Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition (/Thread-1-bad-and-1-good-off-season-addition)

Pages: 1 2 3

1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Amalone002 - 06-01-2021

Just was curious and wanted to know what is one under the radar signing, move or addition you liked this off season and one dislike.

-GOOD- I know I might be one of the few but I'm excited about the kicker we have (also love the trades back in the draft to be able to grab him). It may be small, and I haven't seen alot of him but I already have more confidence in McPherson than randy. I feel for the first time in a while I won't be cringing on hoping on kicks. I feel he can be really consistent, won't be j. Tucker automatic but I think he can be close.

- BAD- I'm still salty and don't understand not keeping m. Alexander. Felt he was am easy resign and brought alot to our defense last year especially in that steelers Monday night game. I know we signed a few others but still feel m. Alexander would be better than all of our signings (maybe Hilton can be better) but idk just don't get that.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - impactplaya - 06-01-2021

Good....Reilly Reiff. Gives this oline a proven olineman that is
Battled tested and played at a high level.plus it really paved the way
For drafting Chase

Bad. Not adding a proven vet TE to help solidify the TE room

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Amalone002 - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 10:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Good....Reilly Reiff. Gives this oline a proven olineman that is
Battled tested and played at a high level.plus it really paved the way
For drafting Chase

Bad. Not adding a proven vet TE to help solidify the TE room

Those are both good as well. I like the reiff one. 
Not many TEs to add though that are good and I'm not a fan of ertz like most .

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - bfine32 - 06-01-2021

Good- The DT from Cleveland

Bad- Cutting Geno

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Sled21 - 06-02-2021

(06-01-2021, 10:42 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Just was curious and wanted to know what is one under the radar signing, move or addition you liked this off season and one dislike.

-GOOD- I know I might be one of the few but I'm excited about the kicker we have (also love the trades back in the draft to be able to grab him). It may be small, and I haven't seen alot of him but I already have more confidence in McPherson  than  randy.  I feel for the first time in a while I won't be cringing on hoping on kicks. I feel he can be really consistent,  won't be j. Tucker  automatic but I think he can be close.

- BAD- I'm still salty and don't understand  not keeping m. Alexander.  Felt he was am easy resign and brought alot to our defense last year especially in that steelers Monday night game. I know we signed a few others but still feel m. Alexander would be better than all of our signings (maybe Hilton can be better) but idk just don't get that.

I hope I'm wrong and am rooting for the kid, but I fear we may miss the days of Fat Randy.
I liked M. Alexander, and wanted to resign him, but Hilton is better in that spot.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - TheLeonardLeap - 06-02-2021

Good Move: Signing Trey Hendrickson... not sure if he will reach 13.5 sacks again, but I like that he was a finisher in his pressures. Good number of TFL, too, and still young enough to keep getting better. We'll see if Lou is capable of setting him up for success.

Bad Move: Releasing Geno Atkins... he'll be with 2 healthy shoulders by the time the season rolls around and I won't bet against the future HoFer. It isn't how I would have liked for him to leave Cincinnati, and even worse they did basically nothing with the cap space, sitting on $25m right now.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Sled21 - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 09:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good Move: Signing Trey Hendrickson... not sure if he will reach 13.5 sacks again, but I like that he was a finisher in his pressures. Good number of TFL, too, and still young enough to keep getting better. We'll see if Lou is capable of setting him up for success.

Bad Move: Releasing Geno Atkins... he'll be with 2 healthy shoulders by the time the season rolls around and I won't bet against the future HoFer. It isn't how I would have liked for him to leave Cincinnati, and even worse they did basically nothing with the cap space, sitting on $25m right now.

I hated to see Geno released, as I think he will be back to form. However, he evidently did not want to restructure. He hasn't signed anywhere yet that I've heard, so he may be back cheaper.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - TheLeonardLeap - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I hated to see Geno released, as I think he will be back to form. However, he evidently did not want to restructure. He hasn't signed anywhere yet that I've heard, so he may be back cheaper.

