Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The elephant in the room - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The elephant in the room (/Thread-The-elephant-in-the-room--30959)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The elephant in the room - fredtoast - 02-06-2022

Our offense has not been running smoothly in the playoffs. Here are our regular season ranks followed by how our postseason numbers would have ranked in the regular season.

Yards........13th.....19th
Points....... 7th.....16th
Yds/play.... 7th.....20th

And it is not like we have faced a lot of good defenses

...........yds......pts
LV........14th....26th
TN.......12th.... 6th
KC.......27th.... 8th

Biggest concern is that we have only scored 5 tds in 32 possessions.

I think we are really missing Reif at RT.

RE: The elephant in the room - QueenCity - 02-06-2022

Hard to run a smooth offense when Joe has no time. No secret 99% of our losses this year has came against a loaded D-Line

RE: The elephant in the room - TecmoBengals - 02-06-2022

According to this site: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct, the Bengals red zone offense scoring percentage is 36.36% the last three games. This also reflects the offensive struggles in the playoffs. There is a reason Shooter is racking up the FGs. I hope Burrow and the squad fairs better against the Rams.

RE: The elephant in the room - Synric - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense has not been running smoothly in the playoffs.  Here are our regular season ranks followed by how our postseason numbers would have ranked in the regular season.

...........yds......pts
LV........14th....26th
TN.......12th.... 6th
KC.......27th.... 8th

The right side of the offensive line is struggling. Alot has to do with poor play but also communication. Also the entire offensive line has been very inconsistent run blocking had that has been exposed 10 fold in the playoffs. Trey Hopkins is especially bad as a run blocker.

RE: The elephant in the room - phil413 - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: According to this site: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct, the Bengals red zone offense scoring percentage is 36.36% the last three games. This also reflects the offensive struggles in the playoffs. There is a reason Shooter is racking up the FGs. I hope Burrow and the squad fairs better against the Rams.

Yeah this is the elephant, that or the thing we don't want to talk about like if someone happens to catch something that isn't a football. 

RE: The elephant in the room - TheFan - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense has not been running smoothly in the playoffs.  Here are our regular season ranks followed by how our postseason numbers would have ranked in the regular season.

...........yds......pts
LV........14th....26th
TN.......12th.... 6th
KC.......27th.... 8th

I haven't gone back to look at the stats but I feel like scoring typically goes down in the playoffs. Refs start calling way less so it's harder for offenses to play the same since holding, PI, etc aren't being called anywhere near as much which extends drives. This is in addition to defenders being able to get away with more against receivers.

For us specifically, even being able to slow our receivers down an extra .5 by being more handsy is huge. I think that's where the deficiency of our oline really shows up even if it's not all just sacks.

RE: The elephant in the room - Science Friction - 02-06-2022

A very depressing thread. I think I'll just skip watching the game since our OL has no shot against these HOF'ers in blue and yellow.

The Ravens put up 19 points with their pitiful offense. Shouldn't we be able to do at least 7 better than that?

RE: The elephant in the room - Synric - 02-06-2022

Everything comes back to an inconsistent rush offense... the redzone woes, the poor pass blocking etc.

How was SF three TD's better overall in their three games with the vaunted Rams' defense this season?

How did the lowly Texans lay 22 on them? The Cardinals, who lost seems like five in a row at home to end the season put up 37 on the Rams at LA and thoroughly dominated them. Why is that?

I know Life Without Riley is not ideal, but can we not put up enough scores to win this game? The Ravens ( 8 win team)almost did and gashed them for 165 yards . How did they do it? The Niners and Cards both smashed them. How did they do it? If our OL gives us no chance maybe I should just take my kitty cats out for a stroll next Sunday instead of watching a game whose outcome is not in doubt.

RE: The elephant in the room - bfine32 - 02-06-2022

Defense wins Championships

RE: The elephant in the room - Von Cichlid - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:37 PM)TheFan Wrote: I haven't gone back to look at the stats but I feel like scoring typically goes down in the playoffs. Refs start calling way less so it's harder for offenses to play the same since holding, PI, etc aren't being called anywhere near as much which extends drives. This is in addition to defenders being able to get away with more against receivers.

For us specifically, even being able to slow our receivers down an extra .5 by being more handsy is huge. I think that's where the deficiency of our oline really shows up even if it's not all just sacks.

This is the way I am kind of looking at it too.  The Dallas offense was bad, as was NE, Tennessee, Arizona, Green Bay, and Philadelphia. Even LA was bad the last two weeks except for the 1st half against Tampa and the 2nd half against SF.  

The only Super Bowl teams I can think of that won it with offense were NE against ATL and PHI against NE.  Otherwise, most games have been a slugfest for nearly the entire contest.

I would give anything for our offense to somehow turn it on, but I just don't think it is going to happen.  The key for us will be to not let LA's offense turn it on either.  We are going to have to confuse Stafford like we did Mahomes in the 2nd half, and we will have to make plays on defense like the Tennessee game.

On offense, we will have to weather what will likely be a storm in the 1st half.  If we can keep the game close, then I expect Burrow to adapt and hopefully be able to find and exploit some weaknesses in the LA defense in the 2nd half. 

