Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The offensive heading into 2021 - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The offensive heading into 2021 (/Thread-The-offensive-heading-into-2021)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The offensive heading into 2021 - impactplaya - 04-04-2021

The Bengals offense in 2020 was headlined by Joe Burrow injury, oline injuries,lack of a vertical attack and not enough red zone TDs.
I thought it was a offense that had issues finding a identity
But I did find some things the offense can build on going into 2021

In the last 4 games of the year the Bengals offense generated
More than 100 yds on the ground.
For the year they had 8 games where the offense produced
100 yds or more rushing.
I don't have the stats in front of me but I bet in the games
They won in 2020,the Bengals had success running the ball
Now you throw upgrades on the oline so far.
Dont shy away from the run, use it, protect your franchise QB with it

One of the best ways to keep a QB upright is having a chain moving
Rushing attack.
You mentally and physically wear down a front 7.
All of a sudden DEs are lacking that burst off the edge.
Running the ball also negates the twist and turn
Dlines use on passing downs cause they are gassed
Worn out.

Samje Perrine is a important piece heading into this year
IMO he is a X factor nobody talks about.
He is the 1st big back the Bengals have had in awhile
That can also catch the ball make guys miss

I hope ZT and BC actually incorporate more presnap shifts and
Motions this year. Their formation predictability in regards
To down and distance just made the defenses job easier.

This offense can really be great in 2021 with more boundry speed
More imagination and not being afraid to lean on the running game
Impose your will on the defense

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - fredtoast - 04-04-2021

Here is my take so far.

-Pollack will make some difference, but he still needs more talent. We have to use one of our first two picks in the draft on an O-lineman that has the chance to start as a rookie.

-As hard as it is to believe arguably the worst player on our offense last year was AJ Green. His catch percentage and yards per target were not just worst among all starting WRs last year they were also among the worst posted by any starting WR over the last decade. We are lucky to have two solid WRs already in Boyd and Higgins, but the #3 WR is basically a starter. We would really benefit by upgrading that position with a draft pick or free agent.

-A full year of a healthy Mixon, Jonah Williams, and Uzomah would really help. But to be honest Mixon could not make anything happen behind that line last year even when he was healthy.

-Joe Burrow has issues he needs to correct. I think he will be healthy enough this offseason to work on improving his game. If he can improve his deep ball and work on avoiding sacks his improvement will help the offense a lot. Even though he was a top prospect coming out of college he should dtill be able to show big improvements over his rookies season.

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is my take so far.

-Pollack will make some difference, but he still needs more talent.  We have to use one of our first two picks in the draft on an O-lineman that has the chance to start as a rookie.

-As hard as it is to believe arguably the worst player on our offense last year was AJ Green.  His catch percentage and yards per target were not just worst among all starting WRs last year they were also among the worst posted by any starting WR over the last decade.  We are lucky to have two solid WRs already in Boyd and Higgins, but the #3 WR is basically a starter.  We would really benefit by upgrading that position with a draft pick or free agent.

-A full year of a healthy Mixon, Jonah Williams, and Uzomah would really help.  But to be honest Mixon could not make anything happen behind that line last year even when he was healthy.

-Joe Burrow has issues he needs to correct.  I think he will be healthy enough this offseason to work on improving his game.  If he can improve his deep ball and work on avoiding sacks his improvement will help the offense a lot.  Even though he was a top prospect coming out of college he should dtill be able to show big improvements over his rookies season.

Agree in the main. But be real, Michael Jordan & OG Fred Thomas were our worst offensive players last year.

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - impactplaya - 04-04-2021

-Pollack will make some difference, but he still needs more talent.  We have to use one of our first two picks in the draft on an O-lineman that has the chance to start as a rookie.

-As hard as it is to believe arguably the worst player on our offense last year was AJ Green.  His catch percentage and yards per target were not just worst among all starting WRs last year they were also among the worst posted by any starting WR over the last decade.  We are lucky to have two solid WRs already in Boyd and Higgins, but the #3 WR is basically a starter.  We would really benefit by upgrading that position with a draft pick or free agent.

-A full year of a healthy Mixon, Jonah Williams, and Uzomah would really help.  But to be honest Mixon could not make anything happen behind that line last year even when he was healthy.

-Joe Burrow has issues he needs to correct.  I think he will be healthy enough this offseason to work on improving his game.  If he can improve his deep ball and work on avoiding sacks his improvement will help the offense a lot.  Even though he was a top prospect coming out of college he should dtill be able to show big improvements over his rookies season.
I wish there was a breakdown on the sacks.
Like waa JB waiting for targets to seperate and the JB didnt see any Windows?
How bad was the communication on the oline?
I do.know when you cant start the same 5 every week 
Theres bound to be a disconnect in picking up stunts
And what not.
I think JB is a student of the game and he will diligently
Correct his errors from.lsst year.