Is he 100% from the surgery? Not sure. It was always absurd that they had a guy out there ineffectively playing with one arm rather than shutting him down and getting him the surgery he needed. Bengals also kind of screwed him by waiting until the big spending was done before releasing him. 

I do know the word is he's had talks with the Seahawks, Vikings, and Jags. Can't imagine he comes back here, cheaper no less, to play for Lou. Two of those teams are probably going to the playoffs this year. (Vikings might be division favorites in a Rodgers-less division.)

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - CJD - 06-02-2021

Good - I'm not sure you'd call it an under the radar signing, necessarily, but Mike Hilton is going to be amazing for this defense. Not only is he a super reliable slot cornerback in coverage, but he's also a really good blitzer. This signing helps both the pass coverage and the pass rush compared to who we had in that role last year. On top of all that, signing one of the better players away from the Steelers feels good. Strengthening us while weakening them at the same time.

Bad - Even tougher, as I think the worst moves we've made have not been under the radar (like letting Lawson leave) but if I had to choose a less prominent bad move, I'd say letting Bernard go. Here's the thing. We have an estimated 25 million dollars in cap space right now. If cutting Bernard's 4 million dollar salary allowed us to sign a big name free agent at an area of need or extend Bates or Hubbard, I'd understand the cut. But we didn't. We just pocketed the money and have not yet done anything with it (or the other 21 million dollars in cap space) yet. Bernard was very important in that he was actually an incredibly good pass blocker and pass catcher. This is what you need in a 3rd down back. Mixon is okay at blocking, but having him out there on a 3rd and long makes me nervous, especially with Burrow coming off an injury caused by poor protection. I also really don't like that, had Bernard been with the team in 2021, he would have broken the record for longest tenure as a Bengals RB (currently sitting at 8 seasons and 115 games, behind only James Brooks 8 seasons and 118 games). I would have liked to see him break that record. And now our 2nd running back is up for grabs among a career journeyman, a 6th round rookie and an undrafted free agent. It just seems silly to me, especially since he immediately signed with the reigning super bowl champs a day or two after we cut him, so there's obviously still the perception of value for him across the league.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - pally - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I hated to see Geno released, as I think he will be back to form. However, he evidently did not want to restructure. He hasn't signed anywhere yet that I've heard, so he may be back cheaper.

No one was going to sign him before Jun 1.  Now we will see if there is an actual market for him

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - SHRacerX - 06-02-2021

Trying to be different than everyone else:

GOOD: Chidobe Awuzie. Has great athleticism and was ascending before Dallas brought in Mike McCarthy. The money they gave him was such a savings compared to WJIII, who we all suspected he didn't really want to be here anyways (and judging by his parting shot, we were right), allowed them to also add Mike Hilton. To me, those two players compared to one WJIII isn't even close.

BAD: I know EVERYONE is excited about Ossai. I am as well. Love his athleticism. HOWEVER, they had Spencer Brown there for the taking, which would have given them a developmental prospect at RT that could have pushed for playing time by the end of this year and could be the next Andrew Whitworth. Yes, pass rush is important. Yes, sacks are sexy. Yes, Ossai is a freak.....I don't care. The Bengals had a chance to draft the most athletic tackle in the HISTORY of the NFL and did not have to push him to start right away. Buffalo got him and I think they will be a force for years to come.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - J24 - 06-02-2021

Good Riely Rieff- is solidifys the right Tackle position which has been a weakness for years.

Bad move Trey Hendrickson- He is a one hit wonder coming from a situation where he was the third best pass rusher and he mostly played in Nickel packages. Now he will be asked to be the guy and play over 60% of the snaps(which he never did in New Orleans).

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Bengalitis - 06-02-2021

Good - Draft on Defense

Bad - Zac and his coaches, specially Zach still calling the O plays. oh brother.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-02-2021

(06-01-2021, 10:42 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Just was curious and wanted to know what is one under the radar signing, move or addition you liked this off season and one dislike.

-GOOD- I know I might be one of the few but I'm excited about the kicker we have (also love the trades back in the draft to be able to grab him). It may be small, and I haven't seen alot of him but I already have more confidence in McPherson  than  randy.  I feel for the first time in a while I won't be cringing on hoping on kicks. I feel he can be really consistent,  won't be j. Tucker  automatic but I think he can be close.

