Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) (/Thread-Don-t-cheat-Which-Bengal-had-the-highest-catch-receptions-targets)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - SHRacerX - 06-03-2021

I was looking up the RB numbers on targets to try and project how many will go Mixon's way if he would be healthy all season.  (I settled on 60 targets with 50 receptions...but I digress).  

Looking at all the receivers outside of the RBs, who would you have guessed had the highest catch %?

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - SHRacerX - 06-03-2021

I was pretty shocked to learn it was Sample. Yes, he also had one of the lowest yards per reception, but I still found it interesting. The entire team looked pretty low per reception but I feel that was a product of the offensive line and teams not fearing getting beat over the top.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Stewy - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was pretty shocked to learn it was Sample.  Yes, he also had one of the lowest yards per reception, but I still found it interesting.  The entire team looked pretty low per reception but I feel that was a product of the offensive line and teams not fearing getting beat over the top.

That's what I guessed.  And it was a pure guess.  lol

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Dr.Z - 06-03-2021

Despite seeming to be a bit heavy-footed, I think he can prove to be an integral piece of the offense. Adding more firepower around him should distinguish his role more.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Wyche'sWarrior - 06-03-2021

Eye/memory/bias test says Boyd....but you realize he had a lot of targets. So I'm going Sample due to him most likely catching the minimal balls thrown his way.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Wyche'sWarrior - 06-03-2021

....and it appears I chose wisely....

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - TecmoBengals - 06-03-2021

I was wrong & voted Tate.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - leonardfan40 - 06-03-2021

I voted Sample because it seemed like a trick question. Been out of school a while but I guess I still got it when it comes to guessing on multiple choice questions. Also not surprising when you think about his type/number of targets and I don’t remember him having a ton of drops or anything.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - XenoMorph - 06-03-2021

i didnt vote cause i could see the answer in the second post the moment the thread opened... Was looking forward to the suspense.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Wes Mantooth - 06-03-2021

Here's some interesting stats from Drew Sample, which you can check here in the "Advanced Receiving and Rushing":

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SampDr00.htm

Yards Per Reception - 8.7
Yards Per Target - 6.0
Yards Before Catch - 3.8
Yards After Catch - 5.0
Total Yards Before Catch - 151
Total Yards After Catch - 198

Drew Sample average catch upon completion was under 4 yards.  Really try to wrap your head around that number.  3.8 yards.  That's insanely low.

He actually got more yards after the catch than he did in his route.  Does he strike you as the type of guy to elude tacklers?  The reason this number is what it is is because they would just dump it off to him, usually when he was completely uncovered.  Then he'd lumber forward until a defender would finally pick him up.

It should be no surprise he lead the team in catch percentage.  When the ball travels and average of 3.8 yards and you're usually completely uncovered it's only logical that you're going to have a higher catch percentage than those who actually running legitimate routes in legitmate coverages.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - grampahol - 06-03-2021

I pre-cheated.. I read the thread..
The question now is what'r ya gonna do about me pre-cheating? Am I deleted from your valentines card list now? Nervous

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - grampahol - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 10:57 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i didnt vote cause i could see the answer in the second post the moment the thread opened...     Was looking forward to the suspense.

Another pre-cheater.. Man..Valentines day is gonna be lonely isn't it? Mellow

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - GreenCornBengal - 06-03-2021

He dropped a few big ones which is all anyone can remember anyways. The outrage when the ball bounced off his helmet in the end zone is something I’ll never forget. There was also one in the corner of the end zone where Joe put it right on his hands and it bounced off. If he can fix those issues he will be a decent TE.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Goalpost - 06-03-2021

I wanted Pitts but that ship sailed before the pick. Very happy with Chase though anyway.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - Wes Mantooth - 06-03-2021

Here's a list of the top 41 Tight Ends in 2020 (I included Uzomah for the +1) and their Average Yards Before Catch:

Richard Rodgers - 10.4
Jared Cook - 10.3
Mike Gesicki - 10.1
Mark Andrews - 8.9
Dan Arnold - 8.5
Rob Gronkoski - 8.4
Irv Smith - 8.0
Travis Kelce - 7.9
Cameron Brate - 7.5
Cj Uzomah - 7.1
George Kittle - 7.0
Jack Doyle - 7.0
Robert Tonyan - 7.0
Dallas Goedert - 6.9
Zach Ertz - 6.9
Mo Alie-Cox - 6.8
Tyler Eifert - 6.6
Hunter Henry - 6.5
Eric Ebron - 6.5
Tyler Higbee - 6.4
Darren Fells - 6.4
Anthony Fisker - 6.3
Jordan Akins - 6.2
Kyle Rudolph - 6.1
TJ Hockenson - 5.9
Hayden Hurst - 5.8
Eric Ebron - 5.8
Trey Burton - 5.8
Darren Waller - 5.8
Austin Hooper - 5.7
Jordan Reed - 5.7
Logan Thomas - 5.3
Dalton Schultz - 5.3
Dawson Knox - 5.3
Jimmy Graham - 5.1
Jonnu Smith - 5.1
Chris Herndon - 5.1
Harrison Bryant - 5.0
Noah Fant - 4.8
Gerald Everett - 4.2
Drew Sample - 3.8

Now, keep in mind, these stats don't mean a whole bunch on their own.  Guys who get more work at a variety of routes will have lower averages then guys who strictly run on late downs and longer distances.  It doesn't mean they're better by any means.  Also, guys who get a ton of work in the Red Zone will have lower numbers as well.

