Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails (/Thread-Attempt-to-unionize-Amazon-fails)

Pages: 1 2

Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Goalpost - 04-09-2021

in a vote of 1798 to 735, an Alabama work center rejected unionization. This was the first real attempt to unionize a large cap big tech company. Most of the coverage preceding the vote seemed to be anti-Amazon so the vote was somewhat surprising it wasn't closer.
Biden, as we know is pro union. Bernie Sanders was trying to connect his name into unionizing here. Amazon hires at fifteen dollars an hour offering health benefits as well as what has been a profitable 401k plan. Despite a big effort by union leaders to get out the vote as well as positive media coverage with it, only 55 percent of the employees actually took time to vote.

So I've never been in a union. Does anyone know what percent of union dues are to unionize?

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Benton - 04-09-2021

(04-09-2021, 03:23 PM)Goalpost Wrote: in a vote of 1798 to 735, an Alabama work center rejected unionization.  This was the first real attempt to unionize a large cap big tech company.  Most of the coverage preceding the vote seemed to be anti-Amazon so the vote was somewhat surprising it wasn't closer.
Biden, as we know is pro union.   Bernie Sanders was trying to connect his name into unionizing here.  Amazon hires at fifteen dollars an hour offering health benefits as well as what has been a profitable 401k plan.  Despite a big effort by union leaders to get out the vote as well as positive media coverage with it, only 55 percent of the employees actually took time to vote.  

So I've never been in a union.  Does anyone know what percent of union dues are to unionize?

Simple majority.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - michaelsean - 04-09-2021

I’m guessing it’s it’s a cost/reward calculation.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Benton - 04-09-2021

(04-09-2021, 05:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m guessing it’s it’s a cost/reward calculation.

Probably just the continuation of declining union participation. Businesses and the far right have spent a fortune over the last few decades to make unions look evil for asking corporations to share profits in the form of lower level raises instead of higher level bonuses. 

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Brownshoe - 04-10-2021

It's hilarious that people on the right are anti-union. Getting leverage with your bargaining power is a big part of what capitalisms is. I'm pretty surprised that the union failed. Maybe they were just afraid of retaliation?

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Benton - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 12:20 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's hilarious that people on the right are anti-union. Getting leverage with your bargaining power is a big part of what capitalisms is. I'm pretty surprised that the union failed. Maybe they were just afraid of retaliation?

I don't disagree, but the right has been anti-union for a loooong time.

It's a weird conflict. I know union guys who vote straight Republican then seem mystified when they pass right to work and similar laws.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Goalpost - 04-10-2021

Human Resources have come a long way. Much more open door. They attend meetings. Participate in training. Show up at company events.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - fredtoast - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 12:20 AM)Brownshoe Wrote:  I'm pretty surprised that the union failed. 

It is Alabama.  Amazon can underpay their labor their and people are still thrilled to start $15 dollars an hour.  That seems like good pay to them.

What cracks me up is that in Tennessee we have what are called "right to work" laws that are actually anti-union laws.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - HarleyDog - 04-10-2021

Just going to throw this out there and my opinion isn't political. In my small hometown, unions suck. We used to have a booming economy. We had Westinghouse, Sheller Globe (GM), Union City Body Company (built vans for UPS, Triangle pacific (cabinet factory). Nice small town with a great railroad hub that sit's on the state line of Ohio/Indiana. Actually splits the town right down the middle. Population has no more than 3-4 thousand people. We had nice homes, boats, cars etc.

Then, the unions got greedy and the next thing you know, each factory seemed to be on strike for higher wages (employees already made a lot of money). Company would meet their demands and shortly they would strike again. Greed. In the late 70's early 80's these companies couldn't keep doing it so they ALL shut down. Westinghouse moved to Mexico, Sheller Globe moved 30 miles north, changed its name and paid people $10 an hour (previously paying people here $18-$22). UCBC was the last to close but couldn't be competitive any longer and boom, gone.

Now we have a town that struggles badly to keep afloat. Welfare housing has tripled. Greed from the unions got us to where we are today. It once was a great little town.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - fredtoast - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 07:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just going to throw this out there and my opinion isn't political. In my small hometown, unions suck. We used to have a booming economy. We had Westinghouse, Sheller Globe (GM), Union City Body Company (built vans for UPS, Triangle pacific (cabinet factory). Nice small town with a great railroad hub that sit's on the state line of Ohio/Indiana. Actually splits the town right down the middle. Population has no more than 3-4 thousand people. We had nice homes, boats, cars etc.