- BAD- I'm still salty and don't understand  not keeping m. Alexander.  Felt he was am easy resign and brought alot to our defense last year especially in that steelers Monday night game. I know we signed a few others but still feel m. Alexander would be better than all of our signings (maybe Hilton can be better) but idk just don't get that.

Under the radar eh? Alright.

Good - Bringing in Ogunjobi to man the 3-tech spot where he belongs. Think he could have a very good year for us. Also think Trey
Hendrickson is a lot better than some might acknowledge and is in his prime. But a lot of people didn't know about Ogunjobi before 
we signed him, myself included. This guy will be a major upgrade over what we saw from the 3-tech position last season.

Bad - Keeping Lou around. This was the biggest head scratcher in my eyes this Offseason.

I like all the additions, didn't like losing Mack originally till we brought in Hilton who is even better.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Amalone002 - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 05:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Under the radar eh? Alright.

Good - Bringing in Ogunjobi to man the 3-tech spot where he belongs. Think he could have a very good year for us. Also think Trey
Hendrickson is a lot better than some might acknowledge and is in his prime. But a lot of people didn't know about Ogunjobi before 
we signed him, myself included. This guy will be a major upgrade over what we saw from the 3-tech position last season.

Bad - Keeping Lou around. This was the biggest head scratcher in my eyes this Offseason.

I like all the additions, didn't like losing Mack originally till we brought in Hilton who is even better.
I don't get the lou hate,  we were decimated by injuries last year, nobody could have a good D with types of pressures or lack their off from out line,  think we did good alot of the times with what we had especially shutting Lamar down that first meeting, offense couldn't score tho. 

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 05:11 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: I don't get the lou hate,  we were decimated by injuries last year, nobody could have a good D with types of pressures or lack their off from out line,  think we did good alot of the times with what we had especially shutting Lamar down that first meeting, offense couldn't score tho. 

Even when we had Reader, Lawson, Hubbard healthy our D was bad under him.

If we were really good when these guys were healthy I would agree with you but we were still terrible.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Amalone002 - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even when we had Reader, Lawson, Hubbard healthy our D was bad under him.

If we were really good when these guys were healthy I would agree with you but we were still terrible.

We had reader and nobody else tho, but geno with 1 arm.

Hubbard did nothing before his injury but was a beast once he got back.  Lawson was up and down. 

We have the pieces now,  especially depth so it will show this year but we was in bad shape from day 1 on D with wayans first to go and it just kept going.  
Bynes was super slow as well. 

Will be fine with Lou. We got the players now. 

(06-02-2021, 05:25 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: We had reader and nobody else tho, but geno with 1 arm.

Hubbard did nothing before his injury but was a beast once he got back.  Lawson was up and down. 

We have the pieces now,  especially depth so it will show this year but we was in bad shape from day 1 on D with wayans first to go and it just kept going.  
Bynes was super slow as well. 

Will be fine with Lou. We got the players now. 

Hope you are right, agree that we added a lot of really good players to the D for Lou to work with. No excuses this time around.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - Shake n Blake - 06-02-2021

Good- Larry Ogunjobi. People are underestimating this signing, just like they underestimated Wallace Gilberry. He will make a difference...especially when compared to the shell of Geno that we had last year.

Bad- the half effort we gave - yet again - towards fixing the o-line. A 2nd round pick and a decent-not-great player on a 1 year deal ain't gettin' it. Also, retaining Anarumo feels like delaying the inevitable.

RE: 1 bad and 1 good off-season addition - bengaloo - 06-02-2021

Good: I think Hendrickson, Hilton, Ogunjobi and Reiff were all very solid moves that will improve the team. Always liked Lawson, but wasnt that comfy with the idea of giving him a huge contract for being a "pressure artist" with a big injury history, and I think Hendrickson is going to surprise some folks.

Bad: Not hiring me as a sideline observer for all games home or away. They messed up on that one big time.