Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Elon Musk - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Elon Musk (/Thread-Elon-Musk)

Pages: 1 2

Elon Musk - Goalpost - 12-06-2021

https://www.newsweek.com/elon-musk-joe-biden-donald-trump-election-age-1655280

...is suggesting we have an age limit to be president. We have a minimum requirement at 35 but no upper limit. He is not friends with Biden, but I don't think he likes Trump either. He is just speaking in general terms whether an older person functions and understands the technology of today's world, or perhaps has also lost some cognitive ability also. His suggestion is 70. Should age be a factor, on the high end, to be president?

RE: Elon Musk - Belsnickel - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 02:45 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.newsweek.com/elon-musk-joe-biden-donald-trump-election-age-1655280

...is suggesting we have an age limit to be president. We have a minimum requirement at 35 but no upper limit. He is not friends with Biden, but I don't think he likes Trump either. He is just speaking in general terms whether an older person functions and understands the technology of today's world, or perhaps has also lost some cognitive ability also. His suggestion is 70. Should age be a factor, on the high end, to be president?

No. It should be entirely dependent on the confidence the voters have in them doing the job.

RE: Elon Musk - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 12-06-2021

(12-06-2021, 02:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No. It should be entirely dependent on the confidence the voters have in them doing the job.

I concur.  Just out of curiosity, would that apply to removing the age minimum of 35 as well? 

(12-06-2021, 02:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I concur.  Just out of curiosity, would that apply to removing the age minimum of 35 as well? 

I think the only age requirement should be that you are of voting age.

RE: Elon Musk - NATI BENGALS - 12-06-2021

Maybe that would be a way around term limits. Age limits. Hit 65 and we are putting you in the old folks home your service is no longer required

RE: Elon Musk - CKwi88 - 12-06-2021

First, f*** Elon Musk.

That out of the way, while I personally wouldn't care if there were an upper age limit, I don't think it should be implemented. Whatever adult the country thinks would be best should get the job.

(12-06-2021, 03:35 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: First, f*** Elon Musk.

That out of the way, while I personally wouldn't care if there were an upper age limit, I don't think it should be implemented. Whatever adult the country thinks would be best should get the job.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Musk. He can **** right off with his "welfare for me but not for thee" attitude.

RE: Elon Musk - Nately120 - 12-06-2021

Would we still let people over the age of 70 vote?

Also, if we use Elon's logic, being 50 he shouldn't be the head of a tech company....rather, he should be offering to let me borrow his VHS copy of Caddyshack.

(12-06-2021, 04:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Would we still let people over the age of 70 vote?

Also, if we use Elon's logic, being 50 he shouldn't be the head of a tech company....rather, he should be offering to let me borrow his VHS copy of Caddyshack.

That was one of the more sinister things to come out of the Brexit vote.  A not insubstantial number of remainers made the argument, post results, that a large percentage of older people voted leave but they would be dead soon so they wouldn't have to deal with the consequences and thus their vote shouldn't count.

(12-06-2021, 03:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think the only age requirement should be that you are of voting age.

Interesting, especially as you have to be 21 to be an LEO is most jurisdictions.  A consistent position, though, on your part.

RE: Elon Musk - Au165 - 12-06-2021

The problem is there is absolutely no doubt that mental degradation does happen as you age and can be quite severe for some. The easier thing would be testing, however there is no way to prevent that from becoming a partisan issue and therefor I do believe there should be an upper limit to the office. No other position in our government gives so much power to a singular person with no checks in real time.

RE: Elon Musk - Belsnickel - 12-07-2021

(12-06-2021, 06:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Interesting, especially as you have to be 21 to be an LEO is most jurisdictions.  A consistent position, though, on your part.

Which, in my understanding, is tied to the age minimum for carrying a handgun, which is also bullshit. We have 17 year old kids completed BCT in Fort Benning every summer.

But as for elected positions, the idea of a democratic system is that it should chosen by the electorate. If they choose an 18 year old, then fine, that's who they think will do the best job. The likelihood is low, but I think it should be possible. This makes it a little different than hired positions.

RE: Elon Musk - Nately120 - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 07:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which, in my understanding, is tied to the age minimum for carrying a handgun, which is also bullshit. We have 17 year old kids completed BCT in Fort Benning every summer.

Hell, the only times in my life where I've been in a justified "stand your ground" fear for my safety I was under the age of 18.  Not to derail things, but it always intrigues me how being threatened and shoved around as a kid or accosted as a teen is no big deal but once you turn 18 you finally have the right to defend yourself. 

RE: Elon Musk - hollodero - 12-07-2021

(12-06-2021, 03:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Musk. He can **** right off with his "welfare for me but not for thee" attitude.

Does anyone not feel that way about him?

RE: Elon Musk - Belsnickel - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 09:36 AM)hollodero Wrote: Does anyone not feel that way about him?

Yes. There are a lot of people in this country that really sing his praises left and right.

RE: Elon Musk - Goalpost - 12-07-2021

Musk is probably a bit unhappy with how his company has been treated recently. Five years ago his company was praised as the example of green world ideas. Fast forward to today, and his company wasn't even invited to the White House....Biden invited the union automakers....Musk was excluded even though his company is the largest auto company, by far, in market cap. The green new deals, in the build back better bills, omit his company from govt incentives which is given to the likes of Ford, etc, instead. Many think the govt is trying to make winners and losers based on union status in their approach. So five years ago the people who loved him have turned on him.

RE: Elon Musk - Goalpost - 12-07-2021

To give my own answer to this post...I definitely think you acquire wisdom with age. However the health issues with age are real also. There are some people who are better physically at 80 than others at 65. But that comparison is probably more on the rare side of it. I do think if you are pushing, say 75ish, it is close to the limit. This country should be big enough to find candidates where age shouldn't be a concern.

RE: Elon Musk - hollodero - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 11:18 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yes. There are a lot of people in this country that really sing his praises left and right.

Ah... well, he appears to be a successful businessman. Atonement for many sins.

RE: Elon Musk - Nately120 - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 11:45 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Musk is probably a bit unhappy with how his company has been treated recently.  Five years ago his company was praised as the example of green world ideas.  Fast forward to today, and his company wasn't even invited to the White House....Biden invited the union automakers....Musk was excluded  even though his company is the largest auto company, by far, in market cap.  The green new deals, in the build back better bills, omit his company from govt incentives which is given to the likes of Ford, etc, instead.  Many think the govt is trying to make winners and losers based on union status in their approach.  So five years ago the people who loved him have turned on him.

Maybe his company wouldn't get left behind if they had a younger person who is more in tune with the current state of things to run it. 

At any rate, our society has this fun bias where anyone younger than you is a moron with no experience, and anyone older than you is an out of touch fossil with dementia. 

Now that i think of it, half our country probably thinks millennial are too worthless to be taken seriously so that wipes out the views of anyone under the age of 42.  We need to raise the age of eligibility if a millennial could have been elected in 2016. 

RE: Elon Musk - KillerGoose - 12-07-2021

This is an interesting topic. I have long thought that there should be an age limit for Presidents on the upper end but have never had a serious conversation. My original thought was 65-70 be the limit. Not saying anyone's wrong, but I'd like to be educated on opposing viewpoints as to why this wouldn't be a good idea.