Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bengals not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bengals not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time (/Thread-Bengals-not-expecting-to-sign-Bates-to-an-extension-at-this-time)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bengals not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - J24 - 08-10-2021

According to Jeremy Fowler from ESPN.

If true this just shows how dumb this front office continues to be. If things don't go right this season then Duke needs to go along with Zac Taylor. Dude is a bum

Exit Bengals not expecting to sign Bates to extension. Mods please change title!

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 03:58 PM)J24 Wrote: According to Jeremy Fowler from ESPN.

If true this just shows how dumb this front office continues to be. If things don't go right this season then Duke needs to go along with Zac Taylor. Dude is a bum

Exit Bengals not expecting to sign Bates to extension. Mods please change title!

It is ESPN. Not going to jump to conclusions. But we need to extend Bates sooner rather than later.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - fredtoast - 08-10-2021

What if Bates is asking for $20 million a year or a ten-year fully guaranteed contract?

I have no idea which side is to blame for a deal not getting done.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - J24 - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is ESPN. Not going to jump to conclusions. But we need to extend Bates sooner rather than later.

He should be the #1 priority this off-season.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 04:03 PM)J24 Wrote: He should be the #1 priority this off-season.

For sure, we got the Hubbard deal done but Bates is even more important.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - J24 - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure, we got the Hubbard deal done but Bates is even more important.

Yep not only is he our best player but he is clearly the leader in the locker room.

(08-10-2021, 04:07 PM)J24 Wrote: Yep not only is he our best player but he is clearly the leader in the locker room.

Just saw Rapien also reporting this which makes me more concerned. Maybe we just need to find some common ground.

Yes, Jessie is a great leader for us along with Bell on the D.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - Frank Booth - 08-10-2021

Maybe Bates wants to move on from cincy

Is that so hard to believe?

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - jj22 - 08-10-2021

Honestly, MB paying a Safety corner money is something I'll have to see to believe. This shouldn't be surprising. He can be tagged, then he'll likely be allowed to walk.

If they wanted to re-sign him they would. Why wait for the big Safety contracts (Simmons and Adams) to reset the market. That is going to end the Bates negotiations as soon as that happens.

They likely lowballed him with their idea of high end safety money (8yr). But it shouldn't surprise anyone around here that he isn't going to get corner money from MB.

(08-10-2021, 04:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Maybe Bates wants to move on from cincy

Well considering that he was talking about how much he wanted to be apart of this organization long term all off season + the likelihood that he would be franchised Tagged after the season. Yes I would say that would be surprising.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - Nately120 - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 04:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Maybe Bates wants to move on from cincy

Yes, but keep in mind I'm from Pittsburgh.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - TheLeonardLeap - 08-10-2021

They have him this year and they can always franchise tag him for the next two years for significantly less money than a top-tier S contract would cost.

(08-10-2021, 04:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: Honestly, MB paying a Safety corner money is something I'll have to see to believe. This shouldn't be surprising. He can be tagged, then he'll likely be allowed to walk.

If they wanted to re-sign him they would. Why wait for the big Safety contracts (Simmons and Adams) to reset the market. That is going to end the Bates negotiations as soon as that happens.

They likely lowballed him with their idea of high end safety money (8yr). But it shouldn't surprise anyone around here that he isn't going to get corner money from MB.
Well that's my worry.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - XenoMorph - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What if Bates is asking for $20 million a year or a ten-year fully guaranteed contract?

I have no idea which side is to blame for a deal not getting done.

right have to know what hes asking for before i know who to be mad at...   

(08-10-2021, 04:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Well considering that he was talking about how much he wanted to be apart of this organization long term all off season + the likelihood that he would be franchised Tagged after the season. Yes I would say that would be surprising.

Yeah, it would be surprising from what he has been saying. He practiced today so it doesn't look like he is mad or anything.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - GreenCornBengal - 08-10-2021

Meh, about a month ago Aaron Rogers was never going to play for GB again. It’s a negotiation tactic to put more pressure on the FO to get this done. These types of reports happen frequently across the league.

(08-10-2021, 04:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Meh, about a month ago Aaron Rogers was never going to play for GB again. It’s a negotiation tactic to put more pressure on the FO to get this done. These types of reports happen frequently across the league.

True. Hope this is no big deal and we extend him pretty soon.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - fredtoast - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 04:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Well considering that he was talking about how much he wanted to be apart of this organization long term all off season + the likelihood that he would be franchised Tagged after the season. Yes I would say that would be surprising.

Bengals also said they wanted to sign him.

So who do we believe?  Neither side is willing to admit they don't want a deal.

RE: Bates not expecting to sign Bates to an extension at this time - leonardfan40 - 08-10-2021

Not the end of the world, perhaps they’re too far apart and the next safety to sign will clear things up for both sides as far as comparable value and current market. As others have said we have him this year and can tag him next. Both sides seemed to be working on it before today so there seems to be mutual interest. Don’t get too bogged down in the negotiations just yet.

(08-10-2021, 04:55 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote:  Both sides seemed to be working on it before today so there seems to be mutual interest. Don’t get too bogged down in the negotiations just yet.

Carson Palmer did not get his big extension until December.