Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws (/Thread-SCOTUS-6-3-decision-upholds-restrictive-AZ-voting-laws)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - BmorePat87 - 07-01-2021

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/561092-supreme-court-leaves-arizona-voting-restrictions-in-place

The Supreme Court overturned a lower court's decision regarding two restrictive voting laws in Arizona. The laws would make it a crime for anyone other than family members and caretakers to collect and mail someone's absentee ballot and also require poll workers to throw out all ballots cast in the wrong precinct.

The lower court decision noted the disproportionate impact this had on minority voters, but the conservative justices on the Supreme Court rejected this, suggesting that the laws were not written in a manner that openly targeted minority voters, seemingly giving a free pass to any of the new GOP voting restrictions aimed at curbing voting practices that disproportionately impact Democratic voting minorities without openly stating that as the reason.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - NATI BENGALS - 07-01-2021

If that’s all it is. Only family members and caretakers can handle absentee ballots and tossing ballots in the wrong precinct I don’t have a problem with it.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-01-2021

I think this is indicative of the fate of the current voting rights act in Congress if it ever passed, which appears highly unlikely at this point.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Benton - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 06:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If that’s all it is. Only family members and caretakers can handle absentee ballots and tossing ballots in the wrong precinct I don’t have a problem with it.

Same.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - BmorePat87 - 07-02-2021

(07-01-2021, 06:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If that’s all it is. Only family members and caretakers can handle absentee ballots and tossing ballots in the wrong precinct I don’t have a problem with it.

Those two specific measures were enacted because they disproportionately impact minority voters who are more likely to move or have their districts changed frequently by election boards. They're also more likely to have to take advantage of community groups who assist in gathering absentee ballots for older or disabled voters. 

So while at the surface the individuals laws do not seem as nefarious, they are intended to stop minority voters.

More importantly, though, the arguments by the majority suggested that they are not concerned with measures aimed at creating a disadvantage on the basis of race or measures that evidence show create that disadvantage so long as the law does not openly state an intent to create that disadvantage. 

This decision green lights a host of laws being passed at the state level that target minority voters without stating so. 

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - NATI BENGALS - 07-02-2021

(07-02-2021, 05:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Those two specific measures were enacted because they disproportionately impact minority voters who are more likely to move or have their districts changed frequently by election boards. They're also more likely to have to take advantage of community groups who assist in gathering absentee ballots for older or disabled voters. 

So while at the surface the individuals laws do not seem as nefarious, they are intended to stop minority voters.

More importantly, though, the arguments by the majority suggested that they are not concerned with measures aimed at creating a disadvantage on the basis of race or measures that evidence show create that disadvantage so long as the law does not openly state an intent to create that disadvantage. 

This decision green lights a host of laws being passed at the state level that target minority voters without stating so. 

Make a plan to vote. Isn’t that a thing? I guess I don’t see the problem because I have voted at the same place since I have been able to vote. But I get a card in the mail that tells me before the elections where my voting place is. If I’m moving during election season an absentee ballot seems like the way to go I would think.

It should be easy to vote. It should also be easy to count the votes. If you don’t vote in the right place that’s on you not someone else to fix your error.

There are probably stricter chain of custody controls on urine samples. With all the shady shit Republicans are doing to elections now I wouldn’t want anybody other than family and caretakers handling mail in ballots.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - BmorePat87 - 07-03-2021

(07-02-2021, 08:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Make a plan to vote. Isn’t that a thing? I guess I don’t see the problem because I have voted at the same place since I have been able to vote. But I get a card in the mail that tells me before the elections where my voting place is. If I’m moving during election season an absentee ballot seems like the way to go I would think.

It should be easy to vote. It should also be easy to count the votes. If you don’t vote in the right place that’s on you not someone else to fix your error.

There are probably stricter chain of custody controls on urine samples. With all the shady shit Republicans are doing to elections now I wouldn’t want anybody other than family and caretakers handling mail in ballots.

It seems easy until you're in an area that does not have as many resources to easily identify your voting location or you recently moved and have not received confirmation of your new voting location. Or you find that the school down the road isn't actually in your precinct, you instead have to travel much further to votes. Mistakes can happen, and many states will rectify the situation by allowing provisional ballots when you go to the incorrect voting precinct and then transfer those provisional ballots to the correct precinct, rather than just throwing away ballots after the fact. But, their intent is to ensure that people's votes count not to find a way to throw out more minority-casted ballots. 

Again, though, the big component is the fact that the decision argues that laws enacted to disproportionately impact minorities are ok so long as they do not openly state that intent. 

