Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The last play - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: The last play (/Thread-The-last-play)

Pages: 1 2

The last play - Oasis5055 - 02-14-2022

Chase is open on the bottom. But the receiver on the top comes wide open as well before Ramsey fell down

Seems like this play was a microcosm for the failure to adjust anything. Burrow steps right into Donald’s lane and gets consumed before he can see anything

A roll 3 steps right or left on this play and about 6
Other plays gets him more time.

Also If they averaged 4.8 a carry…play action would have worked. It did on the touchdown. What happened after that? Why won’t the bengals media ask these questions

RE: The last play - Interceptor - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 07:11 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Chase is open on the bottom. But the receiver on the top comes wide open as well before Ramsey fell down

Seems like this play was a microcosm for the failure to adjust anything. Burrow steps right into Donald’s lane and gets consumed before he can see anything

A roll 3 steps right  or left on this play and about 6

Also If they averaged 4.8 a carry…play action would have worked. It did on the touchdown. What happened after that? Why won’t the bengals media ask these questions

Because Bengals are gonna Bengal. I think two weeks was too much time that they probably ended up overthinking things and outcoached themselves.

RE: The last play - Nately120 - 02-14-2022

HOF pass rush versus XFL o-line...maybe I'm just underthinking things.

RE: The last play - kalibengal - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 07:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: HOF pass rush versus XFL o-line...maybe I'm just underthinking things.

you are being generous on the XFL comparison.
Its  a steaming pile of garbage and needs to be gutted at ALL positions, yes even Jonah W needs to be looked at. 

RE: The last play - swilson3828 - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 07:11 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Chase is open on the bottom. But the receiver on the top comes wide open as well before Ramsey fell down

A roll 3 steps right  or left on this play and about 6

I've seen this, BUT did you see how quickly Donald blew past the O lineman?  Donald wen't pretty much untouched to Burrow.  Then again Donald was offsides lining up too

RE: The last play - Fan_in_Kettering - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 08:59 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: I've seen this, BUT did you see how quickly Donald blew past the O lineman?  Donald wen't pretty much untouched to Burrow.  Then again Donald was offsides lining up too

Aaron Donald could have lined up next to the linebackers and still beat Hakeem Adeniji like a rented mule.

RE: The last play - Au165 - 02-14-2022

The LB under the slant following the flat route flashes and pauses under Higgins stopping Joe from throwing the slant. That hitch basically forces him off that read and kills the play.

RE: The last play - swilson3828 - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 09:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Aaron Donald could have lined up next to the linebackers and still beat Hakeem Adeniji like a rented mule.

No doubt about it.  Burrow didn't have any time AT ALL

RE: The last play - Joelist - 02-14-2022

Once they decided to throw on 4th and 1 they NEEDED to use Max Protect to ensure Burrow had some time to process.

RE: The last play - Oasis5055 - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 10:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Once they decided to throw on 4th and 1 they NEEDED to use Max Protect to ensure Burrow had some time to process.

Two backs in the backfield one solely to block Donald. It’s pathetic they didn’t do this once during the game. I mean what do you lose by doing this? At worse he finds no one open instead of ending up on his back and almost wrecking his career again and again

RE: The last play - jj22 - 02-14-2022

Shoulda coulda woulda. Makes for a long offseason.

So close to bringing legitimacy to the City and Organization. Being the darlings of the league.

Back to the drawing board.

RE: The last play - THE PISTONS - 02-15-2022

Crazy thought, but what if they put Sample or even a backup Tackle in as a fb by Burrow.

RE: The last play - 007BengalsFan - 02-15-2022

(02-14-2022, 09:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Aaron Donald could have lined up next to the linebackers and still beat Hakeem Adeniji like a rented mule.

On that last play Donald blew past Spain not Adeniji.  But yes Adeniji was just as bad

One thing to point out is how great of a throw Burrow made while he was being thrown down.  Perine could have caught that.  Perine just let the ball bounce at his feet and made no real effort to try to catch it.  If that had been Giovani Bernard, I believe that's a catch

RE: The last play - fisherscatfan - 02-15-2022

The other part of the play that I haven’t seen anyone mention is the obvious defensive holding on Tyler Boyd.  Watch the replay and Boyd is absolutely mugged.

https://twitter.com/ledbetter2323/status/1493126690595225600?s=21

RE: The last play - Nicomo Cosca - 02-15-2022

(02-15-2022, 12:32 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: On that last play Donald blew past Spain not Adeniji.  But yes Adeniji was just as bad

One thing to point out is how great of a throw Burrow made while he was being thrown down.  Perine could have caught that.  Perine just let the ball bounce at his feet and made no real effort to try to catch it.  If that had been Giovani Bernard, I believe that's a catch

I need some different angles to see how close it really was, but the “effort” by Perine on a 4th and 1 for the Super Bowl was absolutely pathetic. The fact that the guy couldn’t be bothered to dive for it in that situation makes me want him off this team. That was some John Ross shit.

Btw I heard James Rapien mention on the Locked On podcast yesterday that after the last play Chase took off his helmet and slammed it so hard on the ground he was surprised it didn’t break into pieces. That’s exactly how pissed off I want our star players to be in that situation.

