Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Rival Talk (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Rival-Talk)
+--- Thread: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... (/Thread-Steelers-Had-The-Third-Worst-Offseason)

Pages: 1 2

Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BFritz21 - 06-03-2021

As we continue to improve, strengthen our roster, and build for the future, the Steelers look like a dumpster fire.

As ESPN points out, the Steelers had the third worst offseason in the NFL:

Quote:30. Pittsburgh Steelers

What went right: The Steelers got a pleasant surprise when JuJu Smith-Schuster's market failed to develop, leading the 24-year-old to return on a one-year, $8 million deal. It took voidable years to get Smith-Schuster back in the fold, which should tell you what a mess Pittsburgh's cap looks like. Given their lack of options at the position, the Steelers should also probably be happy that Ben Roethlisberger decided to return for another season, taking a $5 million pay cut in the process. And after agreeing to sign with the Jaguars, Tyson Alualu changed his mind and returned to the Steelers on a two-year, $5.5 million pact.

It sounds like they know it's the end of the line for Ben and possibly his last season, which what quality free agents are going to want to come to Pittsburgh, especially after this season, when they're losing all these pieces, including the biggest one, and have no money to offer them big contracts?

Quote:What went wrong: They were forced to eat their financial vegetables and watch Bud Dupree and Mike Hilton leave in free agency. With the organization moving on from Steven Nelson, cornerback has gone from being one of the team's biggest strengths to one of Pittsburgh's thinnest positions. Justin Layne, a third-round pick in 2019, has played only 117 defensive snaps over his first two seasons, but he might be one of the team's three top cornerbacks this season.

Losing one of your best corners can't be good, especially when you're losing one of your best pass rushers, who would make the defensive backs' lives easier.

Quote:The offensive line is also a mess, with the Steelers losing Maurkice Pouncey to retirement and both Matt Feiler and Alejandro Villanueva to free agency. They brought back B.J. Finney and used third- and fourth-round picks on linemen, but they project to be below average at as many as four positions. Their decision to try to revitalize the running game by using a first-round pick on Alabama star Najee Harris also seemed curious given what we know about the position.

Big Ben always helped mask how terrible the offensive line was with his ability to extend plays, but will even Ben be able to be elusive and extend plays at age 39 and having taken a beating, both with being hit by NFL players and college girls trying to fight him off in bar bathrooms?

Harris could help, but will teams just load the box, send blitzes/stunts, and dare Ben to beat them? Will he be able to?

Quote:What they could have done differently: Used their first-round pick on a lineman while signing one of the many running backs still available in free agency. Christian Darrisaw came off the board one pick before the Steelers at No. 23, but I have to think that they would have been better off with Darrisaw and a back such as Todd Gurley than they are with Harris and their current line situation.
Just another example of their franchise being run poorly. Taking the flashy pick instead of shoring up at positions of need.

Even without Geno, I think they're going to struggle with our new 3-4 defense and all the young guys we have up there, not to mention the rest of the division and league.

Quote:What's left to do: Start working on extensions for T.J. Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick. Plenty of teams would love to have this problem, but the Steelers will have to find a way to extend their two young stars on defense over the next two years while struggling with cap constraints. Roethlisberger could retire after the 2021 season, but the franchise will still be on the hook for nearly $16 million in dead money between their longtime quarterback and Smith-Schuster in 2022.

Are Watt and Fitzpatrick even going to want to come back? The team will be in salary cap hell, limiting the money they can get, and will be in rebuilding mode with a new QB (probably) and new receivers, which who's going to want to come play for a rookie QB, especially if they have a halfway decent season and aren't in a position to pick an elite QB early in the draft?

For what it's worth, the Bengals had the 9th worst, but that projection is based off of Jonah not being able to lock down the left tackle position, Carman not developing, and our young guys not being able to make an impact, which I think they're underestimating Pollack coaching the line and then what switching to a 3-4 could do for our defense as a whole.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Hammerstripes - 06-04-2021

(06-03-2021, 03:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: As we continue to improve, strengthen our roster, and build for the future, the Steelers look like a dumpster fire.

