Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Florio revives old narrative - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Florio revives old narrative (/Thread-Florio-revives-old-narrative)

Pages: 1 2 3

Florio revives old narrative - pally - 02-09-2022

Quote:Quarterback Joe Burrow has clearly transformed the Bengals’ franchise in just two seasons, with the team traveling out to Los Angeles to play in Super Bowl LVI on Tuesday.

But did the young quarterback from Athens, Ohio think about forcing the Bengals’ hand into allowing him to play elsewhere?

“I never thought about telling the Bengals not to draft me or anything like that,” Burrow said in his Monday press conference. “I was just happy to be in the position that I was in, being the potential No. 1 pick. That was exciting for me. I would never throw that opportunity away.”

Burrow has taken full advantage of being with the Bengals by bringing Cincinnati to the Super Bowl in his second season. But as pointed out by Mike Florio on Monday’s episode of PFT Live from the Super Bowl — and detailed further in Playmakers — if Burrow was not from Ohio, three’s a chance Burrow would have gone the way of Eli Manning and refused to play for Cincinnati.

Fortunately for the Bengals, we’ll never know what would’ve happened in that scenario. And Cincinnati could have a Lombardi Trophy to show for it in a few days.

So despite Joe's multiple denials, Florio still claims the only reason he chose to accept the Bengals is because he is from Ohio

RE: Florio revives old narrative - motoarch - 02-09-2022

hard eye-roll

RE: Florio revives old narrative - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 02-09-2022

Sometimes it’s best just to ignore people rather than amplify their message.

I wish the media would do that with everything Kardashian and Kanye related.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - WeezyBengal - 02-09-2022

He just won't give it up, will he?

What a boner.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - Interceptor - 02-09-2022

So Florio is right and the universe is wrong. Mellow

RE: Florio revives old narrative - Big Boss - 02-09-2022

It must be fun getting paid to make stuff up.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - ochocincos - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 10:38 AM)pally Wrote: So despite Joe's multiple denials, Florio still claims the only reason he chose to accept the Bengals is because he is from Ohio

I'm still trying to understand how Cincinnati is somehow a worse destination than places like Detroit, Cleveland, or Buffalo.
DET gets to play in a dome, but everything else is worse.
CLE really is a more miserable city than southern Ohio, and they've lost far more than the Bengals the past two decades.
BUF also is not growing. I was there this past Summer visiting family. Other than seeing Niagara Falls and maybe the short hop over to Toronto, there's not much in BUF other than some good food.
Plus, the weather is terrible in all three of those other cities compared to Cincy.

I don't really understand the narrative that the franchise is terrible either.
Sure, there's no indoor practice facility right next door owned by the Bengals, but they only need to use it a few times a year, so I don't think it's a big deal to share with UC.
The stadium itself, while lacking some features, shouldn't really matter to the players.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - George Cantstandya - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 11:04 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He just won't give it up, will he?

What a boner.

He's like that.  He gets on a topic and then goes on and on about it.  Then even when he is wrong he still goes on about it with a bunch of "what ifs" and "maybes".    I noticed his upcoming book was mentioned in the article Pally quoted.  I would not read his book if he gave it too me for free with a few hundred dollar bills tucked in the pages.    

RE: Florio revives old narrative - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 12:13 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: He's like that.  He gets on a topic and then goes on and on about it.  Then even when he is wrong he still goes on about it with a bunch of "what ifs" and "maybes".    I noticed his upcoming book was mentioned in the article Pally quoted.  I would not read his book if he gave it too me for free with a few hundred dollar bills tucked in the pages.    

I would.

I would take said book, filter through the pages to find said bills, then promptly return it to where I purchased it.

He's already gotten his money/royalties for the copies that have been printed and shipped, so me buying and returning it doesn't give him any more money.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - higgy100 - 02-09-2022

And just like most of you prior to last season who were also ready to give up on Taylor and the Bengals, nobody knows other than Burrow how he truly felt. Might be plenty of merit into that thinking in the months leading up to the draft. You really think Burrow would share that at this point? There was plenty of smoke either generated by the rumor mill or of fact of this thought process.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - TecmoBengals - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 11:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm still trying to understand how Cincinnati is somehow a worse destination than places like Detroit, Cleveland, or Buffalo.
DET gets to play in a dome, but everything else is worse.
CLE really is a more miserable city than southern Ohio, and they've lost far more than the Bengals the past two decades.
BUF also is not growing. I was there this past Summer visiting family. Other than seeing Niagara Falls and maybe the short hop over to Toronto, there's not much in BUF other than some good food.
Plus, the weather is terrible in all three of those other cities compared to Cincy.

I don't really understand the narrative that the franchise is terrible either.
Sure, there's no indoor practice facility right next door owned by the Bengals, but they only need to use it a few times a year, so I don't think it's a big deal to share with UC.
The stadium itself, while lacking some features, shouldn't really matter to the players.

