say Jonah is going to stay at OT and then just move him inside because you got someone new.

Having the best lineup is more important than someone’s feelings about a position. He’s not exactly in the position to demand where he plays.

(03-18-2021, 01:06 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The Jets are talking to WR JuJu Smith-Schuster. Is the domino effect they plan on keeping Darnold, are looking to get him weapons, and then draft Sewell? That leaves the Bengals with Chase, Smith, or Pitts (hopefully) at the fifth pick. Perhaps it's more imperative the Bengals sign a quality free agent OL and soon.

Let's say the Bengals did get Golladay.
Would you still take a WR at 5?
That WR would likely be WR4 for (at least) a year until Golladay (possibly) left in FA next year.
My hunch is that they don't want to hone in on a WR at 5 if they are looking for someone of Golladay's caliber to bring in.

My guess is if they get someone like Golladay, Sewell is probably Option A, and then either Slater, Darrisaw, or even Pitts if Sewell not available.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - winthedey0 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Let's say the Bengals did get Golladay.
Would you still take a WR at 5?
That WR would likely be WR4 for (at least) a year until Golladay (possibly) left in FA next year.
My hunch is that they don't want to hone in on a WR at 5 if they are looking for someone of Golladay's caliber to bring in.

No...you have to take Pitts. 

(03-18-2021, 01:11 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Having the best lineup is more important than someone’s feelings about a position. He’s not exactly in the position to demand where he plays.

It could affect his performance or affect whether he wants to sign a second contract at least.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fulcher_33 - 03-18-2021

Could also be getting WHOEVER is at QB more weapons...

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Rubekahn29 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It could affect his performance or affect whether he wants to sign a second contract at least.

Well then you deal with that if it comes. I highly doubt he would be drastically worse, if he is then he wouldn’t be worth the high pick we picked him at. We control him for at least 3 more years so you deal with that when it comes.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:56 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I've seen Jonah for 10 games out of 26.  Is that truly enough games to say he's your long term starting left tackle?  Just sayin. 

Probably not; I suspect Jonah Williams suffers from Billy Price Syndrome which I define as a player who rotates back into the starting lineup before they are sufficiently recovered from injury. That's neither Jonah nor Billy's fault, either.  It's on the Front Office who failed to secure NFL-grade backup players.  Therefore the injured starters went back to work too fast.