If a state reduces voting locations in primarily Latino areas or bans religious groups from assisting elderly voters in states where this practice is mostly conducted by Black churches, it won't be an issue because the laws did not state that the intent was to curb voting for minorities. 

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 07-04-2021

Is it upholds restricting voting practices or shores up voting procedures. Or really should just be titled upholds AZ voting practices and let the reader decide what they think of an article instead of stamping their opinion to it right off the bat.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Cicero - 07-04-2021

The thing that bothers me is the presumption that minorities are some how less capable than other people of voting and getting an ID.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Dill - 07-04-2021

(07-04-2021, 06:10 PM)Cicero Wrote: The thing that bothers me is the presumption that minorities are some how less capable than other people of voting and getting an ID.

Is that the presumption, though? 

This particular ruling is not about voter ID laws, but you'd agree that such laws can place greater hardship on the elderly, who in some states must travel to track and acquire birth and marriage certificates, paying fees at every stop, right? 
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/644648955/for-older-voters-getting-the-right-id-can-be-especially-tough

"If you are elderly and you were born in a rural area [or] born during Jim Crow, you may not have ever gotten a birth certificate."
At Action Ministries in Atlanta, another Spread The Vote partner, volunteer Billie Remsa says she has mainly helped older people. And she says that one of the obstacles they face is that "most of them don't drive anymore. So taking four buses to go downtown so that they can get their picture ID, these require funds. They don't have them."

So in addition to paying for documents, the group drives people to where they need to go to get them.

Another complication that affects mainly older women is the name changes that come with marriage and divorce. Fallon McClure, head of Spread The Vote in Georgia, explains that the state wants documentation for every single name-changing event.

"We've had people that, for instance, didn't know where one of the divorces occurred," says McClure. "So how do you get a divorce decree if you don't even know what county to look for it in?"

What bothers me is the presumption that voter fraud is a widespread problem that must be fixed by laws selected to affect different demographics differently, when it is not a widespread problem. Their effect is less to eliminate a problem than to increase difficulties in select districts and for select demographic groups--without mentioning race.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Cicero - 07-05-2021

(07-04-2021, 08:42 PM)Dill Wrote:
Is that the presumption, though? 

This particular ruling is not about voter ID laws, but you'd agree that such laws can place greater hardship on the elderly, who in some states must travel to track and acquire birth and marriage certificates, paying fees at every stop, right? 
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/644648955/for-older-voters-getting-the-right-id-can-be-especially-tough

"If you are elderly and you were born in a rural area [or] born during Jim Crow, you may not have ever gotten a birth certificate."
At Action Ministries in Atlanta, another Spread The Vote partner, volunteer Billie Remsa says she has mainly helped older people. And she says that one of the obstacles they face is that "most of them don't drive anymore. So taking four buses to go downtown so that they can get their picture ID, these require funds. They don't have them."

So in addition to paying for documents, the group drives people to where they need to go to get them.

Another complication that affects mainly older women is the name changes that come with marriage and divorce. Fallon McClure, head of Spread The Vote in Georgia, explains that the state wants documentation for every single name-changing event.

"We've had people that, for instance, didn't know where one of the divorces occurred," says McClure. "So how do you get a divorce decree if you don't even know what county to look for it in?"

What bothers me is the presumption that voter fraud is a widespread problem that must be fixed by laws selected to affect different demographics differently, when it is not a widespread problem. Their effect is less to eliminate a problem than to increase difficulties in select districts and for select demographic groups--without mentioning race.

Sure that makes sense right after Jim Crow. Getting an ID and making plans to vote in today's world is a little different. You have to go through a process to get social security and if you've done that you have everything you need to vote. Low expectations is a form of bigotry.     

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Dill - 07-06-2021

(07-05-2021, 11:19 AM)Cicero Wrote: Sure that makes sense right after Jim Crow. Getting an ID and making plans to vote in today's world is a little different. You have to go through a process to get social security and if you've done that you have everything you need to vote. Low expectations is a form of bigotry.     

Thanks for responding, Cicero. You understand that the article in my link is referring to "today's world," right? 

It is today that many elderly have to go back and get birth certificates and copies of their marriage documents, etc.

The issue is not "low expectations," but whether people who have been voting all their lives suddenly have a lot of obstacles that
weren't there before, including monetary costs. 

