Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Destruction of the Big 12. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-General-Sports)
+--- Forum: All Other Sports (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Other-Sports)
+--- Thread: The Destruction of the Big 12. (/Thread-The-Destruction-of-the-Big-12)

Pages: 1 2

The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 07-24-2021

You've probably heard by now that Oklahoma and Texas are will likely be joining the SEC which makes the Big 12 an 8 team conference and out of the Power 5. There have been discussions by the Big 12 merging with the Pac 12 to make a 20 team conference but that would hurt a team like WVU with travel time. The ACC should add the already almost member Notre Dame and WVU to form their own 16 team league like the SEC. If WVU joins the ACC it would being back several rivalry games like the backyard brawl WVU vs Pittsburgh and Another one with WVU vs VT.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - BengalHawk62 - 07-24-2021

There’s also reports out there saying the SEC has been in contact with Ohio State and Michigan about joining. This thing isn’t over yet.

My hope is they do away with all conferences and start playing regionally. Have an East, Midwest, West, South Central and South East regions.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Stewy - 07-24-2021

(07-24-2021, 12:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: There’s also reports out there saying the SEC has been in contact with Ohio State and Michigan about joining.  This thing isn’t over yet.

I don't believe this for a second.  #1 - This is all about money, and OSU already makes more in the Big Ten than they would in the SEC, and #2 - There is no #2 because it's all about money an the Big Ten TV deal makes the Big 10 the richest conference already.  Now that will likely change when Texas and OU join the SEC, but it won't be an overwhelming difference.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Stewy - 07-24-2021

(07-24-2021, 09:55 AM)Synric Wrote: You've probably heard by now that Oklahoma and Texas are will likely be joining the SEC which makes the Big 12 an 8 team conference and out of the Power 5. There have been discussions by the Big 12 merging with the Pac 12 to make a 20 team conference but that would hurt a team like WVU with travel time. The ACC should add the already almost member Notre Dame and WVU to form their own 16 team league like the SEC. If WVU joins the ACC it would being back several rivalry games like the backyard brawl WVU vs Pittsburgh and Another one with WVU vs VT.

The Pac 10 doesn't want Christian schools which leave out 3 of the Big 12.  

WVU to the ACC makes a lot of sense from a football and basketball sense, though this is 99% about football.

The renewed rivalries are nice from a news and fan perspective, but do not factor in with the decision makers on either side.  This is about money, rating and getting eyes on the TV.  So this is about WVU's rabid fanbase, and has little to do with the quality of the teams

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - J24 - 07-25-2021

Is it just me but this seems like a poor move for Oklahoma. They go from being top dog to just another school in the SEC.

It reminds me of when Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East for the ACC both were considered top programs not neither are relevant.

Also why doesn't the Big 12 and AAC form?

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - treee - 07-25-2021

I've heard Kansas is likely to end up in the B1G but not much else on that front yet. B1G has stricter academic requirements to join than the SEC.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 07-29-2021

(07-25-2021, 07:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Is it just me but this seems like a poor move for Oklahoma. They go from being top dog to just another school in the SEC.

It reminds me of when Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East for the ACC both were considered top programs not neither are relevant.

Also why doesn't the Big 12 and AAC  form?

The AAC would be a huge loss in revenue compared to the Big12. 

The Big 12 Commissioner sent a Cease and Desist Order to ESPN. They are claiming ESPN is behind stealing the their members and offering incentives. This wouldnt surprise me considering ESPN owns exclusive rights to the ACC and is working a similar deal with the SEC. Pac-12, B1G, and Big 12 have split rights with ESPN & Fox.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Stewy - 07-29-2021

(07-25-2021, 07:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Is it just me but this seems like a poor move for Oklahoma. They go from being top dog to just another school in the SEC.

Also why doesn't the Big 12 and AAC  form?

You're thinking like a fan.  It's not about being top dog.  And Texas and OU would lose 10's of millions of dollars per year by going to the ACC.

The only thing that matters here is $$$$, which is viewership and eyes on the screen.  Texas and OU are both top 5 media draws. Adding that to the SEC makes everyone lots MORE money.  And with the expansion to 12 Playoff teams, you'll see 3 loss SEC teams getting in before 2 loss Big 12 teams, which is more money and more revenue.

The Big 12 is going no where and will die.  They've already been making phone calls to other schools and are being told to bugger off.

(07-29-2021, 11:03 AM)Synric Wrote: The Big 12 Commissioner sent a Cease and Desist Order to ESPN. They are claiming ESPN is behind stealing the their members and offering incentives. This wouldnt surprise me considering ESPN owns exclusive rights to the ACC and is working a similar deal with the SEC. Pac-12, B1G, and Big 12 have split rights with ESPN & Fox.

