Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Tunsil - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Tunsil (/Thread-Tunsil)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tunsil - Cosmokramer - 01-27-2022

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-trade-lt-laremy-tunsil-180420580.html

Man wouldn’t that be nice!! The future is so damn exciting about the possibilities with this Team!!

RE: Tunsil - BurrowTheGoat - 01-27-2022

I would be ecstatic with this move. I wonder what the asking price would be? 3rd? Considering he only has 2 years on his deal and is due to make 26m they don't have a ton of leverage.

RE: Tunsil - Cosmokramer - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:45 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I would be ecstatic with this move. I wonder what the asking price would be? 3rd? Considering he only has 2 years on his deal and is due to make 26m they don't have a ton of leverage.

No idea, maybe some more seasoned fellas can chime in on that. But I’m just excited how players on other teams actually want to come and play in Cincy. I know this article doesn’t say this particular player said that. But it’s been mentioned before that guys are excited to come play here!

RE: Tunsil - CJD - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:45 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I would be ecstatic with this move.  I wonder what the asking price would be?  3rd? Considering he only has 2 years on his deal and is due to make 26m they don't have a ton of leverage.

Orlando Brown Jr fetched a late first, a 3rd, 4th and 5th but returned a 2nd and 6th. He was in the last year of a rookie contract but trading for him with 1 year on his contract basically guaranteed him a huge contract from the Chiefs, so it's not so far off from Tunsil's contract, just delayed by a year.

I think we could get Tunsil for our first round pick since he's more proven than Brown was.

The truth is, proven tackles aren't traded too often because they're so hard to find haha.

RE: Tunsil - TheLeonardLeap - 01-28-2022

Ehhhh... I have the same problem with him as I did with Reiff. (I said it plenty when the signing happened, so it wasn't hindsight.) Reiff hasn't played a full NFL season since 2015. Tunsil has *NEVER* played a full NFL season since he entered the league in 2016, including missing multiple games each of the last 3 years.

Tunsil has the added downside of not only costing draft picks to acquire, but also having to be paid $17.85m in '22 and $18.5m in '23 in base salary.

- - - - - - -

Alternatively, Orlando Brown Jr is scheduled to be a FA (though admittedly not likely to leave KC).

Eric Fisher and Morgan Moses will be a FA. Duane Brown could be a great stopgap signing.

All three of which will each cost much less money and no draft picks, so you can use the saved pick(s) on drafting more offensive linemen and the saved money towards signing say... James Daniels, Alex Cappa, or Connor Williams at Guard... or Bradley Bozeman, Brian Allen, or much lower on the list Evan Brown. Jason Kelce could also be a great stopgap signing.

There's a lot of young IOL talent in this FA, would hate to use over $18m/yr and draft pick(s) on 1 guy who isn't very reliable health-wise.

RE: Tunsil - bfine32 - 01-28-2022

Fun fact:

There are 2 Bengals on the team that were drafted before Tunsil

RE: Tunsil - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 01-28-2022

His base salary is top 2 in the league for a LT and he is not a top 2 LT. My initial reaction was I would trade a 2nd round pick, but not at that salary.

RE: Tunsil - magikod - 01-28-2022

(01-28-2022, 12:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhhh... I have the same problem with him as I did with Reiff. (I said it plenty when the signing happened, so it wasn't hindsight.) Reiff hasn't played a full NFL season since 2015. Tunsil has *NEVER* played a full NFL season since he entered the league in 2016, including missing multiple games each of the last 3 years.

Tunsil has the added downside of not only costing draft picks to acquire, but also having to be paid $17.85m in '22 and $18.5m in '23 in base salary.

- - - - - - -

Alternatively, Orlando Brown Jr is scheduled to be a FA (though admittedly not likely to leave KC).

Eric Fisher and Morgan Moses will be a FA. Duane Brown could be a great stopgap signing.

All three of which will each cost much less money and no draft picks, so you can use the saved pick(s) on drafting more offensive linemen and the saved money towards signing say... James Daniels, Alex Cappa, or Connor Williams at Guard... or Bradley Bozeman, Brian Allen, or much lower on the list Evan Brown. Jason Kelce could also be a great stopgap signing.