Then, the unions got greedy and the next thing you know, each factory seemed to be on strike for higher wages (employees already made a lot of money). Company would meet their demands and shortly they would strike again. Greed. In the late 70's early 80's these companies couldn't keep doing it so they ALL shut down. Westinghouse moved to Mexico, Sheller Globe moved 30 miles north, changed its name and paid people $10 an hour (previously paying people here $18-$22). UCBC was the last to close but couldn't be competitive any longer and boom, gone.

Now we have a town that struggles badly to keep afloat. Welfare housing has tripled. Greed from the unions got us to where we are today. It once was a great little town.

It is not "greed" when the companies are making record profits.  It is just asking for a fair wage.

You say the companies "couldn't keep doing it", but they absolutely could.

Labor should not have to accept Mexican level wages when the companies are making huge profits and the executives and stockholders are getting richer and richer.

Since 1970 90% of the new wealth created in this country has gone to the top 10%.  Meanwhile the wages for the middle class have been stagnate.  We need unions now more than ever because the wealthy are crushing the middle class out of existence.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - HarleyDog - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not "greed" when the companies are making record profits.  It is just asking for a fair wage.

You say the companies "couldn't keep doing it", but they absolutely could.

Labor should not have to accept Mexican level wages when the companies are making huge profits and the executives and stockholders are getting richer and richer.

Since 1970 90% of the new wealth created in this country has gone to the top 10%.  Meanwhile the wages for the middle class have been stagnate.  We need unions now more than ever because the wealthy are crushing the middle class out of existence.

So what happens when they move and kill a town?

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Benton - 04-11-2021

(04-10-2021, 07:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just going to throw this out there and my opinion isn't political. In my small hometown, unions suck. We used to have a booming economy. We had Westinghouse, Sheller Globe (GM), Union City Body Company (built vans for UPS, Triangle pacific (cabinet factory). Nice small town with a great railroad hub that sit's on the state line of Ohio/Indiana. Actually splits the town right down the middle. Population has no more than 3-4 thousand people. We had nice homes, boats, cars etc.

Kind of the opposite here.

We had a booming chemical industrial complex with high wages when the companies were american and german owned starting in the 70s. It built a ton of spin off.

Over the last couple decades,the plants have sold out to asian companies. Wages plummeted as they closed union plants and reopened the same thing as nonunion facilities. Now, put of 7or so plants, the only ones paying a a decent wage (20$+) is the last German plant (wacker) which requires labor representation. The rest? They paid $20+ in the 80s, now they pay $10-$12.

And the rest is crap. There's no jobs anywhere. Everything pays under $10 an hour. It's a waste.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - fredtoast - 04-11-2021

(04-10-2021, 08:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So what happens when they move and kill a town?

If they move to a non-union plant someplace else in the United Sates then that plant needs to become unionized.

Moving overseas is a more complicated problem.  That is where you get into ways for the government to protect the middle class through tariffs, trade agreements, and tax plans.

I can't believe how many people in the middle class are fine with the wealthy elite using their power to crush the middle and lower classes.  They favor an autocracy of the elite over a democratic plan that gives the individuals power in numbers.  A union does exactly the same thing as our Constitution.  It gives the weak and disadvantaged some power.

I mean, seriously, learn some history about corporate behavior before you accuse workers of being "greedy".  Corporations have always valued profit over human life and the environment.  These companies were not destroyed by labor.  They continued to make huge profits so executives and stockholders could get more and more wealth while squeezing the lower and middle classes.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - HarleyDog - 04-11-2021

(04-11-2021, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If they move to a non-union plant someplace else in the United Sates then that plant needs to become unionized.

Moving overseas is a more complicated problem.  That is where you get into ways for the government to protect the middle class through tariffs, trade agreements, and tax plans.

I can't believe how many people in the middle class are fine with the wealthy elite using their power to crush the middle and lower classes.  They favor an autocracy of the elite over a democratic plan that gives the individuals power in numbers.  A union does exactly the same thing as our Constitution.  It gives the weak and disadvantaged some power.

I mean, seriously, learn some history about corporate behavior before you accuse workers of being "greedy".  Corporations have always valued profit over human life and the environment.  These companies were not destroyed by labor.  They continued to make huge profits so executives and stockholders could get more and more wealth while squeezing the lower and middle classes.

This is why I stated I was not being political. I was simply giving the sentiment of those effected. My entire family worked at these places. All their livelihoods were stripped away in a matter of a couple years. The people weren’t as greedy as the unions which represented them. Union representation don’t mean diddly squat if you don’t have a job to go too. Oh but those unions sure do love those union dues. Higher pay, more dues being paid.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - fredtoast - 04-11-2021

(04-11-2021, 03:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is why I stated I was not being political. I was simply giving the sentiment of those effected. My entire family worked at these places. All their livelihoods were stripped away in a matter of a couple years. The people weren’t as greedy as the unions which represented them. Union representation don’t mean diddly squat if you don’t have a job to go too. Oh but those unions sure do love those union dues. Higher pay, more dues being paid.