Im.curious to see how the carries will be spilt between
Mixon and Perrine.Perrine showed he can shoulder the losd when Joe was out.

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - BobJohnson55 - 04-04-2021

I agree we have to take a o lineman in the first two rounds ,mainly because you can't trust jonah Williams being healthy all year and the fans would throw a tantrum if they waited till the 3rd or lower and not take a tackle. 

I agree Green was a shell of himself and didn't do well at all. But we have to acknowledge he still took the #1 corner most of the time. Putting Higgins on the #1 corner and relying on him being number #1 receiver is a risk. The Sewell fans seem to think higgins is #1 material already. And the 2nd outside receiver will have to play a lot of snaps, this is why chase would make sense at the pick because he looks nfl ready and already played against top corners with Joe burrow throwing him the ball. 

Mixon is another one that seems to get hurt a lot. And  I think isn't a true #1 running back. His role should be like how Oklahoma used him,more in the passing game where he excels the most. But maybe with a really good o line he would look better running. But we are expecting to go from worst to first in that area in one year? 

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - SunsetBengal - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 02:54 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: I agree we have to take a o lineman in the first two rounds ,mainly because you can't trust jonah Williams being healthy all year and the fans would throw a tantrum if they waited till the 3rd or lower and not take a tackle. 

Some might argue that the Bengals need to focus on OL, specifically in this draft, spending at least 3 picks on OL.  With an aging Reilly Reiff being a one year bargain signing, and Jonah Williams being healthy for a total of 8 games in 2 seasons, the Bengals need quality shelf stock, now.  Fred Johnson and Hakeem Adeniji looked like they didn't even belong in the league last season, Two Tackles should be a must.

Interior isn't looking like a Granite wall, either.  Hopkins is coming off a severe injury, and Price has still yet to show anything worth keeping around past this season.  Spain and XSF are fair to average Guards, but the shelf is pretty barren after them.  At least one interior OL, preferably a man that can play well at both Guard and Center is also desperately needed.

The simple truth is that the Bengals need to build the OL, and develop a steady rushing attack.  If they fail to do so, they are putting Joe Burrow at serious risk of another season ending, and possibly career ending injury.

(04-04-2021, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some might argue that the Bengals need to focus on OL, specifically in this draft, spending at least 3 picks on OL.  With an aging Reilly Reiff being a one year bargain signing, and Jonah Williams being healthy for a total of 8 games in 2 seasons, the Bengals need quality shelf stock, now.  Fred Johnson and Hakeem Adeniji looked like they didn't even belong in the league last season, Two Tackles should be a must.

Interior isn't looking like a Granite wall, either.  Hopkins is coming off a severe injury, and Price has still yet to show anything worth keeping around past this season.  Spain and XSF are fair to average Guards, but the shelf is pretty barren after them.  At least one interior OL, preferably a man that can play well at both Guard and Center is also desperately needed.

The simple truth is that the Bengals need to build the OL, and develop a steady rushing attack.  If they fail to do so, they are putting Joe Burrow at serious risk of another season ending, and possibly career ending injury.
That would not be good to ignore other positions,and adenji did not look bad. Willie Anderson even praised him on Twitter at the time for his feet. Fred Johnson is a average ot at best,when they tried him at guard he did very bad. Michael Jordan and Bobby hart was the major weak links. There's pics of Bobby hart looking stupid. 

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - SunsetBengal - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 06:58 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: That would not be good to ignore other positions,and adenji did not look bad. Willie Anderson even praised him on Twitter at the time for his feet. Fred Johnson is a average ot at best,when they tried him at guard he did very bad. Michael Jordan and Bobby hart was the major weak links. There's pics of Bobby hart looking stupid. 

Sorry man, I cannot get on board with the idea that Jordan and Hart were the only weak links on the OL, last season.  The unit as an entity, blew chunks last year.  Adeniji might have drawn praise from Willie A. for good footwork on some specific plays, but by and large, Hakeem needs plenty of development time.

Coach Pollack more than has his work cut out for him, in order to field a competitive OL unit this year.  And that is IF the team does provide him with some top notch rookie talent to work with, as they did him very few favors in free agency.

While I agree that other positions should not be ignored, OL definitely needs to be the primary focus of this draft.  The team definitely needs to keep their eyes open for a quality pass rusher to fall into their lap, but other than that, OL should be the priority.  If you disagree, exactly which position group would you say deserves as much attention as OL?