As ESPN points out, the Steelers had the third worst offseason in the NFL:

It sounds like they know it's the end of the line for Ben and possibly his last season, which what quality free agents are going to want to come to Pittsburgh, especially after this season, when they're losing all these pieces, including the biggest one, and have no money to offer them big contracts?

Losing one of your best corners can't be good, especially when you're losing one of your best pass rushers, who would make the defensive backs' lives easier.

Big Ben always helped mask how terrible the offensive line was with his ability to extend plays, but will even Ben be able to be elusive and extend plays at age 39 and having taken a beating, both with being hit by NFL players and college girls trying to fight him off in bar bathrooms?

Harris could help, but will teams just load the box, send blitzes/stunts, and dare Ben to beat them?  Will he be able to?

Just another example of their franchise being run poorly.  Taking the flashy pick instead of shoring up at positions of need.  

Even without Geno, I think they're going to struggle with our new 3-4 defense and all the young guys we have up there, not to mention the rest of the division and league.

Are Watt and Fitzpatrick even going to want to come back?  The team will be in salary cap hell, limiting the money they can get, and will be in rebuilding mode with a new QB (probably) and new receivers, which who's going to want to come play for a rookie QB, especially if they have a halfway decent season and aren't in a position to pick an elite QB early in the draft?

For what it's worth, the Bengals had the 9th worst, but that projection is based off of Jonah not being able to lock down the left tackle position, Carman not developing, and our young guys not being able to make an impact, which I think they're underestimating Pollack coaching the line and then what switching to a 3-4 could do for our defense as a whole.

All legitimate concerns. 

I don't really know how the 3-4 has anything to do with this, we are rarely in base defense.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-08-2021

The Steelers certainly are looking to be in a downward spiral. Predicting them to be the doormat of the AFC North this year.

If Lamar stays healthy the Ravens will still be tough, but if he doesn't stay healthy the Browns I think could be our toughest
Divisional foe this season. Stacked in the trenches, I think we improved ourselves here a lot though and should at least split
with the Browns.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BFritz21 - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Steelers certainly are looking to be in a downward spiral. Predicting them to be the doormat of the AFC North this year.

If Lamar stays healthy the Ravens will still be tough, but if he doesn't stay healthy the Browns I think could be our toughest
Divisional foe this season. Stacked in the trenches, I think we improved ourselves here a lot though and should at least split
with the Browns.

I've been predicting the Steelers demise for the past ten years or so and they somehow always prove me wrong.

I do believe, as the article points out, that this season could be different though just because, as I pointed out, it looks like Ben's at the end of his rope and can't extend plays like he used to.  

I think it all falls apart without Ben.

Browns have arguably the best offensive line in the NFL and I think Mayfield could make some noise if teams don't find a way to pressure him because his confidence will only grow, which I'm actually hoping that Burrow gets that kind of loud, leadership confidence because I don't think we've had that in recent times.  Dalton could be loud and enthusiastic, but he didn't really have that "put the team on my back and lead us to victory" ability to go with it, and Palmer had the ability but never really seemed that vocal.

Agree on the Ravens.

I wish I had more faith in Taylor.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BigPapaKain - 06-08-2021

Another article spelling the Steelers doom. Another instance of me twirling my fingers saying 'woo-hoo' as sarcastically as I can.

I'll believe it when I see it.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Bmore Birds - 06-09-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Steelers certainly are looking to be in a downward spiral. Predicting them to be the doormat of the AFC North this year.

with the Browns.

Stop with the 'if Lamar stays healthy' BS. 

He will eventually get hurt like every other player does. Look up the stats (please), QBs are much more likely to get injured in the pocket. RGIII has scarred your brain. Remember Steve Young, Vick, Cunningham, Cam, McNabb and basically every other mobile QB who had long careers? Btw Lamar has never missed a game due to injury. He missed one for Covid and another resting because he led his team to the #1 seed. For the Bengals sake, you're hoping this is the year he does get hurt. If not, we'll be resting our starters by the 4th quarter again and letting Zac kick meaningless FGs.

You should be more concerned about your own QB's health and his coaches & Oline's ability to protect him.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Bmore Birds - 06-09-2021

(06-08-2021, 10:24 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Another article spelling the Steelers doom. Another instance of me twirling my fingers saying 'woo-hoo' as sarcastically as I can.