If the bolded is correct, then the organizations who are trying to help these elderly get over the obstacles are "bigots" because they expect that 
it will be hard for them to meet the new voting standards, 

but the people who created the standards to reduce their vote are not.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - michaelsean - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 11:17 AM)Dill Wrote: Thanks for responding, Cicero. You understand that the article in my link is referring to "today's world," right? 

It is today that many elderly have to go back and get birth certificates and copies of their marriage documents, etc.

The issue is not "low expectations," but whether people who have been voting all their lives suddenly have a lot of obstacles that

If the bolded is correct, then the organizations who are trying to help these elderly get over the obstacles are "bigots" because they expect that 

Aren’t the elderly a pretty reliable group for Republicans?

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - michaelsean - 07-06-2021

I’ve had my voting place changed three times in my twenty years so that’s four locations. We are a middle class enclave with a median income of $39,000. Somehow we figured it out.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 07:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Aren’t the elderly a pretty reliable group for Republicans?

Please, don't disrupt the narrative.

(07-06-2021, 07:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’ve had my voting place changed three times in my twenty years so that’s four locations. We are a middle class enclave with a median income of $39,000.  Somehow we figured it out.

Please, don't disrupt the narrative.

But seriously folks.  While I certainly see some attempt to suppress low income voters I cannot reconcile the obvious preconception that "minority voters" cannot navigate the same rules and regulations as non minority voters.  I was of the impression that seeing reduced ability in a person because of their ethnicity was, well, racist.  I guess not then?

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - NATI BENGALS - 07-06-2021

(07-01-2021, 01:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/561092-supreme-court-leaves-arizona-voting-restrictions-in-place

The Supreme Court overturned a lower court's decision regarding two restrictive voting laws in Arizona. The laws would make it a crime for anyone other than family members and caretakers to collect and mail someone's absentee ballot and also require poll workers to throw out all ballots cast in the wrong precinct.

The lower court decision noted the disproportionate impact this had on minority voters, but the conservative justices on the Supreme Court rejected this, suggesting that the laws were not written in a manner that openly targeted minority voters, seemingly giving a free pass to any of the new GOP voting restrictions aimed at curbing voting practices that disproportionately impact Democratic voting minorities without openly stating that as the reason.

I'm not really sure how i feel about the mail in voting. It is ripe for the cheaters, scumbags, and conmen. They will go through great lengths to rig an election (think massive russian psyops disinformation campaign) and I feel like its proliferation creates another vulnerability. When dealing with the general public we need to K.I.S.S.
https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-government-and-politics-d34effeea6c341d6c44146931127caff
https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-technology-arrests-michigan-voting-rights-5f035e2a68394f9765d9c0d500538d94
https://apnews.com/article/miami-senate-elections-florida-elections-e8b70ce3270bd170e37a71ca80b5aaae

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - hollodero - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 11:17 AM)Dill Wrote: Thanks for responding, Cicero. You understand that the article in my link is referring to "today's world," right? 

So what if it were easier to get voter ID (say you don't need a birth certificate and copies of a dozen lost documents if you eg. have witnesses), if it weren't that much of a burden, would you be open to voter ID laws then?

My position, honestly, every effort that is also required to receive healthcare benefits is not really too much to ask.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Dill - 07-10-2021

(07-06-2021, 07:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Aren’t the elderly a pretty reliable group for Republicans?

Not Black elderly in Southern states.

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - Dill - 07-10-2021

(07-06-2021, 11:32 PM)hollodero Wrote: So what if it were easier to get voter ID (say you don't need a birth certificate and copies of a dozen lost documents if you eg. have witnesses), if it weren't that much of a burden, would you be open to voter ID laws then?

My position, honestly, every effort that is also required to receive healthcare benefits is not really too much to ask.

Sure, if it were "easier."  My only objection then might be--is it worth the cost? 

For example in 2012, before Minnesota held a state referendum on voter ID, the projected costs to county/municipal. governments was 26.5-63.6 million. For the state gov., 9.5-13.5 million. The cost to individual voters ranged from 16-72 million.
https://ceimn.org/sites/default/files/Cost-of-Minnesotas-Proposed-Elections-Amendment_corrected.pdf.

But is there a "voter fraud" problem of the type which can be fixed by a voter id? 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-12/minnesota-ballot-suit-tossed-by-judge-citing-000004-fraud-rate
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/01/10/reality-check-voter-fraud-minnesota/

I don't think so.

A president calling state officials in charge of counting the votes to pressure them to come up with the right number is a FAR greater threat to democratic process, isn't it? One weak official might throw an entire state.