RE: The last play - MileHighGrowler - 02-15-2022

(02-14-2022, 11:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Shoulda coulda woulda. Makes for a long offseason.

So close to bringing legitimacy to the City and Organization. Being the darlings of the league.

Back to the drawing board.

The team being expected to finish last in the division and making the playoffs, beating the #1 seed in the Conference and the Chiefs on the road to get there, a young exciting core group of players and seemingly the whole country rooting for them, I think they're pretty legitimate now.  I don't think it's back to the drawing board at all.  They just need to build on what they did.  It will be harder next year to get back, because they'll have a target on their backs all season and the grind will be longer for everyone looking ahead to a SB.  But this team is set to succeed.  

Traveling this weekend, I can tell you people before and after the game were excited about the Bengals and their future.  There is a vocal minority talking about how they didn't belong and it was a fluke and they won't be back.  But by and large, the franchise wrote a new chapter and changed the mindset of many this year.  Let's see where they take it. 

RE: The last play - Housh - 02-15-2022

I just watched the play back maybe 100 times. Burrow didn’t look back right because 1 he had Uzomah wide open and 2 he had no time to go through progressions. Burrow used that pump fake to freeze the defender guarding the slant and it WORKED. Look at that play again yall. That pump fake worked and the defenders jumped to the slant. Burrow was gonna hit Uzomah if he had more time. The defender actually made such a stupid ass play it’s insane. He takes a slant route that was already guarded to perfection and leaves Uzomah wide open 2 yards beyond the first down. But let’s say that wasn’t open.

There was only 1 area Burrow could’ve ran and it was to his right. And even then he would’ve had to started running AT SNAP. Cause Spain and Hopkins got beat so quickly and decisively. The DT was in a full sprint by the time Burrow finished it his 2 step drop. Trey Hopkins literally didn’t even get a hand on the DT. He was blocking air. The RG and RT were standing up their blockers pretty well but there was really no scramble room. If Burrow scrambled those guys would’ve tackled him easily because they would’ve disengaged the blocks and gotten Joe. It almost looked like Von Miller was kinda on a 1/2 QB spy. When his initial push failed he kinda played

RE: The last play - impactplaya - 02-15-2022

On that 4th and 1 thats when you execute a play that the Rams are
Totally unprepared for or you show a personel package not yet
Ran in the game.

I don't understand why if you are having issues with Miller and Donald
Getting penetration in the B C gaps, then line up Sample or Uzomah in the
Backfield to pick up.the leakage.
I mean thats why Sample was drafted right, cause he was such
A devastating blocker in college?
That 4th and 1-should have had misdirection written all over
Or sending Chase in motion to occupy the eyes of defense.
That empty backfield stuff if not blocked up in.concert
All it takes is for one to slip.through to ruin it.
A play action boot pass would have done the trick.
Have Sample or Higgins block down then release in the flat.If it aint
There then Joe keeps it , and goes out of bounds

RE: The last play - Oasis5055 - 02-15-2022

(02-15-2022, 01:14 PM)impactplaya Wrote: On that 4th and 1 thats when you execute a play that the Rams are
Totally unprepared for or you show a personel package not yet
Ran in the game.

I don't understand why if you are having issues with Miller and Donald
Getting penetration in the B C gaps, then line up Sample or Uzomah in the
Backfield to pick up.the leakage.
I mean thats why Sample was drafted right, cause he was such
A devastating blocker in college?
That 4th and 1-should have had misdirection written all over
Or sending Chase in motion to occupy the eyes of defense.
That empty backfield stuff if not blocked up in.concert
All it takes is for one to slip.through to ruin it.
A play action boot pass would have done the trick.
Have Sample or Higgins block down then release in the flat.If it aint
There then Joe keeps it , and goes out of bounds

Everything being said about the last play can be said about every other play where burrow gets sacked in the second half after the rams made the half time adjustment to bring more pressure. The bengals made no adjustments to their blocking schemes or formations (2 backs, extra tight end, more pre snap motion, play action, roll outs etc) to at least force the rams to do adjust or pause and think. The rams got the same shotgun formation and bengals blocking scheme that they saw on film for 2 week s on 90 percent of the Super Bowl
It is ridiculous how easy the bengals made it for them.

There was absolutely no attempt whatsoever. For 2 weeks you had to prepare you knew your line was horrible and the rams would do certain stunts to bring even more pressure. The first half the rams didn’t. The second half they started stunting.

It’s like they just ignored it and hoped for the best when some simple adjustments might have made an enormous difference is giving Burrow 1-2 more seconds on several plays. That would have been a difference.

This isn’t junior varsity high school football. Very disturbing that head coach and offensive coordinator at this level made no adjustments to at least show the rams a different formation than what they have seen on film and prepared for 2 weeks

RE: The last play - 007BengalsFan - 02-15-2022

Here is the last play for anyone that wants to see it

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-aaron-donald-s-pressure-on-burrow-seals-super-bowl-lvi-win-for-r