Anecdotal, but when I lived in Colorado the Denver sports talk scene often talked about how players should come to Denver because of the great Colorado weather and environment (excluding the bad hail and snow) and it never failed, they always took a jab at the cities you listed including Cincinnati. "Why would anyone want to play for and live in..." DMac, Vic Lombardi, Mark Schlereth, Alfred Williams (the former Bengals player), Joel Klatt and other respected guys who were enjoyable to listen to always defended beloved Colorado at the expense of other places. I found it to be a strange narrative.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - XenoMorph - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 10:38 AM)pally Wrote: So despite Joe's multiple denials, Florio still claims the only reason he chose to accept the Bengals is because he is from Ohio

Does anyone Still give Florio any creditability?

RE: Florio revives old narrative - ochocincos - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Does anyone Still give Florio any creditability?

Maybe SLIGHTLY more than the likes of Bayless, Cowherd, and Stephen A. Smith?
But about same tier, TBH.

(02-09-2022, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe SLIGHTLY more than the likes of Bayless, Cowherd, and Stephen A. Smith?
But about same tier, TBH.

I'll bump Cowherd over Florio on the list but only because he acknowledges his job is to get ratings and that his takes are all about driving discussion to increase ratings and make money. I might not like what's being said, but at least he's open about it.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - XenoMorph - 02-09-2022

the funniest thing is this narrative was only with PFT rumor mill

RE: Florio revives old narrative - MileHighGrowler - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 01:00 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'll bump Cowherd over Florio on the list but only because he acknowledges his job is to get ratings and that his takes are all about driving discussion to increase ratings and make money. I might not like what's being said, but at least he's open about it.

Weirdly I'd agree with you on this.  Not weird to agree with you, but weird to agree on Cowherd.  I used to listen to him all the time and he actually was a fairly thoughtful person and had some interesting takes.  He was honest about bringing up certain things for ratings, and sometimes he ranted like a lunatic about things.  He certainly wouldn't be my go-to for sports news, but I feel he's more transparent and as a result has more credibility than Florio who pretends to be an expert and makes things up under the guise that it's real news. 

RE: Florio revives old narrative - JaggedJimmyJay - 02-09-2022

Thread revives Florio reviving the old narrative

RE: Florio revives old narrative - Earendil - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 12:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Anecdotal, but when I lived in Colorado the Denver sports talk scene often talked about how players should come to Denver because of the great Colorado weather and environment (excluding the bad hail and snow) and it never failed, they always took a jab at the cities you listed including Cincinnati. "Why would anyone want to play for and live in..." DMac, Vic Lombardi, Mark Schlereth, Alfred Williams (the former Bengals player), Joel Klatt and other respected guys who were enjoyable to listen to always defended beloved Colorado at the expense of other places. I found it to be a strange narrative.

Colorado is a bit like California in that anything outside the state isn't worth discussion to them. They can't imagine why someone would live anywhere else. My kids say "Find someone who loves you as much as Coloradoans love talking about Colorado."

When we told people we were moving to Florida, you would have thought we told them we were moving to Mars.

(02-09-2022, 01:19 PM)Earendil Wrote: Colorado is a bit like California in that anything outside the state isn't worth discussion to them. They can't imagine why someone would live anywhere else. My kids say "Find someone who loves you as much as Coloradoans love talking about Colorado."

When we told people we were moving to Florida, you would have thought we told them we were moving to Mars.

This is so spot on. When my Colorado friends, who proudly had the "Native" bumper sticker, learned I was moving back to Ohio one would have thought I was committing high treason against the state.

I do miss my mountain views and when the weather is on it's A-game, it is lovely.

RE: Florio revives old narrative - MileHighGrowler - 02-09-2022

(02-09-2022, 01:19 PM)Earendil Wrote: Colorado is a bit like California in that anything outside the state isn't worth discussion to them. They can't imagine why someone would live anywhere else. My kids say "Find someone who loves you as much as Coloradoans love talking about Colorado."

(02-09-2022, 01:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This is so spot on. When my Colorado friends, who proudly had the "Native" bumper sticker, learned I was moving back to Ohio one would have thought I was committing high treason against the state.

I do miss my mountain views and when the weather is on it's A-game, it is lovely.

When I see a "Native" bumper sticker I can expect to not get along with the driver. There's a lot of pride in the state. CA and TX have immense pride as well (though for Texas I've never really understood, because it seems it's just driven by the size of the state and not much else). I guess when you've got 1,000 people a week moving to your state (CO) it's easy to feel that way. I moved here because I like the mountains and it was a hotspot for my industry. But I'll leave for somewhere warmer eventually. It's crowded and expensive (and getting more of both) and I don't ski and don't like winter. But summer here is pretty awesome.

I think in general, outside of Colorado, most of the coastal states feel whatever is in between is just wasteland with nothing to offer. No ocean, no mountains. I think coasters feel somewhat trapped in landlocked states. Heck, I felt that way when I moved to Colorado after spending almost 7 years in CA, even though I was in Ohio through college. But of the midwestern "boring" states and cities, they all offer their own charm and experiences, it's just that a lot of people don't see it because it's not flashy.