The companies were the ones being greedy.  They were making huge profits while suppressing the wages of the labor force.

Asking for fair market value for labor is not being greedy.

What about all the hundreds of thousands of NON UNION jobs that were lost when corporations moved their factories over seas.  Should those American workers have agreed to reduce their wages to poverty level just so corporate executives and stockholders could have massive increases in wealth?

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - CKwi88 - 04-11-2021

(04-11-2021, 06:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The companies were the ones being greedy.  They were making huge profits while suppressing the wages of the labor force.

Asking for fair market value for labor is not being greedy.

What about all the hundreds of thousands of NON UNION jobs that were lost when corporations moved their factories over seas.  Should those American workers have agreed to reduce their wages to poverty level just so corporate executives and stockholders could have massive increases in wealth?

The power of the people spinning the narrative that millionaires/billionaires that exploit tax loopholes and dirt cheap labor are in the right and unions fighting for fair wages and benefits are evil amazes me.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - HarleyDog - 04-12-2021

(04-11-2021, 06:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The companies were the ones being greedy.  They were making huge profits while suppressing the wages of the labor force.

Not sure I agree. They agreed to terms every time the union went on strike. But the union dipped the well way too often. 

Quote:Asking for fair market value for labor is not being greedy.

They were making excellent wages. Well above avg for this area.

Quote:What about all the hundreds of thousands of NON UNION jobs that were lost when corporations moved their factories over seas.  Should those American workers have agreed to reduce their wages to poverty level just so corporate executives and stockholders could have massive increases in wealth?

Who said anything about being asked to reduce wages. They were not asked that at all?

Here's the issue Fred. I was simply giving an example of my home town. Not the country in general. I specifically said I was not being political, but I wanted to share the sentiment and the history of our town. It was once a booming town. People moved here to work at these places because they paid so well. Now the town is run down and less than desirable to live in. You can buy a house here for 30k easily because there's really not a lot here. But that same house 15 miles away would sell for $75-$100k. Drugs and crime have really grown here. I'm not saying thats the unions fault, but it didn't help.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Wes Mantooth - 04-12-2021

IMHO, anyone who thinks there's absolutes when discucssing unions (Only pros for unions, or only cons for unions) is full of shit. As with most things, the true answer lies somehwhere in the middle.

If someone tells you all unions are good they're full of it. If someone tells you all unions are bad they're full of it.

I worked for a union for a couple years (UPS), and I can speak from experience when I say that they are indeed both pros and cons. And for as many reasons it might make sense for one company (or industry) to push for unionization there's as many reasons for others to oppose it.

I'm not pointing any of this out to really weigh in on this Amazon situation, but mainly just for discussion. Truth be told, I haven't done enough research on their situation to have an opinion on it. I just think it's important for everyone to understand that it can be an incredibly complex debate, and it's rarely as simple as it is often portrayed.

The fact of the matter is there a lot of examples of unions being needed where they're not, but there's an equal number of examples where unions have caused more harm than good. Unions can start out with the best of intentions, and to the benefit of many, to then turn into something entirely different.

Fwiw, I'm tempted to go on a rant about public-sector unions (cops, teachers, USPS, etc.) but frankly I don't have energy to open that can of worms.

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - Nately120 - 04-12-2021

(04-11-2021, 08:42 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The power of the people spinning the narrative that millionaires/billionaires that exploit tax loopholes and dirt cheap labor are in the right and unions fighting for fair wages and benefits are evil amazes me.

I guess people just look at widening wage gaps and the inability (or lack of interest) in wages keeping up with inflation and start drawing conclusions.  It also can't help that days where taxes were high and US workers had some modicum of power are continuously being touted as "the good ol' days."

I'll be novel and instead of blaming the rich or blaming the poor I'll blame...um....hmm....I'll blame people who make up the absolute median.  Who do those people think they are?

RE: Attempt to unionize Amazon fails - fredtoast - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 09:58 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Who said anything about being asked to reduce wages. They were not asked that at all?

I know.  Companies don't give that options because the workers would revolt.  Instead the companies just close up shop and move overseas or someplace where there is no union so they can more easily exploit labor.

Here are some interesting facts you may want to consider before bashing unions and calling them "greedy" instead of the corprations.

[Image: top1percentchart_web_graphic.png]

[Image: 4fd2455c6bb3f7027e000001]

[Image: p10_trade_union_membership_wages_and_pro...k=3fdhtVfC]