Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** (/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - rfaulk34 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: We don't sausage finger shame in the guitar community.  You might come across some fat fingered SOB like this bad mofo that will melt your face off...

Well, at least he can't come off the top rope with an elbow and send my teeth flying to Toledo.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - jj22 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:33 PM)Au165 Wrote:  Jonah isn't moving out of LT as much as people want to try. Tobin made it pretty clear that is their LT.

I think they've been slick to just say he is staying at Tackle. Not specifically LT. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Fulcher_33 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:56 PM)TJ528 Wrote: My only problem with that is has Jonah really been that fantasic at LT?  Has he been so good that you absolutely say "we can not move him to RT because it'll hurt the OL".  I mean sticking with what they've done the past 2 years hasnt work.  

Its time to try something new and bring in some creativity.  If you can sign Reiff for 13M then bring him in start him at LT.  Put Jonah at RT and that allows you to draft anyone at 5 or even move back.  

I've seen Jonah for 10 games out of 26.  Is that truly enough games to say he's your long term starting left tackle?  Just sayin. 

No 10 games is not enough to say he IS your Long Term Starting LT, but its also not enough to say HE ISNT..

Plus you didnt draft him in the 1st round 11th overall to play LT and then not give him a real opportunity to do just that. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Murdock2420 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: From what I read from in article they said the Giants would most likely clear 13 million in cap space by cutting Evan Engram and another player whose name I forget, thus giving them 17 mil to play with.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, this may not be the worst thing.  If we do lose out out on Golladay to them that might mean Evan Engram hits a weakened TE market.  I couldn't kick Uzomah's ass to the curb any faster to sign Engram.

Engram is like John Ross but at TE.

I know he has had production at times but so many drops and often injured and just not living up to the hype.

He has the ability to be a top TE but he just has never put it together and I doubt this coaching staff would be able to get him fixed.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - SErebel11 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It could affect his performance or affect whether he wants to sign a second contract at least.

Position aside, if he doesn't start showing some durability, I wonder if he will even be offered a second contract by the Bengals.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - ochocincos - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:32 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Position aside, if he doesn't start showing some durability, I wonder if he will even be offered a second contract by the Bengals.

I think that's a little exaggerated.
He missed his rookie year because of an elective surgery that the team and he agreed to do for long-term purposes. He could have played his rookie season without the surgery, like he did his last year at Alabama.
And in 2020, he played 10 games. If someone plays 10 games, that's not really "missing a lot of time."
Realistically, if he can play 12-13 games a season, that's considered durable in my book.

(03-18-2021, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that's a little exaggerated.
He missed his rookie year because of an elective surgery that the team and he agreed to do for long-term purposes. He could have played his rookie season without the surgery, like he did his last year at Alabama.
And in 2020, he played 10 games. If someone plays 10 games, that's not really "missing a lot of time."
Realistically, if he can play 12-13 games a season, that's considered durable in my book.

I am not saying he cannot or rooting against it. Fact is, he hasn't shown that yet. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TJ528 - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 02:00 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: I am not saying he cannot or rooting against it. Fact is, he hasn't shown that yet. 

Rebel, I completely agree with you because i dont think he's shown he can be #1 durable and #2 an anchor we need at LT. 

I don't want a LT that'll last 12 games per year.   If that's durable then we better have a stack of OL for depth or else Joe will be smacked around in the pocket like he currently is.

Personally, I think if you sign the guy from the Vikings, then you can move Williams to RT.  To me 10 games does not make a Pro Bowler and from what I've seen he's not a Pro Bowler.  There's not 1 player on our OL that's close to being a Pro-Bowl player.  Amazing how far our line has fallen in a matter of 4 years.  

I mean for 15 years we'd had a average to solid line under Marvin.  His first priority when he came to Cincy was to fix the OL, and he did.  He built through the draft and through free agency and had this team back in the playoffs in 2 years.   You're trying to tell me this team should have less talent than those Bengals teams who had gone 2-14 and 1-15 and 3-13 from 92-02?   I hear a built in excuse. 

Evidently we didnt draft well prior to Marvin getting here because we sucked.   (Sorry, again another rant)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - XenoMorph - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that's a little exaggerated.