But I think this illustrates the types of routes these guys were asked to run, and I think it gives a little more perspective.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - impactplaya - 06-03-2021

Im not surprised Samples % is highest on the team
His route tree was pretty simple last year.
Sample is never the #1 read on any dropback.
Thus defenders can afford to play off him a bit.
He catches alot of balls within 4-7 yds of the LOS
Hes not going to outrun anyone. He might break a tackle
Or 2 but he has the seperation speed of a recycle
Container.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - GreenCornBengal - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 11:55 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here's a list of the top 41 Tight Ends in 2020 (I included Uzomah for the +1) and their Average Yards Before Catch:

Richard Rodgers - 10.4
Jared Cook - 10.3
Mike Gesicki - 10.1
Mark Andrews - 8.9
Dan Arnold - 8.5
Rob Gronkoski - 8.4
Irv Smith - 8.0
Travis Kelce - 7.9
Cameron Brate - 7.5
Cj Uzomah - 7.1
George Kittle - 7.0
Jack Doyle - 7.0
Robert Tonyan - 7.0
Dallas Goedert - 6.9
Zach Ertz - 6.9
Mo Alie-Cox - 6.8
Tyler Eifert - 6.6
Hunter Henry - 6.5
Eric Ebron - 6.5
Tyler Higbee - 6.4
Darren Fells - 6.4
Anthony Fisker - 6.3
Jordan Akins - 6.2
Kyle Rudolph - 6.1
TJ Hockenson - 5.9
Hayden Hurst - 5.8
Eric Ebron - 5.8
Trey Burton - 5.8
Darren Waller - 5.8
Austin Hooper - 5.7
Jordan Reed - 5.7
Logan Thomas - 5.3
Dalton Schultz - 5.3
Dawson Knox - 5.3
Jimmy Graham - 5.1
Jonnu Smith - 5.1
Chris Herndon - 5.1
Harrison Bryant - 5.0
Noah Fant - 4.8
Gerald Everett - 4.2
Drew Sample - 3.8

Now, keep in mind, these stats don't mean a whole bunch on their own.  Guys who get more work at a variety of routes will have lower averages then guys who strictly run on late downs and longer distances.  It doesn't mean they're better by any means.  Also, guys who get a ton of work in the Red Zone will have lower numbers as well.

But I think this illustrates the types of routes these guys were asked to run, and I think it gives a little more perspective.

I have to assume Sample was kept in to block majority of the time and had some sort of delayed crosser or sit down route due to the necessity for extra protection last year. Definitely contributes to the lower numbers because of what they were asked to run like you said.

Is there a stat out there that shows how often a TE had a clean release vs a block then release?

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - SHRacerX - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 11:24 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here's some interesting stats from Drew Sample, which you can check here in the "Advanced Receiving and Rushing":

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SampDr00.htm

Yards Per Reception - 8.7
Yards Per Target - 6.0
Yards Before Catch - 3.8
Yards After Catch - 5.0
Total Yards Before Catch - 151
Total Yards After Catch - 198

Drew Sample average catch upon completion was under 4 yards.  Really try to wrap your head around that number.  3.8 yards.  That's insanely low.

He actually got more yards after the catch than he did in his route.  Does he strike you as the type of guy to elude tacklers?  The reason this number is what it is is because they would just dump it off to him, usually when he was completely uncovered.  Then he'd lumber forward until a defender would finally pick him up.

It should be no surprise he lead the team in catch percentage.  When the ball travels and average of 3.8 yards and you're usually completely uncovered it's only logical that you're going to have a higher catch percentage than those who actually running legitimate routes in legitmate coverages.

I know a couple of those were my personal favorite:  The TE screen.  Sample is underrated here as both a blocker and as a receiver.  Probably the fact that he was "overdrafted" in the minds of many in Rd 2.  

People would also probably be surprised to know that he has 19 more receptions than Uzomah did at this point in his career.  Both of their rookie seasons were pretty much a loss, but Sample's 40 receptions in his sophomore season was only surpassed by Uzomah ONCE in his career.  It was Uzo's fourth season where he had 43 receptions.

I hope both of them can get about 60 receptions in 2021, with Uzo getting more downfield shots and Sample moving the chains.  

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - TheLeonardLeap - 06-03-2021

I guessed Erickson just because I knew he was over 70%, though I didn't remember by how much or if it was most. Forgot that Sample was Captain Dinkanddunk with his RB-ish yards per catch.

RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - ochocincos - 06-03-2021

The shorter the routes, usually the higher the completion percentage.

The reality is Sample had the lowest YPR (8.7) of all TEs who had 30+ receptions.

He may be sure-handed, but he's not exciting as a pass catcher in any way, shape, or form.