RE: The elephant in the room - michaelsean - 02-06-2022

Two of those defenses are in the top ten scoring defenses so they’re pretty good. It really does come down to red zone efficiency. Is been very bad. I don’t know the cause of that, but there seems to be huge pressure when they get in the red zone. Coaches need to figure something out.

RE: The elephant in the room - ochocincos - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:18 PM)Synric Wrote: The right side of the offensive line is struggling. Alot has to do with poor play but also communication. Also the entire offensive line has been very inconsistent run blocking had that has been exposed 10 fold in the playoffs. Trey Hopkins is especially bad as a run blocker.

Indeed. Mixon is averaging under 3.7 YPC in postseason.
Hopkins and Adeniji specifically are terrible run blockers (Adeniji also bad as pass blocker).

One does have to wonder if it's better to activate XSF from the PS for the Super Bowl to bring at least a boost to pass blocking at RG, as both Adeniji and Carman have not been good in that aspect.

I do wonder if Adeniji might be more effective if he put on some mass. Only 300 lb playing OG. Gets manhandled often.

If the Bengals want to run the ball more effectively, they need to have Carman at RG. He's the best RG in that aspect.

Reading this thread, it seems we don't stand much of a chance. Is there any other team besides LA that you think we would have stood a chance against in this Superbowl. TB? GB? DAL ? SF?

Again, week 18 : Rams 20 Ravens 19 ( Ravens led 19-14 late) ; Ravens had 165 yards rushing.

Bengals outscored Ravens 82- 38.

I'm not seeing how this is a lost cause.

RE: The elephant in the room - Frank Booth - 02-06-2022

I’ve been telling everyone I know that this game against the Rams will be up to the defense and special teams to win. Have to win the turnover battle too

RE: The elephant in the room - PocketAces32 - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 04:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Everything comes back to an inconsistent rush offense... the redzone woes, the poor pass blocking etc.

(02-06-2022, 05:03 PM)Science Friction Wrote: How was SF three TD's better overall in their three games with the vaunted Rams' defense this season?

How did the lowly Texans lay 22 on them? The Cardinals, who lost seems like five in a row at home to end the season put up 37 on the Rams at LA and thoroughly dominated them. Why is that?

I know Life Without Riley is not ideal, but can we not put up enough scores to win this game? The Ravens ( 8 win team)almost did and gashed them for 165 yards . How did they do it? The Niners and Cards both smashed them. How did they do it? If our OL gives us no chance maybe I should just take my kitty cats out for a stroll next Sunday instead of watching a game whose outcome is not in doubt.

You do realize the Rams were up 31-0 on Houston and pulled their starters even if it almost back fired. The Defense the Bengals will see on Sunday is not the same one Arizona faced at LA in week 4, not even close.

RE: The elephant in the room - impactplaya - 02-06-2022

I would have think after 20 weeks worth
Of film on a offense, DC and the assistants have have every
Answer for offensive formations, down and distance , a offense's
Tendacies and patterns , personel groupings. Etc
Im.just curious if Callhan and Taylor will put a wrinkle
In the offense and show the Rams something they didnt prepare for.
This is the game you leave no stone unturned.

RE: The elephant in the room - TheFan - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 05:13 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Reading this thread, it seems we don't stand much of a chance.  Is there any other team besides LA that you think we would have stood a chance against in this Superbowl.    TB?   GB?    DAL ?   SF?

Again,   week 18 :  Rams 20  Ravens  19  ( Ravens led 19-14 late) ; Ravens had 165 yards rushing.

Bengals outscored Ravens  82- 38.  

I'm not seeing how this is a lost cause.

Why do people think that any post or thread not talking about the Bengals blowing out the Rams is somehow saying we have no chance? Who here in this entire forum has said they don't believe we can win this game? 

RE: The elephant in the room - TecmoBengals - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 05:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Defense wins Championships

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: The elephant in the room - NUGDUKWE - 02-06-2022

...........yds......pts
LV........14th....26th
TN.......12th.... 6th
KC.......27th.... 8th

I the defenses we've played are probably better than they're rankings. The Raiders had strung together some wins to make the playoffs. They also were only rushing for and dropping a lot in coverage especially in the redzone at least I read that somewhere. The Titans and KC play a lot better on defense at home. The Titans specifically played really well on defense.

The offense has struggled though and I'm not sure what the causes for the redzone struggles have been. Protection breakdowns or possibly being conservative to ensure 3pts. I really think are two biggest issues on offense outside of the Oline is missing on the explosive plays. Specifically with the ball thrown down field. I may be wrong but it I think our two biggest plays were the screen to Chase and screen to Perine. Also I feel we our giving something away in the run game. Not only did we run it a million times on 1st down against KC. But against Tenn I noticed few times the Tenn. players crowding up on the line presnap and even once noticed the DE point in the direction that we ultimately ran the ball.

I think your right about Reiff and it is really a shame that he's missing the biggest part of the year to not only help us now. But also give us a good evaluation if we should be signing for 1-3 more yrs. As it stands now I'd like to bring him back but I couldn't see it for being more than a year maybe 2.