So the question is why does one party--the one with the president who leans on voting officials in swing states--want these laws? Everyone following this discussion from 2016 knows that Trump claimed 3-5 million voted illegally to give Hillary the popular vote. No voting official in any Republican state could find evidence for that. His 60 lawsuits fell through in 2020. Yet his followers continue to perceive "voter fraud" as the real threat real to election integrity. 

Recognizing these laws create obstacles for a demographic which has traditionally voted Democrat, enough to shave percentages off close votes in swing states, Democrats have opposed them. 

In response, a new element has been added to the Republican voter fraud narrative, namely that standing up for elderly most affected by the new and unnecessary laws is "soft bigotry."  I.e., assuming that the voter id might be a serious burden for an elderly woman who cannot drive, has no birth certificate, and has to pay for copies of a marriage certificate/change of name is recast to imply a claim that Black people in general cannot navigate the system well enough to get ids. One red herring follows another; if an elderly person in a wheel chair and no car is forced to travel to another state to get a birth certificate, using who knows what documents, it is suddenly "racist" to express concern that she might sacrifice her vote to solve a non problem.

So there is a cost/effect question here for every state--spend millions to solve a non-problem, and disenfranchise some voters along the way? Or leave things as they, and don't burden these older voters? 

A final consideration--what is the incentive for people pushing these unnecessary laws to make it "easier" for people to get them? 

RE: SCOTUS 6-3 decision upholds restrictive AZ voting laws - hollodero - 07-12-2021

(07-10-2021, 03:32 PM)Dill Wrote: Sure, if it were "easier."  My only objection then might be--is it worth the cost? 

For example in 2012, before Minnesota held a state referendum on voter ID, the projected costs to county/municipal. governments was 26.5-63.6 million. For the state gov., 9.5-13.5 million. The cost to individual voters ranged from 16-72 million.
https://ceimn.org/sites/default/files/Cost-of-Minnesotas-Proposed-Elections-Amendment_corrected.pdf.

But is there a "voter fraud" problem of the type which can be fixed by a voter id? 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-12/minnesota-ballot-suit-tossed-by-judge-citing-000004-fraud-rate
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/01/10/reality-check-voter-fraud-minnesota/

I don't think so.

A president calling state officials in charge of counting the votes to pressure them to come up with the right number is a FAR greater threat to democratic process, isn't it? One weak official might throw an entire state.

Well, sure, of course it is. So is your whole voting system with machines and whatnot, or Russians hacking into this sysem in all 50 states. It certainly appears cynical to refuse all efforts to harden the systems against things like hacking attempts and then demand a voter ID law to make elections secure.

Only issue is, comparisons like that don't make the proposal inherently bad.

As for the politics behind it, if I were Biden or someone else high up in the ranks, I would use this as a negotiation chip. Something I feel Democrats could be more inclined to do more often. ID laws in eschange for a federal voting bill, or something like that.

Aside from this aspect though, the counter-arguments appear a bit weak to me. One is saying that IDs are not necessary since fraud is not really an issue. Well, I have two problems with it, for one it is said often that every fraudulent vote is one too many, and I think that is a very sound principle to pursue. This might be more about psychology than about real outcome change through possible fraud, for sure.
The other thing is - how could one be so certain that the studies regarding fraud are that conclusive. To declare fraud a non-issue implies every single fraud case can be found out sooner or later, if only after putting additional research in. I feel it might very well just be that some are never found out, that some more elaborate schemes even pass by the researchers and their sampling. - And even if that cannot be so, I'm also not so certain that any status quo (=it rarely happens) will hold. The climate gets more extreme every day, and so it might be fair to assume that the number of people who are ready to find new ways to help their side in the future will only rise in time.

On the other hand, there are these people with no single picture IDs. And that is something I can't quite wrap my head around really. How can this even work? Without any ID, people can not apply for the ACA, can not have a bank account, they can possibly not rent an apartment or rent anything for that matter, they sure can not drive; are these really that many people? I can't really imagine that, this is close to not participating in this world. And if it's indeed a significant number of folks, would it not be reasonable to assume getting these people an ID would help then in more ways than one? With healthcare, especially.

Lastly, for the costs, yeah you can spend money better, but that is true for many things. Also, I figure money issues no longer apply to the US, the way you put one trillion here and one trillion there as if it were nothing. These few millions for voting IDs do not really scare me much. But sure, I am from a country where picture ID is an absolute necessity for voting and I would not want to have it any other way really. To me, it appears not pointless at all to establish such a rule. And even if it's only for increased confidence in the process more than anything else.