I'll make a friendly bet with you that they finish under .500, I think they go 7-10. The Bengals should be a tough matchup for them because of Cincy's strength at WR and the Steelers losing Nelson & Hilton. The Steelers may have a hard time matching points with the Bengals. 

Maybe we can bet a temporary name or whatever is customary here.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BigPapaKain - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 02:17 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: I'll make a friendly bet with you that they finish under .500, I think they go 7-10. The Bengals should be a tough matchup for them because of Cincy's strength at WR and the Steelers losing Nelson & Hilton. The Steelers may have a hard time matching points with the Bengals. 

Maybe we can bet a temporary name or whatever is customary here.

It's usually a signature, but I'm not one to use a signature. But I guess whichever of us loses can put a line in there saying "I was wrong about the Steelers" or whatever. Bet originator's call.

Besides, I'm not saying they're going to the Super Bowl by any means - I'm simply stating that us Bengals fans have been chomping at the bit for the Steelers to fall on their faces for a LONG time and they've been making the playoffs every year despite preseason analysis and our collective hopes and dreams.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-09-2021

(06-08-2021, 08:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been predicting the Steelers demise for the past ten years or so and they somehow always prove me wrong.

I do believe, as the article points out, that this season could be different though just because, as I pointed out, it looks like Ben's at the end of his rope and can't extend plays like he used to.  

I think it all falls apart without Ben.

Browns have arguably the best offensive line in the NFL and I think Mayfield could make some noise if teams don't find a way to pressure him because his confidence will only grow, which I'm actually hoping that Burrow gets that kind of loud, leadership confidence because I don't think we've had that in recent times.  Dalton could be loud and enthusiastic, but he didn't really have that "put the team on my back and lead us to victory" ability to go with it, and Palmer had the ability but never really seemed that vocal.

Agree on the Ravens.

I wish I had more faith in Taylor.

Yeah, what is tough about the Stains is that running game behind that O-line. It takes pressure off of Mayfield and opens up 
Play Action for them. You have to shut the run down to have a chance. I like the guys we brought in with Reader, Hendrickson,
Shelvin, Ossai, Cam Sample, Wyatt Hubert cause they can all stop the run along with Hubbard. This is where we needed to 
improve the most this Offseason, we will see if we can stay healthy.

(06-08-2021, 10:24 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Another article spelling the Steelers doom. Another instance of me twirling my fingers saying 'woo-hoo' as sarcastically as I can.

Lol, true enough.

(06-09-2021, 02:10 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Stop with the 'if Lamar stays healthy' BS. 

He will eventually get hurt like every other player does. Look up the stats (please), QBs are much more likely to get injured in the pocket. RGIII has scarred your brain. Remember Steve Young, Vick, Cunningham, Cam, McNabb and basically every other mobile QB who had long careers? Btw Lamar has never missed a game due to injury. He missed one for Covid and another resting because he led his team to the #1 seed. For the Bengals sake, you're hoping this is the year he does get hurt. If not, we'll be resting our starters by the 4th quarter again and letting Zac kick meaningless FGs.

You should be more concerned about your own QB's health and his coaches & Oline's ability to protect him.

Good points Bmore, cannot argue with any of them. Just think a bigger hit is more likely to happen outside of the pocket when a
QB is running similar to what happened to Trent Green back in the day. They protect the QB in the pocket more so today but you 
are correct, Burrow got hurt in the pocket and it happens more often as you said. Lamar is also a natural at making Defenders 
miss and avoiding the big hits.

And I am more concerned about Burrow's health and the O-line's ability to protect him. I do like the players we brought in though 
in Riley Reiff, Jackson Carman, Spain, XSF, D'Ante Smith and Trey Hill along with Pollack coming back as our OL coach.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - Bmore Birds - 06-10-2021

My bad Nate, I know you're one of the coolest people on here. I just get tired of hearing it especially since I spent a lot of time looking at the data when we drafted Lamar and I also see how good his vision and ability to avoid hits are.