Yeah and from what I've ben hearing, from lawyers on sports radio shows (yeah I know), the order has no grounds and ESPN will win any challenge of it.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - J24 - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 04:45 PM)Stewy Wrote: You're thinking like a fan.  It's not about being top dog.  And Texas and OU would lose 10's of millions of dollars per year by going to the ACC.

The only thing that matters here is $$$$, which is viewership and eyes on the screen.  Texas and OU are both top 5 media draws. Adding that to the SEC makes everyone lots MORE money.  And with the expansion to 12 Playoff teams, you'll see 3 loss SEC teams getting in before 2 loss Big 12 teams, which is more money and more revenue.

The Big 12 is going no where and will die.  They've already been making phone calls to other schools and are being told to bugger off.

How would Texas and Oklahoma lose a ton of money if the AAC and Big 12 join up? That makes zero Sense. They wouldn't make as much as they would in the SEC but they wouldn't lose money either.

Also why does Texas or Oklahoma need the SEC. Like you said they are two top 5 draws in all of college Football. They would be successful in any conference and any conference would make a shit ton of money.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 05:24 PM)J24 Wrote: How would Texas and Oklahoma lose a ton of money if the AAC and Big 12 join up? That makes zero Sense. They wouldn't make as much as they would in the SEC but they wouldn't lose money either.

Also why does Texas or Oklahoma need the SEC. Like you said they are two top 5 draws in all of college Football. They would be successful in any conference and any conference would make a shit ton of money.

It's all about TV revenue. 

The SEC is about to sign a huge exclusive deal with Disney/ESPN and they already have ACC exclusive rights. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC they will receive alot more annually from the SEC TV revenue than have have in the Big 12. 

With the ACC and SEC locked up and stealing the big schools from the Big12 Disney/ESPN is closer to cornering the market for NCAA Football. 

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - J24 - 07-29-2021

(07-29-2021, 06:02 PM)Synric Wrote: It's all about TV revenue. 

The SEC is about to sign a huge exclusive deal with Disney/ESPN and they already have ACC exclusive rights. If Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC they will receive alot more annually from the SEC TV revenue than have have in the Big 12. 

With the ACC and SEC locked up and stealing the big schools from the Big12 Disney/ESPN is closer to cornering the market for NCAA Football. 

I get why the SEC and ESPN would do it. Seems like a big time get for them but Texas and Oklahoma are huge brands seems like they would make huge money anywhere.

(07-29-2021, 07:02 PM)J24 Wrote: I get why the SEC and ESPN would do it. Seems like a big time get for them but Texas and Oklahoma are huge brands seems like they would make huge money anywhere.

Ah.  Ok.  Then let me explain.

Most conferences split revenue evenly from TV deals.  Vandy and Bama make the same money in the SEC.

The Big 12 however, distributed money based upon a formula related to ratings and viewership.  Thus Oklahoma and Texas took 80% of the pie between them PLUS Texas had their own network which paid them 60 mil annually (which was a horrible deal for ESPN) alone.  Thus going to any conference aside from the SEC, which already distributes 60 mil per team annually, would be a huge pay cut for OU and UT.  Whereas, adding UO and UT will make the payout from the SEC twice as much as the next conference AND be an annual increase for UO and UT, plus joining the best conference in football and all that goes along with it.  It is nothing but WIN WIN for both sides. 

And of course ESPN is all in on this because they can drop or not renew the awful Big 12 and Longhorn network contracts, and pay less overall than all three together when the SEC re-negotiates their contract in a couple years.

The only ones who lose out are the remaining Big 12 teams who really are in no mans land, where no one wants them and no ones wnats to join them.  WVU (huge hick following that travels well, and excellent in Bball as well) to the ACC makes a lot of sense, otherwise the rest of the remaining Big 12 are out in the cold.

One might think that Iowa State to the Big 10 makes sense, except why would the Big 10 want them?  Very limited viewership, and just another mouth to feed to distribute the wealth.  My point is that it's not just about what seems like a good fit from a sports point of view, but what matters is if a team joining a conference is going to add to the overall distribution of $$$ or just be another mouth to feed like Minnesota.

FYI - the SEC voted unanimously today to invite UO and UT for the 2025 season (end of their TV deals).  It is highly likely there will be some form of buyouts to ESPN and the remaining Big 12 to get out of the Big 12 Network and Longhorn Network contracts.  Goodness knows ESPN wants out of those horrible deals.  The remaining members of the Big 12 will be more difficult to please.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - BengalHawk62 - 08-04-2021

Here's my hope.

The PAC 12 takes ISU, KSU, KU, Okie State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and Houston.  West Virginia moves to the ACC.

