Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. (/Thread-Dave-Chappelle-is-against-affordable-housing)

Pages: 1 2

Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - SunsetBengal - 02-10-2022

At least he doesn't want it near his business entities, where the people who work for those entities might live.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-village-scraps-plan-with-affordable-housing-after-dave-chappelle-threatens-to-pull-his-businesses/ar-AATFsxW?ocid=msedgntp

Quote:An Ohio village Monday failed to approve a zoning ordinance that included dozens of affordable housing units after opposition from comedian Dave Chappelle, who called the Village Council "clowns" and threatened that his business ventures would be "off the table."

Yellow Springs, Chappelle's hometown, is the planned site of the entertainer's restaurant, Firehouse Eatery, and comedy club, Live from YS, which are under development in an old village firehouse, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported last year.

Chappelle has previously threatened to pull his business investments from the town if the development were approved as proposed. He has not publicly specified exactly what he opposes in the plan.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Belsnickel - 02-10-2022

I'm not surprised.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 11:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least he doesn't want it near his business entities, where the people who work for those entities might live.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-village-scraps-plan-with-affordable-housing-after-dave-chappelle-threatens-to-pull-his-businesses/ar-AATFsxW?ocid=msedgntp

Absolutely everyone is against this if it happens in their neighborhood.  Maxine Waters would lose her shit if they built a twenty unit section eight apartment complex next to her private residence.  Look, I live in one of the hardest places in the nation to buy a home, so I rented into my forties.  Now that I own a home I'd fight tooth and nail against any "affordable housing" they tried to erect in my neighborhood.  Luckily I live in Orange County, where they didn't buy too much into this woke bullshit.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Belsnickel - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 12:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Absolutely everyone is against this if it happens in their neighborhood.  Maxine Waters would lose her shit if they built a twenty unit section eight apartment complex next to her private residence.  Look, I live in one of the hardest places in the nation to buy a home, so I rented into my forties.  Now that I own a home I'd fight tooth and nail against any "affordable housing" they tried to erect in my neighborhood.  Luckily I live in Orange County, where they didn't buy too much into this woke bullshit.

I actually advocated for affordable housing near my house. I live in a college town where there is a surplus of housing designed for college students. They were looking to put in a development that would just increase that surplus and I went to City Council advocating for a development designed for lower income families, instead. But, I have also always been in lower income areas until I bought this house. When I was born, we lived in an old coal company town. When we moved here we lived in the "black" part of town and my friends all lives in the subsidized housing. It's just the norm for me.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - CKwi88 - 02-10-2022

It's almost as if the struggle is actually economically driven rather than race driven.

But yeah, NIMBYS are a problem. I moved to a suburb where the people will consistently ***** about any tax/utility bill/etc. The sect of conservative voters that is more "I care more about my wallet than other people". But when there was a plan to put in a grid of solar panels? All hell breaks out because it would "look ugly".

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - basballguy - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 12:31 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's almost as if the struggle is actually economically driven rather than race driven.

But yeah, NIMBYS are a problem. I moved to a suburb where the people will consistently ***** about any tax/utility bill/etc. The sect of conservative voters that is more "I care more about my wallet than other people". But when there was a plan to put in a grid of solar panels? All hell breaks out because it would "look ugly".

How you manage to constantly make things a right vs left issue is mind numbing.

Chappelle is reacting how most people would react that aren't already living near section 8 housing or a mobile home park or any other area.  

I"m not saying it's right but it's not unique to any one demographic.  

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - SunsetBengal - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 12:31 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's almost as if the struggle is actually economically driven rather than race driven.

Aren't most solar farms required to have a landscape buffer?  At least they have been, in every project that I've ever Surveyed on for solar.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - GMDino - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 12:44 PM)basballguy Wrote: How you manage to constantly make things a right vs left issue is mind numbing.

Chappelle is reacting how most people would react that aren't already living near section 8 housing or a mobile home park or any other area.  

I"m not saying it's right but it's not unique to any one demographic.  