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - bengalfan74 - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, I cannot get on board with the idea that Jordan and Hart were the only weak links on the OL, last season.  The unit as an entity, blew chunks last year.  Adeniji might have drawn praise from Willie A. for good footwork on some specific plays, but by and large, Hakeem needs plenty of development time.

Coach Pollack more than has his work cut out for him, in order to field a competitive OL unit this year.  And that is IF the team does provide him with some top notch rookie talent to work with, as they did him very few favors in free agency.

While I agree that other positions should not be ignored, OL definitely needs to be the primary focus of this draft.  The team definitely needs to keep their eyes open for a quality pass rusher to fall into their lap, but other than that, OL should be the priority.  If you disagree, exactly which position group would you say deserves as much attention as OL?

The first 4 rounds of the draft need to have two Olinemen in there. 

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - Gdale_Bengal - 04-04-2021

Having a balanced offense means the d can’t T off on the pass, keeps your starting QB upright, and the O stays on the field longer.

Whodathunkit

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - BengalsBong - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, I cannot get on board with the idea that Jordan and Hart were the only weak links on the OL, last season.  The unit as an entity, blew chunks last year.  Adeniji might have drawn praise from Willie A. for good footwork on some specific plays, but by and large, Hakeem needs plenty of development time.

So what round do you expect to get a starting WR in this O-lineman heavy draft?

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - BengalsBong - 04-04-2021

We do not just need any WR we need a dominate number 1 guy. Let Tee stay in the number 2 role with Boyd in the slot do not move 2 or three guys around to fill one spot.

Figures my post didn't go through lol but we need a wide receiver playing x or z that can play a lot of snaps. We need another pass rusher. You can even say we need upgrades other places. 

Adenji probably does need more work but he isn't horrible, fred Johnson is average at best offensive tackle,horrible guard. Reiff was a solid signing and he is getting treated like it,they said he was solid consistent. Jonah Williams definitely needs to be healthy and live up to status. The guard we signed back was an upgrade on the o line last year and helped beat the Steelers. Even with two or 3 duds on o line we were in a lot of close games. We were winning when burrow got injured. 

But anyways I'm not saying the o line doesn't need more improvement, it does. But it doesn't need 3 straight rounds. Other teams can find solid lineman all through the draft and udfa's.  We have took 1st rounders who were busts. 

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - Fan_in_Kettering - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 07:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The first 4 rounds of the draft need to have two Olinemen in there. 

...and two defensive linemen.

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - Fan_in_Kettering - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 08:23 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: Adenji probably does need more work but he isn't horrible...

But anyways I'm not saying the o line doesn't need more improvement, it does. But it doesn't need 3 straight rounds. Other teams can find solid lineman all through the draft and udfa's.  We have took 1st rounders who were busts. 

I’m going to rep you for your post but “he isn’t horrible” is an unacceptably low bar.

(04-04-2021, 08:16 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: So what round do you expect to get a starting WR in this O-lineman heavy draft?

Same round where we found Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Chad Johnson, Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott, and Cris Collinsworth.

(04-04-2021, 08:23 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote:  Other teams can find solid lineman all through the draft and udfa's.  

Other teams also find WRs all through the draft and udfa's.

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - impactplaya - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 08:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same round where we found Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Chad Johnson, Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott, and Cris Collinsworth.

Higgins 2nd 
Boyd.    2nd ?
Johnson.  3rd 
Pickens.  2nd ?
Scott        ??
Collinsworth. 1st??

I recall when Collinsworth got drafted I think it was David Verser
That was supposed to.be the impact WR that year. 

Anyhow would not be surprised if the Bengals drafted 2-WRs 
This year 

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - NATI BENGALS - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some might argue that the Bengals need to focus on OL, specifically in this draft, spending at least 3 picks on OL.  With an aging Reilly Reiff being a one year bargain signing, and Jonah Williams being healthy for a total of 8 games in 2 seasons, the Bengals need quality shelf stock, now.  Fred Johnson and Hakeem Adeniji looked like they didn't even belong in the league last season, Two Tackles should be a must.

Would not be mad if we went 1.OL 2.OL 3.OL. BPA could easily be OL at each of those picks.

ZT has talked about continuity on the OL. Well get 3 who will play together for 4+ years and worry about their contracts and keeping them together later.

If we run the ball and give our QB time we will be winning games. I wouldn’t care if our WRs aren’t super flashy or we don’t have big names on our DE depth chart if we are winning.

1. Penei
2. Landon Dickerson
3. Jackson Carman

I’m leaving the vets out on the edges and rolling with a rookie interior that is going to make our OL a strength for years to come as they develop.

RE: The offensive heading into 2021 - AQIndianHill - 04-04-2021

They’re going to have one of the 3 worst defenses in the nfl

The offense can’t overcome that

The chiefs offense couldn’t even do that