The PAC 12 splits into East West regions. 
East Region:
ISU
KSU
KU
Okie State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
Colorado
Utah

West Region:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Arizona
ASU
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA

PAC 20 Super Conference.  PAC 12 is struggling to stay relevant and wants midwest eyes on its product, plus 4 teams from Texas.  When was the last time any of you stayed up late to watch a PAC 12 game kicking off at 11pm?  This Super Conference solves that problem.  Each team plays every team in its region once and 3 teams in the other region.  The winners of each region plays for the conference title and winner of the conference is in the CFP.  

FOX would love to pick up TV rights to compete with ESPN and the SEC.  

I believe this is a better alternative that splitting up the remaining Big 12 schools into different conferences.  

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 08-06-2021

(08-04-2021, 03:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Here's my hope.

The PAC 12 takes ISU, KSU, KU, Okie State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and Houston.  West Virginia moves to the ACC.

The PAC 12 splits into East West regions. 
East Region:
ISU
KSU
KU
Okie State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
Colorado
Utah

West Region:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Arizona
ASU
Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA

PAC 20 Super Conference.  PAC 12 is struggling to stay relevant and wants midwest eyes on its product, plus 4 teams from Texas.  When was the last time any of you stayed up late to watch a PAC 12 game kicking off at 11pm?  This Super Conference solves that problem.  Each team plays every team in its region once and 3 teams in the other region.  The winners of each region plays for the conference title and winner of the conference is in the CFP.  

FOX would love to pick up TV rights to compete with ESPN and the SEC.  

I believe this is a better alternative that splitting up the remaining Big 12 schools into different conferences.  

The Pac12 and the Big12 had talks about a merger so its possible.

Right now WVU is in no mans land. They cannot join the Pac12 if there is a merger because the distance does not make sense. The ACC is a perfect fit but they were turned down by the ACC a decade ago when they had to join the Big12. Joining the AAC would cut their football program 3/4ths and you can watch their recruits decommit. They aren't the same program they werem10 years ago so hopefully the ACC will decide a 16 team conference will be good for them (with Notre Dame).

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 08-06-2021

(07-29-2021, 10:57 PM)Stewy Wrote: The only ones who lose out are the remaining Big 12 teams who really are in no mans land, where no one wants them and no ones wnats to join them.  WVU (huge hick following that travels well, and excellent in Bball as well) to the ACC makes a lot of sense, otherwise the rest of the remaining Big 12 are out in the cold.

When I was a teenager and WVU was still in the Big East the local American Legion used to rent Charter Buses for away games lol. 

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Murdock2420 - 09-04-2021

(08-06-2021, 03:11 PM)Synric Wrote: The Pac12 and the Big12 had talks about a merger so its possible.

Right now WVU is in no mans land. They cannot join the Pac12 if there is a merger because the distance does not make sense. The ACC is a perfect fit but they were turned down by the ACC a decade ago when they had to join the Big12. Joining the AAC would cut their football program 3/4ths and you can watch their recruits decommit. They aren't the same program they werem10 years ago so hopefully the ACC will decide a 16 team conference will be good for them (with Notre Dame).

If Notre Dame wants to remain out the ACC could pick up WVU, UC, UCF and one more school to expand their ranks to near Super Conference. 

Of course last report was the Big 12 is after UC, UCF, BYU and Houston to join them and remain a conference. 

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 09-10-2021

(09-04-2021, 04:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If Notre Dame wants to remain out the ACC could pick up WVU, UC, UCF and one more school to expand their ranks to near Super Conference. 

Of course last report was the Big 12 is after UC, UCF, BYU and Houston to join them and remain a conference. 

The invites are official for UC, UCF, BYU, and Houston. BYU is already talking about the divisions and I expect all of them to join because teams like UC and UCF are only making a 4th of what Big12 teams are.

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Murdock2420 - 09-10-2021

(09-10-2021, 03:07 PM)Synric Wrote: The invites are official for UC, UCF, BYU, and Houston. BYU is already talking about the divisions and I expect all of them to join because teams like UC and UCF are only making a 4th of what Big12 teams are.

Not sure if it is enough for the Big 12 but it is a good start.

I think after Texas and OU are officially gone they should be trying to get Boise State and maybe a Memphis to help a little. 

RE: The Destruction of the Big 12. - Synric - 09-10-2021

(09-10-2021, 03:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Not sure if it is enough for the Big 12 but it is a good start.

I think after Texas and OU are officially gone they should be trying to get Boise State and maybe a Memphis to help a little. 

Both BYU and UC have excepted the invite this morning 2024.

UCF and BYU are both huge programs with large fan bases. UC looks like its turning a corner I dont know much about Houston other than I hate their Head Coach.

Edit: WVU vs UC rivalry does sound fun.

Edit 2: Houston accepted too only one I cant find is UCF.