There's a lot of young IOL talent in this FA, would hate to use over $18m/yr and draft pick(s) on 1 guy who isn't very reliable health-wise.

Good post, I wasn't aware at how much IOL talent in FA this year.

Plus giving up a 1st round pick, if not more isn't fun either. 

But if Tunsil comes in and is elite for years to come, it wouldn't be the worst signing. Hmm

(01-28-2022, 12:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Fun fact:

There are 2 Bengals on the team that were drafted before Tunsil

10th and 11th picks, Eli Apple & Vernon Hargreaves.

RE: Tunsil - AlphaBengal - 01-28-2022

Way overpaid. You can find a better player for less in free agency and not lose draft picks to get him. This was another in the long line of Bill O’Brien disasters. The only reason they gave him that contract was because they spent a stupid amount of draft capital to acquire him for the first place and didn’t want him to walk.

RE: Tunsil - Sled21 - 01-28-2022

Hard no on trading draft picks. LT is not our position of need. We can re-sign Reiff and grab a FA Right Guard, plus one more FA lineman for depth, and be fine.

RE: Tunsil - samhain - 01-28-2022

That's a big chunk of money.

If the Bengals only needed one difference maker on the line, then I could see it. Unfortunately, they need at least 2, maybe 3. A contract like Tunsil's would really limit what they could do to fix the interior or RT spots.

(01-28-2022, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hard no on trading draft picks. LT is not our position of need. We can re-sign Reiff and grab a FA Right Guard, plus one more FA lineman for depth, and be fine.

STRONGLY disagree. That leads you with a starting OL of...

Jonah Williams
Jackson Carman
Trey Hopkins
FA RG
Riley Reiff

That's no better than 2021's OL, which was terrible. 

Also I think Reiff is better as a superb backup for both T spots than a starting role at this point in his career, as you just can't rely on a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2015. That's a 34-year-old coming off 6 straight years of being banged up/injured. That's a recipe for having Prince as your starting RT again.

Bengals need to stop screwing around with the OL. Re-sign Spain, sign a quality FA C, sign a quality FA RG, draft a RT early. They are likely just an OL away from being SB favorites for the 2022 season. 

Championship window is open. Don't F it up by doing halfassed measures on the OL and let Burrow keep getting killed. Including the postseason, Burrow has been sacked 62 times this year (not counting all the numerous other hits or sacks taken away by penalty). That will take years off the backend of his career if you keep letting it happen. I want to watch Burrow play for at least 15 years, take care of business on the OL.

(01-28-2022, 10:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: STRONGLY disagree. That leads you with a starting OL of...

Jonah Williams
Jackson Carman
Trey Hopkins
FA RG
Riley Reiff

That's no better than 2021's OL, which was terrible. 

Also I think Reiff is better as a superb backup for both T spots than a starting role at this point in his career, as you just can't rely on a guy who hasn't played a full season since 2015. That's a 34-year-old coming off 6 straight years of being banged up/injured. That's a recipe for having Prince as your starting RT again.

Bengals need to stop screwing around with the OL. Re-sign Spain, sign a quality FA C, sign a quality FA RG, draft a RT early. They are likely just an OL away from being SB favorites for the 2022 season. 

Championship window is open. Don't F it up by doing halfassed measures on the OL and let Burrow keep getting killed. Including the postseason, Burrow has been sacked 62 times this year (not counting all the numerous other hits or sacks taken away by penalty). That will take years off the backend of his career if you keep letting it happen. I want to watch Burrow play for at least 15 years, take care of business on the OL.

I said one more linemen for depth, who if they are better than Carman or Hopkins so be it. And I didn't say it, but I expect they will also re-sign Big Spain at LG. So that leads to a starting lineup of Williams, Spain, Hopkins/FA, Carman/FA and Reiff/FA. If we pick up a RT, Reiff could potentially move inside or be there for depth.

RE: Tunsil - TecmoBengals - 01-28-2022

Give them a 6th rounder and call it a day. Houston is a dumpster fire organization right now and there is no way we should overpay them with a 2nd to 4th round pick. We'd be doing them a favor with any draft pick they can get.

