Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released (/Thread-Roster-update-DT-signed-to-PS-XSF-released)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - pally - 01-18-2022

Dt Doug Costin signed to the practice squad. He is the mysterious #62 seen at practice. He was a 3 year starter at Miami of Ohio who was on the Jags PS at some point at the beginning of the season. He played in 12 games in 2020 for the Jags getting 33 tackles

XSF was released leaving an opening on the 53 man roster..another DT? or maybe Trent Taylor gets promoted? or Auden Tate is ready to go

2 released from PS including Dru Chrisman for what seems to be the 25th time leaving 1 open spot there

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - NATI BENGALS - 01-18-2022

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jaguars-doug-costin-among-pffs-highest-graded-rookie-defenders-entering-week-14

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - CorpusChristiBengal - 01-18-2022

Did they activate XSF just to release him?

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - NotBigzo - 01-18-2022

So does this mean either Tupou or Wren are out or.........

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - pally - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 06:29 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Did they activate XSF just to release him?

looks like it.  I wonder if he'll be signed to the PS for the rest of the post season.

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - ochocincos - 01-18-2022

Gotta say, while I thought XSF might be a release candidate in the offseason, I didn't think he'd be let go during the playoffs.
Guess the team feels comfortable with the OGs they got.

EDIT - Or, as Pally suggested, he may land on the PS.

(01-18-2022, 06:30 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: So does this mean either Tupou or Wren are out or.........

both practiced today to some extent.  Tupou was limited. Wren we don't know since they don't give designations to the PS players.  Im sure Costin is an insurance policy and depth piece for the scout team

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - bengalfan74 - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 06:30 PM)pally Wrote: looks like it.  I wonder if he'll be signed to the PS for the rest of the post season.

6 or 7 years into his career is he even still eligible for PS ? Don't know how any of that works.

(01-18-2022, 06:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 6 or 7 years into his career is he even still eligible for PS ? Don't know how any of that works.

They can have up to 6 vested veterans on the PS.  The team has the room if they want to sign him

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - bonesaw - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 06:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 6 or 7 years into his career is he even still eligible for PS ? Don't know how any of that works.

I think they have removed any age/years limitations from being PS eligible.  
anybody can be on the PS now, even you and me!

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - NATI BENGALS - 01-18-2022

In Tobin we trust!

Doesn’t seem like a bad find. Keeps the Ohio link going strong. Undrafted free agent who took a former first rounders starting spot as a rookie last year. Had 4 tackles and a fumble recovery against the Titans last year.

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - NUGDUKWE - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 06:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jaguars-doug-costin-among-pffs-highest-graded-rookie-defenders-entering-week-14

Thats interesting on Doug Costin. He must have just fell off in 2021.

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - magikod - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 06:29 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Did they activate XSF just to release him?

lmfao looks like it...

XSF release frees up $3.1 mill in cap space for next year, FWIW.

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 01-18-2022

If I'm Tennessee, I pick up XSF right now.

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - TheFan - 01-18-2022

Obviously pickings are slim but weird he didn't play at all this past year after reportedly having such a good rookie year. Grant it he may have just not been liked by Meyer or something

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - Sled21 - 01-18-2022

I dont think you can release a player on IR. Hence, they activate him to cut him. I'. Pretty sure he'll be stashed on the PS.

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 07:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: XSF release frees up $3.1 mill in cap space for next year, FWIW.

Does it?

I looked on spotrac and his Dead Cap hit for this year is $3.3 mil, only $333k for next year. If we eat that money on this year's cap hit, doesn't it reduce our rollover number for next year by the same amount? Thus reducing our amount of effective cap space? Or does it count as a 2022 release because it happened after the regular season? 

Somebody who knows more abot capology fill me in. 

RE: Roster update-DT signed to PS XSF released - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 01-18-2022

(01-18-2022, 06:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta say, while I thought XSF might be a release candidate in the offseason, I didn't think he'd be let go during the playoffs.
Guess the team feels comfortable with the OGs they got.

EDIT - Or, as Pally suggested, he may land on the PS.

This is where I am. 

As I posted earlier, I am not a cap expert. So the impact of his release on our cap (now as opposed to in the offseason) is unknown to me. 

But there has to be more moves coming. Someone coming off IR (Phillips, Tate). Or an outright signing of a FA or a poach from someone else's PS.  And a PS signing. 

As far as XSF, he was decent, but I don't think demonstrably better than Adeniji, Carman, or Smith.  And 3 times as expensive. Nowhere near as good as Spain. 

(01-18-2022, 07:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Does it?

I looked on spotrac and his Dead Cap hit for this year is $3.3 mil, only $333k for next year. If we eat that money on this year's cap hit, doesn't it reduce our rollover number for next year by the same amount? Thus reducing our amount of effective cap space? Or does it count as a 2022 release because it happened after the regular season? 

Somebody who knows more abot capology fill me in. 

He's already been paid his entire salary for this year, as we're into the postseason.
He's due $3.433 mill next year with only $333k in dead cap.
So the Bengals will get an extra $3.1 mill in cap next year.