But he didn't make the housing left/right.  He said it was economically driven.  That could be white/black, left/right, etc.

The example he used was personal so I'll assume he knew the people he called "conservative leaning".

(02-10-2022, 01:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aren't most solar farms required to have a landscape buffer?  At least they have been, in every project that I've ever Surveyed on for solar.

One house in our area put up a huge array in their yard, but back off the road.  Nothing around it.  But I'm not sure of the requirements in PA.

Also the home, big and beautiful btw, is located right next to a trailer park.  

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - StrictlyBiz - 02-10-2022

I saw this thread earlier and didn't respond because I honestly don't have an opinion. I really don't know the whole story, nor am I familiar with the town or the proposal(s) themselves in order to form an educated opinion. Knee-jerk reacting to a headline and/or brief article is never good especially when it turns out that it isn't really what you thought and now you're forced to spin your way out of it or (gasp) admit that you were wrong.

That being said, this came across my YT suggestions this morning and provides a little more insight. Take it for what you will, but at least watch it and try to learn a little more....

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - StrictlyBiz - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 01:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aren't most solar farms required to have a landscape buffer?  At least they have been, in every project that I've ever Surveyed on for solar.

Lol, come to my neighborhood. I live in a middle class subdivision of roughly .3 acre lots and one of the residents actually put up two humungous solar panels in his backyard (they take up the majority of it). He did everything legit as there were at the time (since changed) no ordinances to stop him. The 'hood went ballistic and tried to get them removed. It didn't work. Personally, I really don't care because I only see them when Im coming into the neighborhood. I would probably be a little more pissed if I lived on his cul de sac. 

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Dill - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 01:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: But he didn't make the housing left/right.  He said it was economically driven.  That could be white/black, left/right, etc.

The example he used was personal so I'll assume he knew the people he called "conservative leaning".

I think Bels took a "leftist" position here. (Good for him.)

Economics, and especially housing, are not separate from left or right issues.

It's just that most Americans are liberal center or right, not left, and "individualist" regardless of demographic.

So when they own homes or businesses, their individual interests dominate, especially property interests.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 01:37 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I saw this thread earlier and didn't respond because I honestly don't have an opinion. I really don't know the whole story, nor am I familiar with the town or the proposal(s) themselves in order to form an educated opinion. Knee-jerk reacting to a headline and/or brief article is never good especially when it turns out that it isn't really what you thought and now you're forced to spin your way out of it or (gasp) admit that you were wrong.

That being said, this came across my YT suggestions this morning and provides a little more insight. Take it for what you will, but at least watch it and try to learn a little more....

Dave committed the absolute worst sin for the left, he's a black man who doesn't buy into every single one of their talking points.  He's been branded a bigot and therefore they will use absolutely any opportunity they can to paint him in a bad light.  They being the main stream media.

(02-10-2022, 01:42 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Lol, come to my neighborhood. I live in a middle class subdivision of roughly .3 acre lots and one of the residents actually put up two humungous solar panels in his backyard (they take up the majority of it). He did everything legit as there were at the time (since changed) no ordinances to stop him. The 'hood went ballistic and tried to get them removed. It didn't work. Personally, I really don't care because I only see them when Im coming into the neighborhood. I would probably be a little more pissed if I lived on his cul de sac. 

Near my father's neighborhood in NC, there is a 12 acre solar farm just a mile away.  However, you'd likely not even notice it without being told it was there because there is a 100' wooded buffer all the way around.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - CKwi88 - 02-10-2022

I s**t you not, the plans even had one. Didn't stop them from complaining about it. 

One of the mods of the Facebook group is an avid drone flier and lamented that his aerial shots of the town would be ruined. One example, I know, but still absurd.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - Nately120 - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 02:34 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I s**t you not, the plans even had one. Didn't stop them from complaining about it. 

One of the mods of the Facebook group is an avid drone flier and lamented that his aerial shots of the town would be ruined. One example, I know, but still absurd.

I take it there is no actual way to make solar panels look like the American or confederate flag so people would stop getting upset at the sight of them.