RE: Tunsil - jj22 - 01-28-2022

I'm surprised people are still trying to roll with the majority of the same oline as this season? We need at least 4 new starters.

Williams isn't a guaranteed answer at LT and we'll need to replace him as I don't think he's the long term answer.
Spain only looks good compared to the other players but came up short along with the rest of the middle of the line when needed most and can be upgraded.
Hopkins - can be upgraded - sucks in run blocking, get's pushed back in pass blocking.
Right side is still a mess.

I don't think we trade a lot of picks for Tunsil. I will say that we went the rookie and draft route and that just hasn't worked out so I think signing proven vets would be the next best move.

Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league, and has been sacked a record number of times in the playoffs. 1 change to the oline isn't the answer.

(01-28-2022, 10:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I said one more linemen for depth, who if they are better than Carman or Hopkins so be it. And I didn't say it, but I expect they will also re-sign Big Spain at LG. So that leads to a starting lineup of Williams, Spain, Hopkins/FA, Carman/FA and Reiff/FA. If we pick up a RT, Reiff could potentially move inside or be there for depth.

Or... hear me out here on this wild idea. They don't dick around with a depth guy who may or may not be better than Carman or Hopkins, or who could potentially be a RT when Reiff inevitably gets hurt again... and instead just fix the F'ing line for real. For the first time in 6 years.

Burrow deserves better than the two OLs they've trotted out for him. 62 sacks in 18 games. Get real players who are actually good and actually reliable and go win a couple GD SBs.

(01-28-2022, 10:44 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'm surprised people are still trying to roll with the majority of the same oline as this season? We need at least 4 new starters.

Williams isn't a guaranteed answer at LT and we'll need to replace him as I don't think he's the long term answer.
Spain only looks good compared to the other players but came up short along with the rest of the middle of the line when needed most and can be upgraded.
Hopkins - can be upgraded - sucks in run blocking, get's pushed back in pass blocking.
Right side is still a mess.

I don't think we trade a lot of picks for Tunsil. I will say that we went the rookie and draft route and that just hasn't worked out so I think signing proven vets would be the next best move.

Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league, and has been sacked a record number of times in the playoffs. 1 change to the oline isn't the answer.

Well by your own statement, it is hard to judge a guy like Spain if he has a center beside him who sucks at run blocking and gets pushed back in pass blocking, right? I think Spain does a terrific job as long as the rest of the line beside him does not fold.

RE: Tunsil - XenoMorph - 01-28-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:32 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-trade-lt-laremy-tunsil-180420580.html

Man wouldn’t that be nice!!  The future is so damn exciting about the possibilities with this Team!!

26 mil just next year?  idk if i want to drop all that cap on 1 dude.  do want to upgrade OL not sure this is cost effective though

RE: Tunsil - jj22 - 01-28-2022

Some of these will get tagged, but if we go all in on the line in FA, there can be some good grabs.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2022OT.php

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2022G.php

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2022C.php

If we focus on the middle of the line

Laken Tomlinson
James Daniels
Brian Allen

Less expensive but good options if we sign 3

Mark Glowinsky (comes from a great Oline)
Evan Brown - Up and coming

RE: Tunsil - Whatever - 01-28-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:58 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Orlando Brown Jr fetched a late first, a 3rd, 4th and 5th but returned a 2nd and 6th. He was in the last year of a rookie contract but trading for him with 1 year on his contract basically guaranteed him a huge contract from the Chiefs, so it's not so far off from Tunsil's contract, just delayed by a year.

I think we could get Tunsil for our first round pick since he's more proven than Brown was.

The truth is, proven tackles aren't traded too often because they're so hard to find haha.

I don't see KC being able to afford to keep Brown.  They have $20 mil or so in cap space, but their other starting T, Mike Remmers, is also a UFA.  Their WR2 and WR3(Robertson and Pringle) are UFA's.  Honey Badger, Ward, and Sorensen in their secondary and Reed and Ingram on the DL are also all UFA's.