Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bengals #1 in important stat - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bengals #1 in important stat (/Thread-Bengals-1-in-important-stat)

Pages: 1 2

Bengals #1 in important stat - pally - 11-22-2021

The Bengals are the LEAST penalized team in the NFL and it is not even close. 

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Au165 - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:01 PM)pally Wrote: The Bengals are the LEAST penalized team in the NFL and it is not even close. 

That is part of the culture change...

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Awful Llama - 11-22-2021

It was pretty far along in the game yesterday when they got their first (and I believe only) penalty. Good to see the self-descipline.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - thompson19osu - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:39 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It was pretty far along in the game yesterday when they got their first (and I believe only) penalty. Good to see the self-descipline.

I think it was about five minutes left in the fourth quarter. Announcers just jinxed it by showing how the Bengals hadn’t been penalized at all. It has been one noticeable improvement from the Marvin error is the reduction in penalties.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Whacked - 11-22-2021

A couple of those penalties by the Raiders sure helped us win the game

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - JaggedJimmyJay - 11-22-2021

I think this has been a positive trend in general for Taylor. I also think he handles timeouts a lot more effectively than Marvin did. Clearly he's not perfect, and at this point he has much more to prove than he has proven, but he does do some things right. Toss in remarkable free agent recruitment too.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Awful Llama - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:42 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I think it was about five minutes left in the fourth quarter. Announcers just jinxed it by showing how the Bengals hadn’t been penalized at all. It has been one noticeable improvement from the Marvin error is the reduction in penalties.

Next the bastards will start talking about McPherson Money Mac before every kick.  

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Chezaugie - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:01 PM)pally Wrote: The Bengals are the LEAST penalized team in the NFL and it is not even close. 

How can that be? I have read a ton of posts in this forum that state the NFL referees are biased against the Bengals. Even a few that state a league conspiracy against the Bengals. Especially when they lose or play the Steelers.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - fredtoast - 11-22-2021

There is no real correlation between penalties and winning. Some people even argue that more penalties is a sign of a more aggressive team. And when it comes to defensive backs the best players usually have to most penalties.

https://www.wibwnewsnow.com/numbers-game-stats-correlate-most-wins-nfl/

Which statistics actually correlate the most with winning games?

This week, we took 14 different team statistics and compared them to win totals over the past five seasons to figure out where the correlation lies between certain stats and wins. Some results are obvious, while others may be shocking to some.

Penalties accrued have the second-weakest relationship of any of the stats in question.
This information simply shows that the raw number of them has not correlated strongly with win totals lately. The Oakland Raiders lead all teams in penalties since 2014 with 626 of them, and they’re tied for the seventh fewest wins in the league. Second in total penalties is Seattle with 623 of them, but the Seahawks have the best record in the NFC in our timeframe.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Jhowdy54 - 11-22-2021

We’ll might help if lineman did hold every once in awhile to keep a free rusher from getting to Burrow lol

I'd be interested to see how much variation there is to penalties accrued over the span of numerous seasons. This'd help to tease apart the influence of random chance and that of actual coaching.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - George Cantstandya - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:57 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I'd be interested to see how much variation there is to penalties accrued over the span of numerous seasons. This'd help to tease apart the influence of random chance and that of actual coaching.

Here are Bengals penalty stats going back to 2009 according to this website:

https://www.nflpenalties.com/team/cincinnati-bengals?view=season

Thanks Mr. Vandelay.

Looks like Taylor has the lowest (2020) and fourth lowest (2019) penalties-against seasons since 2009. The pace is set to do it again in 2021. That’s a decent trend.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - Shake n Blake - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: That is part of the culture change...

Right on. This always seemed like an issue during Marv's tenure.

To me, low penalties is a sign of a disciplined team.

How many times did our oline get flagged for false starts etc back then? And this culminated in everybody losing composure in playoff games.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - TheLeonardLeap - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 08:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. This always seemed like an issue during Marv's tenure.

To me, low penalties is a sign of a disciplined team.

How many times did our oline get flagged for false starts etc back then? And this culminated in everybody losing composure in playoff games.

Don't think the number matter. I think the type matter and the situation matter.

Last year, the Chiefs had the 4th most, Ravens 5th most, Bills 6th most, Browns 8th most. All playoff teams, that's half of the top-8.

(11-22-2021, 08:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't think the number matter. I think the type matter and the situation matter.

Last year, the Chiefs had the 4th most, Ravens 5th most, Bills 6th most, Browns 8th most. All playoff teams, that's half of the top-8.

You can be a good team with high penalties. We were several times during Marv's tenure.

I just see it as one sign that you're a disciplined football team. But fair point on the type and when. That said, if you're top 5 in penalties, you're probably not tightening up at the right time all the time.

Those teams are just talented enough to overcome all the flags.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - thompson19osu - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no real correlation between penalties and winning. Some people even argue that more penalties is a sign of a more aggressive team. And when it comes to defensive backs the best players usually have to most penalties.

https://www.wibwnewsnow.com/numbers-game-stats-correlate-most-wins-nfl/

Which statistics actually correlate the most with winning games?

This week, we took 14 different team statistics and compared them to win totals over the past five seasons to figure out where the correlation lies between certain stats and wins. Some results are obvious, while others may be shocking to some.

Penalties accrued have the second-weakest relationship of any of the stats in question.
This information simply shows that the raw number of them has not correlated strongly with win totals lately. The Oakland Raiders lead all teams in penalties since 2014 with 626 of them, and they’re tied for the seventh fewest wins in the league. Second in total penalties is Seattle with 623 of them, but the Seahawks have the best record in the NFC in our timeframe.

Well I read that comment and all I can think of is the Steelers Bengals playoff game. That game alone says otherwise.

(11-22-2021, 08:50 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Well I read that comment and all I can think of is the Steelers Bengals playoff game. That game alone says otherwise.

The problem with Fred pointing out the Raiders is that no one is saying penalties are the only difference (or biggest factor) between winning and losing. A terrible team like the Raiders isn't going to win simply because they get fewer penalties.

You can also win with a lot.

But obviously you want to be a great team that ALSO isn't penalized much, ideally.

I'd love to see what the teams look like that finish top 10 in offense, defense and fewest penalities. Vs teams that finished top 10 in offense and defense, but were bottom 10 in penalties.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - pally - 11-22-2021

Considering how many times over the last several years, a stupid penalty stopped a drive or took points off the board, I will take this stat. Really good teams can overcome penalties. The Bengals aren't at that point yet.

RE: Bengals #1 in important stat - HarleyDog - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no real correlation between penalties and winning.  

January 9th, 2016.