RE: Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing.. - treee - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 01:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dave committed the absolute worst sin for the left, he's a black man who doesn't buy into every single one of their talking points.  He's been branded a bigot and therefore they will use absolutely any opportunity they can to paint him in a bad light.  They being the main stream media
Nakedly partisan. You're going to criticize the LEFT for being lockstep ideologically? Really? Main stream media? You mean Fox, the news channel with he highest ratings? Come on Jack, you can do better than that. 

(02-10-2022, 03:07 PM)treee Wrote: Nakedly partisan. You're going to criticize the LEFT for being lockstep ideologically? Really? Main stream media? You mean Fox, the news channel with he highest ratings? Come on Jack, you can do better than that. 

It should ne noted that they were not planning on building "projects" or "low income housing".

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/video-yellow-springs-votes-no-on-housing-plan-after-chappelle-others-speak-up/WFSD7UXAYVECLOFCZPWU4IV4FE/

[/url]
Quote:[url=https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/]LOCAL NEWS
By Eileen McClory, Dayton Daily News
Feb 8, 2022

Development can still move forward, but without affordable housing component

Oberer Homes can move forward with a new development in Yellow Springs, but without an affordable housing component initially promised to the village, after council voted against the village’s own plan Monday night.

The village and Oberer had worked together to produce a plan that would include duplexes and affordable housing along with single-family homes in a 53-acre area along Spillan Road at the south edge of town.

The village initially asked for the development to advance affordable housing in the village, including an area that the village would later be able to develop into affordable housing, as well as more duplexes and townhomes.

But Monday night, after complaints from numerous residents, including comedian Dave Chappelle, village council voted 2-2 with one member recusing himself on the revised “planned unit development” zoning.
TED
That means the zoning reverts to what was previously approved, with 143 single-family homes on the lot, with the homes starting at about $300,000, according to village documents. The village annexed about 34 acres of the land into the village last summer.

The development that council voted on Monday night would have included 64 single-family homes, 52 duplexes and 24 townhomes with an additional 1.75 acres to be donated to the community for affordable housing to be built later.

The Yellow Springs village council president wrote a memo describing the housing plans.

[Image: fb2e3cc585584563b3aaab6212362bb9-0001.jpg]post a picture

Multiple Yellow Springs villagers, including entertainer Dave Chappelle, lobbied against the project. Chappelle even threatened to pull his business interests from the village, which include a plan for a restaurant called “Firehouse Eatery” and comedy club called “Live from YS.”

Chappelle’s company, Iron Table Holdings LLC, bought the former Miami Twp. fire station at 225 Corry St. in December.

Chappelle repeated his threat again on Monday night in the village council meeting.

“I am not bluffing,” he said. “I will take it all off the table.”

Other villagers cited concerns with traffic flow, problems with a proposed homeowner’s association and issues with water management, but several villagers said they also felt that council had not included them in the process with Oberer.

One resident, Matthew Kirk, a member of the citizen’s board who worked on the project, said he was initially excited but his view later “soured.” He argued that the plan was really two projects rather than one: a single-family home development next to a condo development.

“I think it’s important to kind of understand the framing and also understand how those products attract different homebuyers,” Kirk said.

Two council members, Brian Housh and Marianne McQueen, voted for the revised project mixing homes, duplexes and townhomes. Council members Carmen Brown and Lisa Kreeger voted against the project. Kevin Stokes, who lives near the project and previously expressed concerns about traffic, recused himself because he felt he had a personal interest in the vote.

(02-10-2022, 04:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: It should ne noted that they were not planning on building "projects" or "low income housing".

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/video-yellow-springs-votes-no-on-housing-plan-after-chappelle-others-speak-up/WFSD7UXAYVECLOFCZPWU4IV4FE/

[url=https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/][/url]

Then why did the DDN article say that development could still move on, but without the affordable housing component?

(02-10-2022, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Then why did the DDN article say that development could still move on, but without the affordable housing component?

The way I'm reading "affordable housing" isn't = low income housing.