Missing 6 games is missing 37.5% of the season....  Durable is playing multi seasons without missing any time.

Of course year 1 was a wash and year 2 could be the exception But the crystal ball isbroken

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Bengalholic - 03-18-2021

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-18-2021

(03-18-2021, 01:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Probably not; I suspect Jonah Williams suffers from Billy Price Syndrome which I define as a player who rotates back into the starting lineup before they are sufficiently recovered from injury.

I mean, the guy missed an entire year.  Exactly how long does he need to recover?

(03-18-2021, 02:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

My response to that tweet would be "Have we gotten better and improved the team from 2020 or are we basically the same or worse?"  I can make an argument honestly we're not any better after spending that money.  That's the sad reality of this team. 

(03-18-2021, 02:00 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: I am not saying he cannot or rooting against it. Fact is, he hasn't shown that yet. 

But what defines "durability" though?
Is it not missing a game? Is it just missing 5 or less?

(03-18-2021, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But what defines "durability" though?

To me durability isnt what we've seen the first 2 seasons of our "supposed" long term LT.  

If he's going to be durable, maybe you miss one game a season due to being nicked up a little bit. 

I dont think you can miss  a 1/4 of the season and say oh yea he's durable and get paid $18M for that. 

If that's durability lets draft another LT and see how his durability is. 

(03-18-2021, 02:21 PM)TJ528 Wrote: To me durability isnt what we've seen the first 2 seasons of our "supposed" long term LT.  

If he's going to be durable, maybe you miss one game a season due to being nicked up a little bit. 

I dont think you can miss  a 1/4 of the season and say oh yea he's durable and get paid $18M for that. 

If that's durability lets draft another LT and see how his durability is. 

I think missing 1-3 games a year is normal.
It's the ones who miss around 8 games or more a season that concern me.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Bengalfan4life27c - 03-18-2021

The D is better. The 2 corners we picked up are better than WJack + Mckenzie. Hendrickson is = to or slightly better than Lawson. We still need T, WR and G. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Hart is Starting RT and we Go Chase or Devontae Smith. Draft a G in round 2 and go into the season with current roster.

(03-18-2021, 02:26 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The D is better. The 2 corners we picked up are better than WJack + Mckenzie. Hendrickson is = to or slightly better than Lawson.  We still need T, WR and G. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Hart is Starting RT and we Go Chase or Devontae Smith. Draft a G in round 2 and go into the season with current roster.

See i might agree with you that Hilton is better than McKinzie.  I dont agree with the other corner that'll be replacing WJIII.  As far as Hendrickson i'd  say he's equal to or slightly below Lawson IMO.  Hendrickson wont be able to do anything in Cincinnati until they upgrade the other EDGE rusher.  If they dont pick up another DE I'd guess Hendrickson has 3-4 sacks this year.  

If Bobby Hart is our starting RT you might want to set up the next appointment for his other knee with the surgeon in L.A.   Thats how fearful i am of any of the OL we currently have blocking for JoeyB. 

(03-18-2021, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But what defines "durability" though?

For me, it is missing a game or two a season. Bobby Hart for all his hatred and malcontent has played 16 16 and 14 games the last 3 seasons. I would call him durable. I understand football is physical and injuries occur but if I am paying a guy a second contract for big dollars, I want evidence that he is likely to be on the field 90+% of the time. Again, he has 3 seasons left to show it and he very well may and I hope he does, but he hasn't yet.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-18-2021

Anyone know what sort of money they signed Ogunjobi for?

(03-18-2021, 02:31 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: For me, it is missing a game or two a season. Bobby Hart for all his hatred and malcontent has played 16 16 and 14 games the last 3 seasons. I would call him durable. I understand football is physical and injuries occur but if I am paying a guy a second contract for big dollars, I want evidence that he is likely to be on the field 90+% of the time. Again, he has 3 seasons left to show it and he very well may and I hope he does, but he hasn't yet.

If you're asking me would I rather have Bobby Hart or Jonah Williams, I would still take Jonah Williams.
The reason is because I'd rather 10-12 games of good play vs 14-16 games of mediocre play.