Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** (/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread)

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Amalone002 - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 04:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) I mean, maybe we should reply on them more?  Just look at the successful teams in this league. 

The Superbowl featured Travis Kelce on one side, and Gronk on the other.  Hell, the Bucs were so stacked they had a gluttony of tight ends.  Their #2 and #3, Howard and Brate, are aguably better than anyone we currently have.

2.) I don't think anyone ripped the Sample pick because he was a tight end, they ripped it because he was a huge reach.

Don't forget kittle was in the SB prior with Jimmy G at qb. 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 06:11 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Don't forget kittle was in the SB prior with Jimmy G at qb. 

^^^

The Superbowl has been littered with quality Tight Ends this last decade.  Not all of them played with Brady and Mahomes.

Kittle like you said.  Zach Ertz with Foles.  Greg Olson with Cam Newton.  Austin Hooper with Matt Ryan.  Vernon Davis with Colin Kaepernick.  Jeremy Shockey with Eli Manning.  Dallas Clark with Peyton.  Heath Miller with Pig Ben. (Note: If this list seems light for 10 years it's because Gronk takes up like half the spots, and Kelce accounts for another two)

Every single one of these guys was an above average tight end at this time.

I don't think anyone is saying that QB's aren't the most important piece, but I think it's pretty clear that the TE position has continued to become more and more important in the pass game.  And that's a position we're not very good at.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - GreenCornBengal - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 06:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: ^^^

The Superbowl has been littered with quality Tight Ends this last decade.  Not all of them played with Brady and Mahomes.

Kittle like you said.  Zach Ertz with Foles.  Greg Olson with Cam Newton.  Austin Hooper with Matt Ryan.  Vernon Davis with Colin Kaepernick.  Jeremy Shockey with Eli Manning.  Dallas Clark with Peyton.  Heath Miller with Pig Ben. (Note: If this list seems light for 10 years it's because Gronk takes up like half the spots, and Kelce accounts for another two)

Every single one of these guys was an above average tight end at this time.

I don't think anyone is saying that QB's aren't the most important piece, but I think it's pretty clear that the TE position has continued to become more and more important in the pass game.  And that's a position we're not very good at.

Not to mention Bill B blowing a wad on the top two FA TEs. He knows better than most.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TheLeonardLeap - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 06:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True. But, to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld it’s not the free agency I wanted, but it’s the free agency I got. It’s been better than usual so an incremental step in the right direction.

To paraphrase Joe Burrow. Ow, ow, F'ing ow, my knee just exploded, ow, I can't take any more steps in any direction.

Ninja

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Whatever - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: To paraphrase Joe Burrow. Ow, ow, F'ing ow, my knee just exploded, ow, I can't take any more steps in any direction.

Ninja

Carson Palmer had a stacked OL in '05 when he went down the same way.  Tom Brady had a good OL when he went down the same way, too.

Nobody is going to say we don't need to improve the OL, but the injury drama is pretty extreme with some people.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Synric - 03-19-2021

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Shake n Blake - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 07:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: Carson Palmer had a stacked OL in '05 when he went down the same way.  Tom Brady had a good OL when he went down the same way, too.

Nobody is going to say we don't need to improve the OL, but the injury drama is pretty extreme with some people.

One time, a guy got struck by lightning while holding a metal rod in the air. Some people have been struck without holding up a metal rod, so I guess it doesn't matter if I hold one, right?

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - JerseyDD09 - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 07:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One time, a guy got struck by lightning while holding a metal rod in the air. Some people have been struck without holding up a metal rod, so I guess it doesn't matter if I hold one, right?

That's a great comeback SnB! I had to give you a Rep for that one. Lol 

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Whatever - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 07:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One time, a guy got struck by lightning while holding a metal rod in the air. Some people have been struck without holding up a metal rod, so I guess it doesn't matter if I hold one, right?

The Miller kid fell off his bike and broke his arm.  I guess you should only let your kids ride their bikes while wearing full pads and with adult supervision.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Shake n Blake - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 08:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Miller kid fell off his bike and broke his arm.  I guess you should only let your kids ride their bikes while wearing full pads and with adult supervision.