Again, my apologies. I have a lot of respect for you here. Guess you guys found my sensitive spot :)

(06-09-2021, 07:24 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's usually a signature, but I'm not one to use a signature. But I guess whichever of us loses can put a line in there saying "I was wrong about the Steelers" or whatever. Bet originator's call.

Besides, I'm not saying they're going to the Super Bowl by any means - I'm simply stating that us Bengals fans have been chomping at the bit for the Steelers to fall on their faces for a LONG time and they've been making the playoffs every year despite preseason analysis and our collective hopes and dreams.

Ok sounds good. How about we use 8 wins as the baseline? 8 wins is a draw. If they go 9-8 or better I will create a signature and say you were right. If they go 7-10 or worse, vice versa. For the love of whatever's holy, let's hope I'm right  Wink

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BigPapaKain - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 01:44 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Ok sounds good. How about we use 8 wins as the baseline? 8 wins is a draw. If they go 9-8 or better I will create a signature and say you were right. If they go 7-10 or worse, vice versa. For the love of whatever's holy, let's hope I'm right  Wink

Sounds fair. Good luck to you sir.

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - JS-Steelerfan - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 07:22 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Sounds fair. Good luck to you sir.

For Tomlin’s tenure with the team, the Steelers’ version of a demise, to borrow Brad’s phrase, has been to finish 8-8.  I’m hoping that trend continues, because I definitely don’t see them matching last year’s record.  And, for the record, I think Brad is right that a lot of it hinges on Ben.  But, let’s not forget that they recently played almost an entire season without him and went … 8-8.  

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BigPapaKain - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 10:29 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: For Tomlin’s tenure with the team, the Steelers’ version of a demise, to borrow Brad’s phrase, has been to finish 8-8.  I’m hoping that trend continues, because I definitely don’t see them matching last year’s record.  And, for the record, I think Brad is right that a lot of it hinges on Ben.  But, let’s not forget that they recently played almost an entire season without him and went … 8-8.  

That's honestly what I'm hedging my bet on.

Tomlin does some dumb shit, but his record speaks for itself (in terms of pure win/loss I mean).

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - rfaulk34 - 06-10-2021

(06-09-2021, 02:10 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Stop with the 'if Lamar stays healthy' BS. 

Uh oh...

KoD

(06-10-2021, 01:36 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: My bad Nate, I know you're one of the coolest people on here. I just get tired of hearing it especially since I spent a lot of time looking at the data when we drafted Lamar and I also see how good his vision and ability to avoid hits are.

Again, my apologies. I have a lot of respect for you here. Guess you guys found my sensitive spot :)

Two apologies? ****ing brown noser.  Cool

(06-10-2021, 01:44 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Ok sounds good. How about we use 8 wins as the baseline? 8 wins is a draw. If they go 9-8 or better I will create a signature and say you were right. If they go 7-10 or worse, vice versa. For the love of whatever's holy, let's hope I'm right  Wink

Why not 8-9? That's still sub .500

RE: Steelers Had The Third-Worst Offseason... - BFritz21 - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 10:29 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: For Tomlin’s tenure with the team, the Steelers’ version of a demise, to borrow Brad’s phrase, has been to finish 8-8.  I’m hoping that trend continues, because I definitely don’t see them matching last year’s record.  And, for the record, I think Brad is right that a lot of it hinges on Ben.  But, let’s not forget that they recently played almost an entire season without him and went … 8-8.  

They have no prayer of finishing near 8-8 (I know there's 17 games now, but I said "near").  

They have a new weapon in Harris and still have a few decent players, but I think that everything falls apart if Ben's not at the top of his game, which he's obviously not.  

You also forget that the defense played out of their minds in 2019 and had one of the better turnover ratios in the NFL at +8 or something.

Ben's falling apart and I think the rest of the team goes with him.  The way last year ended is an indication of things to come.

(06-10-2021, 07:22 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Sounds fair. Good luck to you sir.

And terrible luck on this bet to you as well.  Wink

(06-10-2021, 02:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Two apologies? ****ing brown noser.  Cool

I indeed have made some questionable, jinx worthy, soft posts in this thread. The Bengals might be rubbing off on me.

You're doing some talking here but I don't see a prediction. What you got Ren & Stimpy?