Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry (/Thread-OL-hits-and-sacks-Joe-Goodberry)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - ochocincos - 04-13-2021

Joe Goodberry posted the following information regarding what each OL allowed in terms of hits and sacks on their QB.

I can't post his other tweets because he uses the F word in there, so I'll just post the metrics and you can access his twitter for the actual posts.

Williams - 6 hits, 3 sacks
Su'a Filo + Spain - 5 hits, 2 sacks
Hopkins - 1 hit, 1 sack
Reiff - 7 hits, 1 sack

Other guys from last year:
Jordan - 15 hits, 3 sacks (led all guards in QB hits allowed)
Hart - 8 hits, 4 sacks
Redmond - 2 hits, 3 sacks
Johnson - 5 hits, 2 sacks
Adeniji - 2 hits, 4 sacks

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Big Boss - 04-13-2021

His tweets about Michael Jordan specifically are deeply disturbing. Led ALL offensive linemen in QB hits allowed.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - impactplaya - 04-13-2021

Jordan Hart Redmond killed Burrow.alone.
Williams numbers arent much.better than Harts. Jeepers

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Synric - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 12:41 PM)Big Boss Wrote: His tweets about Michael Jordan specifically are deeply disturbing.  Led ALL offensive linemen in QB hits allowed.

Michael Jordan just cannot play lower for some reason. He constantly plays upright and gives up leverage leading to him getting beat time and time again.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Sled21 - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 12:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Jordan Hart Redmond killed Burrow.alone.
Williams numbers arent much.better than Harts. Jeepers

Williams had Jordan beside him... so basically he's playing the left side of the line by himself.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - fredtoast - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 12:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Williams numbers arent much.better than Harts. Jeepers

Jonah's numbers are actually much worse than Hart's because he played about 30% fewer snaps.

But someone posted stats on "pressures" and/or "hurries" and Hart's numbers were crazy high.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Big Boss - 04-13-2021

God what an absolute shitshow.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Southpaw Frerotte - 04-13-2021

Quote:"The Bengals OL was charged with 23 sacks last season (PFF)

17 of those sacks are from guys not on the roster or depth players."

Technically, weren't all of the Bengals' offensive lineman "depth" players last year?

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - ochocincos - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 02:05 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Technically, weren't all of the Bengals' offensive lineman "depth" players last year?

Nope. In this context, depth = backup.
The planned starters going into the season were Williams-Jordan-Hopkins-Su'a Filo-Hart

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - bengaloo - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 02:05 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Technically, weren't all of the Bengals' offensive lineman "depth" players last year?

Pretty much. Just my opinion but outside of Williams about everyone on our OL last year should've just been backups. XSF and Spain helped a lot, but not enough. Jordan and Redmond dont even look like they belong in the NFL. Maybe Pollack will get more out of the OL, but we still have to hit it solid in the draft. We need at least 2, preferably 3, imo. 

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-13-2021

Then we are already muchly improved. Hope we don't have to watch Jordan start again, as Synric said, he just cannot
get low and the low man wins. Bringing in Reiff and bringing back Spain were great moves. Hopkins I hope comes back
100% cause he is a very good pass blocker. Draft Sewell or another OL in the first couple rounds and things will start to
turn around in both the running game and protecting Burrow.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - XenoMorph - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 12:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Joe Goodberry posted the following information regarding what each OL allowed in terms of hits and sacks on their QB.

I can't post his other tweets because he uses the F word in there, so I'll just post the metrics and you can access his twitter for the actual posts.

Williams - 6 hits, 3 sacks
Su'a Filo + Spain - 5 hits, 2 sacks
Hopkins - 1 hit, 1 sack
Reiff - 7 hits, 1 sack

Other guys from last year:
Jordan - 15 hits, 3 sacks (led all guards in QB hits allowed)
Hart - 8 hits, 4 sacks
Redmond - 2 hits, 3 sacks
Johnson - 5 hits, 2 sacks
Adeniji - 2 hits, 4 sacks

How many of these are on the OL for blown assignment or the QB for holding the ball to long?  do they have that break down? or sacks within 2.5 seconds

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Rubekahn29 - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 02:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: How many of these are on the OL for blown assignment or the QB for holding the ball to long?  do they have that break down? or sacks within 2.5 seconds

This 23 sacks are on Oline according to PFF, we were sacked more than 23 times last year. So I’m guessing the others were coverage, holding on too ball too long, etc.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - ochocincos - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 02:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: How many of these are on the OL for blown assignment or the QB for holding the ball to long?  do they have that break down? or sacks within 2.5 seconds

I believe these 23 sacks allowed by the OL don't count ones where the QB holds onto the ball too long, as that would be charged to the QB.
You can ask Joe Goodberry if he can find time from snap to sack and blown assignment.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - impactplaya - 04-13-2021

Then you have to.ask why was Joe holding the ball too long?

I attribute that alot to Zac and Brian not being imaginative enough
With route concepts etc etc.

And I blame Zac and Tobin for starting Michael Jordan

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - BigPapaKain - 04-13-2021

Super glad we signed *checks notes* one offensive lineman FA this go.

**** you, Bengals management.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Murdock2420 - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 03:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Then you have to.ask why was Joe holding the ball too long?

I attribute that alot to Zac and Brian not being imaginative enough
With route concepts etc etc.

And I blame Zac and Tobin for starting Michael Jordan

Because the offense was one dimensional. The line was allowing pressure with only 4 guys rushing. The safeties sat back because there was no running game. And far too often we went completely empty set.

Blame it on the line. Blame it on the WR's. Blame it on the rookie QB being a rookie. Blame it on the coaching staff and the play calling.

It all needs to be upgraded. No one player fixes this.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - fredtoast - 04-13-2021

I don't know how much Pollack will be able to help, but a lot of problems we had last year were more mental than physical.

Our O-linemen really struggled to pick up any kind of blitz or line stunt. I saw that happen more often than players just getting beaten one-on-one by speed or power.

When one player gives up a lot of pressures you look at that player. When every player on the line fails you need to look at the coach. Sometimes players just lack the metal capabilities to recognize, analyze, and react properly. But I am hoping the coaching change will help a lot.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - masonbengals fan - 04-13-2021

Knew it was bad but Jordan just flat out sucks. Coaching will help but this team needs a talent infusion on the line desperately.

RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - TheLeonardLeap - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 03:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know how much Pollack will be able to help, but a lot of problems we had last year were more mental than physical.

Our O-linemen really struggled to pick up any kind of blitz or line stunt.  I saw that happen more often than players just getting beaten one-on-one by speed or power.

When one player gives up a lot of pressures you look at that player.  When every player on the line fails you need to look at the coach.  Sometimes players just lack the metal capabilities to recognize, analyze, and react properly.  But I am hoping the coaching change will help a lot.

Mostly agreed, but also sometimes you just need to look at the talent level. 

Redmond: UDFA
F Johnson: UDFA
Hopkins: UDFA
Hart: 7th Rnd
Adeniji: 6th Rnd
Jordan: 4th Rnd

I'm not saying you can't have late round/UDFA guys who are high quality NFL players, and I am DEFINITELY not defending Jim Turner. I am just saying when a very large portion of the group are those types of guys, it can also simply be a lack of high ceiling talent. They're mostly going up against guys more athletic/better than them.

Even XSF was a higher round pick, but the Bengals signed him cheap off a team's bench for his age 29 season.

- - - - - - -

(Also their problem was picking up blitzes and stunts, so their answer was to get rid of their great pass blocking RB in a cap move despite having a ton of unspent cap space. Smart.)