This is simple really. More sacks/hits = more chances to get hurt. That's not even getting into the other benefits of a good line. Nothing more need be said.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Bengalholic - 03-19-2021

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Wes Mantooth - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 07:45 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: That's a great comeback SnB! I had to give you a Rep for that one. Lol 

Me too.  That was well done.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - SunsetBengal - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 08:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Miller kid fell off his bike and broke his arm.  I guess you should only let your kids ride their bikes while wearing full pads and with adult supervision.

What in the hell does that stupid scenario have to do with football?  Seems pretty clear that if a team has a strong OL, the chances of a QB being successful increase exponentially.  Sure, lightning strikes, kids fall off bikes, etc. but generally trends are decided upon from accumulated data, and not "random occurrences"..

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Bengals731 - 03-19-2021

We are interested in Sammy Watkins is what I saw on Twitter , I know that means absolutely nothing but if true I would dig it

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Joelist - 03-19-2021

I have to think they will also be restocking the WR room and interior OL through FA and the draft.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Sled21 - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 08:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: I have to think they will also be restocking the WR room and interior OL through FA and the draft.

Gimme Quinn Meinerz to come in and backup a Guard spot while he matures.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - TheLeonardLeap - 03-19-2021

(03-19-2021, 07:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: Carson Palmer had a stacked OL in '05 when he went down the same way.  Tom Brady had a good OL when he went down the same way, too.

Except the difference is those were flukes or dirty plays.

We KNEW Burrow was going to get hurt. Just look at the forum threads from before the 2020 season. Everyone and their mother knew that Burrow was going to get hurt behind that OL. He proceeded to get the absolute shit beaten out of him for 9 weeks until the 10th he finally got hit where he couldn't get back up.

It's nothing like the Palmer or Brady injuries.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Trademark - 03-19-2021

Giants didn't sign him, looking good for Cincy

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-19-2021

For my money, here are our biggest areas of need. Generally, I tend to rank positions where we have a starter problem above a depth problem.

1. Offensive Guard.

XSF is our best and he's a career spot starter type. Jordan is still a starter. And we have no signed depth either, with Sutherland being the only other G on the roster. We need at least 2 pickups here.

While #5 is likely too rich for a guard, we could take a tacle (Sewell) and move someone inside for a year (Jonah, Reiff, Sewell) and reassess with Reiff on a 1 year deal.

I'd still be shocked if we don't take a G in Rd 2 or 3, regardless of what happens in R1. Reclaiming Spain or Redmond or another OG vet for cheap is also possible.

2. Wide Receiver.

Tate is a starter at the moment. And Thomas is our #4. I'd expect a FA signing and a pick in the first 3 rounds. Though if we land Golladay (and it looks like he is NY bound), maybe a lower round pick.

3. Linebacker.

#5 is too rich, even for Parsons. But Pratt has been mostly bad & Wilson unproven. ADG & Bailey are our current backups. Signing Bynes or a cheap vet LB would help. Even Evans. With OL/WR a higher priority, unless we trade back & score extra picks, I doubt a late round backer is much of an upgrade on Bynes, Evans, ADG, or Bailey, not to mention Pratt or Wilson. If Golladay falls through & we spend less on a FA WR, a dicounted vet backer would be nice.

4. Defensive Line Depth.

Edge & Tackle. Our #3 edge guy at the moment is Kareem. And our two backup DTs (Tupou & Wren) did not play last year. I would certainly expect a mid round pick to go the DL (likely edge) and a value FA vet as well. Maybe a fairly pricey one if Golladay falls thru.

5. Tight End.

If CJ can come back healthy we have a passable group. A big IF coming off an achilles injury. Pitts is tempting at #5 (if still on the board).

6. Place kicker.

Randy is gone. I do not like Seibert. Pick the best NCAA kicker and go with him. Round 4,5,6.

RE: ***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread*** - MickMack - 03-19-2021

There are a ton of fringe tackle/guard guys that will be available beyond the first round. We need someone like that because, let's be honest, our backups at tackle aren't that great.